Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Why do people keep casting Schaal in things?

Probably because Schaal has a decent track record. The worst thing I've seen her in was her bit on 30 Rock, playing Hazel whatshername. And that was more bad writing than anything else. Schaal seemed game, but her character really felt out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kaizoku posted:

Story's not about him, it's about Kirk.

Can't remember at what point that I worked this out, but yes. Kirk is the goddamned best and I like the fact I can mark out a bit when I see Sean Gunn in films (generally anything involving his brother).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I haven't encountered Kirk yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You have, he's in 137 of the 154 episodes. Not really a spoiler but he's the guy who has a different job every time you see him. His names always Kirk though (except in the pilot I think, where he's the guy that fixes the cable), it's just a joke that runs all 7 seasons. He's a pretty big role, not some background injoke or something.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Oh poo poo wait yeah I just realized who he is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

a film by kirk

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

Probably because Schaal has a decent track record. The worst thing I've seen her in was her bit on 30 Rock, playing Hazel whatshername. And that was more bad writing than anything else. Schaal seemed game, but her character really felt out of place.

I stopped watching 30 Rock because she was cast. Everything I had seen her in before was terrible and unfunny.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

thrakkorzog posted:

It's Hazel Wassername. :colbert:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

I stopped watching 30 Rock because she was cast. Everything I had seen her in before was terrible and unfunny.
She's great in Bob's Burgers, and they semi-redeem her (in the sense of actually having a decent scene with her in it) in the excellent final season of 30 Rock. It was a bad choice for 30 Rock though, the character was totally unnecessary.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's pretty much the highlight every week in Gravity Falls

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hating on Kristen Schaal is one of those things that just shouldn't be allowed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Kristen Schaal is a multimillionaire

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I like Schaal but it wouldn't hurt for somebody to cast her as something other than "wacky and boy-crazy/actually crazy" since she's been playing that since Flight of the Conchords. Probably the biggest shake-up was her role in Wilfred where she was a disgusting slob who made a living eating food on webcam.

bentacos posted:

If nobody says that they "spared no expense" I'm getting a refund.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bown posted:

Hating on Kristen Schaal is one of those things that just shouldn't be allowed.

Her one standup special was pretty bad, but I like her in pretty much everything else. She doesn't have much range though, every character she does just seems like "Kristen Schaal under an assumed name." I have the same issue with Jon Benjamin.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
I just remembered that there 12 Monkeys the TV show is going to premier in a few weeks. On Syfy.

I don't know how to feel about that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

I just remembered that there 12 Monkeys the TV show is going to premier in a few weeks. On Syfy.

I don't know how to feel about that.

I like the cast and the writers/producers have roots in some good shows like Nikita and The Sarah Connor Chronicles so I'm looking forward to it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
I have to be honest: that doesn't fill me with confidence.

If there isn't ample amounts of batshittery from the jump, count me disappointed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Flight of the Conchords and Wilfred were definitely peak Kristen Schaal but I can't say I've ever disliked her in anything :shrug:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Metropolis posted:

As far as AMC goes I just hope someone, somewhere feels bad about canceling Rubicon.

No one should feel bad about that.

Also Chris Pratt is clearly having illegal Raptor/Human races.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like Schaal but it wouldn't hurt for somebody to cast her as something other than "wacky and boy-crazy/actually crazy" since she's been playing that since Flight of the Conchords.

A face like hers was made to be laughed at.

Deadpool posted:

I like the cast and the writers/producers have roots in some good shows like Nikita and The Sarah Connor Chronicles so I'm looking forward to it.

Please don't lump T:TSCC with your CW poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Please don't lump T:TSCC with your CW poo poo.

Yeah I mean Nikita is no Talking Dead, you guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Also starring Birkhoff!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like Schaal but it wouldn't hurt for somebody to cast her as something other than "wacky and boy-crazy/actually crazy" since she's been playing that since Flight of the Conchords. Probably the biggest shake-up was her role in Wilfred where she was a disgusting slob who made a living eating food on webcam.

Definitely agree with you. I like her work, but I think if she expands her range of roles, it would be a good thing.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
It's funny to see Gilmore Girls come up. I just finished making my way through the series a couple weeks ago. There's a lot of infuriating moments within, and it bothers me that Rory is basically the most blessed child/young adult to walk the Earth (and on water), but I would love to see the continuing adventures of Kirk, Michele and Paris.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Manos del Sino posted:

It's funny to see Gilmore Girls come up. I just finished making my way through the series a couple weeks ago. There's a lot of infuriating moments within, and it bothers me that Rory is basically the most blessed child/young adult to walk the Earth (and on water), but I would love to see the continuing adventures of Kirk, Michele and Paris.

Absolutely. Paris is a much more compelling protagonist than Rory despite Rory being the show's actual "protagonist."

edit: that said, Emily and Richard are the best characters on the show and make Rory likeable by association

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Absolutely. Paris is a much more compelling protagonist than Rory despite Rory being the show's actual "protagonist."

edit: that said, Emily and Richard are the best characters on the show and make Rory likeable by association

I love you irish joe

Just starting S6 and Rory has reached new heights of insufferability at the end of the last season. I don't remember it being this bad when I first watched it while airing :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So yesterday I remembered that OTA TV is a thing and got an antenna. Since there doesn't appear to be a thread for it (unless I searched badly) I made a thread for it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well there's the Cable Cutting thread which is more about getting your cable shows via the Internet/Streaming and the hardware required but go nuts.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 3, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

xcore posted:

The former seems to have a thread here where the feedback is positive but does anyone have some words on Penny Dreadful and whether it's worth checking out?

Penny Dreadful was OK, but I was basically bored to tears anytime Eva Green or Timothy Dalton weren't on screen. By the end of the season, I felt like I had watched a prequel season to a much better show. A second season is coming, so I guess we'll see if that's true or not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Penny Dreadful was OK, but I was basically bored to tears anytime Eva Green or Timothy Dalton weren't on screen. By the end of the season, I felt like I had watched a prequel season to a much better show. A second season is coming, so I guess we'll see if that's true or not.

That sounds like an apt description of something with Josh Hartnett in it to me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Deadpool posted:

That sounds like an apt description of something with Josh Hartnett in it to me.

He wasnt even the worst part. In fact, I'm expecting/hoping that he will be one of the better parts of season 2.

But anytime Frankenstein or his monster were on screen :barf:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

On the other hand, Lucky Number Slevin and Bunraku are both fantastic.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

OldSenileGuy posted:

He wasnt even the worst part. In fact, I'm expecting/hoping that he will be one of the better parts of season 2.

Billie Piper is the only weak link, everything else is fantastic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, since it is currently being discussed in two different Netflix threads, this thread, and a GPS thread, someone totally needs to make a Black Mirror thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

So yesterday I remembered that OTA TV is a thing and got an antenna. Since there doesn't appear to be a thread for it (unless I searched badly) I made a thread for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

Not that I think anyone here would mind one of our own. There's some antenna calibration crap in there that might be useful to you.

My solution: Satellite HDDVR at mom's house + slingbox = free cable with intermittent skipping. (you both need a good connection and uncapped bandwidth)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Penny dreadful is one of those shows that knows exactly what it wants to be and just goes for it. I binged it over a weekend and loved it despite not being into goth stuff or anything else like it. It's silly as gently caress and there are some low points, but it's a fun show if you get into it and Eva Green has some absolutely loving fantastic scenes and steals the second half of the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I spent $25 on iTunes to get Penny Dreadful and I got my money's worth.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

less laughter posted:

Billie Piper is the only weak link, everything else is fantastic.

I don't know, I would rather watch an entire series about Billie Piper dying of consumption than another pointless Dorian Grey scene. Just show us his loving picture already, gawd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VDay posted:

Eva Green has some absolutely loving fantastic scenes and steals the second half of the season.

She seems to have the skill to do this in basically every thing she is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah I understand trepidation about him but Hartnett holds his own in Penny Dreadful.

• Locked thread