Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I don't recognize any of these players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's horace grants son!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
^^^Harvey Grant's son

And Aaron Gordon's older brother

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
If the Raptors traded for Josh Smith I would take all my team merch out back and burn it.

Toxx.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

rabidsquid posted:

I think it's a real shame the way things happened with Drummond and Monroe, their skills really compliment each other. It's too bad that rumored trade with Phoenix never developed because I bet Monroe would be outstanding in their offense and could develop a corner three game. He could actually fit a lot of cutting offensive schemes considering his ability to pass out of the post or from the elbow.

It's crazy to me that the Pistons are staring the solution in the face and just won't do it. Just put those two together and let Josh Smith shoot the second unit off the floor or something, I mean god drat. Josh Smith's shooting is so loving bad I bet it has lost Detroit 4-5 of their close games this season (they've lost a ton of single digit games where Josh Smith was shooting like 25% on a huge quantity of FGAs).

That people are developing scenarios where the #1 team in the East would want to trade multiple assets to take on Josh Smith's disgraceful play at his astonishing salary is crazy. I want to say that Smith is actually the worst performance/salary player in the NBA right now, and I had to check some other usual offenders. Like Amare is having a much better season than Smith right now, I'd trade for that straight up right now if I was Detroit even though it torpedoes their salary next year. This isn't like some Rasheed Wallace to Detroit change of scenery type scenario, his play is completely irredeemable.

The last two big FA opportunities Detroit has had they've blown them both on terrible players at huge contracts and then they gently caress the rest of the team up around them. They should have never signed Smith in the first place and just given a big extension to Monroe and giving him the green light to develop. Their whole roster is hosed and it's because of Josh Smith.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

"disgraceful play" lmao you couldn't sound more like an old white dude if you tried.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

straight up brolic posted:

"disgraceful play" lmao you couldn't sound more like an old white dude if you tried.

I don't have any idea how you would read anything racial into that without monumental mental gymnastics and self-projection, but I will clarify since my post was not obvious enough apparently:

It is lacking grace to post negative OWS, negative O+/-, and an anemic TS% (like someone posted yesterday one of the worst in the modern era), on a team that desperately needs your offense and drives a significant portion of it through you.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Libertine posted:

words about Josh Smith

Josh Smith for Chuck Hayes and Landry Fields works in the trade machine. And I think Toronto does that deal 10 times out of 10.

It's funny you say "#1 team in the East" and not "6-7th best team in the league".

And you are right that Rasheed isn't a good comparison. Z-Bo is a much better comparison, but then again Z-Bo worked out for your team so you couldn't use him. Though I will admit Josh Smith is looking much worse than Clippers or NY Z-Bo ever did.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Neither Rasheed nor Randolph ever played a single season in their careers where they performed as bad as Smith has in his two years in Detroit. To list them as comparable reclamation projects is a disservice to both how good they still were and how bad Smith is playing presently.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Libertine posted:

Neither Rasheed nor Randolph ever played a single season in their careers where they performed as bad as Smith has in his two years in Detroit. To list them as comparable reclamation projects is a disservice to both how good they still were and how bad Smith is playing presently.

True, though both had much worse off-the-court issues.

Rudy Gay had similar numbers his last season in Toronto prior to being traded. Diaw actually put up worse numbers in Charlotte. Monta wasn't as bad numbers wise but he had been pretty mediocre for much longer if you include his time at Golden State.

A lot of players aren't motivated when playing for bad teams. I'm not saying that's ok, but I think a smart GM will buy low with Josh Smith and get a good player out of it.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
How many teams will Josh Smith have to play for so that we know for sure that he's not a good player.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Parlett316 posted:

How many teams will Josh Smith have to play for so that we know for sure that he's not a good player.

The Josh Smith we saw on the Hawks was a good player. He wasn't an all-star by any means, but that production would be worth his current $13m/year price tag, especially with the cap going up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Parlett316 posted:

He is/was very good on one end of the floor and passable on the other as long as he wasn't taking threes

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WYA posted:

Looking at the Knicks in the standings right now... uhhh are they trying to tank this year? How have they regressed even further from their putrid selves last year?

Spacebump posted:

They downgraded at center. Derek Fisher is now their coach.

Yes, the Knicks are tanking at least for this season. I've watched professional NBA centers reach over Quincy Acy and Jason Smith for rebounds all year now. Dalembert's rim protection has kinda been fantastic but 17.5 minutes per game from Samuel Dalembert isn't making a team a contender. They are tanking because they did not equip themselves with a roster capable of winning close NBA games, and it appears that it will set up the team to benefit in the near future, so yeah. They're tanking, riding out expiring bad contracts.

and weirdly enough Derek Fisher doesn't seem to be that bad a coach. I been watching some Knicks games like "whoa that was a really nice inbounds play haven't seen that from this team before"

MVP posted:

Women should be allowed to play in the NBA because the WNBA will never be popular.

They should also shower in the same room because gender equality

I don't believe there is any rule preventing women from playing in the NBA, just a lack of height and athleticism.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 4, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

EvanTH posted:

I don't believe there is any rule preventing women from playing in the NBA, just a lack of height and athleticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvf0WWxrYRM

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

True, though both had much worse off-the-court issues.

Rudy Gay had similar numbers his last season in Toronto prior to being traded. Diaw actually put up worse numbers in Charlotte. Monta wasn't as bad numbers wise but he had been pretty mediocre for much longer if you include his time at Golden State.

A lot of players aren't motivated when playing for bad teams. I'm not saying that's ok, but I think a smart GM will buy low with Josh Smith and get a good player out of it.

What were Rasheed's off the court issues, other than correctly identifying a dirty ref as a dirty ref?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Jason Kidd a good coach? I want to dislike him but that Bucks team is playing way above their talent level right now.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Niwrad posted:

Is Jason Kidd a good coach? I want to dislike him but that Bucks team is playing way above their talent level right now.

I think he has excellent assistants and it lets him focus on getting players to buy in and all that intangible stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rasheed also had a funny scene in the movie Juwanna Mann.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Papercut posted:

What were Rasheed's off the court issues, other than correctly identifying a dirty ref as a dirty ref?

I should've said "on and off the court issues" for Wallace. I was thinking of "CTC", threatening Donaghy, his association with the Jail Blazers (iirc he was busted for weed and also in the car when Damon was busted for weed, which wasn't nearly as bad as Bonzi, Z-Bo or Ruben), and his record for technical fouls.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

BIZORT posted:

College and pro ball are the same so McDermott will succeed. That's why Terry Dehere is in the Hall of Fame

HOW OLD ARE YOU???

edit: I dont mean that as a shot because you bring up good pre-NBA Jam era players for me to look up but gently caress

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 4, 2014

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

This was an interesting read.

I don't have a lot of faith/weight in any stats or conclusion drawn from stats that hinges strongly on assists.

Sheed has one of the best NBA interviews ever (both teams played hard).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ross posted:

I don't have a lot of faith/weight in any stats or conclusion drawn from stats that hinges strongly on assists.

Nor should you! Nonbookkeeping stats like assists, steals, and blocks are incredibly inconsistent from arena to arena.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

It's a near certainty he'll improve. I only said that because there was a minority of people on here who smugly said he was one of the best or most efficient scorers in NCAA history, not really taking into account how different the two games are

I used that as evidence that he would be a good outside shooter which I think will probably still be true. No one was saying he was going to be anything close to the player he was in college.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Declan MacManus posted:

He is/was very good on one end of the floor and passable on the other as long as he wasn't taking threes

Unfortunately he has just substituted the long two for the three, which he doesn't shoot any better and is a less valuable shot. He had some quote earlier this year or maybe last year about how he doesn't pay attention to where he is on the floor when he shoots. What kind of idiot pays attention to where they are anyways?? Not J-Smoove.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

dokmo posted:

Nor should you! Nonbookkeeping stats like assists, steals, and blocks are incredibly inconsistent from arena to arena.

Does the player tracking data fix that, or does it still rely on scorekeeping to determine what's an assist?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

morestuff posted:

Does the player tracking data fix that, or does it still rely on scorekeeping to determine what's an assist?

I am not going to talk much about this but I would say that most effort using player tracking will be used to create better new stats rather than fix scorekeeper stats. For example the biggest problem with assists is not the subjectiveness in crediting assists, but only giving assists with made shots from the field. Tracking passes themselves and their outcomes renders assist numbers irrelevant.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

dokmo posted:

I am not going to talk much about this but I would say that most effort using player tracking will be used to create better new stats rather than fix scorekeeper stats. For example the biggest problem with assists is not the subjectiveness in crediting assists, but only giving assists with made shots from the field. Tracking passes themselves and their outcomes renders assist numbers irrelevant.

Tell me who the greatest hockey assist NBA player of all time is

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

It's crazy to me that the Pistons are staring the solution in the face and just won't do it. Just put those two together and let Josh Smith shoot the second unit off the floor or something, I mean god drat. Josh Smith's shooting is so loving bad I bet it has lost Detroit 4-5 of their close games this season (they've lost a ton of single digit games where Josh Smith was shooting like 25% on a huge quantity of FGAs).

That people are developing scenarios where the #1 team in the East would want to trade multiple assets to take on Josh Smith's disgraceful play at his astonishing salary is crazy. I want to say that Smith is actually the worst performance/salary player in the NBA right now, and I had to check some other usual offenders. Like Amare is having a much better season than Smith right now, I'd trade for that straight up right now if I was Detroit even though it torpedoes their salary next year. This isn't like some Rasheed Wallace to Detroit change of scenery type scenario, his play is completely irredeemable.

The last two big FA opportunities Detroit has had they've blown them both on terrible players at huge contracts and then they gently caress the rest of the team up around them. They should have never signed Smith in the first place and just given a big extension to Monroe and giving him the green light to develop. Their whole roster is hosed and it's because of Josh Smith.

I apologize for beating this dead horse, but Mike Woodson got him to stop shooting threes in 2009-10 and it made his win shares rise to 9.3 and his per rise to 21. If he plays power forward and doesn't shoot those shots you get someone who's quicker and more skilled (at things other than shooting) than power forwards he matches up against.

He has great timing for non weakside blocks, he's a very smart passer, and a decent ball handler. He's worth a second round pick and fluff. Especially if you can hire Mike Woodson as a Josh Smith only coach and have him stare under his naked brow.

It's the NBA, the un-tradeable are traded ever year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Brandon Jennings is proof literally any ability to create a shot no matter how awful will keep you in the league.

loving below 40 fg% still nets him above MLE.

Stop using FG%!! It's a dumb stat that totally ignores the extra point you get from 3s and the points you get for FTs. Brandon Jennings is TS% 52% at 25% Usage. That makes him comparable to John Wall and Ty Lawson, and shooting way more 3s at a higher %. He's been playing pretty well, considering how bad Detroit has been.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Yeah well the Miami Heat loving suck so there's my take. Nah, I'm totally talking myself into this year. It's fun. I like it. Feels great. Let's go for josh smith. We could use size.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Faxanadu posted:

Yeah well the Miami Heat loving suck so there's my take. Nah, I'm totally talking myself into this year. It's fun. I like it. Feels great. Let's go for josh smith. We could use size.

I've only seen one Heat game so far, how has McRoberts been, how has Deng been?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I would gladly take a Josh Smith if all it cost us was Derrick Williams and any part of Carlon Lampson

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What is the deal with these swingman jerseys

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Pretty good parody of inside the nba

http://youtu.be/WFFfD15RJ4k?list=UUwKb-p-axncctFdbKiyxZHQ

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i would take josh smith for spencer hawes and matt barnes AND play him at the three

t

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WYA posted:

What is the deal with these swingman jerseys
They're the intermediate jersey, between authentic and replica

Boo

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 4, 2014

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Igor Strelkov posted:

I apologize for beating this dead horse, but Mike Woodson got him to stop shooting threes in 2009-10 and it made his win shares rise to 9.3 and his per rise to 21. If he plays power forward and doesn't shoot those shots you get someone who's quicker and more skilled (at things other than shooting) than power forwards he matches up against.

He has great timing for non weakside blocks, he's a very smart passer, and a decent ball handler. He's worth a second round pick and fluff. Especially if you can hire Mike Woodson as a Josh Smith only coach and have him stare under his naked brow.

It's the NBA, the un-tradeable are traded ever year.

Yes. That's actually the most frustrating thing. There's a template for how to make Josh Smith into an all-star level PF, it's to prevent him from taking any shots on the outside, and focus entirely on inside offense / weak-side defense. Why a coaching staff hasn't forced him into this mold, or why Josh Smith himself hasn't thought "man why don't I play like I did a few years ago when I was incredibly awesome" is the mind-boggling part.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

I've only seen one Heat game so far, how has McRoberts been, how has Deng been?

Deng has been Deng. Fills in a lot of holes well but isn't spectacular at any one thing beyond wing defense. He seems like a good fit though.

McRoberts has been pretty invisible in the games I watched. Like everyone who played in Charlotte last year, he was way better in Charlotte last year. He also seems like a not-ideal fit next to Bosh, too many overlapping skills from guys who work best at the high post or above the break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pels sign Dante Cunningham. Supposed to be available for tonight's game. This team seriously lacks depth. He is probably the sixth best active player on the roster.

• Locked thread