Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pet cats are certainly a problem for local wildlife, especially small mammals and birds (and herptiles, I suppose). The main impact of pet cats on local ecosystems is probably that they're a source for feral cats, which are much more damaging. A well-fed, never-had-to-hunt, never-learned-to-hunt housecat is not going to kill nearly as many small birds as a feral cat that actually has skills and strong motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

One of the problems with well fed, never had to hunt to survive cats is they actually have the luxury of killing more. Feral cats kill what they need to survive and they're hungry and that contributes to more mistakes. Happy housecats can hunt as a sport, and have the luxury of a full belly - they may not take the same risks, have more time and can calculate better on a content tummy. They can be more damaging than you might think. They have all the time in the world to kill stuff. Ferals have to do it to survive.

Different mindset. Different results. One isn't necessarily better or worse than the other. You could argue that feral cats live shorter lives too with less care, so they may kill less over their lifetime than a really good killer pet cat. Maybe? :)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I love cats. I have one who never leaves the house. People around here don't understand why I am so opposed to the "spay/neuter and release" program they are trying to push on the county. Such a disaster for native wildlife. We have enough invasives in Florida as it is.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's really not a popular position--and for good reason, killing animals should never be approached lightly--but feral cats need to be put down, not sterilized and released.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
On a "holy poo poo this is amazing" note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvrAGHGJIpE

http://fox6now.com/2014/12/02/caught-on-camera-great-horned-owl-spotted-swimming-in-lake-michigan/ posted:

CHICAGO — A Chicago-area photographer and birder captured a most unusual sighting — an owl swimming (yes, swimming) in Lake Michigan.

Steve Spitzer was at Loyola Park Beach in Chicago’s Rogers Park neighborhood when he saw something in the lake. He met another birder who said it was an owl. The Great Horned Owl was apparently forced down into Lake Michigan by two Peregrine Falcons.

Spitzer captured video and photos of the owl, but he didn’t take any of the falcon attack. He and others at the beach were busy trying to scare the falcons away. Spitzer said bird rescue was called to the scene, but the owl flew away.

Yes, the owl lived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtR_i121M8

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Wow.

I love the look on its face in the second video, very "gently caress today. gently caress tomorrow. gently caress you. gently caress everything."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hahaha that's amazing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
If anyone's looking for binoculars, B&H has a killer one-day deal on Zeiss Conquest 10x40's ($550). This is almost half off of binoculars that are already a great value. If you're really new to birding, I'd probably recommend 8x binoculars (and there are certainly cheaper options out there), but this is such a good deal I don't think you'd regret it. I have these bins and can wholeheartedly recommend them.

I'll just post this link if you have general binocular buying questions.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That's great. I didn't get as clear a look at it, but I saw that happen with a Long-billed Curlew on Humboldt Bay. Two peregrines were ganging up on it, and its only way to escape was taking a swim.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Please help with an ID birding thread, I cannot find this in my Sibley guide but it's probably because I don't know where to look, and neither Merlin Bird ID nor Backyard Bird Finder helped.

I took a picture of it this morning around 9:30am at Three Forks Natural Area in Snoqualmie, WA. It looked like around the size of a finch or large sparrow. This was the only shot I got of it before it flew off.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 7, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Please help with an ID birding thread, I cannot find this in my Sibley guide but it's probably because I don't know where to look, and neither Merlin Bird ID nor Backyard Bird Finder helped.

I took a picture of it this morning around 9:30am at Three Forks Natural Area in Snoqualmie, WA. It looked like around the size of a finch or large sparrow. This was the only shot I got of it before it flew off.

Have a look at Brewer's / Rusty blackbird. Range is more Brewer's, but colouration is more female Rusty.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Not sure. Looks like Brewer's blackbird immature can have the light eye but juv/female type plumage. However, when looking for online images I noticed this photo that's a possible hybrid. The bird they mention was noticeably bigger than a brewer's, but with a smaller bill than great-tailed grackle.

Do you have any other photos?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The colors just don't seem right for either of those--it has the eyes of the Rusty blackbird but sort of the coloration of a very light Brewer's. I suppose Lek could be correct and it's a hybrid?

That was the only shot I got off before it took off, and it was 40-50 ft away.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

The colors just don't seem right for either of those--it has the eyes of the Rusty blackbird but sort of the coloration of a very light Brewer's. I suppose Lek could be correct and it's a hybrid?

That was the only shot I got off before it took off, and it was 40-50 ft away.

It's more the eye stripe that makes me think rusty, female brewers can sometimes have a pale eye.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

It's more the eye stripe that makes me think rusty, female brewers can sometimes have a pale eye.

Ok, probably just an extra-light female brewer's blackbird then.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Ok, probably just an extra-light female brewer's blackbird then.

Maybe ;)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
First Christmas Bird Count of the season yesterday. We had so many people that we actually split into 3 teams in our territory (which is already a subdivision of the overall circle). Kind of funny when things are subdivided in this way- not every group sees as much which leads to the feeling that it's not a good day, but when we tallied everything up our small area (approximately 1.5mile square) had 116 species! Best bird for us was a seasonally rare Western Tanager.

At least the weather was great- might not be so lucky for next weekend's count.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I'm doing a count next weekend here in the Florida panhandle. Weather should be OK and I'm doing a very under-birded area so I'm looking forward to it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hi I really like birds! I've thought about getting into birding casually, but I haven't yet. I think birds are really cool and I hike a lot and birds are one of my fav things about going on hikes, other than trees.

Recently I saw a really cool woodpecker in eastern/central Maryland, who had a reticulated look, like rings around the neck / upper body. It was white and brown as far as i could tell, it had the cool punk rock red mohawk thing, and there was a ring or two around the neck/upper body. What kind of woodpecker would this likely be? Is this enough info to ID that bird?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

alnilam posted:

Hi I really like birds! I've thought about getting into birding casually, but I haven't yet. I think birds are really cool and I hike a lot and birds are one of my fav things about going on hikes, other than trees.

Recently I saw a really cool woodpecker in eastern/central Maryland, who had a reticulated look, like rings around the neck / upper body. It was white and brown as far as i could tell, it had the cool punk rock red mohawk thing, and there was a ring or two around the neck/upper body. What kind of woodpecker would this likely be? Is this enough info to ID that bird?

Cool, I'm pretty much the same way. I've always loved the outdoors, and plants, trees, and wildlife. My partner is huge into birding and it's rubbed off on me. Birds are really cool, especially when you start paying attention to them. Was your woodpecker huge, dark, and tearing the poo poo out of a tree, with a massive red mohawk? If so, probably a pileated. By the sounds of it though it was more likely a red-bellied woodpecker. Could be a northern flicker, if it was more brown, had a spotty breast, and only a small red dot on the back of its head.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oh yeah, pretty sure it was the red-bellied one. Cool thanks :D

That's great video, but why did they scare the falcons away? I mean I love owls too, but I thought you were supposed to let nature take its course, do not come between the nazgul and its prey, etc.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's unlikey the owl was prey for the falcons, they were harrassing it. Sure, a falcon would eat a great horned if it got the chance, but most cases of a smaller bird attacking a larger bird in flight are mobbing or harrassing. It's get that fucker-away-from-my-home behaviour more than I'm-gonna-eat-you behaviour.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For the woodpeckers, Downy or Hairy woodpeckers have a fairly blocky black and white look, while Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is doesn't have quite the clean pattern but fits the description of a reticulated back and striping on the head/neck.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Actually I think it may have been the yellow-bellied sapsucker, now that I look at one. I didn't get super close, but the pattern around the head looks more in line with what I remember.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
do any of you ever harness your birds and go jogging/biking while the bird flies along, or rides on your shoulder?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

froward posted:

do any of you ever harness your birds and go jogging/biking while the bird flies along, or rides on your shoulder?
Wrong thread, ask in bird crazies.

I take one of my parrots out to local parks, though, during the summer. Her wings are clipped.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

froward posted:

No, but my friend once found a juvenile crow hiding under a car beset by several cats on the way back from the pub. He picked it up and carried out away to safety. When he let go of it, it hopped onto his shoulder and rode there until he got back to his flat, where he had to take it down and put it by a tree.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Linedance posted:

No, but my friend once found a juvenile crow hiding under a car beset by several cats on the way back from the pub. He picked it up and carried out away to safety. When he let go of it, it hopped onto his shoulder and rode there until he got back to his flat, where he had to take it down and put it by a tree.

:kimchi:

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

hi, i have two love birds. they don't really have a name but they keep great company. i wish i could bond more with these little cute birds... any advice, doesn't have to be hands-on holding. just you know hanging out with these cute birds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mapparu posted:

hi, i have two love birds. they don't really have a name but they keep great company. i wish i could bond more with these little cute birds... any advice, doesn't have to be hands-on holding. just you know hanging out with these cute birds.
Again, wrong thread.

Please go to Bird Crazies as that is where parrot owners post.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not that it shouldn't be clear from the OP what this thread is all about, but maybe an update to more clearly state what this thread is NOT about, now that we're in PI.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I updated the title, hopefully that'll help. Sorry!

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

apologies as i am new to pet island

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

it's cool man :buddy:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No worries- we are the weirdos here!

(not only here)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

No worries- we are the weirdos here!

(not just here)
Speak for yourself, I'm a birding wierdo AND a bird crazy wierdo.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hi is this the barding thread

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

can i just say i saw seagull today holding a zliplock with a bag of brea in it and he was just walking around, stopping every second to eat some bread and keep walking...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

seriously tho birds rule, and i want to learn how to look at them better

should i go on a birding walk with the local audobon society or ? i should look into that. any birders here in western PA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

alnilam posted:

should i go on a birding walk with the local audobon society or ? i should look into that. any birders here in western PA?
Yes, you should do that. Going on a birding walk with the Seattle Audubon Society was a ton of fun for me even though I usually go out and do my birding photos alone.