Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Guacamelee! is a game developed by Drinkbox Studios. Released in April 2013 for the PS3 and PS Vita, it eventually saw a port on Windows in August later that year. It got very favorable reviews, even a couple of awards. The game was fun, fast paced, controled well, and generally anybody's complaint about the game itself was that it was too short. The game, if you didn't try to 100% it, only took about 3 hours to beat, but considering it's a Metroid-style game where you get upgrades hidden in nooks and crannies, it makes sense, since Metroid games are typically pretty short anyway.

I won't be playing that version. Instead, I'll be playing the most recent version of the game, Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, released in July 2014 for pretty much any system that didn't have the original Guacamalee!. Not only does it have all the DLC that was released for Guacamelee!, but it also includes entirely new areas, enemies, and even an extra boss. It bumps up the game's length from about 3 hours to about 5 hours, so it's still pretty short, but not TOO short.

I love this game, but it DOES have some issues, but none of them are really gameplay related. The background in some areas has a lot of memes and referential humor that I don't really like, and the game, despite being a bit longer, is still too short. Still though, it's a very, very good game that I have platinumed twice.

Also please post cool Lucho matches, thanks.

Episode 1: Let's Beat Up Some Nerds ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted
Episode 2: Welcome to Memetown ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted
Episode 3: Crab Segregation ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted
Episode 4: Uppercut to the crotch is a DQ ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted
Episode 5: You might be Tim Taylor. ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted (Coming soon)
Episode 6: Is there any gay Devil fiction? ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted (Coming soon)
Episode 7: Wrassletalk ... Youtube ... Polsy
Episode 8: Skulls ... Youtube ... Polsy
Episode 9: This is the most convoluted KFC I've ever seen ... Youtube ... Polsy
Episode 10: Skippy Granola ... Youtube ... Polsy
Episode 11: El Fin ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus: Rise Chicken, Arise ... Youtube ... Polsy

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Characters of Interest

Juan is an agave farmer, but when his not-quite-girlfriend is kidnapped by an evil undead charreda, he rushes to rescue her... and promptly gets killed within seconds. He then puts on a mysterious luchador mask and becomes a hero to the people, beating up nerds with skeletons like Kevin Sorbo.

I'm just putting Fray Ayayay here because I think his name is funny. He's not really that important, to be honest. He does have a unique character model though!

This is El Presidente's Daughter. No, she doesn't really get a name. She's Juan's subject of affections, so when she's kidnapped by a hella rude skeleton man, he tries to save her. Her current status is, and always will be, damsel in distress.

Carlos Calaca has kidnapped El Presidente's Daughter. Are you a bad enough dude to beat up this skeleton? Well, considering he killed you without even trying, probably not, no. What's even his deal, anyway?

Tostada has the amazing importance of being the co-op player's avatar. She appears for some cutscenes but because I'm playing alone, don't get used to seeing her. What's even her deal, anyway?

Jaguar Javier is a jaguar man, trained by Uay Chivo. He's now Calaca's right-hand man furry cat. He's so tough he can destroy a bridge. How can we even compare to that?

Uay Chivo is the source of the worst jokes in this game, and also all our special moves. Apparently he used to be a big deal. Obsessed with goats.

X'Tabay has a weird name I can't pronouce. She's also some sort of weather demigod and Calaca's girlfriend. Current status: Haha double entendres.

The Alebrije is a big demon cat or something. Current status: Bowser'd.

Let's Lucha!

Lucha Underground

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So one massive melee game at a time just wasn't enough for you?

And for the record, I 100%'ed the regular edition of this game, at least enough to get the good ending and finish most of the challenges.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Absolutely loved the regular edition of this game. One of the few I've ever 100%'ed. The combat is just so extremely satisfying and it seems like they improved it even further in this edition. Lookin forward to seein the new stuff. Also, I don't think most of the stuff in the game is memes, but are rather just references. I think they removed most of the actual memes from this edition, or so I've heard anyways. Curious to see how much its changed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Whatever happens when you say you DON'T want to learn about Jaguar Javier?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Samovar posted:

Whatever happens when you say you DON'T want to learn about Jaguar Javier?

He just skips all the dialouge up until the end is upon us bit, then it continues as usual.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I loved the regular version of this game, but couldn't be bothered to get any DLC, looking forward to the new areas.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I loved the regular version of this game, but couldn't be bothered to get any DLC, looking forward to the new areas.

Honestly you're not missing out on much in the original game without the DLC. STCE is worth it for the extra areas and boss though.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I have no idea what the hell happened to the previous LP of this game, a weird thing happened involving an interview, then there was a huge hiatus, then sombody else was playing it for some reason, then updates stopped then *splat*.

For what its worth I'll be eager to see your take on this game.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
You know what is more annoying then aged internet memes and pop culture references? Pointing out every meme and reference and then spending ten minutes bitching about each and every one.

Most of the time I wouldn't even have noticed the meme without you telling me about them. Just ignore the drat things if they bother you that much.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Oh this lp is gonna be delicious if you do that certain side area with that one chicken and a ton of rooms

Also, are you gonna show off any of the workshop costumes?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

rbakervv posted:

pop culture references

I would like to draw Ape's attention to this phrase. Yes, you can reference something without it being a meme.

The references/memes in this game don't bother me even a little bit, so I'm looking forward to actually getting to see the ending (with the new content as a bonus). I have the Gold edition from a Humble Bundle or something, but :effort:.

Tombot posted:

I have no idea what the hell happened to the previous LP of this game, a weird thing happened involving an interview, then there was a huge hiatus, then sombody else was playing it for some reason, then updates stopped then *splat*.

Bacter and Mzbundifund were having some issues with their other LP, but that one did seem to just vanish somewhere around the end of the game (presumably). Good thing we have a replacement!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

rbakervv posted:

You know what is more annoying then aged internet memes and pop culture references? Pointing out every meme and reference and then spending ten minutes bitching about each and every one.

Most of the time I wouldn't even have noticed the meme without you telling me about them. Just ignore the drat things if they bother you that much.

We've already got the second episode recorded and we do it there too, but I'll be sure we regin it in for the rest of the LP.

Nalesh posted:

Also, are you gonna show off any of the workshop costumes?

Yup. Probably all of them, eventually.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
With all the skeletons in this game, who better to start the wresting videos then La Parka.
How to La Parka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcUrzHUYrYA

One of his wcw matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKw2wwJ3QXI

And here is his match in "AAA" as "La Park" fighting the guy who stole his name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chR0aafcjCY

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Small update but the hosted version of the video is up.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

kalonZombie posted:

Small update but the hosted version of the video is up.

You've got a broken bit of code for the link to the hosted version.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

rbakervv posted:

Ok I would like to just go ahead and apologize for the next update then. I'll tone it down from now on.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Wrestling as an undead luchador.... You might as well say that this is Lucha Underground!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

In this update we keep complaining about the references and memes, but after this I promise we'll shut up about them entirely. You know our opinion on them by now.

Episode 2: Welcome to Memetown ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted

I've also updated the second post to include the characters we've met so far and a section for Lucha fights. Post some more of those!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You forgot to unprivate it :v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Nalesh posted:

You forgot to unprivate it :v:

I totally didn't. Youtube is just butts sometimes when it comes to that stuff. Give it another few minutes for it to register the fact that it's public now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
ALEBRIJE, not Alejibre. Second LP that screws that up, thank you very much.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-nevermind=-

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really like the look of this game.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 20, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shame you didn't start this up on the Day of the Dead - it would have been thematic and easier for me to find pictures of the celebrations here in Austin to go along with everything. I was working on an effort post for the other LP that discussed, among other things, Liberation Theology, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and Santa Muerte.

Folk Catholicism is a hell of a thing, man. I'll have to resume working on that.

*Edit*

Took out a bit that, on a second glance, might count as boss spoilers.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 20, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still want to see you do a tabletop lp someday, you sound like the best(horrible bastard) gm. Gotta steal that mimic idea myself.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I still want to see you do a tabletop lp someday, you sound like the best(horrible bastard) gm. Gotta steal that mimic idea myself.

I had a Pathfinder Let's Play going on a few years ago. The LP died though, and the game was abandoned not too long after that second arc was finished. If I ever get enough suckers and free time I might consider something.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

kalonZombie posted:

I had a Pathfinder Let's Play going on a few years ago. The LP died though, and the game was abandoned not too long after that second arc was finished. If I ever get enough suckers and free time I might consider something.
Having recently discovered the shenanigans you can get into with Pathfinder (I have declared Agni Goat on far to many enemies and succeeded), I'd love to join up.

Perhaps with a half-orc monk who wears a mask and specializes in grappling.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Woah now, I missed a week due to real life happening, but we're back to beating up skeletons and talking about m- oh right, I said we would stop that, and we did.

Episode 3: Crab Segregation ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted (Coming soon)

Shei-kun posted:

Having recently discovered the shenanigans you can get into with Pathfinder (I have declared Agni Goat on far to many enemies and succeeded), I'd love to join up.

Perhaps with a half-orc monk who wears a mask and specializes in grappling.

I hate Pathfinder and most d20 systems with a passion these days, to be honest. If I were to do anything, it would likely be a Dungeon World game with a group I already know, but I have no plans to sit behind the screen anytime soon. I prefer being the player these days, but that always changes every couple of months.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

When a luchador dressed as a chicken walks up to you, I don't think you need to ask, "Is this some kind of joke?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

i don't think you guys even got memes correctly in the first place either

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

kalonZombie posted:

I hate Pathfinder and most d20 systems with a passion these days, to be honest. If I were to do anything, it would likely be a Dungeon World game with a group I already know, but I have no plans to sit behind the screen anytime soon. I prefer being the player these days, but that always changes every couple of months.
Honestly? I'm good with any system that lets me have enough freedom to have some fun with the character and go with a Concept Character instead of having to shoehorn them into a game's build. Beyond that, I don't really have any requirements for a game system besides having it function (as with all systems, some duct tape will be required).

As for GMing versus playing, I feel you there. I've been told I'm actually a decent GM, but I just feel stressed when I try to be one and enjoy being a player much more. Mostly because I love having mastermind antagonists and I am HORRIBLE at using them properly without metagaming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That area looks really neat. Good music too.
Anyway, I *think* the goalie costume makes you throw further but punch weaker.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I absolutely have to concur with Heave. You cannot find hats for big heads. Given that I'm also short on hair... That kinda sucks. :v:

anilEhilated posted:

That area looks really neat. Good music too.
Anyway, I *think* the goalie costume makes you throw further but punch weaker.

That is indeed what it does. After all, the viewers can pause their videos to check.

Also, the canal music makes me think of RUN! from Final Fantasy IX.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This really feels like something they wanted to put in the original game but didn't have the time. Good on them.

Also can you at least once just go "INTENSOOOOOOOOOOO" and try to hold it through the entire length of an Intenso?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

New week, new episode. Hooray! In it we have flashbacks, chickens, and fat skellingtons.

Episode 4: Uppercut to the crotch is a DQ ... Youtube ... Polsy ... Hosted

Also, the hosted version of episode 3 is up, finally. The OP has been updated.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I had no idea Nito had a second job as a one-man band. See? I can make references just as inane as this game!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Pretty sure that fish tank containing the oversized fish in the room with the hanging Cheep Cheep was a reference to the Marine Research Lab from Majora's Mask.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Aw, my favourite insult got totally ignored :C

"Why don't you try it off a short pier, ya jerk."

Also kalon has the memory of a sodding goldfish :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Also kalon has the memory of a sodding goldfish :v:

I swear I can remember what I ate for breakfast like a month ago but I can't remember literally the first 10 seconds of a video I had just edited. It's why I typically pre-watch things before doing commentary.

• Locked thread