Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Grinch: The Movie: The Game was released for the PS1, Dreamcast and PC in tandem with the commercially successful Grinch movie in December 2000, as well as being remade for the DS in 2007. Whilst the movie did very well, mainly due to Jim Carrey's performance, the game... not so much. Mainly because it has very little to do with the movie itself and it's one of those action platformers that were all the rage back in the day. And also because it wasn't that good.

That does not mean this is a bad game. It's not great, but, well, being a tie-in video game to a movie is never a good start, but there was definitely some care put into it. Well, sometimes, it's very obvious this game did not have a budget. Like, at all. But we all know who the Grinch is! It probably sold some copies on that alone, never mind the actual mechanics or how it plays.

This won't be a 100% LP, because that is a terrible thing, but I will do all the missions and basically show off as much as possible in time for the finale on Christmas Day. However, for your enjoyment, I have suffered to get my own 100% file, which will be a bonus video on Boxing Day. Joining me, as always, is the grumpy scrooge, DirtyDeedsDone. So what better way to spend the holidays, then to ruin it for everyone else?

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Grinch is my spirit animal.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While the ultimate goal is to ruin the holidays, some of the missions are just to show that the Grinch is a general rear end in a top hat.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's really freaking me out that the narrator/tutorial-reader is Space Ghost.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
Thank you for reminding me how ominous the Grinch Cave music is, and how somewhat solid the music just was in general.

Akratic Method posted:

Who doesn't love George Lowe? Also, Fun fact. He went uncredited for the game...

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hyperman1992 posted:

Thank you for reminding me how ominous the Grinch Cave music is, and how somewhat solid the music just was in general.

Who doesn't love George Lowe? Also, Fun fact. He went uncredited for the game...

That bodes well...

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I actually remember this game pretty well, still have a copy of it somewhere

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Because of how the finale of this game will be up on Christmas and how this isn't a very long game, there will be three videos a week, every Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Hope this lp will get you all in a grrrrrrrrinching mood.

VolticSurge posted:

That bodes well...

I'm not really sure why, perhaps he didn't have much confidence in the game, or just offered his help to a fledgling product. He does make the game infinitely more enjoyable and I'm glad he's in it.

Hyperman1992 posted:

The music is my favorite part of the game, the fact that it's all a remix of the same theme tune makes it all the better.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

The music is my favorite part of the game, the fact that it's all a remix of the same theme tune makes it all the better.

Is it actually? Huh. I guess it shows the creativity that can go into making the same track unique multiple times...

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think my brother and I got this game out of a $1.99 bargain bin. I remembered the sneaking suit before you changed into it.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
I remember this game! I ended up exchanging for the PC version after a copy of SimCoaster I bought didn't work on my computer.

It was another two years before I figured out how to make the game run faster than one frame per second.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It occurs to me that the concept for this game is basically what goons have been saying a Wario/Waluigi game should be for years.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Chimera-gui posted:

While the ultimate goal is to ruin the holidays, some of the missions are just to show that the Grinch is a general rear end in a top hat.

We'll find later that missions are basically just satisfying whatever whim Grinch has at a given moment.

Hedonism is king up on crumpet mountain.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I changed my mind, a video will be up every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, except for Christmas Day, obviously.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Oh.

It's this game.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Akratic Method posted:

That made me geek out too. I love his velvety voice, friend of mine met him at a con a year or so ago. Nobody was bothering him so she talked to him a bit and from what she said he was a fairly nice dude.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Say what you will about the live action movie, it was at least enjoyable in that the actors were having fun with it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You know, naughty secret here, I didn't know what you guys were talking about with this Space Ghost. But then Deeds sent me some links.

:allears:

:allears::allears::allears:

And I thought this game was great before.

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

EDIT: CutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCutCut ohgodi'mdying

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUZYefV8Ds

Space Ghost narrating this game breathes new life into it. Not sure how I never noticed this when my little brother played through the game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Crosspeice posted:

I changed my mind, a video will be up every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, except for Christmas Day, obviously.

Question: why do you refuse to ruin Christmas with a Grinch LP video?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As in it'll be different that week, since Christmas is on a Thursday, so for that week, there will be a video up on Monday, Thursday and Friday. And then the LP is done.

It actually works perfectly, I'm quite surprised.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Thread you have trapped me back in an endless labyrinth of space ghost videos.

I can't say I'm unhappy.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Oh hey this game. Years back I think I beat it a few times. I don't think I had even seen the movie at that point.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that stupid pole swinging. It is the sole reason for me not getting everything.

As for the Christmas mail thing, I think the movie had the Grinch do that? It was a kind of throwaway scene that wasn't important to anything afterwards, though.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Kgummy posted:

As for the Christmas mail thing, I think the movie had the Grinch do that? It was a kind of throwaway scene that wasn't important to anything afterwards, though.

Yeah, it was 20-25 seconds tops. And it wasn't so much mixing the mail as it was adding to it. Actually Here is the clip.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Side note for the movie talk, Taylor Momsen who played Cindy Lou Who in the movie is a Rockstar now

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

On to grinch a winter wonderland.

Kgummy posted:

Oh hey this game. Years back I think I beat it a few times. I don't think I had even seen the movie at that point.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that stupid pole swinging. It is the sole reason for me not getting everything.

I may have played this game before seeing the movie, but it's definitely something I would've watched as a kid.

And I've figured out the stupid pole swinging, I'll talk about it in a later video.

JackNapier posted:

Side note for the movie talk, Taylor Momsen who played Cindy Lou Who in the movie is a Rockstar now

:rock:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Major_JF posted:

Yeah, it was 20-25 seconds tops. And it wasn't so much mixing the mail as it was adding to it. Actually Here is the clip.
"This is his and now it's yours. This is hers and now it's his."
That's from the very clip you linked. Though he also adds to it.

Crosspeice posted:

And I've figured out the stupid pole swinging, I'll talk about it in a later video.
I think I know exactly which level you would have figured it out in.

I also seem to recall shooting the beehives down on the beehive guarding moose things, and having that work. But that could be just me misremembering in all the years since I've played the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kgummy posted:

I think I know exactly which level you would have figured it out in.

Nope! Only figured it out after completing the game three separate times. :negative:

quote:

I also seem to recall shooting the beehives down on the beehive guarding moose things, and having that work. But that could be just me misremembering in all the years since I've played the game.

That works to not only spawn them, but to distract them for a bit, though you can also dodge in-between their slashes at you like I tend to. If I didn't show that off this video, then I do it in a future one.

Major_JF posted:

:allears: Everything the grinch does is gold. If only he shouted "jurydutyjurydutyjuryduty" in the game, it would've been perfect.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

Nope! Only figured it out after completing the game three separate times. :negative:
I meant more the level which gave the epiphany. I mean I figured out how it worked, I think because of it. But I never actually succeeded on doing that one part. Said part is in the level after the dump level. Even playing the game several times, I couldn't do that one. I even remember practicing on the Whoville poles, to get the timing down. But that was more 'Well, I'm here, might as well practice' kind of thing.

Crosspeice posted:

That works to not only spawn them, but to distract them for a bit, though you can also dodge in-between their slashes at you like I tend to. If I didn't show that off this video, then I do it in a future one.
I think you showed off spawning them, but not the distraction?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There was so many thumbnails I could've chosen, honestly, in every video. :allears:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just before we head to the last level, we go to a few side areas. It's true that the game could be over very soon, but we're gonna drag it out in time for the celebrations.

Also, one of the videos led me to the OST, which I didn't think would be on yt, so I'll be adding links to the OP over the weekend, I guess.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm still amazed at the amount of love put in this game.

Some of the devs were fans of the book or movie I guess.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's weird, isn't it?

I'm also glad to say that it gets better.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's Friday to someone...

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I remember this game, I was never able to beat it as a kid, because I was (and still am) bad at videogames, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

E: I do remember that I got stuck like halfway through the dump level, so this will definitely be interesting for me.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 14, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And now, after so many missions that basically amounted to just being an rear end in a top hat to the Whos, the Grinch finally does what he set out to do from the beginning: Destroy Christmas.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 14, 2014

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if this was originally going to be the Grinch messing things up over a longer period, with Who Forest being an earlier level, but they realized that it was actually harder, so it couldn't go before WhoVille. I mean it does have the 'forced stealth' section that would be a kind of tutorial. Or they just wanted to minimize backtracking, to a point.

It could be they just ran out of time to create more levels.

If I recall, to do low swings you jump as soon as Grinch is vertical, and high jumps are when he's horizontal. The timing is pretty awful to do, even figuring that out. The Sonic Scarecrow pole swinging. That's what I figured is when you'd figure out the swinging mechanics. I never succeeded on getting past that section, though I swear when I played it was longer. And gave 60 seconds to beat it And had poles of differing heights. Maybe I had some dreams/nightmares about that section.

And since that blueprint piece for the marine mobile is there, I never did get that gadget.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
Just as a note, the plural actually remains moose

I actually never got that far into the game, so I actually didn't expect the sleigh to even be a part of the game. I can't wait to see what they actually did with it (or what you have to do to get on it)...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED

Or more specifically, since me and Deeds didn't get the chance to record audio, there will be a week where I'll be unable to make videos since I'm going somewhere with terrible internet connection (family, grumble, grumble) that is no place for a Skype call, so the LP will not be finishing on Christmas, alas. Maybe on New Year. That's still festive... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
This was the plan to ruin Christmas

• Locked thread