Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I feel like there were 50 things I wanted to stop and replay but there was too much going on, absolutely amazing game. the ruck speed and 10 metres was frustrating at times but overall the game was fantastic so maybe 1 ref is the way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Best league game I've seen in a while, especially that first half.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

I feel like there were 50 things I wanted to stop and replay but there was too much going on, absolutely amazing game. the ruck speed and 10 metres was frustrating at times but overall the game was fantastic so maybe 1 ref is the way to go?
Make some gifs for the OP next season while your at it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know it was a forward pass but that last "try" was a pretty good put down

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

A Good Result

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Adam Blair to the Broncos. As much as we laughed abouyt the Blair siginin by the Tigers and his past form, he had a good season from what I saw, and a a great 4 Nations. Why are the Tigers systematically dumping their select few players who had a good 2014?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It frees up a lot of money for the Tigers who paid overs for him to play like poo poo bar one year

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

He has had one decent year for us and the rest of the time was terrible, I'm not too upset to see the back of him.

Now which terrible overhyped player will we buy in his place?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

He has had one decent year for us and the rest of the time was terrible, I'm not too upset to see the back of him.

Now which terrible overhyped player will we buy in his place?

According to Jason Taylor (lol your coach is Jason Taylor), they have no plans to buy anyone. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/63313277/Kiwis-star-Adam-Blair-signs-with-Broncos

quote:

Brisbane's extreme makeover under Wayne Bennett has shown no sign of slowing down, with the Broncos signing Tigers and New Zealand prop Adam Blair on a three-year deal.

Blair was released from the final year of his Tigers contract today and was immediately trumpeted by the Broncos, who have secured his services for 2015 and beyond.

The Broncos have already parted ways with frontrowers David Hala (Titans), Ben Hannant (Cowboys) and Martin Kennedy (Roosters) and were in the market for some firepower in the pack.

Blair played a hand in New Zealand's Four Nations victory over Australia on the Saturday, where he started at prop as the Kiwis recorded a 22-18 victory.

The 28-year-old has played 192 NRL games, 30 Tests and won a grand final with the Storm in 2009. He joined the Tigers in 2012 but produced mixed form in Sydney.

Brisbane chief executive Paul White said Blair added representative experience to a pack that is strong on backrowers but needing some muscle in the middle of the park.

"Adam is a highly-experienced player. He has enormous experience at both NRL and representative level and will bring toughness and leadership.

"At 111kg, he will also add some more size to our forward stocks."

Brisbane's lack of punch in the forwards became apparent last season, with the side struggling to match physical attributes with power sides such as premiers South Sydney.

Blair will partly solve that issue and joins Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Mitch Garbutt and James Garvet as new faces at Red Hill.

Tigers coach Jason Taylor said the club wished Blair success and would continue to plan for long-term success, with Blair's departure freeing salary cap room.

"By releasing Adam and a couple of other players recently we have had some relief in the salary cap," Taylor said.

"But I need to make it clear this doesn't mean that we're going to signing up players between now and the start of the 2015 season.

"I can assure Wests Tigers members and supporters that we have a clear recruitment strategy."

They must be in backloaded contract salary cap hell.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

According to Jason Taylor (lol your coach is Jason Taylor), they have no plans to buy anyone. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/63313277/Kiwis-star-Adam-Blair-signs-with-Broncos

They must be in backloaded contract salary cap hell.

I just hope he means that he has plans already and won't just go into "spend spend spend" mode now they've got some cash.

Hopefully.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

I just hope he means that he has plans already and won't just go into "spend spend spend" mode now they've got some cash.

Hopefully.

The article changed before I linked it, previous version had a quote saying they had no intention of signing anybody and were happy with what they had :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he's holding out for SBW

ili
Jul 26, 2003

loving Adam loving Bleh. Sure he might get back to somewhere near his Storm form at a more structured club like the Broncos, but still. Don't want him, don't need him and it sets a dangerous precedent. Before you know it we'll be signing Chris Sandow.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

ili posted:

loving Adam loving Bleh. Sure he might get back to somewhere near his Storm form at a more structured club like the Broncos, but still. Don't want him, don't need him and it sets a dangerous precedent. Before you know it we'll be signing Chris Sandow.

Nah I think it's a good signing for Brisbane, Blair played well last season and was great for the Kiwis. Broncos have a massive gap in their squad where the front rowers should be so they needed to sign somebody

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And they probably actually paid a reasonable price for him

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Think we'll see much movement from the Warriors now they've released Mateo and Neilson (is that confirmed yet btw?)

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Think we'll see much movement from the Warriors now they've released Mateo and Neilson (is that confirmed yet btw?)

YES NO TAKEBACKS IT'S SIGNED HAHA

I'm sure we're trying to get a 5/8 (Foran) or a centre (Matai) but it's tough convincing guys to come over here from Australia if they're established over there. Offloading Watmough and Glenn Stewart has eased Manly's salary cap issues as well so I don't know if those are possibilities anymore either. I did hear a rumour that Eastwood was on the outs at the Bulldogs, would be an upgrade over Ikahihifo at lock.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anasta claiming tonight that he hasn't been paid yet and several other players haven't either. Great, another load of fuel for the tigers' fire.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

Nah I think it's a good signing for Brisbane, Blair played well last season and was great for the Kiwis. Broncos have a massive gap in their squad where the front rowers should be so they needed to sign somebody

Sure I get your points but still disappointed that the somebody was Adam Blair. I don't see any Tigers fans rending their clothes and wailing in abject despair at the loss of a popular and well-performing player. We just booted our very own Martin Kennedy but then turned around a bought the Wests Tiger's version as his replacement.

Still he's here now and hopefully shows what he's capable of at a club where the coach, captain, staff and board are all actually working together.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Kennedy really had a woeful season compared to 2013 and Hala/Hannant weren't impressive either, I'm glad they're gone. Broncos also have James Gavet and Mitch Garbutt coming next year but being excited about new players seems like a really optimistic attitude right now as a Broncos supporter. Then again Hook is gone as well so who knows.

Overall though I'm just really glad the Broncos have apparently signed the best accountant in the business

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Twitter tells me you guys have finally got rid of Nielsen
I was correct

Nielson signs with Drag Queens

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Best Warriors jersey ever?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Their jersey department just never stops working, does it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

iajanus posted:

Their jersey department just never stops working, does it.

It's actually pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

It's actually pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Apparently every side has 6 official jerseys, it's just that ours have way more variety than other clubs. Also we have different jerseys for the u20s which I'm not sure other teams do.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

:slick:

ili posted:

Sure I get your points but still disappointed that the somebody was Adam Blair. I don't see any Tigers fans rending their clothes and wailing in abject despair at the loss of a popular and well-performing player. We just booted our very own Martin Kennedy but then turned around a bought the Wests Tiger's version as his replacement.

Still he's here now and hopefully shows what he's capable of at a club where the coach, captain, staff and board are all actually working together.

Losing Hannant confuses me, I know he wasn't great last year but I'd still take a chance on him.

Red_Museum posted:

Best Warriors jersey ever?

I like this quite a lot.

Smorgasbord posted:

Apparently every side has 6 official jerseys, it's just that ours have way more variety than other clubs. Also we have different jerseys for the u20s which I'm not sure other teams do.

Yeah, we're just very big on promoting (and selling) them, along with the training jerseys too. I like having different U20s and reserve grade jerseys- it makes it clear that there's only one first grade jersey in the club.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

Losing Hannant confuses me, I know he wasn't great last year but I'd still take a chance on him.

Aye, I wanted Hannant to stay. He hasn't been superb lately but when firing he was a good rep front rower. But then I heard he went and played a local grade rugby union match for a central Queensland team during a bye week this year without getting permission from or even informing the club. If that's true it would explain why we didn't even offer him a cheap contract.

E: the Broncos definitely have different u20s jerseys to the NRL ones. I thought every club did?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

ili posted:

Aye, I wanted Hannant to stay. He hasn't been superb lately but when firing he was a good rep front rower. But then I heard he went and played a local grade rugby union match for a central Queensland team during a bye week this year without getting permission from or even informing the club. If that's true it would explain why we didn't even offer him a cheap contract.

E: the Broncos definitely have different u20s jerseys to the NRL ones. I thought every club did?

If he was shitlisted for playing amateur union while under contract, that's fair enough. It did seem odd that Kennedy continued to be picked in first grade when Hannant was obviously outperforming him.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Jono C posted:

If he was shitlisted for playing amateur union while under contract, that's fair enough. It did seem odd that Kennedy continued to be picked in first grade when Hannant was obviously outperforming him.

Why would he even do that, that's stupider than running through a hotel door.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Smorgasbord posted:

When your entire country only has the one team, you need to make it count!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Anasta claiming tonight that he hasn't been paid yet and several other players haven't either. Great, another load of fuel for the tigers' fire.

I just read the SMH article on this. One thing I find interesting is that the NRL went completely apeshit at Tinkler when the Knights hosed up payroll, how is the Tigers situation different, other than the number of players involved? Anasta suggesting that Austin, Blair and Thompson being released for cap/cash reasons has merit.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Except it could be about third party deals gone wrong, which is not a wholly tigers phenom (sup gasnier).

Austin was never going to stay, blair was a no brainer and Thompson is hardly a household name. Half the tigers is skint, but they must spend 85% of the cap which is covered by tv money - they could have other targets in mind given there is still 4 months to go.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm fairly certain from what jt has said that they have some targets in mind but they're not available yet (or they don't want to tip anyone off, at least). It looks like Anasta is talking about third party deals signed under the old CEO and hopefully they get sorted out soon. Bad, but not as bad as it first seemed.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Its a miracle that the Tigers can even get people on the pitch to play at this point.

I'm imagining a board running around hoovering up pokie money to spend on a meat pie and a new golf course in the eastern suburbs.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Also still don't know how to feel about Bennett being back in charge, or Darius Boyd being back. I liked Boyd while he was here but I don't think he is the right fullback for us. Also, lacking a muscly forward pack. Not had any big hitters for at least a season, with Hannant or Parker being the best of a bad bunch.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BCR posted:

Also still don't know how to feel about Bennett being back in charge, or Darius Boyd being back. I liked Boyd while he was here but I don't think he is the right fullback for us. Also, lacking a muscly forward pack. Not had any big hitters for at least a season, with Hannant or Parker being the best of a bad bunch.
I hope you enjoy the constant complaining about Boyd and the constant metaphysical wanking over Bennet I've had to endure over the last 3 years.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I've only lived in Brisbane for two months and I'm pretty sure every single day the radio has had some story fellating Bennett, and all of my coworkers talk about him like schoolgirls with a crush. It's bizarre.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Well, most people have met Bennett or his extended family. So its part of the big country town thing.

Also, it might make the Broncos a death machine again, but we don't have the spine the Storm had in their salary cap cheating days.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bennett is really good and worth getting excited about in this posters opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Frank-Paul Nuuausala is off to Canberra. How was Ricky Stuart able to convince someone to play for him, and why did the Cunts let him go?

• Locked thread