Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm gonna just start declaring that people who don't like Ctrl-Alt-Delete have no soul, see if it catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Remember kids, if you don't like bad Grant Morrison comics, you have no soul. Your immortal self that transcends the physical does not exist if you're not moved by hackneyed maudlin crap that trips all over itself in an attempt to seem creative and meaningful.

He never said that people that do like them have a soul.

Maybe Senor Candle is the only person in the world with a soul and he was just curious.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Majuju posted:

In fairness I think the only thing that I find dumb about it (and, unfortunately, so dumb that it completely ruins the whole sequence for me) is that everyone on Earth has to start running around for it to work. Like, lazy people, or the disabled, or nihilists, or any number of villains are going to not comply with that, for any number of reasons, and it just feels so goofy and could easily have been written around. It's a neat idea that the Flash can somehow outrun instantaneous teleportation by tapping into the SPEED FORCE, but the Peter Pan thing poisons the well to me.

There actually was a panel on a page I didn't post showing prison guards forcing some of the Rogues (or at least Rainbow Raider and some other guys) to run. Otherwise, it's because of speed force or the power of friendship or whatever. It's a very dumb idea and doesn't have enough justification in the story. I personally like the execution despite that, but I can see why others might not.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Also he does say "five billion" so there's roughly a billion people not participating, going by world population estimates of the time.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna just start declaring that people who don't like Ctrl-Alt-Delete have no soul, see if it catches on.

EDIT: Yeah you're right.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 4, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Wapole Languray posted:

The fastest any Speedster can go is the speed of light, because once you break lightspeed a Speedster will enter the Speedforce and either go to Flashhalla, or time travel. :flashfact:

Silver Age Barry had no time for that poo poo. (Flash v1 #196, 200)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Please keep this poo poo in the PYF threads, thanks

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Wouldn't this cause the president to explode into flame from the friction of moving so fast or can the Flash negate all that stuff with SpeedForce?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Minarchist posted:

can the Flash negate all that stuff with SpeedForce?

This is the answer to pretty much any question about the Flash's powers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

delfin posted:

Silver Age Barry had no time for that poo poo. (Flash v1 #196, 200)

Of course the new problem is that he's snapped the president's neck.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

Of course the new problem is that he's snapped the president's neck.

And turned his brain into a puree by bouncing it off the sides of his skull at crazy speeds.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kingdom Come Flash, so fast he's everywhere at once.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Does the Flash just move really fast, or does he basically just shorten his own local time relative to the rest of the world? I don't know if that makes any sense, but what I am trying to ask is can he take extremely fast naps?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Varies on the writer. Sometimes he thinks and lives at the speed he moves, sometimes he can be tricked into running into a sword.

As a kid I was way big into my genius comic book idea of a super speed hero who had to deal with living at the speed he was moving at, and didn't gain infinite stamina bundled with super speed. He had control over his powers, but running across America would actually feel like running across America for him even if it did take only like 5 minutes. Because of this, the more time he spent moving at super speed the older he was relative to the world.

Then I heard some kid in some Marvel comic was totally written with this gimmick and I got super bitter and never saw how they handled it.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 4, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ashcans posted:

Does the Flash just move really fast, or does he basically just shorten his own local time relative to the rest of the world? I don't know if that makes any sense, but what I am trying to ask is can he take extremely fast naps?

He can run across water, so I'd go with "move really fast", since the time-shortening thing wouldn't allow that. (At least, it didn't allow it in some Marvel comic. The one with the redheaded messiah, maybe?)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Ashcans posted:

There have been a few speedsters who had interesting relationships with time.

Marvel had the original Thunderbolt, an early Luke Cage acquaintance who had super speed with a side effect of rapid aging; he eventually ran himself to the edge of death while avenging his brother's murder. Lightning of the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. agents had a similar effect with his super-suit. "One second for him seems like two minutes for the rest of the world," but he aged every time he used it.

More directly, the second Zoom had time-manipulation powers rather than true super-speed; he was detached from the normal timeline and could accelerate himself to where he made Wally West seem slow.

And then there is the famous explanation by Quicksilver as to why he's such an rear end in a top hat.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

There you go, 12 year old me was a forward thinking fucker.

I remember being confused why Zoom 2 could run around the world nonstop if his only power was time manipulation, though.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Chinaman7000 posted:

I remember being confused why Zoom 2 could run around the world nonstop if his only power was time manipulation, though.

Time and space are the same thing! :science:

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Chinaman7000 posted:

The water Zoom steps on can only move away from his feet at a finite acceleration, and he's only on any given chunk of water for an extremely short period of time. That still means that he's applying the full force of his body weight every step so he should leave a pretty huge wake. Really anything, including the air in front of him should feel like a brick wall to him if he goes fast enough, and doesn't also effect it with his powers but relative to us it's taking some pretty incredible impulse forces.

On the other hand if the Flash runs across water he's effectively dividing the downward force of his weight in between every step he takes and could be supported by the water tension. Other than accelerating or slowing down he probably wouldn't have much wake at all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chinaman7000 posted:

There was also, more recently, the one speedster mutant that manifested during no more mutants. Time was relative for him so if he ran 200 miles it would only take a few seconds for the rest of the world but but his body would age the length of time it would take s normal human to run that distance. Repede maybe? His name was Spanish for speed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speed in the recent Young Avengers worked for a company that paid him to construct things super quick. He mentions that while it was a split second to outside observers he just spent multiple subjective weeks working on the project.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was also, more recently, the one speedster mutant that manifested during no more mutants. Time was relative for him so if he ran 200 miles it would only take a few seconds for the rest of the world but but his body would age the length of time it would take s normal human to run that distance. Repede maybe? His name was Spanish for speed.

Velocidad?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Velocidad can't run across water at all, and appears to have the body of a 24 year old at age 15. Not the coolest power in the world. :(

Also his name keeps making me think of this:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lurdiak posted:

Velocidad can't run across water at all, and appears to have the body of a 24 year old at age 15. Not the coolest power in the world. :(

Same.

Although I always was a fan of Chaptor:

Technically not a real comic book character, but undeniably pretty badass.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

His name is also proof that unless you speak or asked a spanish speaking person, don't name your superhero a word in a language you don't understand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Dr Dinosaur Sr?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

His name is also proof that unless you speak or asked a spanish speaking person, don't name your superhero a word in a language you don't understand.

Marvel doesn't even have, like, one guy who can proofread their spanish, french, or any other foreign language. Walking a block to a NY university and giving 10 bucks to a linguistics student is just too much work. Just stick that poo poo into google translate!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel doesn't even have, like, one guy who can proofread their spanish, french, or any other foreign language. Walking a block to a NY university and giving 10 bucks to a linguistics student is just too much work. Just stick that poo poo into google translate!

Marvel cant afford a cork board with the names of dead characters push-pined to it, not if the want to keep the one bathroom open.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SirDan3k posted:

Marvel cant afford a cork board with the names of dead characters push-pined to it, not if the want to keep the one bathroom open.

They can't afford a cork board with "Uncle Ben" push-pinned into it? :ohdear:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jerusalem posted:

Someone bought a couple boxes of Uncle Ben's, and just sent a bunch out to everyone to tape on their walls. Was slightly cheaper.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

And turned his brain into a puree by bouncing it off the sides of his skull at crazy speeds.

Maybe it was Reagan?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anora posted:

Someone bought a couple boxes of Uncle Ben's, and just sent a bunch out to everyone to tape on their walls. Was slightly cheaper.

Unfortunately this means that a few marvel writers think that there is a character called "long grain rice man" that they are forbidden to ressurect.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SiKboy posted:

Unfortunately this means that a few marvel writers think that there is a character called "long grain rice man" that they are forbidden to ressurect.

Well, of course the black guy doesn't get un-killed first.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Do you think Perlmutter's made of money? My god, if they have the Uncle Ben board, he might have to buy 19 pounds of caviar instead of 20 next time the rest of the Disney executives come over!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The pig is actually a pirate.

Bandette #8

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Colleen Coover is good at drawings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gaz-L posted:

Colleen Coover is good at drawings.

Not if you have to use sound effects that literally express what the character is doing.
And it's weird because if you removed the sound effects the art is still dynamic enough to convey what the character is doing.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Not if you have to use sound effects that literally express what the character is doing.
And it's weird because if you removed the sound effects the art is still dynamic enough to convey what the character is doing.

Your second sentence shows that your first doesn't apply here, though; it's not a question of have to in order to prop up the art. It's obviously done as a conscious choice, not because it's necessary to express what's happening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

That's clearly a stylistic decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Let's talk about other sound effects: