Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The Anova Precision, if you're willing to wait and believe Anova's story about the problems. Supposedly, all the issues I had with mine and others had with theirs are fixed in the second run (which you'd be getting). I'm mailing mine back in this week, and frankly, even having to work around the weird calibration issues it's a fantastic device at a price that can't be beat. The workaround I found for my temp-reading fluctuation issues were to unplug and replug -- once the temp was stable it stays so for days, but only about 1/3rd of the time will it give an even partially sensible reading.

The reason for the price drop with feature increase is partially Moore's law, partially lessons learned from the first generation of clip-on immersion heaters and partially a slight decrease in power (offset by better brains -- the Anova Precision cooker circulates 25% less water/time and has 20% less heating power, but gets 85% as much water to temp notably faster (per Kenji of Serious Eats) than the One).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Test Pattern posted:

The Anova Precision, if you're willing to wait and believe Anova's story about the problems. Supposedly, all the issues I had with mine and others had with theirs are fixed in the second run (which you'd be getting). I'm mailing mine back in this week, and frankly, even having to work around the weird calibration issues it's a fantastic device at a price that can't be beat. The workaround I found for my temp-reading fluctuation issues were to unplug and replug -- once the temp was stable it stays so for days, but only about 1/3rd of the time will it give an even partially sensible reading.

The reason for the price drop with feature increase is partially Moore's law, partially lessons learned from the first generation of clip-on immersion heaters and partially a slight decrease in power (offset by better brains -- the Anova Precision cooker circulates 25% less water/time and has 20% less heating power, but gets 85% as much water to temp notably faster (per Kenji of Serious Eats) than the One).

So you are sending it back to get swapped or for them to calibrate the unit? I only saw a note about calibrating the unit in the email project update that I received. I didnt think it was worth it to just get it calibrated.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thanks!

Looking through the Limited-Time Lightning Deals in Home, Kitchen & Garden on Amazon for tomorrow I see:

Upcoming Deal
Save 20% on Sous Vide Cooker
Starts at 1:00 PM

So if they are using the price its been sitting at for a while now, its going to be $159.20 Good its on sale :) Bad its not as large of a discount as the previous gold box deal :(

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Franco Caution posted:

Thanks!

Looking through the Limited-Time Lightning Deals in Home, Kitchen & Garden on Amazon for tomorrow I see:

Upcoming Deal
Save 20% on Sous Vide Cooker
Starts at 1:00 PM

So if they are using the price its been sitting at for a while now, its going to be $159.20 Good its on sale :) Bad its not as large of a discount as the previous gold box deal :(

Says 11AM for me so I assume you're on the east coast and this is a deal that will go live simultaeously across all time zones

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

dotster posted:

So you are sending it back to get swapped or for them to calibrate the unit? I only saw a note about calibrating the unit in the email project update that I received. I didnt think it was worth it to just get it calibrated.

Apparently my problem is more severe but related -- they'll either calibrate or replace.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Today only, direct from sansaire, $159.
Sale ends December 2nd, 2014, 6:00AM PST (UTC-8h)

https://sansaire.com

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I made Serious Eats sous-vide turkey. 2-1/2 hours @ 145F, it turned out better than any oven roast turkey I've had before.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah I did the turchetta as well. The 2-day cure for the turchetta on seriouseats really helped the turkey retain its moisture while cooking. An uncured turkey breast gave up a ton of bag juice while the turchetta gave up barely any at all. If nothing else I would probably dry-cure again, but I don't know if I would go to as much trouble as a full turchetta.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I parted out our 28lb bird and did the breasts and tenderloin separately (breasts were like 4" thick otherwise) at 148 5h, pulled them 5 minutes before everybody sat down and sliced them up. Easiest thanksgiving prep ever. Legs and thighs went in the oven and did their thing, that part is easy.

I did the porchetta/turkey roulade thing in the skin and then deepfried as a test run. Was cool, would not do again.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any tips on sous vide garlic confit? I have a ton of extra garlic from the holiday (don't ask) and I kind of want to do a bunch of small bags confit to save/freeze for use later. However, I know the whole garlic + anaerobic environment thing can be bad.

Is it really as easy as garlic and oil cooked for 7 hours at 190F, or do I need to add some acid or do something else?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I just finished the pork belly porchetta recipe from Serious Eats last night. Probably the best thing I've made with my Anova so far. We made sandwiches on ciabatta with dijon mustard, salsa verde and aged provolone. This prep would also work perfectly sliced on a plate with pan sauce and a side. The pan sauce made from the bag juice was amazing, I moved the bag directly from the sous vide bath to an ice bath which caused all of the juice to immediately congealed into a clear gelatin that was like an extra concentrated stock. That also allowed me to avoid the fat, making the sauce way easier to make without it breaking on me. A+ would make again.

I may toy with the idea of getting a tenderloin and wrapping the belly around it with meat glue next time. Does anyone have any tips or experiences with that?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

toplitzin posted:

Today only, direct from sansaire, $159.
Sale ends December 2nd, 2014, 6:00AM PST (UTC-8h)

https://sansaire.com

Nice deal, just jumped on it. Hoping I get it in time for Christmas dinner.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any tips on sous vide garlic confit? I have a ton of extra garlic from the holiday (don't ask) and I kind of want to do a bunch of small bags confit to save/freeze for use later. However, I know the whole garlic + anaerobic environment thing can be bad.

Is it really as easy as garlic and oil cooked for 7 hours at 190F, or do I need to add some acid or do something else?

Do you have a pressure cooker and mason jars? it's even easier to do it that way.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Do you have a pressure cooker and mason jars? it's even easier to do it that way.

No and no. I think I might just make a little to use this week and then ditch the rest. No sense tempting fate when someone in my family may be immune compromised.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anova Precision Cookers are $180-$30=$150 today if you use the code CYBER30
http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker
(ships Jan 2015)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mikey Purp posted:

I may toy with the idea of getting a tenderloin and wrapping the belly around it with meat glue next time. Does anyone have any tips or experiences with that?

You could just get your butcher to cut you a belly with the loin already attached instead of doing that

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Well, just bit the bullet on the Anova on the lightning deals. I've got a whole rabbit sitting in my freezer right now, I think I may use that as my first foray into the vizzle. Very excited about it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If anyone else has a problem with floaty vegetables, here's how I solve it:

A nice round rock, bagged. Then bag the bagged rock with the veggies. Sunk like a drunk Archimedes in a Hollywood pool. The rock might impart some depth and minerality to the carrots if bagged together, I haven't tried that yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
uhhh or just put a fork on top of the bag

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

uhhh or just put a fork on top of the bag

I don't know what kind of heavy rear end forks you're using, but I tried to keep my carrots submerged with two pairs of kitchen shears and a big bartender's bottle opener and it wasn't enough to keep the carrots from rotating enough to make everything fall off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I use a bowl or steamer basket, it seems to hold things down.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know what kind of heavy rear end forks you're using, but I tried to keep my carrots submerged with two pairs of kitchen shears and a big bartender's bottle opener and it wasn't enough to keep the carrots from rotating enough to make everything fall off.

Hahahha, I don't know why but this imagery is hilarious to me. I normally use a smallish metal rack on top. Or a plate.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Hahahha, I don't know why but this imagery is hilarious to me. I normally use a smallish metal rack on top. Or a plate.

I used to use those but my wife threw them all out because they were rusting. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Exactly. I did try some simple things first. A dinner plate won't keep it down, the carrots just works themselves to the side. A single fork would just some parched, utterly dry castaway on a raft of carrots. Since I use a rice cooker without any circulation, I give it a stir now and then as well, so it's nice to work with negative buoyancy. If you have a rack thing that works, nice. I don't, because I want to fit the lid as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I used to use those but my wife threw them all out because they were rusting. :(

Steamer basket! They're rust proof, appropriately heavy and perforated so that you don't get an air bubble.

edit: come to think of it, a small metal colander should also work

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 3, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quick question for all of those who backed the Anova Precision Cooker Kickstarter:

I finally received my shipping notification!

On Monday.

Tracking it, it still says that the label has been created, but there are no further shipment updates. Did this happen with anyone else? When situations like this happen with products my company sells, it usually means that the label was printed but the box was either lost in the warehouse or otherwise never picked up and scanned by FedEx. I've e-mailed Anova support but I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced a delay in their tracking updates when theirs shipped.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

Tracking it, it still says that the label has been created, but there are no further shipment updates. Did this happen with anyone else?

I'm in the same position you are. Sit tight. We waited this long so far.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm in the same position you are. Sit tight. We waited this long so far.

Its okay, I ordered a two pack. One White and one Red.
I won't get them in time for Christmas. One was a christmas gift. The other a birthday gift, for someone born in October.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Short ribs at 72 hours, do I really need to vacuum seal them or can I just ziplock it like other kinds of meat? Thinking about Christmas...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Short ribs at 72 hours, do I really need to vacuum seal them or can I just ziplock it like other kinds of meat? Thinking about Christmas...

For that long I think you need to not only vacuum but double bag.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And reconsider 72 hours. Put them in multiple bags, and pull a bag at 48 hours to see what you think. I do mine at a very low temp, and 72 hours turns them into mush.

I vacuum but don't double bag. Never had any issues.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Ultimate Mango posted:

Its okay, I ordered a two pack. One White and one Red.
I won't get them in time for Christmas. One was a christmas gift. The other a birthday gift, for someone born in October.

Did you see the latest update? https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._project_update

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I still have an e-mail promising my unit would be shipped in early november with no update since :colbert:

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Jeoh posted:

I've done short ribs for 72 hours in ziplocks without double bagging and it turned out fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just use a couple feet of stainless chain from the hardware store to hold down my puddle wares. Snake it on top of all your bags once they're in. It's probably spent 18 months submerged and still looks metal as gently caress. If it is just one bag I usually use a granite counter top sample placed on top.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Souffle posted:

I've done short ribs for 72 hours in ziplocks without double bagging and it turned out fine.

Me too. Use real ziplocks and not store brand bags, and you'll be fine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Safety Dance posted:

Me too. Use real ziplocks and not store brand bags, and you'll be fine.
I've found that they're fine for short cook times, but over the course of a multi day cook, the motion of the water circulation can be enough to work open even the nice ziploc freezer bags.

I picked up one of the fancy foodsavers at Costco and have been enjoying it. I puddled a few pounds of duck breast for Thanksgiving, and I appreciated the peace of mind that the bags were sealed tight.

Also, duck fried rice is maybe the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you're worried about your bags opening up, use a binder clip to clip the bag to the side of the cooking vessel. Problem solved.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any reason why a whole brisket would be unsafe to sous vide? I know that very thick cuts will not hear to core safely, but I figure a brisket is thin enough to not be a problem.

I am actually doing this for tamales. I am thinking of doing the chile sauce first and putting a little in the bag with the meat. Last year I smoked the brisket for tamales and they were great and I think sous vide will be even better.

So you did your tamales, and they turned out great. Got a recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

I finally received my shipping notification!

On Monday.

Tracking it, it still says that the label has been created, but there are no further shipment updates.

You might want to check the tracking number again. The status on mine changed today.