Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Bularin posted:

Tell that to the survivors of Ibleam. These sanctimonious fuckheads telling us they don't like it isn't the same as "can't."

Where were these guys and their buddies when Ibleam was sacked? Where were they when Og was bleeding out, trying to stop human sacrifice and dark magic? They openly admit that they wouldn't have intervened in the slaughter of a village in the inner lands. Why is there a demon pit waiting to open under their city? They have, at most, a passing distaste for wanton slavery. Their moral high ground is limited to "we're old" and "we're powerful" much like Ish, and we know what a relationship with him has gained us - clipped balls and the ability to do the job of a colander. With friends like that...

Voting B is just laying more tile for the plot railroad. "We promise we'll be good oh no surprise attack on someone/something we care about and only our magic can save them what a twist!"

Give us the other options, the ones to just say "gently caress this society, Og out." Not doing so just guarantees no one will choose it and lop sides the vote.

Hear, hear. I can't see B doing anything other than biting us in the rear end in the future, for exactly the reasons you outlined. It's also an incredibly boring choice for the already glacial pace of this game.

As far as in-world considerations go, it's worth noting that just because these creatures are omniscient doesn't mean that their conclusions are correct. What I'm reading here is that they have full access to all the information in the entire world, can see and know the entire picture at once- but that doesn't mean that they have the processing power to come up with infallibly reasoned judgements based on their knowledge, as their rather short-sighted agenda proves.

In other words, the idea that humans should be forever doomed to living short, brutal lives defined by ignorance and terror just because that seems 'meaningful' to the subjective instincts of more powerful beings does not fly with me. Let's be appropriately respectful, but gently caress kowtowing to these guys and assuming that they know best for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've voted to learn to make cool poo poo with smithing several times now. Most of our balls are financially secure enough to live comfortably on what they've made for a while. I wouldn't mind putting the boys on half-time to learn a skill or follow through on a project (mining, archery, Zepath civil poo poo). There's more to life than killing monsters, and I think we should show our Balls that this is the case! Maybe the more level headed of them will go in with us on something besides the murder economy.

I'm imagining hundreds of our men clad in armor on par with what we have now, patrolling the countryside on well made roads, protecting the outlying farms and mines that Zepath has never had but could really use.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

A Darker Porpoise posted:

♪Too many cooks!♪ :unsmigghh:

Loool

Anyway, #teamtruth vote* is A because I don't think we can live up to B, and even if we could I don't think that's for the best. I don't like their idea of balance, I'm pretty sure it'd have seen Ibleam destroyed. We can be super powerful and use it for meaningful/non-destructive (in every sense) purposes and I think we have an obligation to? Also, gently caress whomever is watching. We are not an abomination, we are not a slave, we do not need to be contained. Whatever the gently caress we are we were put here on the El-green planet to do some loving good.

but also Ishamal please keep teaching us :(

disclaimer: *I can vote for #teamtruth because I am it's only member :(

ALogo
May 9, 2014
Wait, screw smithing and cooking, Enkidel should learn the highest craft of all: pottery.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

ALogo posted:

Wait, screw smithing and cooking, Enkidel should learn the highest craft of all: pottery.

voting to quit zepath and go be a goat herd in honour of Azzazel

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

ALogo posted:

Clay golems :unsmigghh:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

ALogo posted:

Stop ruining the game with your railroading, team boring! :argh:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Ralith posted:

no, you see I'm going to be really mad and bitch constantly because most people don't agree with me, and I can't stand the idea of people being WRONG about an internet CYOA game

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

bonus hole boy posted:

no, you see I'm going to be really mad and bitch constantly because most people don't agree with me, and I can't stand the idea of people being WRONG about an internet CYOA game

But there are only so many threads you can have here in the game room bonus hole boy. Where ever could they find the room to make a new thread of their own liking?

Amazed
Dec 29, 2009
B

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Ralith posted:

I also voted for using notmagic on the assumption that Ish was only concerned that we might bottom out and go full hunger. Knowing the true state of affairs makes B an easy and obvious decision.

Yeah that's what I thought as well. The revelation that our dream was actually a rip in time/space because of unleashed power has troubling implications. What if arrow-time is the same deal and is actually stopping time across the universe? We don't know, but we do know it is causing problems.

I guess I mostly consider B as a giving up of arrow time and ball trance and similar abilities. And that's it. Everything else continues as normal. We can still learn and grow, just no time-space-psychic manipulations.

I get that people are already frustrated as hell with Ish and are voting A out of spite but its not like we can't reneg on this promise if we find out its all bullshit and we've got kickass untapped super powers with no side effects. But I'm not going to vote to just walk away and hope for that.

ALogo
May 9, 2014

Ralith posted:

That makes no sense, Lefkandi is the least boring NPC in the whole game.

B

Ask: "I have seemingly innate knowledge of when certain places are, in a sense, owned. Are these places under someone's or something's protection?"
"If any of you happen to see Asahel or Azz could you tell them I said 'thanks'?"

Diog, Is this place "owned"?

My ideas for what to do afterwards: Free our cook and see about either freeing or giving some pay to our other slaves. Train with Ish, the club, and the bow, but timeskip liberally until a few years after our kids' manhood trials. Then go on a journey to up to Seir then east to the Kadmonim Grasslands or, if our cook wants to go home, to Baitel and the grasslands beyond then back home via Seir. In order to prepare for the coming storm we need to get a broader understanding of the world and what's happening in it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
While these guys are handy, we should thank them for their patience with us throughout our lives, and for their wisdom concerning the treatment of men. Some of us, myself included, don't think these guys are doing quite the right thing with all their power. However, they could be doing far, far worse. Furthermore, disregarding whether you think they're actually justified in their fears or not, the amount of leeway, second chances, and forgiveness they've given us despite what they fear we might become is staggering. Even if they're completely wrong about everything, in their own view they're taking immense risks for our sake without hesitating.

ALogo posted:

That makes no sense, Lefkandi is the least boring NPC in the whole game.
Can't really argue with that.

Disargeria posted:

Yeah that's what I thought as well. The revelation that our dream was actually a rip in time/space because of unleashed power has troubling implications. What if arrow-time is the same deal and is actually stopping time across the universe? We don't know, but we do know it is causing problems.
That's actually the exact thought I had :ohdear:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

B, gearing everything towards learning laser arrows.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
B

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
By the way, Ark, where's your wife up to? I wanna hear her opinions on all this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's the night before our wedding all over again.
We're being given a choice in the same way telling someone "Give me all your money, or I'm going to break into your house and steal all of your money." Is a choice.

:smuggo: : "Heh, well it isn't OUR fault. You CHOSE to hand over all your cash, no point being mad about it now."

They can't outright force us, so instead they give us a "choice" that's nothing but a Catch 22. Either we let Ishamal put a collar on us, or Animal Control just happens to get an anonymous tip about us running loose around the neighborhood without any tags. That way, they get what they want without the pesky need to feel guilty over strong arming us into it.

I'd almost bet money that if they gave us a night to sleep on our choices, we'd have another "EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING IS DEAD AND IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT BECAUSE REASONS" Dream.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

the_steve posted:

It's the night before our wedding all over again.
We're being given a choice in the same way telling someone "Give me all your money, or I'm going to break into your house and steal all of your money." Is a choice.

:smuggo: : "Heh, well it isn't OUR fault. You CHOSE to hand over all your cash, no point being mad about it now."

They can't outright force us, so instead they give us a "choice" that's nothing but a Catch 22. Either we let Ishamal put a collar on us, or Animal Control just happens to get an anonymous tip about us running loose around the neighborhood without any tags. That way, they get what they want without the pesky need to feel guilty over strong arming us into it.

I'd almost bet money that if they gave us a night to sleep on our choices, we'd have another "EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING IS DEAD AND IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT BECAUSE REASONS" Dream.

It's not quite like that, you're implying some type of protection racket, when it's more like an insurance salesman in hurricaine alley. Yeah he's upped prices but it's HURRICAINE ALLEY.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hey, just had a thought.

Ask the little Melachim "Hey, so that was you I was chasing after back on the day of the pyre? You run pretty good, dude."

the_steve posted:

The analogy isn't a bad one, but only if you mentioned that the animal that needs collaring is a tiger that's already gnawed on a few people when it thought its handler wasn't looking. At which point, offering any choice at all DOES seems like a remarkable degree of forbearance as opposed to just stomping in with a giant dart gun going "OK TIME FOR EUTHANASIA!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

No, I think Protection Racket is the more apt of the two.

"Well, you can either sign on with us and accept these terms, and we'll pass on the message that everything is cool. Or, you're free to walk out the door here, but we can't guarantee that maybe someone beyond our jurisdiction is watching."

On a different note, I'm tickled that people are just assuming the A voters are doing it out of spite. Ok, maybe some of us are, but for the most part, I think we're choosing A because we're choosing freedom to make our own decisions, and use our own judgement to not kill everything.

I'd just as much accuse some B voters of being the spiteful ones.
There's a common chorus of "Enkidel is too stupid to be trusted to make his own decisions."
Except, Enkidel is Goons.
So basically, what I'm hearing is "Enkidel keeps doing things I voted against! He's obviously an out of control moron and NEEDS to have limitations on his life! Please have Enkidel apologize to everyone for constantly loving up by voting wrong!"

Edit:

Tomn posted:

The analogy isn't a bad one, but only if you mentioned that the animal that needs collaring is a tiger that's already gnawed on a few people when it thought its handler wasn't looking. At which point, offering any choice at all DOES seems like a remarkable degree of forbearance as opposed to just stomping in with a giant dart gun going "OK TIME FOR EUTHANASIA!"

Except we haven't mauled anyone. At worst, we've scratched the metaphysical furniture a few times. And, instead of spritzing us with the spray bottle when we did it, Ishamal instead waits a few years then neuters us.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 3, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pladdicus posted:

I don't like their idea of balance

l actually really like their concept of balance, because it's not some bullshit balance between good and evil, or light and dark, or even order and chaos. It's the balance between two good things: Improving people's lives and letting people think for themselves. It's a hard problem, which derives from the situation (loving people, wanting the best for people), and not an arbitrary mandate about what the universe must contain.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I wanna talk to Azz.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
B

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

B - I've always liked Ishamal. :shobon: I get why you guys are frustrated with him, but eh, that's the game!

I wonder is the fire-shout Uriah does is upsetting to balance.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

B

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nettle Soup posted:

Probably not. Near as I can tell, Enkidel is the only one capable of doing any wrong.
Uriah could be using Arrow Time to open his beer, and it'd be fine, but if we so much as take too long to nock an arrow, we're throwing the world over the edge into eternal chaos.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

B - I've always liked Ishamal. :shobon: I get why you guys are frustrated with him, but eh, that's the game!

Probably not since that's an ordinary Mighty Man thing he's just extra good at.

The issue isn't even the abilities themselves; it's not like casting Arrow Time is damaging the universe's fabric or weakening a barrier that keeps eldritch horrors out. Ishamal said that one of the options is to wander off into the wilderness and just go away forever, with no limitation on such abilities. Enkidel could cast Arrow Time a hundred times a day and master hitting the bullseye on a target at ever-increasing distances, and that's apparently ok.

The issue is that Enkidel lives in a realm of other people who are influenced by him, and he will inevitably use his abilities to help or harm them in increasingly impressive and powerful ways. We obviously haven't been informed of the exact situation but it seems like there's some grand plan going on with the Melachim watching carefully, and if Enkidel starts manifesting all sorts of incredible feats he'll start doing things he thinks is the right thing to do, turn it all to poo poo one way or another, and either the world will be destroyed or he will be destroyed by the Magic Police, or both.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

the_steve posted:

No, I think Protection Racket is the more apt of the two.

"Well, you can either sign on with us and accept these terms, and we'll pass on the message that everything is cool. Or, you're free to walk out the door here, but we can't guarantee that maybe someone beyond our jurisdiction is watching."

On a different note, I'm tickled that people are just assuming the A voters are doing it out of spite. Ok, maybe some of us are, but for the most part, I think we're choosing A because we're choosing freedom to make our own decisions, and use our own judgement to not kill everything.

I'd just as much accuse some B voters of being the spiteful ones.
There's a common chorus of "Enkidel is too stupid to be trusted to make his own decisions."
Except, Enkidel is Goons.
So basically, what I'm hearing is "Enkidel keeps doing things I voted against! He's obviously an out of control moron and NEEDS to have limitations on his life! Please have Enkidel apologize to everyone for constantly loving up by voting wrong!"

Edit:

Except we haven't mauled anyone. At worst, we've scratched the metaphysical furniture a few times. And, instead of spritzing us with the spray bottle when we did it, Ishamal instead waits a few years then neuters us.

Remember that time we voted to stop breathing and almost ate our dog? Oh noooo we can't do magic. Literally everyone with any amount of authority in our lives who wasn't a cannibal advised us or made us promise to not do magic until we know what we're doing. Hell, I'd bet Shushem would tell us not to do magic until we're ready. MAYBE THERE'S A GOOD REASON FOR THIS!?!?!?!?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 3, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

the_steve posted:

You know, I'm honestly kinda curious about something: Do you feel that it is safe to use our powers? Do you feel that using our powers is always going to lead to good, and will have no negative side effects either now or down the line, ever? That we know enough about our abilities to be able to confidently predict exactly how much trouble they will cause? That it's not causing any sort of screwy metaphysical weirdness which we're not aware of?

Because that's literally all that B is voting to limit - the use of our powers. That's it. Nothing else. It's not even saying "No powers, ever" - it's saying "No powers that Ishamal hasn't taught," which is to say that if he teaches us the use of other powers, THOSE we can use. Not only is that the only limit being placed on us, it's a limit we already agreed to once in the past and which we failed to adhere to. If you're voting A because you want the freedom to make our own decisions, you're straight-up telling the Melachim and Ishamal that they're wrong about the potentially dangerous side effects of our powers. Because clearly our uneducated asses know better than they do.

We would be in the position of a illiterate redneck telling a bunch of nuclear engineers "Well, I ain't mebbe got that thar fancy book-learnin' you got, but I knows a good thing when I sees one and I ain't see no reason why you boys got the right to stop me usin' the nu-klee-ar reactor I inherited howsomeever I sees fit. Radiation poisoning? Environmental damage? Pshaw! I ain't see nothin' bad happen from usin' it, y'all just tryin' to scare me into kowtowin' to the Federales! Don't you go tellin' me what I can and can't do with mah property!"

Even if Ishamal and the Melachim are being more cautious than they need to be (and they very well might, I'd agree), does it really seem like the best of decisions to go traipsing about on the edge of a highly dangerous unknown without a map or a guide? Or do you simply think that our powers aren't actually as dangerous as they say and that the Melachim are simply trying to control us and keep us down for their own nefarious ends?

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Anyone here on team hermit?

e: B voters are just statists

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

We would be in the position of a illiterate redneck telling a bunch of nuclear engineers "Well, I ain't mebbe got that thar fancy book-learnin' you got, but I knows a good thing when I sees one and I ain't see no reason why you boys got the right to stop me usin' the nu-klee-ar reactor I inherited howsomeever I sees fit. Radiation poisoning? Environmental damage? Pshaw! I ain't see nothin' bad happen from usin' it, y'all just tryin' to scare me into kowtowin' to the Federales! Don't you go tellin' me what I can and can't do with mah property!"

In this situation they're not even telling us to get rid of the reactor, we can keep it for heating and electricity, just don't use the fuel rods for deer hunting.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Basscop posted:

You using the anarchist definition, or the libertarian one?

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

paragon1 posted:

You using the anarchist definition, or the libertarian one?

The anarchist one.

I'm founding team anarchist hermit.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Im very doubtful that I will be able to stop myself from using powers if doing so might actually save a loves one.

I'm inclined to vote B. we're not getting anywhere experimenting on our own anyway. Ball trance is good. But it's also weird. I really do not like blacking out during a fight.

Arrow time is not as good. With enough training it should barely be needed.

C

Not exactly a lie. But I'm promising knowing that I will break it if a situation warrants it.

------------

Anyway. Setting up a mining camp and protecting it ourselves might be possible now. Make money. Improve Zepath subtly.

I wish we had asked about the souls of people dissipating or why we can talk to them and stuff.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

How does Snarls fit in with us being generally OP for the world?

FoxTerrier posted:

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else find it really, really funny that even the guardians of Zepath think the dudes in the interior are assholes? :allears:
About as funny as Diog picking up my calling them the "Doughnut of Douchebags" after only saying it once :v:

the_steve posted:

But let's break it down meta. Ishamal is one person.
If you really wanted to get meta, Ishamal is less than one person and maybe a capybara or two because of Diog having to split his brain to decide for multiple characters.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Shadeoses posted:

Probably not since that's an ordinary Mighty Man thing he's just extra good at.

The issue isn't even the abilities themselves; it's not like casting Arrow Time is damaging the universe's fabric or weakening a barrier that keeps eldritch horrors out. Ishamal said that one of the options is to wander off into the wilderness and just go away forever, with no limitation on such abilities. Enkidel could cast Arrow Time a hundred times a day and master hitting the bullseye on a target at ever-increasing distances, and that's apparently ok.

The issue is that Enkidel lives in a realm of other people who are influenced by him, and he will inevitably use his abilities to help or harm them in increasingly impressive and powerful ways. We obviously haven't been informed of the exact situation but it seems like there's some grand plan going on with the Melachim watching carefully, and if Enkidel starts manifesting all sorts of incredible feats he'll start doing things he thinks is the right thing to do, turn it all to poo poo one way or another, and either the world will be destroyed or he will be destroyed by the Magic Police, or both.

Essentially this is as if Hera, Hephaestus and Athena decided to interfere in how Prometheus grew up in the hopes that he'll become their tame dog and not steal fire for men

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm not saying that we'll 100% use our powers with no negative outcomes, because that's impossible for anyone to promise.

I'm saying we can be selective enough in the usage of our powers that we can be trusted with the little hammer that breaks our "In Case of Emergency" glass, without needing to let Ishamal keep it in a sealed vault and only let us look at it on alternating Tuesdays if we're good.

Had we adhered to No Magic Except the Cantrips Ishamal Taught Us, we'd have died in Ibleam. Us, Snarls, Danal, the Balls, and thousands of civilians would be dead or enslaved because we didn't use Ball Trance.

We used Arrow Time for a selfish reason when we killed the Battle Toad.
At the time, I'd wager most of us thought nothing of that, at least until now.

Now, we know that's the sort of thing that sends red flags to the mods. Not necessarily because it harms us, but because it tells them that we're using hacks.
Armed with this information, I'm willing to put faith in us that we would avoid using Arrow Time on future monster hunts, and would only use it for Good, rather than Profit or Glory.

That's what I'm saying when I vote A.

As to the Nuclear Plant analogy, we're uneducated but we aren't stupid. If those stuck up engineers would let us read the loving owners manual, we'd be able to do right by it, but every time we ask to look at it, we get "Noooo! You'll just use it to enrich uranium and build nukes because you're reckless and stupid!"

I've said before that we obviously don't have access to the raw data that Ishamal and the Council of 3 do, but we DO have an advantage in that with all of their information, they only have their own perspective and personal biases to make decisions with it.
With Enkidel, we have dozens of simultaneous perspectives to analyze and debate any given piece of data. Everyone brings their own perspectives and biases, and we're able to distill it down into a good response.

So no, we don't "know" better, but if given the information, we can more thoroughly digest it and come up with viewpoints that the others may not consider.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 3, 2014

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Had a good hard think about this and I'm in favor of H. I love Ishamal, Naomi, Tudiya, Danal, Zeb, Paebal, and all these other characters, but the longer we stay the more problems we will cause. It's time to leave the company of men behind. I am in favor of Asking for long enough to say goodbye before we do so, however.

Edit: Voting H makes me very sad, but it is the only option I can support. I would love to support B, but goons would break the promise. Guaranteed. At least, if H wins, Bularin will never have to see Ruth again.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALogo
May 9, 2014

Basscop posted:

I'd be okay with hermitting after the wife dies. And we learn some crafts so we can build a kickass hermit hut.