Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

the spyder posted:

I made it through the day without quitting. Let's see if I can make it through the week. Ironically enough, planning to leave has made me want to fix all the little issues and I got a ton done today :unsmith:.

Work every day as if you'll be hit by a bus on the way in tomorrow. That is, document as you go, finish discrete tasks each day (rather than inching forward a million different things), keep track of the ongoing things you are working on in some organized form (be it trello, post it notes, tickets or whatever). And of course, don't worry about the hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
We just migrated 700+GB of public folders into exchange online. Had to spend 2 weeks turning them into PSTs and then moving them via outlook. Some of them were so big they broke Microsoft's data store limits and now they have to be redone. Oh yeah and due to people having 10+ subfolders per job we are bumping into limits on the sheer number of folders. I'd rather quit and become a printer repair tech than ever deal with email again.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

AutoArgus posted:

Dirsync with password sync! Unless there's a good goddamn reason you have to use ADFS, don't! You get same sign-on and you're not tied to any single server or server farm to log on, and no loving around with ADFS proxies! If someone tells you that you have to use ADFS for a hybrid configuration they're a goddamn liar or they're doing some special snowflake bullshit.

I roll a new one of these out practically every month or two these days, I wish to hell I knew who keeps telling people they have to use ADFS with O365 (Besides ancient technet articles of course :v:).

Thank you for this - I set up Office 365 at one of our clients three years ago and at the time ADFS was the way to go. I'm now migrating another client and came across dirsync, and have been all confused as to why one would use ADFS any more - didn't set ADFS up for this migration, but have been wondering if I still need to. Dirsync is a billion times easier to set up and makes so much more sense since it's not tying to the company servers. (In fact maybe I'll change the other client to just use dirsync now).

Now if I could just get O365 to actually talk to the goddamn Exchange 2007 server at this client we'd be in business. (Cutover migration, Outlook Anywhere is theoretically working according to testexchangeconnectivity except for an RPC error on port 6004, something to do with the address book, which I suspect is the underlying problem behind the migration wizard in O365 failing to connect properly to the server, except as with most things cloud it just loving fails without any actual useful information as to why).

Edit: and yes I've gone through the registry settings Technet says to check to allow port 6004, and added firewall rules, and even added ASA rules for the mail server's public, and right now I'm just generally annoyed at the whole thing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Got the same poo poo for 2010, I just opened the port ranges from 6000-6004.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo pissing me off: people who think that our team are loving computer janitors. First line's handled by a helpline somewhere else, but if they need someone on site, well, first line can't be trusted to walk between sites and we're on-hand, so we go do it to remind the rest of the department that we exist. Normally it's fine, but you get the occasional user who refuses to believe that any A/V stuff can work without me or a co-worker there. We don't have to touch anything, but they think we've got an aura. Guess whose turn it is today!

"We need someone to be on-hand at nine as we have $PERSON presenting for $PRESTIGIOUSPOSITION and we need to make sure it'll work." It's a teaching room. It's worked five times a day every day for the last couple of years. You actually mean "I want someone on-hand so if $PERSON can't connect a VGA cable it looks like it's your fault."

"Oh, and can you be here again at 14:00? Another interviewee for $PRESTIGIOUSPOSITION." I can do half-two. "Well, okay, but I'll be here from 14:00." That's nice. I'll still be demonstrating my system for managing the university's entire Mac infrastructure to senior management then. I have a job to do that isn't pandering to your inability to turn on a loving projector.

This'un's whole manner treats us as silly little computer people, the oompa-loompas of the department, rather than sysadmins who happen to be the only on-site support and don't want to piss off senior management by saying "no" too often.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
So my boss bitched out our sysadmin yesterday because we've had temporary profiles on our VDI environment for the past month, and this guy's solution was to create entirely new accounts for us. I'm almost to the point of asking for admin access so I can fix it myself.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

psydude posted:

So my boss bitched out our sysadmin yesterday because we've had temporary profiles on our VDI environment for the past month, and this guy's solution was to create entirely new accounts for us. I'm almost to the point of asking for admin access so I can fix it myself.

Surely it's just an issue where your AD accounts don't have read/write to your profile store? Someone hosed up permission inheritance?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

LordVorbis posted:

Surely it's just an issue where your AD accounts don't have read/write to your profile store? Someone hosed up permission inheritance?

It's been an ongoing problem for over a month now. The previous sysadmin set it up to split accounts between DCs (not replicate, but actually split - so half were on one and half were on another). When the DC housing our accounts crapped out, they tried to move them all to a VM, which is when the problems started. I should note that our current sysadmin had worked only desktop support owing to the Peter Principle, and was promoted to admin status when his predecessor left. Big IT decided to bring in some remote "all-star" systems engineers to try to fix it, but all they succeeded in doing was bringing down our entire environment while I had a Cisco engineer in for a pro serv engagement. Oh, and of course we don't have a support contract with Microsoft because why would we possibly do that.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
I had two digits wrong in the stored procedure I wrote's logging code, so it referenced a sp that didn't exist. Of course, when a coworker on the team that looks at logs noticed this, he cc'd THE ENTIRE COMPANY to get it fixed.

:argh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DigitalRaven posted:

"We need someone to be on-hand at nine as we have $PERSON presenting for $PRESTIGIOUSPOSITION and we need to make sure it'll work." It's a teaching room. It's worked five times a day every day for the last couple of years. You actually mean "I want someone on-hand so if $PERSON can't connect a VGA cable it looks like it's your fault."

I hate this poo poo so hard. We have a presentation coming up next year, but the people booking it are cheap and lazy and didn't get a place with a sound board or anything - just a theatre with a microphone. The presenter wants to use some audio clips, so they're trying to conscript me into the technologically difficult position of holding a loving microphone next to a CD player's speakers and pressing play/pause on the presenter's mark.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hate this poo poo so hard. We have a presentation coming up next year, but the people booking it are cheap and lazy and didn't get a place with a sound board or anything - just a theatre with a microphone. The presenter wants to use some audio clips, so they're trying to conscript me into the technologically difficult position of holding a loving microphone next to a CD player's speakers and pressing play/pause on the presenter's mark.

There has to be a sound board somewhere in the location...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well there is, but we don't have access to it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Just go in there, hold the mic up to a speaker and when some irate sound tech busts in wondering what the gently caress, ask him to plug the CD player in :v:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Nonono. A soundboard that you can conceal in your hand and use to make AAArrrrhnold sounds at fitting times.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Meetings are loving pointless. We have one every week to talk to eachother, talk about what we don't quite understand how to do, things like that.

Every single time I try and talk my manager tells me to not bother and that he'll get someone else to email it round, despite everyone being right there taking notes. I think i'm going to start skipping them.

E: Meetings at my workplace, I should say.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 4, 2014

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

incoherent posted:

To be fair ADFS was the only legitimate way to deploy o365 when it first launched. The original dirsync had a bizarre limitation that prevented it from running on x64 machines (post 2008 R2 SP1). They've come a long way but they totally soured those who had to initially configure their infrastructure for o365.

This is why you see terrible ADFS deployments everywhere: the admins were too battlescarred to go back and spin up dirsync and they now have a convenient scapegoat why "cloud" doesn't work in all situations, when it totally does for email.

True, I will completely forgive anyone who jumped up to the cloud in the wave 14 days for a lovely deployment that embittered them against the whole thing, especially if they had to do anything like building a hybrid server completely by hand, or god forbid if they had to make the jump from Groupwise or Notes (Quest will get the job done, but only once it's had enough blood offerings).

Potato Alley posted:

Thank you for this - I set up Office 365 at one of our clients three years ago and at the time ADFS was the way to go. I'm now migrating another client and came across dirsync, and have been all confused as to why one would use ADFS any more - didn't set ADFS up for this migration, but have been wondering if I still need to. Dirsync is a billion times easier to set up and makes so much more sense since it's not tying to the company servers. (In fact maybe I'll change the other client to just use dirsync now).

Now if I could just get O365 to actually talk to the goddamn Exchange 2007 server at this client we'd be in business. (Cutover migration, Outlook Anywhere is theoretically working according to testexchangeconnectivity except for an RPC error on port 6004, something to do with the address book, which I suspect is the underlying problem behind the migration wizard in O365 failing to connect properly to the server, except as with most things cloud it just loving fails without any actual useful information as to why).

Edit: and yes I've gone through the registry settings Technet says to check to allow port 6004, and added firewall rules, and even added ASA rules for the mail server's public, and right now I'm just generally annoyed at the whole thing.

Concept wise, ADFS does an awful lot to address concerns that user authentication data is never truly exposed to the outside world, so its great for people that are terrified of the internet (but still want cloud services somehow). There are other services out there that are supposed to be able to basically do a cloud-based ADFS deployment like Okta, but my understanding is they're not cheap. Useful if you've got alot of federation going on though with Salesforce or such. Past that you're dead on, no reason to touch it. If you do double back to re-do their implimentation to decomission ADFS, just make sure you treat it like you're completely taking the federation out and re-installing a brand new domain sync. I'd be willing to bet that's what Wolrah's guy didn't do, just kinda jammed a newer version of dirsync in and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

For the new one couldn't hurt to start with the assumption that Outlook Anywhere was never set up right in the first place, and walk through it like you were deploying that feature for the very first time. Chances are you'll get about halfway through the process and find something just ham-fistedly hosed up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We have one secretary that used to be really good at sending tickets to the helpdesk, but lately has been just emailing the entire department for completely trivial requests. I've been sending her the boilerplate "please send your future requests to the helpdesk for administrative and auditing purposes" but she keeps replaying that she'll just contact someone else to fix her issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

Hahahahahaha....

I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, instead laughing at how bad a situation I was on the edge of could have been. One of my customers for which I do a sort of MSP thing for hired an "IT Guy" a few months ago in an attempt to save money (as if we were charging anywhere close to what a salaried employee costs). His big project when he finally decided to start doing something two months in was exactly this, getting their Office 365 system tied to their in-house AD for single signon and all that stuff.

He hosed it up horribly after going against our advice on it and ended up getting fired a few weeks later, presumably when they realized that literally the only thing he had ever attempted to do went down in flames, but I had never thought it through and realized what a time bomb he would have created had it actually been finished. Their main site, presumably where O365 would have been talking to, was having horrible internet performance at the time due to another self-caused problem.

I sort of wish he had lasted a little while longer so it could have been a slower burn to a larger explosion.

Something else that pisses me the hell off. How is it in 20-loving-14 still acceptable for "this doesn't autonegotiate right" to be acceptable? I have the same poo poo to deal with at a few of my customers who have fiber. Linksys and practically every other vendor got it right literally over a decade ago on consumer-grade crapware, yet hardware with four or five digit MSRPs still can't do it properly. If you can't do autonegotiation in 2014 you shouldn't ever do ethernet again.

I got unreasonably happy when a recent leased line handover document said to use auto negotiation on the interface connected to the CPE.

Edit: While we're (sort of) on the topic of ADFS vs. DirSync for Office 365, does DirSync let you change your password in Office 365 and sync back to AD?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2014

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
Kinda? I haven't played with it yet, but theres a beta feature for password writeback out there: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn688249.aspx

You have to be using Azure AD Premium with your O365 tenant however, which isn't terribly common. I've heard rumors that this may change in future releases though, there's supposed to be a major re-write of Dirsync coming somewhere in the future (Since its actually a hacked up version of Forefront Identity Manager right now).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mention it. When someone else mentions the lack of access, brandish a set of lock picks and a thoughtful expression. "Well, I could, if I had my line manager's approval."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DigitalRaven posted:

Mention it. When someone else mentions the lack of access, brandish a set of lock picks and a thoughtful expression. "Well, I could, if I had my line manager's approval."

We're booking a theatre from a local college for this, and they flat out said booking it gets access to the theatre and the necessary microphones only. No frills, no gimmicks - seats for butts, and mics for talkers. Anything fancy with lighting, or anything beyond that in audio are flat out not part of the deal. These services used to be offered, but they're either running into problems or don't feel like doing it, as no one renting the hall gets these any more.

I actually don't mind doing my part in making each presentation as lovely as possible. They continually ignore my input when I say get a real hall and especially rent a local AV company because they're cheap and have the equipment/expertise, but they always try to go cheaper and do as much in-house with equipment not made for the job (like using a $100 set of computer speakers and a classroom projector for a presentation to 500-600 people). None of it really falls into my job description either, and as far as I'm concerned, audio equipment is a facilities problem.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

We're booking a theatre from a local college for this

Then definitely do not do what I suggested. Only works if it's your employer's facilities that they're not letting you use.

quote:

I actually don't mind doing my part in making each presentation as lovely as possible. They continually ignore my input when I say get a real hall and especially rent a local AV company because they're cheap and have the equipment/expertise, but they always try to go cheaper and do as much in-house with equipment not made for the job (like using a $100 set of computer speakers and a classroom projector for a presentation to 500-600 people). None of it really falls into my job description either, and as far as I'm concerned, audio equipment is a facilities problem.

But it runs on electricity, that makes it IT's problem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Spent part of the day contacting all my vendors to let them know that I've left the company and will be keeping them in mind when I find my next job. Done LinkedIn out the wazoo, sent out about 20 requests to my network for recommendations.

The day after I quit I received a check for all my banked vacation time: 162 hours. I'm using this as a sort of clock to see if I can find a job within one month. If I do then it will be like I was getting paid the whole time.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So our Network Engineer is objecting to my comments that requiring us to expire all DHCP leases after a maximum duration of 4 years is shooting ourselves in the foot.

He's trialing this IPAM software that lets us expire a DHCP lease automatically. Right now the maximum time we can create grant someone an IP address lease on our DHCP server is four years.

I'm arguing that this is absolutely retarded because in 4 years hosts will begin randomly disconnecting from the network with no warning.

He doesn't see a problem with this.

I guess my plan is to not be here in four years.

loving retard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Shouldn't the device just get a new DHCP lease?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I like how sales people will randomly give my direct phone number to random assholes because I am the best/handsomest engineer in all of the lands. No, ma'am, I am not in the middle of unfucking Paraguay's criminal fingerprint server, of course I can help you with your stupid idiot printer for faggots.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

meanieface posted:

I had two digits wrong in the stored procedure I wrote's logging code, so it referenced a sp that didn't exist. Of course, when a coworker on the team that looks at logs noticed this, he cc'd THE ENTIRE COMPANY to get it fixed.

:argh:

Please take me off this list. :colbert:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

So our Network Engineer is objecting to my comments that requiring us to expire all DHCP leases after a maximum duration of 4 years is shooting ourselves in the foot.

He's trialing this IPAM software that lets us expire a DHCP lease automatically. Right now the maximum time we can create grant someone an IP address lease on our DHCP server is four years.

I'm arguing that this is absolutely retarded because in 4 years hosts will begin randomly disconnecting from the network with no warning.

He doesn't see a problem with this.

I guess my plan is to not be here in four years.

loving retard.
That's not how DHCP works, but if you really want something to keep the same IP address maybe use a reservation instead of a lease?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Dave_Indeed posted:

I like how sales people will randomly give my direct phone number to random assholes because I am the best/handsomest engineer in all of the lands. No, ma'am, I am not in the middle of unfucking Paraguay's criminal fingerprint server, of course I can help you with your stupid idiot printer for faggots.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

Let it go to voicemail, call back if necessary?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Wicaeed posted:

A four year lease? Is anybody else :stare:ing at this?

Our leases expire every eight hours. That's kind of the point. If it's online, it'll renew just fine. If it's not online, it expires so there's room for the next thing to come online.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

icehewk posted:

Let it go to voicemail, call back if necessary?

Because sometimes the calls are actual emergencies from law enforcement or military.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
But a four year lease gives everyone four years to hardcode IP addresses into everything. It's basic job security for the networking team.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Our leases expire every eight hours. That's kind of the point. If it's online, it'll renew just fine. If it's not online, it expires so there's room for the next thing to come online.

Yeah, I don't think he knows how DHCP works.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Well, you want to get a long lease to lock in the lower monthly rents for a long time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

That's not a lease. That's freehold.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I think 7 days is the normal for Windows Server. Usually leave it at that unless you have a small range and a high number of devices joining/leaving the network and you have no addresses available because it is still holding some for a phone which passed by the office 3 days ago.
Anything you don't want to change you put on a reservation anyway.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My company pushed out this survey to every employee. I've been nagged to complete it as tomorrow is the last day and I'm off to go and drink a shitload of beers at a Bell's.

Sign in to the page. Says it's confidential, then proceeds to ask me my age, gender, and business unit. Gee, a 30-34yo woman in IT, I wonder who that could be?? Then I'm asked to rate things on an agreement scale, like:

This organization treats employees with respect.
Senior management's actions support this organization's mission and values.
I am proud to tell people I work for this organization.
I would stay with this organization if offered a similar job elsewhere.
I would like to be working at this organization three years from now.

:lol:

Decided to be a rebel and answered 'disagree' to that first one. Too much of a chicken to do more than neutral on the rest though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Hell. I didn't even realize you could do a 4 year lease. Why is this happening?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sirotan posted:

Sign in to the page. Says it's confidential, then proceeds to ask me my age, gender, and business unit. Gee, a 30-34yo woman in IT, I wonder who that could be??

Company I worked for had one of those meetings where policies changed so they have to take people away from work in groups to explain poo poo to them and answer any questions. They took roll. Then they had an "anonymous" employee satisfaction survey and made sure that when everyone passed their papers to the center, each person put their own on TOP of the stack.

Boy people sure were happy and satisfied at that company. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We had a location that asked for toner the other day. We sent it to them using our distribution trucks.

The next day, they said they didn't get any toner and they need it really bad. Their district manager emailed and said they need toner so bad, put some on the next truck. We did.

Sometimes it takes one day for something to arrive on these trucks. Sometimes it takes 3. We don't control them. When we miss getting something on a truck one day, it has to wait until the next truck (which isn't always the next day).

Today, two days after their original request, they haven't received toner yet. They opened 4 tickets. They called three times. They called my cell phone. They sent numerous emails. We sent another toner FedEx.

I'm betting tomorrow they get three toner cartridges because they're dumb impatient assholes. I understand they need toner, but the real problem is their impatience and the "I.T. ISN'T HELPING US WE'VE CALLED SO MANY TIMES" bullshit.

Also gently caress printers.

(sometimes, toner does get stolen off of these trucks. They go to multiple stores in one day, and if an earlier store on the route sees it on the truck they'll just loving take it because why not. They're animals)