Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Homemade, sketchy steering setup, Dad is driving.

It's a certain death trifecta; I still want a ride in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I watched the video and I'm proud to say it sounded exactly the way the gif made it sound in my head. What a monster.

It's the second best use of soft piano music on an internet video.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

City17 posted:

Homemade, sketchy steering setup, Dad is driving.

It's a certain death trifecta; I still want a ride in it.

Sketchy steering? It's got no front brakes. Rear brakes are debatable. Zoomie pipes, eye protection but no ear protection. :getin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BoostCreep posted:

I watched the video and I'm proud to say it sounded exactly the way the gif made it sound in my head. What a monster.

I like how hard it jerks the frame when the first cylinder lights off. that my friends is torque.

the dude that cranked that thing has balls made of brass. No way would I crank that fucker. a Model T would break your arms if it backfired, much less this monster. looks like it has a overrunning clutch anyways

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's amazing that humans actually built that thing, over a hundred drat years ago. It's even more amazing that the new Yamaha R1 being released this year has 300 horse power. In a motorcycle.

?? Just under 200 I believe.

You're thinking of the Kawi H2R. Theoretical top speed of 250+ with 300hp..from the factory.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm thinking about what to post next. I have a few collections of photos from overhauls of various equipment as well as day to day operations.
I can also post drydock photos, but as I've mentioned a lot of things are going to need some explaining so it'll be a little more effort for me to prepare a post.
May I ask if people would be more interested in, say, an overhaul of a lubricating oil purifier, various equipment in bits from drydock (which will need a lot more writing from me), or perhaps even just a post about various equipment on ship, with function and purpose explained?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrYenko posted:

Cadzilla was finished in 1989. Efigy didn't show up until 2005.
I've learnt to distrust my fellow countrymen, nearly everything worthwhile purported to be Australian and unique, is always borrowed or stolen.
Funny that. Then again, there's a thing about that trait all on it's own.
It's a heritage :australia:
I'm going to drive my ford to some Chinese or Indian takeaway if I can roll some cunts, otherwise I'll have to buy something from woolworths or kmart and cook for myself.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 2, 2014

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ladies and gentlemens, the Thomassima.

Reading that link, I think he may be one of the most AI people ever.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Darchangel posted:

Did he just forget or not notice the turn there or what? The "controller disconnected" message fits for sure.

Also, the guy wit the phone at the end: oh, hey, someone just flipped their 911 into the drink. They might be drowning. Hmm, should I post that on Facebook, or try to help?

FYI: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/22/porsche-911-rsr-in-bizarre-terrifying-rally-crash/

quote:

While it's unclear what caused the accident, German Car Scene notes, "We can see his brakes locking up ahead of the impact, which also ripped both driver's side wheels off, so it may be a case of ill-judged late braking, locking brakes or a jammed throttle." Us? We're betting it might have been bad pace notes. Fortunately for Harry and his co-driver, all indications are that no one was hurt. Check out the videos below to see the spectacular crash for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hStcyDj830Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuhlAP8sMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-g31IEBD8

City17
Dec 3, 2006

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Chris Harris on the Hooicorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBICDja6Sg

"When Pirelli put your name on the tire, you've arrived."

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Two Finger posted:

I'm thinking about what to post next. I have a few collections of photos from overhauls of various equipment as well as day to day operations.
I can also post drydock photos, but as I've mentioned a lot of things are going to need some explaining so it'll be a little more effort for me to prepare a post.
May I ask if people would be more interested in, say, an overhaul of a lubricating oil purifier, various equipment in bits from drydock (which will need a lot more writing from me), or perhaps even just a post about various equipment on ship, with function and purpose explained?

Yes, that would be *awesome*. Every bit you mentioned, parceled out in oily deliciousness please :)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
In the spirit of enormous machinery, I thought you guys might like to see this. Click for big.

That thing on the left there is a Komatsu 930E haul truck, fully loaded weight of 1,270,000 pounds. She's a big fucker. The loader on the left is a LeTourneau L-2350, which holds the Guinness World Record for Largest Earth Mover, and can move 160,000 pounds of rock in one scoop. Four scoops will fill up the Komatsu.

Look at the dude in the haul truck cockpit. Look how tiny he is. These things are loving massive. I'm a little over six feet tall, and I don't even come up to the middle of the wheel on the LeTourneau.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Man, I should try to get some kind of factory tour at LeTourneau. I'm in town, I work for the local newspaper, I could probably arrange it.

I only just noticed the tiny sadfaced bulldozer on the hill.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

That loader has TWEELS!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just tire chains. In places with sharp rocks it prolongs the life of those really expensive tires.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
gently caress, how long do those take to put on?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've wondered this for a while and I guess you're the guy to ask: what is the benefit of having gigantic fuckoff wheels like that as opposed to caterpillar tracks? I can understand the haulers having wheels because they potentially have to drive on hard surfaces, and their entire job consists of driving from place to place, so wheels definitely make sense there. But why would you want wheels on an earth mover?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Earth movers have to get to where the earth is too? If that thing was on tracks you would need a huge trailer and tractor to move it from site to site?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Speed, I would guess. Even having to move a small distance back and forth they speed up faster than you could walk a dozer in a straight line. Also, longer runtime /cheaper for a drive train to use wheels of that size vs an entire undercarriage and track sections?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

I've wondered this for a while and I guess you're the guy to ask: what is the benefit of having gigantic fuckoff wheels like that as opposed to caterpillar tracks? I can understand the haulers having wheels because they potentially have to drive on hard surfaces, and their entire job consists of driving from place to place, so wheels definitely make sense there. But why would you want wheels on an earth mover?

Literally every decision about the specs on one of those things is to do with cost. It costs more to fix them, and because you're not working them on surfaces where mud beyond a few centimeters depth is an issue, you're not getting any appreciable benefit from tracks. Remember that tracks are for going places where wheels will get bogged to poo poo, and that the places where those loaders are working used to be the inside of a mountain - solid bedrock with no dirt to make mud.

Speed isn't as much of an issue, and they're exactly as maneuverable as a tracked vehicle, as each wheel is independently driven. The 45L diesel is there to provide power to electric motors. Again, that's a cost issue, electric is easier on tyres and means no expensive drivetrains to break. Electric means you get to have a constant, efficient speed for the diesel to work at, which means you can cut down on battery capacity needed, as you know how much is being provided at all times from the diesel.

EightBit posted:

gently caress, how long do those take to put on?

It's not too bad, couple of hours maybe? The workshop they maintain these things in is an aircraft hanger full of toys I could play with until the day I die and never get bored. The chains themselves come rolled up and you use the gantry crane to get them off the delivery truck, then roll them out on a big painted-on pattern on the floor. Then you drive the loader on, and use the crane to lift them and fix them into place. The hardest part is the bit where you fasten them at the top, because you're working at height and there's nothing like a minesite for the most spectacular OSHA anal retentiveness ever. I don't spin spanners for a living any more, I'm an exploration geologist, but I spent a morning I had off once watching the poo poo they get up to at Heavy Vehicle Maintenance at the mine that photo was from and it was awesome.

Throatwarbler posted:

Earth movers have to get to where the earth is too? If that thing was on tracks you would need a huge trailer and tractor to move it from site to site?

They come in parts on the back of several flatbed trucks, with an accompanying Landcruiser full of factory techs to build them. They usually spend their entire lives on the same site, and if you need to move them off for whatever reason, you take them apart and ship them. You might get away with driving a little wiggle wagon or something on the roads for a limited amount of time, but not something like that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh, you guys like heavy machinery? I can answer pretty much any question relating to excavators/dozers/backhoes/loaders/trucks. I'm the chief estimator for a large pipeline company.

Here's the view out of my office (Almost all of my heavy iron is out right now, but my two big excavators are in the yard):

Komatsu 1000 and 1250 Excavators sitting there on the right. I'm bidding a 2mil CY earthwork job right now that they will be perfect on. 7CY/buckets for each will let me load a belly dump in one shot.

Be an engineer:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slavvy posted:

Rubber-tire equipment can traverse at much faster speeds and over finished surfaces without destroying them. Tracking a track hoe (slowly) over a finished surface will disturb and or destroy it. Mainly, though, it's about speed. On a large earthmoving project, every MPH you can add to the haul speed is worth a lot of money.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

angryhampster posted:

You're thinking of the Kawi H2R. Theoretical top speed of 250+ with 300hp..from the factory.
The H2R isn't street legal though, it's a pure track bike. Its street legal little brother the H2 still puts out around 200hp.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DB10

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 4, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It looks cool, of course, but it also seems to have even less side visibility than the drat Camaro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

It looks cool, of course, but it also seems to have even less side visibility than the drat Camaro.

They assume nobody will be able to catch you. Who the gently caress needs side visibility?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Collateral Damage posted:

The H2R isn't street legal though, it's a pure track bike. Its street legal little brother the H2 still puts out around 200hp.

Putting on a tail light, bar end mirror, and rigging up a headlight is easy... we do it to trackbikes that see the street occasionally all the time.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just saw a stock looking miata with the V8 badge Ford puts on things. It was at a light next to a bro truck.

The truck wasn't making the noise.

Found him in a parking lot. LS swapped.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Perhaps someone will catch why this is special.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The DB10 front end screams Ferrari California at me (sans scoop.) Just doesn't look great from that angle I guess.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah the slow parts were removed.

I see a roundel on the cover too~

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that an S38?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Is that an S38?

yes it is

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
That looks uncannily like an itb bmw s motor

e:fb like a single throttle trying to feed 6 cylinders

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Alighieri posted:

The DB10 front end screams Ferrari California at me (sans scoop.) Just doesn't look great from that angle I guess.

I almost posted that it looks like Ferrari front-engined car design language.

So yeah, I agree.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

That thing on the left there is a Komatsu 930E haul truck, fully loaded weight of 1,270,000 pounds. She's a big fucker. The loader on the left is a LeTourneau L-2350, which holds the Guinness World Record for Largest Earth Mover, and can move 160,000 pounds of rock in one scoop. Four scoops will fill up the Komatsu.

Look at the dude in the haul truck cockpit. Look how tiny he is. These things are loving massive. I'm a little over six feet tall, and I don't even come up to the middle of the wheel on the LeTourneau.

I'm rather curious if that loader was actually made at the LeTourneau plant in Longview or if its just using their name on it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

BlackMK4 posted:

You know this is going to be good poo poo, because the company making this has a provincial number plate (aka three letters in front of the dash).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Laranzu posted:

Just saw a stock looking miata with the V8 badge Ford puts on things. It was at a light next to a bro truck.

The truck wasn't making the noise.

Found him in a parking lot. LS swapped.

When you do an LS swap on a Miata what else typically gets swapped? Do you use a Corvette's transmission or is there some third party tranny that's smaller but able to handle the power? Anything else need to be beefed up on a Miata to handle that amount of torque or are these basically really fun death traps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

davebo posted:

When you do an LS swap on a Miata what else typically gets swapped? Do you use a Corvette's transmission or is there some third party tranny that's smaller but able to handle the power? Anything else need to be beefed up on a Miata to handle that amount of torque or are these basically really fun death traps?
New axles and diff, using CTS parts is common. Aftermarket or custom front subframe is required.

The engines/trans is basically the same size front to rear: