Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Plan on making up some pulled pork for the first time on Saturday, will be smoking up 2 x 8.5# butts.

I have always been a firm believer in, "if you need sauce on bbq, then it was not done right," however I see pulled pork as an exception to that as I generally apply that rule to brisket, ribs, chicken, etc.

What are some good finishing sauces you have found to mix in after doing the initial pulling of the pork? (if any at all)
What are some good sauces that you have found to use on the pork for serving on the sandwiches and or straight up on the meat?

I HATE sauces that have distinctive vinegar profiles to them, however would like to have a good two or three sauces options for people to choose from, I will be one of a few cooks preparing food for around 43 people or so, so while I don't like vinegar themed/flavored sauces I am sure others that are eating will, shoot me some ideas!

My plan is using Meatheads (from amazingribs.com) rub for the butts I am going to be smoking:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder
1/2 teaspoon salt per pound of meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bone_Enterprise posted:

My plan is using Meatheads (from amazingribs.com) rub for the butts I am going to be smoking:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder
1/2 teaspoon salt per pound of meat

That is pretty close to my "Mother" rub that I use and tweek depending on what I am making. However I am getting tired of the ginger in it so I think the next batch will not have any and I will start adding that in when I want it.

I also found that running the dark brown sugar through my spice grinder helps keep it from clumping so much.

As for the sauce to use I can't really help you because I still just use bottled stuff. I like Sweet Baby Rays Hot & Spicy but I keep a few other kinds on hand along with a ton of other non-bbq sauces.

The Bibigo Original Korean BBQ sauce from CJ Foods is great on pulled pork tacos. Meijer stopped carrying it though and I haven't found a local place to get it yet.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Trastion posted:

As for the sauce to use I can't really help you because I still just use bottled stuff. I like Sweet Baby Rays Hot & Spicy but I keep a few other kinds on hand along with a ton of other non-bbq sauces.

The Bibigo Original Korean BBQ sauce from CJ Foods is great on pulled pork tacos. Meijer stopped carrying it though and I haven't found a local place to get it yet.

I may end up doing store bought myself, may not have time to make up three separate batches of stuff.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trastion posted:

Seconding Sweet Baby Rays, as it's delicious, convenient, and the only one my mom buys. It's great on sandwiches.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Need to pick up some kings hawaiian rolls anyhow for them sammies, and some pork ribs.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The amazing ribs mustard sauce is the best thing I've put on pulled pork. I don't even bother making pulled pork unless I've got it on hand now, my taste buds have been spoiled.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok anyone care to share some sausage recipes?

I have decided that I want to use my smoker more during the winter and a great way to do that is start making my own sausages. I like pretty much any kinda of sausage, brats, kielbasa or whatever. I have a Kitchenaide stand mixer with a grinder/stuffer addon so I will be using that.

I am interested in doing both things that need to be smoked and will also do brats and stuff that I will grill from raw.

I like hot stuff so don't leave those recipes out.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Need to pick up some kings hawaiian rolls anyhow for them sammies, and some pork ribs.

Now you're rolling. I love how hawaiian rolls always go on BOGO near the holidays. Because sometimes, you dont have time to bake.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Trastion posted:

I have decided that I want to use my smoker more during the winter and a great way to do that is start making my own sausages. I like pretty much any kinda of sausage, brats, kielbasa or whatever. I have a Kitchenaide stand mixer with a grinder/stuffer addon so I will be using that.

I am interested in doing both things that need to be smoked and will also do brats and stuff that I will grill from raw.

This also interests me, but in a more abstract way, since I don't have a meat grinder or kitchenaide mixer.

Finally got around to getting the pastrami out of the brine the other day. I rinsed it off and let it soak in clean water overnight, and it smelled okay, so it was time to spice it up!

Now, where is my mortar and pestle...

Ah, here we are!

Rubbed in oil, and thoroughly spiced

I won't have time to smoke it until sunday, so hopefully it hasn't already rotted or doesn't rot any further in the meantime. Only time will tell!

I'll also be doing this turkey on tuesday, although I'll be spatchcocking it, and ignoring everything in the instructions except for the brine. Maybe I'll finally get around to smoking that fish one of those days too...

It's going to be a smoke-filled week!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I spatchcocked a Wiesnhendl (rather large, Oktoberfest-style chicken) the other day and I sincerely don't know what the gently caress I've been doing with my life until this point.

I'll probably do another one next week for a few friends and hopefully take some pretty pictures as I completely botched the whole surgical aspect of the spatchcockery and there was a bit of an issue getting half a bush of parsley into the picture, but I ended up drenching the parsley in beer, set the chicken on top of the bed of drenched parsley and put the entire thing into a large pan. The basting in the final quarter hour was just as basic as with a regular chicken and I've never, ever had chicken this tasty and juicy before.

I may need to turn down the overall temperature throughout all three steps a little more because, despite being rather large with close to 4 pounds, this was very far from a turkey and I ended up with some extra crispy tips.

(which I lovingly devoured nonetheless)

I think the one other thing outside of the spatchcocking that may have been a break of tradition in Wiesnhendling would be doing half of the process in my smoker, but it was well worth it.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Here are some shots from the prior mentioned event I went to over the weekend, sorry in advance for the varying sizes, took these pictures from various people that took images and not everyone knows which way to hold a camera when taking a picture.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

^^^ Yep, liking that a lot! Good stuff.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
I have a spatchcocked turkey on the smoker right now, and I just happened to misclick on the tab with the spatchcocking instructions, and realized I hosed up part of it. Better go fix it before it gets too far along!

Also, I think one of my thermometer probes has gone bad. When I smoked the pastrami the other night, it read like 200f as soon as I tossed it on the grill. I figured that was just because it was such a thin piece of meat that it was partially reading the air temp or something, but my turkey was reading over 100f before it even went in the fire, which I know isn't right.

Yeah, definitely the probe. I switched it out for one I had from an older single probe thermometer, and the temp dropped 50f.

Also, poo poo, I forgot to get some fresh rosemary to throw on the coals...

Oh well, this is why I'm making a test turkey!

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 18, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BLARGHLE posted:

I have a spatchcocked turkey on the smoker right now, and I just happened to misclick on the tab with the spatchcocking instructions, and realized I hosed up part of it.

What exactly did you mess up?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Suspect Bucket posted:

What exactly did you mess up?

I cut out the spine, and then folded it back up into a turkey shape. That kinda defeats the whole purpose of doing the spatchcock! I unfolded it as best I could while it was on the grill, and everything aside from the innermost part of the breast is done now. They're finishing off in the oven, so hopefully they don't get all dried out or whatever. I was supposed to be over at some friends' house like a half an hour ago, but you can't serve undercooked meat, so everyone is just going to have to wait.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Trastion posted:

I'd start with a fresh sausage first, get used to the basic process before getting more complicated with smoking. My brat recipe is modeled off of Ruhlman's.

5 lb pork butts
3 T salt
2 t pepper
1.5 t ginger
1.5 t mace
.5 t celery seed
2 eggs
1 cup of cream

Partiality freeze your meat to make it easier to grind. Grind your meat. Combine your spices with the cream and egg and mix the poo poo out of it to make sure everything is evenly incorporated. Then add that mixture to your meat, again overmix to make sure it's evenly incorporated and to develop a little tackiness. Stick it in the fridge to chill while you set up your stuffer.

You can adapt any fresh sausage recipe for smoking by adding 2 t of pink salt for a five pound batch.

There's a few other people in the charcuterie thread who also make sausage, join us!

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Posting this here too -

LTBS posted:

Work had a group buy so I got:

WSM 22.5

One Touch Gold 22.5

and covers for the OTG and an older Genesis Silver B.

Gonna grill the gently caress out of poo poo because fire.

Replacing my current 22.5 WSM and 22.5 One Touch Silver. The WSM spent too much time uncovered because I hosed up and started rusting and had issues with mold. I get a huge discount through work, so I figured it was time to get a new one.

Now I have to decide on whether to get a CyberQ WiFi or something else for a temp controller.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I killed my WSM grates by leaving them in the smoker and they got rusty. They're also loving expensive to replace in Canada because Weber sucks.

The best thing for keeping your smoker dry and mold free is keeping all your vents open during storage and flipping the middle piece upside down and storing it that way. That way the lip of the barrel is inverted and doesn't catch the water that the cover lets through.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LTBS posted:

Posting this here too -

Replacing my current 22.5 WSM and 22.5 One Touch Silver. The WSM spent too much time uncovered because I hosed up and started rusting and had issues with mold. I get a huge discount through work, so I figured it was time to get a new one.

Now I have to decide on whether to get a CyberQ WiFi or something else for a temp controller.

Wife and I recently went with the Performer Gold with a cover. Thing is amazing. Love the table, bucket for charcoal, timer, and hooks for brush and tools. You don't need any of that if you have a picnic table and a cheap trash can, but it makes it so convenient (and we just moved and didn't have any of those other things).

WSM is next, any reason to go with the 22.5 over the smaller 18.5 other than size? I don't ever plan on cooking for so many people that I would need that larger size, but if there is anything else that makes it worth it, I could be convinced.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

El Jebus posted:

WSM is next, any reason to go with the 22.5 over the smaller 18.5 other than size? I don't ever plan on cooking for so many people that I would need that larger size, but if there is anything else that makes it worth it, I could be convinced.

No unless you need the extra size it's better to go with the 18.5. Easier on fuel and less space.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

El Jebus posted:

WSM is next, any reason to go with the 22.5 over the smaller 18.5 other than size? I don't ever plan on cooking for so many people that I would need that large size, but if there is anything else that makes it worth it, I could be convinced.

I have the 18.5, a full brisket won't fit on it. This is the only downside. Like the guy above me said it's better with fuel and such since it takes less to fill, but I've wanted to do a full brisket before and you just can't. Then again you have the performer which can easily be used to smoke said brisket, so the 18.5 might be your best bet

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

McSpankWich posted:

I have the 18.5, a full brisket won't fit on it. This is the only downside. Like the guy above me said it's better with fuel and such since it takes less to fill, but I've wanted to do a full brisket before and you just can't. Then again you have the performer which can easily be used to smoke said brisket, so the 18.5 might be your best bet

There's plenty of packers that'll fit on an 18.5, maybe find a smaller one by weight or trim it up?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Woof! Woof! posted:

There's plenty of packers that'll fit on an 18.5, maybe find a smaller one by weight or trim it up?

I have done several full packers in the 9-12lb range that fit just fine on an 18.5". If they run a little long, you could even put something underneath the center of the brisket to put a slight hump in it basically reducing the length.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
If anyone is in the market for some new cast iron grates for their weber or BGE/Kamado grill, I got a 25% off code for http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

code: blackgrates25

it's good till Sat Nov 29th

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

niss posted:

If anyone is in the market for some new cast iron grates for their weber or BGE/Kamado grill, I got a 25% off code for http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

code: blackgrates25

it's good till Sat Nov 29th

I might use it just for the pizza stone. I need to pick myself up a good stoker soon too. I'd love to throw a butt or brisket on before leaving for work in the morning and know it will be finishing up as I get home.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
I am planning on smoking a turkey this Thursday for the first time. I am planning on brining and Spatchcocking it would applying a rub also be worth wild? I have a MES smoker that gets up to around 275 does a cook time of 15 to 20 min per pound sound about right?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why cook at 275? Fire up a grill to 450 and get crispy skin while the bird is done in 2hrs or so.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

sellouts posted:

Why cook at 275? Fire up a grill to 450 and get crispy skin while the bird is done in 2hrs or so.

450 with an electric smoker is a pretty tall order this time of year in some climates. I know mine wouldn't be able to do it.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004

sellouts posted:

My electric smoker only goes up to 275.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

sellouts posted:

While it's not possible on all rigs, a spatchcocked turkey at 400 to 450 is a thing of beauty. I've done two since halloween on my pellet smoker, and they've both been great. Making soup this evening from the stock I made from the carcasses.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

If I want to get my WSM 18.5" up to 450 what's the setup most people use? I've seen 400-450ish when I was burning out some mold with a full chimney lit and no water, but that was the dead of summer and it wasn't 35 degrees and possibly snowing. I have a 22" kettle also if that'd be better?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

This. Last time I used my 22" WSM I got it up to 400ish and cooked 2 turkeys in a couple of hours. Turkey (and poultry in general) isn't exactly a low and slow kinda meat.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

If I want to get my WSM 18.5" up to 450 what's the setup most people use? I've seen 400-450ish when I was burning out some mold with a full chimney lit and no water, but that was the dead of summer and it wasn't 35 degrees and possibly snowing. I have a 22" kettle also if that'd be better?
I usually almost completely fill the charcoal ring, then dump a full chimney of lit coals over the top, and then kinda mix them in. Run the vents wide open and skip putting any water in the pan. Should be able to hit 400 no problem. If you don't quite get there, prop the door open just a little bit.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 26, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'm going to try a turkey on my WSM this Sunday, and I'm just going to take the water pan out, get about 1.5 chimneys of coals burning red hot, open all the vents, and let it cook at whatever temp that gets it to. I assume it will be about 325-350 since it's going to be about 55 and raining. If the texture of the skin isn't good enough, I'll finish it in the oven at 450 in the oven or my gas grill for 5-10 minutes.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Got up at 6 this morning to get my turkey started. Even after 5 days in the fridge and 12 hours in the brine, it's still reading at 26f in the deepest part of the breast...I would have thought that would have been plenty of time for a 20lbs turkey to thaw, but I guess not. Maybe I'll remove the limbs when they're done, and throw the breasts back on for another hour or two. Hopefully it'll be all finished by noon, so to grandmother's house we can go.

I know it's a little late for most people to be starting brines, but I'll lay mine out in case anyone is interested-

6qts chicken stock
10lbs ice
1qt cold water
1.5lbs honey
1lb kosher salt

I'm using pecan wood pellets and rosemary and thyme sprigs for smoke. Does anybody else have trouble getting hickory? There's only one store in my area that sells the cooking kind of wood pellets, and they sell out of the hickory as soon as they get more in. One would think that they could just order more than a couple bags at a time, but here we are.

Oh, also, I managed to partially melt my chimney starter, so that was nice.

E: Apparently I could have slept in a while longer, because it's done already. Spatchcoking is pretty great, but I guess we're going to be having cold/reheated turkey for lunch!

The skin is blackened, but the meat is still juicy. It ended up being about 2.5 hours at from the time it went on the grill until the deepest breast meat got over 150f with grill temps ranging from 330f to 380f.

Between that and the spinach puffs in the oven, the house smells pretty amazing right now.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 27, 2014

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Help! My birds' temps are measuring at ~159 in the breast and ~150 in the thigh, but I don't take them to my inlaws for 3 hours. The temp on my smoker is holding at about 225 right now. Will I over cook the crap out of these things? Is there a way I can pull them if they finish early while maintaining temp until lunch around 1-2?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Trustfund. posted:

Help! My birds' temps are measuring at ~159 in the breast and ~150 in the thigh, but I don't take them to my inlaws for 3 hours. The temp on my smoker is holding at about 225 right now. Will I over cook the crap out of these things? Is there a way I can pull them if they finish early while maintaining temp until lunch around 1-2?

You can do something like this, or you could cover it in foil and put it in the oven at the lowest setting.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Wrap in foil, wrap that in a towel and throw in a cooler. I've held chicken and brisket both at temp that way for a couple of hours.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
What's the general opinion of the Masterbuilt series of electric smokers? I've been wanting to pick something up for smoking brisket and chicken with the occasional turkey. Basically just looking for something easy that I can set and forget without much fuss. If I want to have the whole cooking with fire experience I'll use my old man's Pitts and Spitts smoker.

Is there a particular brand of wood chips that are better to use? Early in the thread it was recommended to get the A-maze-n Pellet Smoker. Is this really needed?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

blk96gt posted:

What's the general opinion of the Masterbuilt series of electric smokers? I've been wanting to pick something up for smoking brisket and chicken with the occasional turkey. Basically just looking for something easy that I can set and forget without much fuss. If I want to have the whole cooking with fire experience I'll use my old man's Pitts and Spitts smoker.

Is there a particular brand of wood chips that are better to use? Early in the thread it was recommended to get the A-maze-n Pellet Smoker. Is this really needed?

I have a MB 40" electric and love it because it is set it and forget it. However you will NOT get crispy skin on poultry. Though you can throw it on the grill or in a pan to crisp the skin. I just use the small wood chips (I am not sure of the brand) that I got off Amazon. I have looked into the AMPS but haven't decided to do that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

blk96gt posted:

Trastion posted:

I have a MB 40" electric and love it because it is set it and forget it. However you will NOT get crispy skin on poultry. Though you can throw it on the grill or in a pan to crisp the skin. I just use the small wood chips (I am not sure of the brand) that I got off Amazon. I have looked into the AMPS but haven't decided to do that yet.

Pretty much what Trastion said, I have a 40" as well and it has served me fairly well, and I have made tons of tasty poo poo in it.
One thing I can not recommend enough is no matter where you buy it, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!, some people have gone years without anything happening to theirs, some less than a year, some just a few months, the few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind, the heating element went out on mine and had to be replaced with my extended warranty, also the first unit I got went out in eight months before I got that one.

That being said I have the AMPS, the Tube Smoker, and the original AMNS and these things are amazing, also serve as a great time saver since you don't have to reload the chip tray every 30~40 minutes or whatever the gently caress it is.
I honestly never got the hang of using the pellets and have stuck with using the sawdust, think my problem was not initially lighting it long enough for it to keep a good enough coal bed to last the entire cook.

Todd is pretty awesome, and you should buy his product(s) is pretty much what I am trying to say.