Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I can't seem to connect to Twitter on Telus right now. Anyone else getting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Try a different DNS, such as 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 , and http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/twitter.com is always a good tool

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Acer Pilot posted:

I can't seem to connect to Twitter on Telus right now. Anyone else getting this?

Belkin router?

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/10/07/belkin-router-outage-belkin-routers-unable-to-connect-to-internet/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is this the right place to say "gently caress Rogers"? Because I went to check their packages to see if anything had changed, making me eligible for a better bandwidth cap or something, and they've changed all their packages to "Hybrid Fibre" - I can't really tell what's different from the packages they offered a few months to a year ago, besides the name, price increase and possibly a cap reduction?

Also, whoever thought overage charges in the realm of 1$-2$ per Gig are reasonable in any way should burn in the fiery pits of hell.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Is this the right place to say "gently caress Rogers"? Because I went to check their packages to see if anything had changed, making me eligible for a better bandwidth cap or something, and they've changed all their packages to "Hybrid Fibre" - I can't really tell what's different from the packages they offered a few months to a year ago, besides the name, price increase and possibly a cap reduction?

Also, whoever thought overage charges in the realm of 1$-2$ per Gig are reasonable in any way should burn in the fiery pits of hell.

Marketing. People are starting to think of 'fibre' as the future of internet, so playing up to this is going to be a thing from now on.

Also, if they can convince the CRTC that Hybrid Fibre is anew product, they can avoid the TPIA requirements for it, and then use it to close the door on independents.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It also refers to the hybrid fibre coax nodes they use. Basically it's fibre to your neighbourhood node, then coax cable to the demarc.

Right now the independents do have access to it. I have a 150/15 package from Teksavvy that uses an HFC node.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Telus Optik internet has served me so well for the past year, but then i move apartments and it starts looking like this.

When I moved, i also took the opportunity to cancel my TV service. By doing this, will I have relegated myself to some lovely ADSL service rather than the VDSL I had with Optik?

I haven't run this analysis before, but I don't have Optik TV and I've had good internet so far. :shrug:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

It also refers to the hybrid fibre coax nodes they use. Basically it's fibre to your neighbourhood node, then coax cable to the demarc.

Right now the independents do have access to it. I have a 150/15 package from Teksavvy that uses an HFC node.

Yes, and Hybrid Fibre-Coax has been around for decades, and I don't think there is anywhere in the Rogers plant where it isn't in use. This new usage of the term is 100% branding/marketing, nothing more.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
So because me and my family have the 3-product bundle with Rogers, coupled with threatening to cancel our service since a new contract would mean a much higher monthly cost, we were able to lock in 60mbps/unlimited bandwidth with free router rental for the same price, which amounts to just under $50/month over the next two years. Granted, I've had many run-ins with Rogers tech-support over the years because of the usual shoddy service, so since they've gotten an earful from us several times, including threatening to move to Bell, they've at least been lenient with trying to assuage me with rebates and such (especially after one lovely episode where it took 6 visits from 6 different techie drones until one fixed a very simple problem in hindsight).

That said, I took at look at the new "fibre-hybrid" packages, and how the hell is the cheapest internet option $51 for only 10mbps with 25Gb? I see they cut back on their previous promotion of offering unlimited bandwidth since now the price of the cheapest unlimited option is over $80/months...if it weren't for negotiating with Rogers just now our internet would be costing us $110! gently caress these guys; at least when the two years are up I'll just raise my voice again and threaten to cancel until they offer me another discount.

Would be nice if Google Fibre could come to Ontario before I retire.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Oxyclean posted:

The system they use to measure data use is always 24-48 hours behind, too.
I hope you don't like downloading on the ragged edge of the caps...

gently caress Rogers. There is always a price increase, and it is always worse.

Rogers delenda est. :argh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Nope. Telus said it was probably them but "they don't know why."

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I found out something interesting with Bell pricing in my area, not sure if it's true elsewhere. They get away with price increases as they are guaranteeing a certain discount and not the base price. They can raise the base price all they want. gently caress Bell.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

bigmandan posted:

I found out something interesting with Bell pricing in my area, not sure if it's true elsewhere. They get away with price increases as they are guaranteeing a certain discount and not the base price. They can raise the base price all they want. gently caress Bell.

Telus does that too. I assume Shaw does as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bigmandan posted:

This is how they're currently loving the third party providers as well.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

8ender posted:

This is how they're currently loving the third party providers as well.

Tell me about it. I work for a ISP/CLEC (in southern Ontario) and dealing with Bell's bullshit everyday is awful. Good thing we're laying our own fibre!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had Bell fibreop out here on the east coast for the last year, very fast, it was great. Occasional drops in connection but liveable. Then I heard Rogers now has "hybrid" fibre in my area, and got about the same package for $45 cheaper, at the cost of about 20mbps upload speed (50/10 instead of 50/30).

The install was a disaster, I asked and was quoted for 3 HD boxes and only got one, the tech called me and told me about this and told me to call sales and get the other two added to the order. I did, still left without installing those for the roommates. The state the coax was in was loving awful, hanging out everywhere. I was working insane hours until Thursday so never really got a chance to try anything out. Speedtest reports as-advertised speeds, but downloading anything is giving me flashbacks to dialup. I have 3 torrents going right now and their speeds don't add up to 80kbps, plus this page will probably hang and this wont post when I hit submit. I have to be getting throttled somehow, is there any way around this?

To go back to Fourth Reich Communi- I mean Bell, and get what we have will cost about double after the first 3 months. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet if I cant find a way around this because its just not adequate.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Had Bell fibreop out here on the east coast for the last year, very fast, it was great. Occasional drops in connection but liveable. Then I heard Rogers now has "hybrid" fibre in my area, and got about the same package for $45 cheaper, at the cost of about 20mbps upload speed (50/10 instead of 50/30).

The install was a disaster, I asked and was quoted for 3 HD boxes and only got one, the tech called me and told me about this and told me to call sales and get the other two added to the order. I did, still left without installing those for the roommates. The state the coax was in was loving awful, hanging out everywhere. I was working insane hours until Thursday so never really got a chance to try anything out. Speedtest reports as-advertised speeds, but downloading anything is giving me flashbacks to dialup. I have 3 torrents going right now and their speeds don't add up to 80kbps, plus this page will probably hang and this wont post when I hit submit. I have to be getting throttled somehow, is there any way around this?

To go back to Fourth Reich Communi- I mean Bell, and get what we have will cost about double after the first 3 months. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet if I cant find a way around this because its just not adequate.

Have you checked if teksavvy or some other similar reseller is in your area?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looks like we do, if I want to pay $50 a month for a 15mbps DSL sewage line, and still have to go somewhere else for TV.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there any rocket-stick style mobile internet that's not a ripoff in Vancouver? Where I'm living has internet provided as part of the rent, but the owner is own vacation for the next two weeks and he apparently hasn't paid it since it's been cancelled. I looked at the Shaw one, but the way it's worded implies that you have to have an existing shaw cable/internet to use it, which I don't want. The rogers one seems to be on a at least 2 year(!) contract basis. I'm looking for a cheapy pay as you go kind of thing. Ideally it'd just be a usb stick that I plug in and 'just works', no long term contract, reasonably price, downtown vancouver coverage. I need it mostly so I can RDP into work without things looking like a slideshow (which they currently do when I hotspot my phone).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
WIND has 1gb for $15/mo

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hmm, well they claim to sell it, but the 4 stores I called are saying it's 'out of stock'. When is it coming into stock, I ask? 'We're not sure'. What was it last in stock? 'Over a month ago.'

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shaw Cable posted:

Effective January 1, 2015, Shaw is increasing regular monthly rates on all Internet plans to support continued investment in building and supporting the Internet experience you need now and in the future.

Welp. :sigh:

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Cogeco is also raising their prices by $3 per month for all plans below their "Ultimate 60"

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Telus did the same starting with November billing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

bigmandan posted:

Cogeco is also raising their prices by $3 per month for all plans below their "Ultimate 60"

Gotta pay for that Portuguese cable bungle somehow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat, hadn't noticed my Telus had gone up $3 until it was pointed out.

I'm not on contract with them, can I get a lower rate by signing up for a 3 year stint or are they just doing that for new customers like with the free tv promo?

Edit: oh interesting, apparently as of June Telus lets you pay $15 (if out have 3 services) or $30 (1 or 2) for unlimited. So the Telus 50 on its own would be $83+30 = 113.. Hm time to just cancel the optik TV and go with that I think.

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 20, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't the majors (telus especially) inherit the vast majority of their original infrastructure from crown corporations? E.g. shouldn't they be paying us back?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't the majors (telus especially) inherit the vast majority of their original infrastructure from crown corporations? E.g. shouldn't they be paying us back?

That's the only reason why you've got resellers like teksavvy and the like.

It's also the reason why the Telcos are installing fibre since it doesn't have the same limitations/ownership issues.

And a side point, they didn't inherit the cabling - they are the same company(ies) as back then.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
They also seem to enjoy raising rates in unison because in Canada you can get away with that sort of flagrant oligopoly.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Shaw is doing the exact same thing. I'm hoping that they'll use some of that "infrastructure" (read: executive bonus) money to split the node I'm on. Cable companies consider 150+ customers on a node to be saturated. My node has over 800... Sad part of the situation is that Shaw's still faster than Telus 95% of the time or I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I guess what I'm saying is if these companies would use the money for what they SAY they're using it for, we'd be living in some sort of internet paradise, and I'd welcome a little re-nationalization of data and telephone infrastructure at this point. I mean how bad could a government-owned data infrastructure possibly be?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kly posted:

Telus did the same starting with November billing.

gently caress Telus, really. I am so glad I went to the Teksavvy 25/5 unlimited plan last year.

In news, Bell is getting on the streaming bandwagon.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-launches-cravetv-streaming-service-to-complement-cable-1.2858729

But... you need to subscribe to TV services to get it. :downsbravo:

quote:

It will not, however, be available to anyone with just a high-speed Internet connection, meaning it's not an obvious alternative to so-called cord cutters who have left cable behind in favour of online-based content services.

I haven't had cable/satellite for years but I would consider a good, high content on demand service with current TV shows to supplement Netflix. Doesn't look like I'll be doing that anytime soon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slidebite posted:

gently caress Telus, really. I am so glad I went to the Teksavvy 25/5 unlimited plan last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-launches-cravetv-streaming-service-to-complement-cable-1.2858729

I haven't had cable/satellite for years but I would consider a good, high content on demand service with current TV shows to supplement Netflix. Doesn't look like I'll be doing that anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAn-mdS-otE&t=53s
53 seconds in.

Pretty much explains the telcos' knowledge of streaming.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

slidebite posted:

What's worse is that bell/telus/shaw/rogers are all buying up Canadian rights to every show they can get their hands on, so chances are we'll all HAVE to get some sort of supplemental to Netflix service if we don't go the :filez: route to get newer stuff after cutting out cable TV, because it's not like they're going to let Netflix buy rights.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At least Netflix has the rights to the single most important made-in-Canada show: Trailer Park Boys. Water under the loving fridge.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

originalnickname posted:

What's worse is that bell/telus/shaw/rogers are all buying up Canadian rights to every show they can get their hands on, so chances are we'll all HAVE to get some sort of supplemental to Netflix service if we don't go the :filez: route to get newer stuff after cutting out cable TV, because it's not like they're going to let Netflix buy rights.

This doesn't mean that they'll be able to get exclusive rights. They will for some things, but probably not for most.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Switched to Beanfield. This is my results over Wifi. I'm happy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What hood do you live in? They don't seem to service my postal code but I wrote in and maybe something can be worked out like Jesus Christ using his second coming to lay fibre in my hood. Their service looks amazing.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Zigmidge posted:

What hood do you live in? They don't seem to service my postal code but I wrote in and maybe something can be worked out like Jesus Christ using his second coming to lay fibre in my hood. Their service looks amazing.

I'm in Liberty Village

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

slush posted:

Switched to Beanfield. This is my results over Wifi. I'm happy.

I kinda wished I lived in Toronto now, because goddamn those prices are insane (100mbps d/u for $45/m, 250mbps for $75) :stare:

500mbps for $200 seems a bit... odd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Migishu posted:

I kinda wished I lived in Toronto now, because goddamn those prices are insane (100mbps d/u for $45/m, 250mbps for $75) :stare:

500mbps for $200 seems a bit... odd...

You'd also have to live in a lovely condo that costs $375k+ to get those speeds.