Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like, 'Hey, players, how would you like to play a game where the secret conspiracy is the Jedi are actually terrible and you have to unmask them before they take over the New Republic and complete the master plan they started with Luke' is the sane, rational way to check interest in that kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Like, 'Hey, players, how would you like to play a game where the secret conspiracy is the Jedi are actually terrible and you have to unmask them before they take over the New Republic and complete the master plan they started with Luke' is the sane, rational way to check interest in that kind of game.

It wouldn't be as much fun if I knew the secret conspiracy before even rolling up characters - just warn them that some of the core assumptions will be altered. Or if you had a really long-running campaign, subtly lead up to that as the capstone of the whole thing without irrevocably committing until near the end.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like bait-and-switch games were considered a cool thing to do at one point, I remember that I used to see threads about them on RPGnet all the time, almost always some variation of "Hey I want to pull a bait and switch on my group, is this a good idea or the best idea y/n?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I dunno, obviously I'd give my group a heads up of 'hey this skin basically involves me being a horribly emotionally abusive dickbag to the point of poo poo like self harm and all, that cool?' but I don't think I, the player, would feel too bad playing a character like that. I just think that the skin fits the supernatural creature well, and being on point should be a good thing for this stuff considering how much we've had to wade through that boiled down to 'the writer kinda didn't understand the concept they're going for here'. I hardly think it's my favorite skin ever or think it's really even top three or whatever, but I can dig the just unrepentant 'yea I'm going to make everyone around me hurt' in a game where emotional manipulation and abuse is already A Thing.

I wouldn't permit that skin for precisely that reason: there's nothing to it but hurting people and getting away from pursuers. Even the Ghoul brings more to the table than that, mechanically. With a Harpy, the character is very likely going to always be an abusive rear end in a top hat because that's all that the Skin does.

On the other hand, it's an excellent villain kit.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Shouldn't bait-and-switch games be done with eyes open? I mean, I would expect a game with evil Jedi to at least give a heads up like, say, "we'll be using some assumptions from KOTOR 2 about how the Jedi aren't as great as they make themselves out to be, so make your characters along that lines."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

32 hours

Play Dirty part 6: "This guy is The Enemy."

Hahaha ffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this guy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I've written most of this very quickly, and on second thought realized it's problematic to upend basic setting assumptions, because at a certain point you're not playing in that setting anymore. So you're absolutely right. It might still work for some settings, that's practically standard practice for Amber, but for Star Wars it would be too much to do without warning. Mind, as we'll see, Wick has no issue with lying to players about the game they'll actually be playing.

Yeah, I was just commenting in general. It definitely works with more loosely defined settings-- you've got a lot of latitude for loving around with Greyhawk, and I remember Kwyndig putting a really awesome spin on the Paragons setting for M&M, but Star Wars? Not so much. Amber's a good counter, because sudden upsets and shocking revelations are the name of that game.

What really throws me off is that you've got all of this passive-aggressive poo poo, twisting genre and setting expectations, and... collaborative worldbuilding. How on Earth do you get people to volunteer setting elements that can and will be used against them? You figure they might learn better after having their sheets used against them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

Shouldn't bait-and-switch games be done with eyes open? I mean, I would expect a game with evil Jedi to at least give a heads up like, say, "we'll be using some assumptions from KOTOR 2 about how the Jedi aren't as great as they make themselves out to be, so make your characters along that lines."

Okay but then by definition it's not a bait-and-switch game. Literally the whole point of such a game is "players go in under one set of assumptions, GM then throws those assumptions out the window." You thought we were playing dungeon crawling D&D but surprise it turns out it's actually Star Wars and you guys are just on a backwater planet, here come the TIE fighters (literally a thing I saw someone describe). Or, closer to the topic, you thought we were playing a game of swashbuckling high seas adventure but surprise it's actually a game about weird aliens or Cthulhu or some poo poo, what the gently caress was 7th Sea's metaplot again, oh and there's no sailing going on either.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bait and Switch can, however, work in one specific circumstance: When you're playing with people you know well and you know the thing you're doing is something they really like. But it's something that requires a long term relationship with a play group, and a lot of foreshadowing. And as was said above, always leave your options open to bail on the concept if they're really enjoying the original assumptions or don't bite on the foreshadowing.

Like, if you're setting up some Weird War II poo poo, and you notice your players are actually mostly just really excited to play the 101st airborne or someone spots a hint and groans 'gently caress, dark wizard nazis, that's where this is going' you should leave it open to back out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, even with a group that you're long-term friends with and you all know and trust each other, pitching a game in one direction then yanking it in another is a great way to gently caress things up because if everybody's on-board with your pitch then that's what they want to play.

I mean, there are degrees. If in the course of playing through your D&D campaign it turns out that the organization the players thought was good and noble actually turns out to be a secret evil conspiracy that's not on the same level as "and now we'll play Star Wars only I'm changing everything around and not telling you so your reasonable assumptions can get you into trouble, tee hee."

Also something Alien Rope Burn didn't explicitly touch on that's worth highlighting is that Wick has an entire chapter dedicated to passive aggressively (or just straight up aggressively) trolling players who bring minmaxed loners and aren't engaged with the game, when the very tricks and tactics he's been espousing in previous chapters are exactly how players fall into those sorts of habits.

John Wick posted:

[After I had my GMPC kill off her grandmother for no reason other than to be a huge rear end in a top hat] Malice retired the very next day and nobody bought a DNPC again.

He's proud of this, but then goes on to complain about lone wolf minmaxers who'd rather play Starcraft than engage with his games. Go figure.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Davin Valkri posted:

Yea basically. You don't have to say 'ok guys heads up in this game Mace Windu actually fell to the dark side as some feared and has been slowly corrupting the Jedi order from his position of power into a more martial and authoritarian order than they were meant to be' but you should give a heads up of 'ok just as a heads up in this game we'll be going with the view on Jedi that they have some dark stuff bubbling under their zen monk stuff'. And yea, if the answer is 'yea, we'd like to try to fix the order then' maybe the best thing to do is to shift gears into less 'the Jedi slaughtered a planet and now there's a civil war!!!!!' and more to 'you found some hosed up poo poo being planned, now you have to try to appeal to your allies to prevent this'.

Twists are fun, and can be great in storytelling, but there's no real fun about smugly going 'and you were WORKING FOR THE BAD GUY THIS WHOLE TIME BUAHAHAHAHA' when you haven't even hinted at that before. Like yea, no poo poo, the guy who's playing the entire world has the ability to declare the shining noble paladin conclave you've been helping Actually The Real Monster, he still has to make it kinda interesting.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I remember Kwyndig putting a really awesome spin on the Paragons setting for M&M,

When/where was this? It sounds interesting.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

John Wick posted:

When Rules Lawyer Bob gets hit with a blind spell, blindfold him.

What? Even by the standards of the rest of this advice, what?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Night10194 posted:

Bait and Switch can, however, work in one specific circumstance: When you're playing with people you know well and you know the thing you're doing is something they really like. But it's something that requires a long term relationship with a play group, and a lot of foreshadowing. And as was said above, always leave your options open to bail on the concept if they're really enjoying the original assumptions or don't bite on the foreshadowing.

Like, if you're setting up some Weird War II poo poo, and you notice your players are actually mostly just really excited to play the 101st airborne or someone spots a hint and groans 'gently caress, dark wizard nazis, that's where this is going' you should leave it open to back out.

My thoughts as well. Basically, there's nothing wrong with subverting expectations...so long as you know your group well enough to know that they're going to be fine with the direction you're taking things and your decisions don't invalidate any of the character decisions (for instance having a D&D games where the gods die and divine magic is gone...when there's a cleric in the party).

These sort of twists or surprises can be extremely effective and that effect is largely lost if you spell it out ahead of time. But it's even worse if it ends up pissing off everyone at the table.

For instance, in a Star Wars game I was running I decided I was a bit bored with the whole "rebels vs. imperials" thing and decided to mix things up by throwing some cthulhu mythos into the mix. Basically started making the primary antagonists a group of cultists who worship beings that live in Hyperspace. And it worked fine because I knew my group would find the concept interesting and weren't particularly interested in Star Wars "canon".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
30 hours

Play Dirty part 7: "You get hit, you get hurt. You get hit again, you get killed."

John Wick posted:

I know what you need. Oh, yes. I do.

You have a problem with the way your game is playing, but you can’t quite put your finger on what’s wrong. But I know what’s wrong. Oh,
yes. I do.

Episode 5: Dirty Fighting

So John wants us to remove hit points to make combat more real. And gives us some ways to do it.

The first is basically a two-hit solution. You take one hit, you're wounded, you take two hits, you die. Oh, you don't like it? Well maybe you're just not brave enough or smart enough, Wick says. Realism, yo!

Then there's removing knowledge of hit points, which he credits to Jonathan Tweet or Danny Beech, where the GM rolls all the hit dice, keeps players' HP totals secret, and keeps all damage secret. You get a description of the damage and that's all.

The next suggestion follows the last, which is to give people bonuses for being descriptive in fights, but also have particular damage thresholds of PCs' hit points to describe particular wounds. He gets way, way into describing the gory ends PCs meet:

John Wick posted:

If a player takes a 25% hit to the left arm, his fingers go numb, blood sprays in his face on regular intervals and the pain shoots up his arm, into his neck just behind his eyes. Don’t forget the fact that all the pressure in his blood stream is now compromised, making his heart beat a lot faster and a lot stronger as it tries to compensate. He’ll lose a bit of his vision from the pain, experience disorientation and possibly black out from the tissue trauma.

Wick also mentions that you should reward creative and experimental moves in combat. Or that maybe you should require a "Wounding skill" to identify wound severity. "Yep, your arm's off." "I couldn't tell!" Then he discusses having one villain face off against a PC party, generally by pulling off every trick or advantage they can.

John Wick posted:

This is a mistake. Fighting a villain in his own lair, where he knows the terrain and they do not, is to his advantage. He knows all the safe places to hide. He knows where all the tricks and traps are. He’s not alone; he has his lair on his side. And, because Carter’s an Eagle Scout who follows the Scout’s motto, he’s prepared for such a contingency.

He has nerve gas to stun any characters who are susceptible to it. He has the floor wired for electrocution. He can kill the lights, grab the hidden infrared goggles and proceed to kick rear end.

Oh, shut up about Carter already. :(

There's a lot of :words: about how awesome Sun Tzu and Musashi are and how you should read their books.

John Wick posted:

So, your next combat should sound like this:

Player: I roll to hit. Succeed. Roll to damage. Ten hit points.

Game Master: The villain grabs your sword arm (dice roll). He succeeds. You can’t use your sword next round because your sword arm is tangled up.

Player: Uh. Okay. Roll for initiative?

Game Master: Sure. But you subtract two from your roll because you’re surprised.

(Dice roll.)

You lose?

Player: Uh, yeah.

Game Master: All right. He twists your arm. He rolls Strength. You roll Stamina. He gets a +5 because he’s got an arm bar on you.

Player: Uh, okay.

(Dice roll.)

Game Master: All right. The villain won. He takes you down to the ground. Now, he’s on top of you. You’re face down on the ground. He’s got your arm behind you, and your shoulder’s making strange sounds. He grabs hold of your hair and pulls your head up just before it comes slamming down into the castle’s stone floor.

Man, those dumb players, didn't they know they were walking into a real man's fight? :smuggo:

John Wick posted:

How did you react when Tyson bit off a piece of Holyfield’s ear? That’s how you were supposed to react. Unfortunately, it just pissed Holyfield off, but the plan was solid.

Yes, to champion dirty fighting, let's use an example where dirty fighting entirely backfired on Tyson. The thing is, this article is about a very particular kind of game. It's not a bad thing necessarily to be draconian with damage, but it's only one particular play style. It also ignores that all the planning, forethought, and creativity won't save you from a bad roll. And PCs take a lot more hits than NPCs do.

On to the next one.

Next: "It’s the reason I have such a problem with Star Trek."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 3, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carrasco posted:

What? Even by the standards of the rest of this advice, what?

Method roleplaying.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

John Wick posted:

Jesus loving Christ. :suicide:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

FATAL & Friends 2014: Christ, What An rear end in a top hat

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kellsterik posted:

When/where was this? It sounds interesting.

It was PBP stuff here, years ago now. He ran a staggered series of games based in part on events and characters from previous games, with house rules like making PCs at PL3 and having a suite of powers assigned by the GM at a dramatic moment, and a stash of mystery Power Points they could use to 'spin the wheel'. If I recall right, you'd declare you were spending X points on a spin, and you'd get a power that was guaranteed to be useful in the current situation, guaranteed to work the first time, and just about guaranteed to have some kind of drawback baked in. One character ended up with the ability to summon a Hound of Tindalos that was neutral to him at best, for example.

Oh, yeah. Killing paranormals released their superhuman energies into the surviving powered population. The PCs in the first game kept a tight lid on that one, hoping to avoid a Highlander scenario.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
John Wick is Bizarro Greg Stolze.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, there's the whole 'WELL GO TO REALISM UNLESS YOU'RE SCARED' thing. Realism can be fun. I still need to go back and do a review of Albedo like I was planning, but that's a game where the attempts to make things somewhat 'realistic' is an actual part of the tone, which is intended to drive home that even for a professional soldier, fighting is exhausting, stressful, dangerous, and all around lovely. But realism is a matter of tone, as are all mechanics. Mechanics are designed to reinforce the general feeling you're going for with your game; realism should only be your goal in mechanics if it's part of the goal in tone.

Also hahaha at the whole 'Cornering a guy in his home and taking him on 6 on 1? YOU FOOLS!' bit. That picture looks exactly like I always imagined Wick did, too.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The fact that Wick has kickstartered a second book of this poo poo proves everything ARB said in the first post wrong. Jesus Chist, if you are writing a second book on how to make your players absolutely loving miserable and "win" at a role meant to enable them, you haven't "grown," you're shooting backwards in time like Benjamin Button.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If Wicked wanted to "blindfold me for authenticity", I'd do it, then swing a PHB as hard as possible at his head. As I stomped and stomped, aiming for his disgusting facial hair, I'd ask if that was a critical hit, how many hit points he had left!?

Edit:
Also I hate that there's a John Wick movie. I assume Keanu smugly tells the camera operator how useless movies are, how unrealistic.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 3, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsieurChoc posted:

John Wick is Bizarro Greg Stolze.

My God, this is completely accurate. Stolze wants you to have a good time and do cool things, and his writing exists to enable the PCs and players to do these things, while Wick is trying to 'win' at something he already controls, like a little kid being proud of winning an FPS with godmode on.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Literally the only good idea in those pages is the "stop quoting Monty Python you goddamned nerds" rule, because Appcalypse World does the same thing with letting players contribute to world building without also telling them to die in a fire

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Don't forget "if you have to talk, whisper or pass a note." Tons of fun, that John Wick.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I feel like bait-and-switch games were considered a cool thing to do at one point, I remember that I used to see threads about them on RPGnet all the time, almost always some variation of "Hey I want to pull a bait and switch on my group, is this a good idea or the best idea y/n?"

And there are only two situations where it ever works. The first is if you know your players really really well (when you shouldn't be asking on a forum). The second is that it can work if you respect the characters and don't try to change them in the slightest. They were expecting what they were investigating to be a Mafia front; what you give them is either a Camarilla front or a Mythos Cult instead. (Or whatever). And do it while being careful to not change anything that's been established so far.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Also hahaha at the whole 'Cornering a guy in his home and taking him on 6 on 1? YOU FOOLS!' bit. That picture looks exactly like I always imagined Wick did, too.

Reading that, I thought, "This is a man who masturbates over the final act of Watchmen."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
22 hours

Play Dirty part 8: "Like Super Chicken says, 'You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.'"

John Wick posted:

Not too long ago, a group of friends and I were sitting around a table, listening to Dennis Leary’s No Cure For Cancer, laughing ourselves sick. One bit caught us by the collar and threw us down to the floor: the Doctor Leary Psychoanalytical Seminar. You don’t need to deal with issues of family, you don’t need to deal with “stress,” you don’t need to grasp your inner child. What you need is a good, swift kick in the backside.

“But my father, he abused me when I was...”

Whack! Shut the (insert obscenity here) up! Next!

“I don’t know what do to about my girlfriend, she...”

Whack! Shut the (another obscenity) up! Next!

In short, “Life is hard. Get a helmet.”

Episode 6: Get a Helmet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PzprzoQF1A

The Wick wisdom of this chapter. "Life isn't fair." It's a lot of :words: getting around to the topic of character death.

John Wick posted:

The first group are the Dicers. These folks insist that GMs don’t kill people, dice kill people. Of course, these are the same people who think guns fire themselves. Secondly, we have the Free Formers. These people insist that dice should never have influence over a character’s life. Of course, if you actually play in one of these games, you’ll soon find out that you’re playing second fiddle to the GMs NPCs while they tell you a story they could have done all on their own.

Uh-huh. So he talks about how Star Trek sucks because characters are static and nothing changes, and how it sucks that "this disease has crept into our industry", "polluting it with the same purile fan-boy fiction we see on Trek webpages". And by "change" he means "people dying".

First, he suggests having the PCs basically being supporting roles for the real heroes; he uses an example of a Star Trek game he was in where they were the expendable away team, while Kirk got to park his rear end in the command chair. And other examples. He tries to sell up being the sidekick. Well. A whole party of sidekicks.

Second is to bring dead PCs back and have them try and gun the PCs down for revenge! Or something. It's a Call of Cthulhu example where an abandoned-for-dead character comes back for revenge, but I think he's just trying to say as long as a character isn't shown dead, you can bring them back? I'm not sure.

Third is having the PC pick up an antagonist and turn them into a character. This is probably the most interesting bit in this chapter, I think, though Wick is so smug it's hard to swallow it down. He uses Batman's Talia as an example.

John Wick posted:

I was just watching Batman: The Animated Series with my wife and the villain was one of my all-time faves: R’as al-Ghul.

“Who?” my heretical wife asked. Ah, the naivete of youth.

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. :(

Anyway, Wick points out all he really wants to do is make sure players get hung up on preconceptions, like being invulnerable or that all NPCs are antagonists. Which is a more valuable lesson to ponder at the start of this article than the beginning, but Wick is so focused on trying to pace his articles like a zen koan that the point is easily missed. Mucking with that sort of thing isn't necessarily bad, but at the same time, not everybody is in RPing for my immersion.

On to the next one.

Next: "His name is Hunter Rose. He’s one of the crime lords of the city."

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Carter does sound like Max Lord, but my first reaction was Gregg 'Puppetman' Hartmann from the Wild Card stories. Of course this means I've publicly admitted to having read Wild Cards and thats bad.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
"I hate games where people are sidekicks to GMPCs."

"I make games where people are sidekicks to GMPCs so I can kill them off easier. Life Ain't Fair!"

If Wick did as much physical gymastics as he did mental ones, he would have been an Olympic athlete and he wouldn't have written this poison. Why the gently caress would you try and put such abject shite forwards as good GMing ideas? Go gently caress yourself, John Wick.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You see it in one of the last Bayushi Kachiko cards, the one that has "Uikku suku diku" written in kanji on the doorframe.
I just looked up the card: it's Bayushi Kachiko Experienced 2, and it's "Wick's [an] rear end (something?)". Definitely not "hole", but too smudgy for me to make out.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Then there's removing knowledge of hit points, which he credits to Jonathan Tweet or Danny Beech, where the GM rolls all the hit dice, keeps players' HP totals secret, and keeps all damage secret. You get a description of the damage and that's all.
I've heard of a number of systems doing that...as an extra flaw to represent nerve damage or being a golem or something like that, because it's such crucial information as a player and should be pretty obvious to the character (at least within certain thresholds).

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The next suggestion follows the last, which is to give people bonuses for being descriptive in fights, but also have particular damage thresholds of PCs' hit points to describe particular wounds.
I've heard the reverse of that in...I want to say literally every GMG/DMG/other book of roleplaying I've ever read, up to and including Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress. IIRC, that one had a progression of "you sort of hit" -> "you hit" -> "you REALLY hit" -> "he's REALLY hurting".

Golden Bee posted:

If Wicked wanted to "blindfold me for authenticity", I'd do it, then swing a PHB as hard as possible at his head. As I stomped and stomped, aiming for his disgusting facial hair, I'd ask if that was a critical hit, how many hit points he had left!?
I went looking for the "Bayushi Kachiko stripper" story, but couldn't find it. Wick+gaming+blindfold sets off every :frogsiren:gently caress EVERYTHING AND RUN:frogsiren: alarm I have.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AmiYumi posted:

I just looked up the card: it's Bayushi Kachiko Experienced 2, and it's "Wick's [an] rear end (something?)". Definitely not "hole", but too smudgy for me to make out.

It's just really bad Engrish. "Uikku suku diku" = "Wick Sucks Dick"

jadarx
May 25, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

uikku wa asu o kamu

kamu - to bite or chew

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

It's just really bad Engrish. "Uikku suku diku" = "Wick Sucks Dick"

It's not really Engrish! It's how you'd write those words in katakana! I mean, you'd not normally do that, but it works for hidden message.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

AmiYumi posted:

I've heard of a number of systems doing that...as an extra flaw to represent nerve damage or being a golem or something like that, because it's such crucial information as a player and should be pretty obvious to the character (at least within certain thresholds).

I thought this was a great idea when I was young, stupid, and railing at AD&D for not being realistic enough. I thought much less of it the one time we actually played with it, because the asshat GM wouldn't even let us know what our rested HP was. I'm pretty sure one of the party fighters rolled minimum, which made for a real barrel of laughs when he dropped every fight.

quote:

I went looking for the "Bayushi Kachiko stripper" story, but couldn't find it. Wick+gaming+blindfold sets off every :frogsiren:gently caress EVERYTHING AND RUN:frogsiren: alarm I have.

Ugh. That one made it into the L5R write-up somewhere, if you've got archives or if it's made it to the offsite wiki yet.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've never really flirted with realism in my games. I far prefer exciting, heroic (and sometimes bordering on or moving into over the top) action and such.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

jadarx posted:

uikku wa asu o kamu

kamu - to bite or chew
I stand corrected; that's what I get for going off GIS card scans, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Then we get a digression about how Wick can't get a non-gaming job, despite his game writing experience and winning awards, but since he doesn't own that work, he can't make money off of it. And so he quit AEG to make his own way... which he'd eventually find. I remember hearing people ask AEG employees when they'd get Wick back a long time ago. They'd laugh, maybe a bit nervously. Some bridge was burned. You see it in one of the last Bayushi Kachiko cards, the one that has "Uikku suku diku" written in kanji on the doorframe. There's the credits page for the Legend of the Five Rings RPG which credits a lot of last-minute work by a notable team of writers reworking Wick's manuscript. There's the Five Rings adventure I had playtested for Greg Stolze which saw Wick (and Ree Soesbee) rewriting the whole adventure without Stolze's input. There's the vitriol Wick has hissed about Ryan Dancey in other columns.
Evil Mastermind deserves applause for saving Wick's smug, rambling, self-aggrandizing review of D&D 3rd edition.

But what I really wish I could find was Ryan Dancey's reply to it. (I don't even remember where it was originated; probably on the RPGnet forums before the Great Crash that wiped out a bunch of old content.) Dancey pegs Wick as a guy who likes to imagine himself as "The Wick," a Hunter S. Thompson style mad genius, while his fellow creators are nebbish nerds. He even goes on to describe an elaborate fantasy where The Wick crashes that geek Ryan Dancey's dinner party, and the evening ends with The Wick drinking wine in the hot tub with all the ladies enraptured by his manly wit, while that geek Ryan Dancey looks on impotently. Dancey concludes by saying that John Wick is a friend of his, but The Wick is an intolerable rear end in a top hat.

(The joke was on us when it turned out that Dancey is also a self-aggrandizing flim-flam artist.)

• Locked thread