Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
*takes sip*

IT'S WATER!

SOMEBODY GIVE ME THE ANTIDOTE!

Zombie Game was awesome.

Bonus Sangmin points: immediately picking out who the two zombies were before the game even started.

Random Stranger posted:

If they continue to use black garnets (they might come up with another metagaming gimmick, after all), then they should continue to let people use them as game currency, just like the regular garnets.

Speaking of which, there hasn't been a lot of "pay some garnets for an advantage" this season. There was that big one in the stock market, of course, but I can't think of any others...

In general, this season seems "off". Ignoring the obvious lack of Extreme Ways, there also seems to be a lot less "2 hours later" moments as well.

The editing seems to be more linear this time around as well; there seem to be less surprising moments. One of the best aspects of the first couple seasons was that the episodes were less predictable. You would be lead in one direction for the first 45 minutes only for some blindside to happen. Then you see all the scheming that took place behind the scenes to get there. Contrast that to something like Survivor where the episodes are so formulaic that you almost know with certainty who's getting voted out within the first 10 minutes of the episode.

I'm not sure if that's due to a new editing staff handling the show, or because they seem to have casted fewer "schemers" than previous seasons.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

When Doohee is informed that his token of immortality is a fake and Sangmin just loving loses it laughing is up there with my favorite moments for the entire series. It's a shame about all the other bullshit that happens to Doohee that episode, because quadruple-crossing the guy who triple-crossed you about double-crossing his ally is like the most Genius thing ever, and it gets overshadowed.

MisterZimbu posted:

In general, this season seems "off"...
I'm not sure if that's due to a new editing staff handling the show, or because they seem to have casted fewer "schemers" than previous seasons.
I agree. I'm still enjoying it but it seems much more straightforward and the games have been less memorable. I chalk it up in part to all the backlash against season 2 players; everyone except Dongmin this season (oh and Kyunghoon I guess) seems paralytically afraid of crossing anyone.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 3, 2014

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Personally I don't like the flash forwards at all and always skip them. This season does feel a lot tamer though, yeah.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Personally I still think Sangmin's most impressive play was during the village game in S1. It should have been an unrecoverable failure when he thought Sunggyu was lying about being the thief and sent him to the big village.

That he was able to turn that game around so totally - not just surviving himself, but flipping the villages completely - was incredible. It took some bad play by Gura's alliance for certain, but at least part of that was because of his manipulating them.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This might still be my favorite Sangmin moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJuVlRn89bw

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Maduo posted:

This might still be my favorite Sangmin moment:

Actually makes me miss goofy Hongchul too. :sigh:

Each of the seasons has definitely had a different atmosphere, and I've liked that, but I also hope we have some more conniving players/difficult games during the remainder of this season/next season. All the crazy triple-crosses have been replaced with alliance building instead, which is tricky in its own way, but stuff like the Zombie Game was goddamn nuts compared to stuff like the Constellation-building game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I just want something as good as Jinho breaking Open/Pass again. Is that too much to ask for?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm actually rewatching the Zombie game episode and really enjoying things in hindsight. Kyungran giving Sangmin the evil eye when he says untrustworthy things! Sangmin pretending to not know anything about Yutnori! Sangmin being dismissed (hiding himself?) in the early episodes as "just one of Gura's men". Goddamn the first season was fun.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm actually rewatching the Zombie game episode and really enjoying things in hindsight. Kyungran giving Sangmin the evil eye when he says untrustworthy things! Sangmin pretending to not know anything about Yutnori! Sangmin being dismissed (hiding himself?) in the early episodes as "just one of Gura's men". Goddamn the first season was fun.

Sangmin always hides himself in the early parts of the season. He didn't stick out in Season 2's beginning either and then slowly convinces his army of broadcasters to destroy Jinho. And then he just lets Yohwan destroy himself while Super Saiyan dancing and living in a van by the river. Sangmin is the best.

Edit: Also we are neglecting to mention one of the less talked about couples on the Genius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMS-Gvtn7Q

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 4, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Mentality King makes a Middle Race comeback, even if it was a shared victory, woohoo. Go Mentality King. What was the song that was playing while they were saying goodbye to Yoohyun?

Also

Next ep

Mutha

friggin

:master: SANGMIN :master:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The loving van.

Sangmin and Sunggyu :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMITZDLCzts

Sangmin's 5:5 game performance was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYUCrOg4Fk

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
My favourite Sangmin moment from S2 (and possibly my favourite editing bit in the series) was during that game I can't remember the name of where they had dice that could be broken apart and reconstructed to form better dice where they spent most of the episode building up to the late reveal that the dice could be broken apart and reconstructed and it was a huge game-changing revelation that occurred pretty late on and now it was a rush to see who could capitalise on it.

and then it rewinds to sangmin having figured it out half an hour ago and losing his poo poo over having solved the game with perfect dice so fast. That was loving awesome. That is both a great highlight of Sangmin always being a step ahead and also hella great editing to make it all the sweeter to watch.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Tonfa posted:

What did the card say again?

Also, Sangmin's other dancing while angry bit was awesome too, where he just does this move for no reason (complete coincidence that the only gif I could find was korean). Anyone remember what ep it was from?

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

Factor Mystic posted:

Mentality King makes a Middle Race comeback, even if it was a shared victory, woohoo. Go Mentality King. What was the song that was playing while they were saying goodbye to Yoohyun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogt89N3CgA

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tonfa posted:

5:5 was a sweet game and I'm rewatching it right now.

I just got to the part where that one lady admitted to giving the date of registration of birth when asked for her birthday.

i still cannot believe that is something that someone actually did

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
common mistake really

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

sharktamer posted:

What did the card say again?

Also, Sangmin's other dancing while angry bit was awesome too, where he just does this move for no reason (complete coincidence that the only gif I could find was korean). Anyone remember what ep it was from?

This one?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
No, someone already linked that one. There was a time where a game wasn't going his way or someone was misunderstanding him, so he cries out and breakdances, like a normal person would.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

sharktamer posted:

No, someone already linked that one. There was a time where a game wasn't going his way or someone was misunderstanding him, so he cries out and breakdances, like a normal person would.

Do you mean the game where he created a subtle method of communication with some of the other players? His subtle dancing signals.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

sharktamer posted:

I love that Sangmin dances so often that he could use dancing as a way to pass messages without seeming suspicious.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dragonatrix posted:

5:5 was a sweet game and I'm rewatching it right now.

I just got to the part where that one lady admitted to giving the date of registration of birth when asked for her birthday.

i still cannot believe that is something that someone actually did

5:5 is a cool game. I wouldn't be surprised if they told the guests to be intentionally difficult with some of those subjects (especially birthdays because you could probably create 8 5:5 questions just from full birthdays alone) but it still feels like Kyungran got screwed over there. She did the most legwork and all of her questions were based off of solid info. It would have been much more interesting to just keep asking tie breaker questions until someone missed something.

Also, in the Sangmin clip, they asked for clarification on one of his questions. He changed it to another word that made the question really stilted, but it turned out the producers just couldn't read his handwriting. That's why Dealer Nuna laughed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Soylentbits posted:

I love that Sangmin dances so often that he could use dancing as a way to pass messages without seeming suspicious.

Yeah that was pretty much the best thing ever.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I just went back and watched the first season, and really enjoyed Kyungran's performance. None of the women in the third season have seemed to be making much of an effort to win. I haven't got around to the second yet.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sweet thanks. Also I can't believe I forgot in my last post, but oh man Sound of Silence got a huge laugh from me, I was dying.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

sharktamer posted:

That was S2E2, the Seat Exchange game, where he does that move in the middle of the ring of chairs. One of my favorite episodes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Do we know if the show aired this week?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Looking at the official website it seems like they aired it.

Don't look at the official website if you don't want to risk get spoiled about who was eliminated!

I think I already know who it was. :sigh:

Szara
Sep 9, 2011

by Lowtax
^Your comment made me all apprehensive, so I looked up some spoilers on another site and that person didn't get eliminated. I think this is going to be the most tense episode of the season so far.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just caught up. That last episode was incredible.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

Looking at the official website it seems like they aired it.

Don't look at the official website if you don't want to risk get spoiled about who was eliminated!

I think I already know who it was. :sigh:

Your sacrifice is appreciated.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Holy crap, I can't believe Yeonjoo fell for that bluff :wtc:
That was pretty tense.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
If it's not obvious the above is a spoiler for the new episode that is up

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Holy crap, I can't believe Yeonjoo fell for that bluff :wtc:
That was pretty tense.

Indeed. I'm stunned.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, as glad as I am for how it went, Dongmin really screwed up repeatedly this episode and he did not deserve that win. That Yeonjoo was so close to calling it but... didn't was ridiculous.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
that was clutch as gently caress holy poo poo

Sitting there thinking "please call impossible please call impossible". But it just wasn't to be for poor Yeonjoo.

Highlights the great never say die attitude of dongmin, because most players would've put the bend down and just conceded track completion but he kept the game going on the hopes that his opponent might screw up and it totally bailed him out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That main match was really good. So much stuff going on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: Jinho being a total non-entity for the entire main game and then pulling the win out of his rear end was so great :lol:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

:lol: Jinho being a total non-entity for the entire main game and then pulling the win out of his rear end was so great :lol:

I think Hyunmin actually gave up the win when asking if the calculations followed order of operations. Jinho, like Dongmin, was assuming it just went left to right.

What was also funny was that Jinho clearly didn't want to work with Sangmin for the simple reason that he wanted the whole prize himself.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
When Yeonjoo realized that she lost because she didn't believe in herself, there could have been a flashback to Dongmin in a previous episode saying "the Genius is life" but maybe that would have been too mean. I thought it was really cool that she learned a life lesson though. Makes me wonder how I would do if I played the Genius

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Holy crap at that ending. Feel bad for Yeonjoo, Dongmin got his rear end pulled out of the fire that episode.

The order of operations thing also should seemingly have been brought up initially in the rules. I guess that is usually how it should go, but you'd think they would mention it anyway for their numerical games like this. That way everyone is playing with a clear goal in mind, and not bombing out later on for misunderstanding.