Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

pram posted:

then it wouldnt meet the posix spec you dumb bastard

hence "i wish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

hence "i wish"

just add symlinks in /System and suppress the entries from getdirent on /

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
nfs is still trash

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

write a better one

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

uhhhh lol are you serious

lol I know right
this fuckin guy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

my plan is to require systemd, Wayland, and root on btrfs.

:unsmigghh:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

If you're actually talking about X11 then holy :lol: that stack is profoundly hosed (for reasons why it took so long to fix it by way of Wayland see: resistance from beardlords, again, who don't know much about post-1985 GUI development but certainly have Opinions about it, pissing and moaning hysterically if you threaten their ability to remotely display Emacs)

so here's the thing: remotely displaying emacs for a beardlord is a real world, right-now, works-just-loving-fine-thank-you use case for real users who actually exist. developing a great leap forward in architecture that leaves behind actual users is gonna result in a lot of pissing and moaning.

hate on X11 all you want. it doesn't matter how ugly the guts are: if you break remote emacs, a real use case for real people, you're gonna piss off users.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
And I have replied that we will not break remote emacs for people many, many times.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The only use I ever found for x forwarding was avoiding purchasing a license for maple. It seemed like it was a fraction of a second faster on an RS/6000 than my laptop anyways.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

And I have replied that we will not break remote emacs for people many, many times.

you are not mr dog, who espoused the view that it doesn't matter, because he doesn't care what a bunch of beardlords think.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyvin posted:

The only use I ever found for x forwarding was avoiding purchasing a license for maple. It seemed like it was a fraction of a second faster on an RS/6000 than my laptop anyways.

maple, matlab, and mathematica have all dropped legacy unix support

linux on the desktop supremacy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah, hasn't wayland had a proper rdp protocol that supports rootless windows for over a year now?

the beardlords will still complain because it's "too windows like" and thus "not the unix way", it's slower over their 14.4 modem or because it's too easy and thus something that normal people who aren't afraid of the sun can use, but they aren't actually losing any functionality.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 3, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm gonna lol so hard if anyone claims that x11 was ever "the unix way" of anything

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

i'm gonna lol so hard if anyone claims that x11 was ever "the unix way" of anything

some beardlord posted:

I've used it on LANs. I've used it across my crummy IDSL link. And I've even used it on dial-up. Only when using very graphics intensive applications on dial-up did I find the performance awful (and, fortunately, I only needed to resort to dial-up during those rare times that the VPN access was down). Caveat: I'm not trying to play games via X11 connections which may be why it works well for me and so badly for the folks who are in favor of Wayland.

I find it amusing that some people are touting how wonderful the implementation of RDP is on Windows 2008 server. I need to access remote UNIX systems, not Windows servers. Those of us that use UNIX (almost exclusively or as exclusively as I can pull off) don't want something that is useful only for Win2008 Server systems. How will an RDP plug-in for Wayland accommodate UNIX/Linux desktops connecting to UNIX/Linux servers? Oh... I guess the people running UNIX servers will have to install a non-native layer to allow the Wayland folks access. That's just nuts.

(Personal opinion time: It seems there is a group of Linux developers who grew up developing for Windows and won't be happy until they've turned Linux into the Windows they would have liked to have seen. Too bad they never used UNIX/Linux as they were developing their programming skills.)

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 3, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

it totally was, i.e. a big mess that only worked some of the time, that doesn't run on lots of hardware, and which you had to edit all sorts of text files to get even partially working

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

as recently as 2005 or so i had to use machines w such crappy displays that they couldnt handle all the colors for an application, so if the focus was on, say, a web browser the colors of the other windows & the wm were all hosed up

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

Linux: the laughs never stop.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

fritz posted:

it totally was, i.e. a big mess that only worked some of the time, that doesn't run on lots of hardware, and which you had to edit all sorts of text files to get even partially working

To this day I have no idea how the xterms in our lab worked. They were configured by a consultant and as student sysadmin I was told to pretty much never touch the directory they netbooted from. The configs looked like a mass of unintelligible garbage it would take 10 years of reading a manual to understand. Was pretty cool though, they had local floppy disk drives, sound, etc. They were pretty much a really expensive PC that was worthless without a $900,000 computer.

Edit: even with a "user friendly" gui no one used the rs/6000 unless they were doing research or had a unix programming assignment. $900,000 that sat idle 95% of the time.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2014

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

keyvin posted:

They were pretty much a really expensive PC running an X server that was worthless without a $900,000 computer.

is literally how x terminals worked

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not sure anybody even uses network filesystems any more these days, at least not on anything Unix,

:staredog:
Da gently caress ?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

Linux: the laughs never stop.

ubnyu but with laffs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
no but i mean as a serious question what do people use network filesystems for on linux these days

please don't tell me they still use NFS :ohdear:

please don't bring up anything inside a university because the people who run IT at universities are deathly allergic to things like good ideas and the passage of time

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr Dog posted:

no but i mean as a serious question what do people use network filesystems for on linux these days

please don't bring up anything inside a university because the people who run IT at universities are deathly allergic to things like good ideas and the passage of time

accessing poo poo from my media server

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Mr Dog posted:

:captainpop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr Dog posted:

we use NFS for home directories and utility binaries, because who's copying all that poo poo to six digits of servers. also glusterFS for I think petabytes of stuff.

oh yeah, we use Lustre for some stuff too, but I don't think any of my code is still in it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

as recently as 2005 or so i had to use machines w such crappy displays that they couldnt handle all the colors for an application, so if the focus was on, say, a web browser the colors of the other windows & the wm were all hosed up

this happened because stingy loving vendors didn't contribute anything upstream

in the lovely reference implementation of X11's 8 bit color, you had a global color map, but any given application would change the color map when it felt like it. so everything was a flickering mess all the time

non-lovely vendors provided 8 bit "truecolor" visuals. apps were told to just request any color they wanted, and then the system would handle color mapping and dithering to get the best compromise output. this actually looked pretty good, but the vendors who did it hoarded the code like improved 8 bit color was gonna make or break their desktop offerings

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but of course stingy loving vendors didn't contribute anything upstream

good username/software-license combo

also if their mid-90s Motif implementations were any indication, they couldn't have upstreamed anyway because they hacked it all to gently caress and back. "hey, do we have to free the return value from this?" "are you on HPUX?"

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 4, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the lovely reference implementation of X11's 8 bit color, you had a global color map, but any given application would change the color map when it felt like it. so everything was a flickering mess all the time

"Mechanism, not policy"

The only people who were supposed to make the InstallColormap request were WMs, but it's not X11's job to enforce that.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

keyvin posted:

To this day I have no idea how the xterms in our lab worked. They were configured by a consultant and as student sysadmin I was told to pretty much never touch the directory they netbooted from. The configs looked like a mass of unintelligible garbage it would take 10 years of reading a manual to understand. Was pretty cool though, they had local floppy disk drives, sound, etc. They were pretty much a really expensive PC that was worthless without a $900,000 computer.

Edit: even with a "user friendly" gui no one used the rs/6000 unless they were doing research or had a unix programming assignment. $900,000 that sat idle 95% of the time.

we had those in grad school, they were 'not great" and you sometimes had to bang on them to get them to work

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Subjunctive posted:

we use NFS for home directories and utility binaries, because who's copying all that poo poo to six digits of servers.

this. $PREVIOUS_EMPLOYER used nfs for home dirs + eda tool binaries + a system of automounts which let every workstation and server on the lan export a world writable scratch dir at a predictable mount point based on that machine's network name. very useful for running jobs on a headless compute server and then easily examining output on your workstation.

being able to log in to any computer in the building and instantly have all of your work environment available is tremendously useful in some contexts

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
we use an NFS share to store the database for two AMQ nodes to negotiate master/server roles
its lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

lmao nfs is used, basically anywhere with filer infrastructure. even seen it in ec2 (gluster)

most people are moving to iscsi now but its still in a ton of places. its even used for oracle

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Direct_NFS

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unless you count iscsi and fc as a network filesystem then the answer is literally everyone important uses it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

good username/software-license combo

ironically i hate bsd

i got this in a namechange thread and i am too cheap to change it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

There Will Be Penalty posted:

is literally how x terminals worked

By not work, I don't know how the disk drives worked with the rs/6000. I also didn't understand the configs.

I wonder what happened to that thing. My student lab discovered the previous super computer cluster in surplus and abused university policy to bring it to our lab, minus the power conditioner because it was too heavy to move. It was HP/UX, and there was a central server plus about half a dozen nodes/workstations. Sometimes I miss the days of shared systems, and then I remind myself I have a super computer on my desk. I use it to browse the web and kill virtual dragons. Neither of which work well on desktop Linux.

fritz posted:

we had those in grad school, they were 'not great" and you sometimes had to bang on them to get them to work

Ours were in mint condition from never being used. The only time someone sat at one was when they mistook it for a PC.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pleasure keyvin

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ow was hpux running on a rs/6000 moron

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

fritz posted:

it also did pretty well with the whole "provide some foundation bits and let everyone & their bros bodge together a different, equally bad end-to-end solution" aspect

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gazpacho posted:

it also did pretty well with the whole "provide some foundation bits and let everyone & their bros bodge together a different, equally bad end-to-end solution" aspect

I have a web like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hate on X11 all you want. it doesn't matter how ugly the guts are: if you break remote emacs, a real use case for real people, you're gonna piss off users.

if you ain't using TRAMP i feel bad for you son

i got 99 problems but x11 forwarding ain't one