Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I'm pretty pleased so far, at least playing in the original 4:3 aspect ratio the backgrounds don't look half as bad as they did on some of the screens, though I've heard complaints from people playing in widescreen mode. The FMV's are in high res too.

The japanese version features english and japanese voice over and englisch, japanese, german, spanish, french and italian subtitles.

The game has manual reloading like in RE4 and later titles (R1 + X), I couldn't remember if that was in the original GC release as well, but appearently it's new to this version.

There are some framerate hiccups, most noticably during cutscenes. I think it has something to do with the new lighting, that's when it usually starts to get a little bad, but it's still minor enough.

All in all I'm content with this release.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I just started playing RE Revelations and wanted to know what the extent of the backtracking is. I figure it will be limited to Jill's parts, but I just beat the first boss and already feel like an idiot for running around the ship for about 10 minutes figuring where to go before that. I don't know if it's the layout or I'm just stupid but my sense of direction is for poo poo so far. Not even the blinking yellow "GO HERE" thing on the map can save me.

I do like how you can switch between languages. I feel a lot better about things now that I can hear other tongues' take on mega-buff Chris Redfield.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 2, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
New trailer for Revelations 2. Barry's aged remarkably well.

Sivek posted:

I just started playing RE Revelations and wanted to know what the extent of the backtracking is. I figure it will be limited to Jill's parts, but I just beat the first boss and already feel like an idiot for running around the ship for about 10 minutes figuring where to go before that. I don't know if it's the layout or I'm just stupid but my sense of direction is for poo poo so far. Not even the blinking yellow "GO HERE" thing on the map can save me.

There's a fair amount of backtracking through the Zenobia, but they break it up with a lot of excursions to different maps.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Wanderer posted:

more like de-aged, the dude looks younger which is hilarious

man i hope this game is good.

also wesker and hunk are DLC/season pass bonus characters for raid mode. hooray i guess.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Fighting zombies is the one true fountain of youth. Barry knows.

Barry knows. :unsmith:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
As long as we get to headbutt zombies for AMERICA and mantle waist-high fences at hilariously low, awkward speeds, I am fine with whatever appearance they choose to give Barry.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Man I love how Barry has a backback just like all the important characters did in The Last of Us. It's a trend I guess?

Now I feel like a hero every time I go outside my house because I always have a backpack. :clint:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Will Rev 2 be on the RE6 combat engine?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Will Rev 2 be on the RE6 combat engine?

it's on a modified version of the REV1 engine, which is still also mt framework anyways.
there's dodging but overall the combat doesn't look at dynamic- the dodging looks a lot stiffer in general, and there's still only one type of melee from what it looks like rather than the complex melee system that re6 had

basically it looks like a faster REV1 with manual dodging, which i guess isn't unexpected- the core system just looks like if the first revelations was designed for consoles rather than the 3DS.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Daily exposure to anti-rust gun oil will do that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

gently caress em then. I love Barry and all but Revelations wasn't very good.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Anonymous Robot posted:

gently caress em then. I love Barry and all but Revelations wasn't very good.

Compared to what?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Compared to RE5 and 6. I played it on PC so it doesn't really matter to me if it's good for a handheld.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fereydun posted:

also wesker

:haw::haw:

I'm glad they kept Barry's VA and that his weapon is pretty much the same as his RE5 Mercs Reunion Samurai Edge.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like 5 and 6 more than the average person and Revelations was pretty great and fun. Revelations 2 looks rad so far.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

I'm glad they kept Barry's VA and that his weapon is pretty much the same as his RE5 Mercs Reunion Samurai Edge.
Is that really Jamieson Price? It almost sounds more like Michael McConnohie as Barry.

That said, I am looking forward to Old Man Barry bulldoze through BOWs and monsters alike with nothing more than a magnum and his beard.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo barry! i knew capcom would come through, i just knew it!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Barry always comes prepared :allears: which is why his Samurai Edge is more-or-less the same one he had as a member of STARS, same with his Colt Python, by the looks of the barrel shroud.

That just means I hope that all of the S.T.A.R.S and RPD logos are still modeled

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Here's a new trailer of REmake HD's upcoming PC release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a6-6QWyLGY

Gotta say, the character models look noticably better and the biggest surprise of all, it's 60fps.

Edit: Oh, and the release date is january the 20th.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 4, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

John Luebke posted:

Gotta say, the character models look noticably better and the biggest surprise of all, it's 60fps.

BOOOUUUGHT. I can't believe how much better this looks than the early comparison shots. On Gamecube they sort of cheated and the game would quickly load up higher detailed models for the in-game cutscenes but here it looks they're using said models by default.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 4, 2014

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

BOOOUUUGHT. I can't believe how much better this looks than the early comparison shots.

Like I said before, the PS3 release already turned out much better looking than I expected and this is still a very noticable improvement over that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

BOOOUUUGHT. I can't believe how much better this looks than the early comparison shots. On Gamecube they sort of cheated and the game would quickly load up higher detailed models for the in-game cutscenes but here it looks they're using said models by default.

Yeah, it's super impressive how a game from 2002 can still look that loving good with a few updates. You can definitely see the backgrounds looking a little grungy in some spots, but goddamn man. The 60 FPS boost makes a huge difference too.

Also it might be too early to tell, but the whole pan & scan thing seems to be a non-issue.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Hakkesshu posted:

Also it might be too early to tell, but the whole pan & scan thing seems to be a non-issue.

There was a video earlier that showcased that a lot, and it made me dizzy just watching the video. There wasn't as much in this video though. Maybe they made it not suck? :shrug:

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

John Luebke posted:

Here's a new trailer of REmake HD's upcoming PC release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a6-6QWyLGY

Edit: Oh, and the release date is january the 20th.

Jill sure has become a lot more.. bouncy.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

mirarant posted:

Man I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out. :negative:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Have they said what kind of unlockables there would be? That has always been part of the appeal to playing the old ones was unlocking all kinds of goodies for completing the game or other benchmarks.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

mirarant posted:

She had jiggle physics back in 2002. I guess it's more noticeable now because it's 1080p.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jimbot posted:

Have they said what kind of unlockables there would be? That has always been part of the appeal to playing the old ones was unlocking all kinds of goodies for completing the game or other benchmarks.

well thanks to the "Raccoon City Infection" campaign Chris and Jill's BSAA outfits are new unlockables. Other than that they'll probably just be the same ones from the original REmake, so Sara Conner Jill and the like

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am kind of bummed that they didn't allow you to skip the door animations. It was neat when I played years ago, but its loving annoying now, especially when you are just backtracking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

I am kind of bummed that they didn't allow you to skip the door animations. It was neat when I played years ago, but its loving annoying now, especially when you are just backtracking.

You're a monster.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Maybe, but after playing through RE3 for the PC and the original RE for the DS, its hard to go back. I shaved off about 45 minutes of playtime in the original just by skipping all of the door animations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think you could skip the doors in the N64 port of RE2, but I could be wrong.

I still can't believe RE2 made it on to the N64. :psyduck:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

I think you could skip the doors in the N64 port of RE2, but I could be wrong.

I still can't believe RE2 made it on to the N64. :psyduck:

With the cgi cutscenes too. It was pretty nuts.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To my knowledge the only RE versions without the doors are the PC ports of the original 3.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
With the PC version it should be pretty easy to mod them out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

John Luebke posted:

With the PC version it should be pretty easy to mod them out.

Yeah, if I do pick it up, that is probably the version I will go for.

Alteisen posted:

To my knowledge the only RE versions without the doors are the PC ports of the original 3.

The DS port of RE1 did it too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

The PC port of 1 definitely had the doors. That was the version I played back in the day.

Edit: Sorry, misread. I don't remember if you were able to skip them or not.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Maybe there will be a feature to turn off the door animations? Probably not since the latest advert for it featured all 256(?) doors.

Anyway I'm finally excited to play this after owning the GameCube version for years and only ever getting up to where the Crimson heads appear. I feel bad but, the inclusion of the modern controls as opposed to the tank controls is so appealing.

My first proper play of a Resi was 4 on the wii, holy poo poo playing that in my bedroom with the lights off, a Chinese takeaway consisting of egg friend rice, honey covered spare ribs and a strawberry milkshake as my dinner. I remember I started at 6ish and kept playing till 11. The part where you wake up with Luis in the canyon surrounded by the las plaga peeps, is one of my most memorable gaming events?... The memories...ah the memories...:allears:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 5, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
REmake is so drat good. The only thing I wish it had was some sort of Mr. X/Nemesis character that chases you around all game. I know there's that one thing, but eh.

edit: vv That would be the thing.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't actually played REmake but isn't that what Lisa does? I figured she had to be in the game at least as much as Mr. X was in 2.