Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

Pels sign Dante Cunningham. Supposed to be available for tonight's game. This team seriously lacks depth. He is probably the sixth best active player on the roster.

Dante is a pretty good rotation guy but he had some domestic abuse problems and REALLY looked like a shithead when he sent threatening texts AFTER being arrested.

So basically, try not to like him if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Dante is a pretty good rotation guy but he had some domestic abuse problems and REALLY looked like a shithead when he sent threatening texts AFTER being arrested.

So basically, try not to like him if you can.

Those charges have been dropped and proven(?) to be sent by the accuser in an effort to frame him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
McRoberts has also been injured for most of the season so far, so who knows.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Guess I might as well post a link: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=11750556&src=desktop

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

Those charges have been dropped and proven(?) to be sent by the accuser in an effort to frame him.

Oh really? drat, I had no idea. Well, then enjoy Dante.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really really want to see the Bucks in the playoffs this year

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Oh really? drat, I had no idea. Well, then enjoy Dante.

He might very well still be a shithead, just most likely not from that particular incident. I fully understand that anyone on my favorite team could very well be a bad person, despite their outward appearances or ability to play this loving awesome sport at a high level.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WYA posted:

All dat length combined with Jason Kidd playoff coaching could make for some spectacular games. Whether that means fun or a disaster, I'm not sure.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WYA posted:

I will laugh if the first team Toronto manages to knock off aside from the NYK is fuckin' Milwaukee.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WYA posted:

They're 6th right now. They're going to make it, barring injury. Hopefully they'll play the Cavs and knock them out in the first round. Then they beat the Raptors, then the Bulls, and then the Warriors. Championship. Larry Sanders, Giannis, Oj Mayo, friendship basketball reigns in the celestial city.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
We need to talk about Joey Dorsey and how he dunked all over the Grizzlies last night

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 4, 2014

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Seth Partnow used sportVU data to come up with an expected EFG%. It's a cool list, and when you filter out role/scheme changes, its a great flag saying SOMETHING IS HAPPENING.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/12/04/shot-selection-and-shot-making-a-quick-intro-to-xefg/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

quote:

Last week, I noted the detailed shot location and defense data available from SportVU via NBA.com allows for an estimate of “Expected” shooting percentages based on shot locations and strength of defensive contests. Along those lines, I derived XeFG for individual players as well as for team offense and defense. Through games of Tuesday, December 2:

One possible trend which is immediately visible is the degree to which players from last year’s Heat team are being forced into tougher mixes of shots — among the 25 players with the biggest increases in shot difficulty, 4 of them are from that squad:

Go to the site and check out the full list, it's very interesting

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

He might very well still be a shithead, just most likely not from that particular incident. I fully understand that anyone on my favorite team could very well be a bad person, despite their outward appearances or ability to play this loving awesome sport at a high level.

Actually, this makes sense because before that accusations he was known as a generally quiet and seemingly nice guy. The accusations were pretty left-field.

As a player, he provides acceptable rim-protection and weak-side D, and has a 17 foot shot that can be automatic for him for long stretches. Other than that he's pretty forgettable everywhere else. Still, a nice get for a rotation.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I expect him to be used in lineups where Anderson is in to help with defense and rebounding while still being capable of making a shot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

We need to talk about Joey Dorsey and how he dunked all over the Grizzlies last night

How about this huge block followed by a fast break and then a dunk? :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnD0dxxGbaQ

e: Also that was a pretty slick euro by Pops, even if he did miss the layin

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 4, 2014

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
After watching the Clippers vs. Magic last night for the 1st half all I have to day is wow Blake what the gently caress stop taking those loving jumpers dude. Are you scared to post up Kyle O'Quinn???

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Kibner posted:

I expect him to be used in lineups where Anderson is in to help with defense and rebounding while still being capable of making a shot.

He isn't really a SF tho, but I guess it might work with Anderson's shooting. And Davis and Anderson use 95% of the minutes at the PF spot according to 82games. Not a great fit for Dante imho, but as the article mentioned, he has to take what he can get.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

He isn't really a SF tho, but I guess it might work with Anderson's shooting. And Davis and Anderson use 95% of the minutes at the PF spot according to 82games. Not a great fit for Dante imho, but as the article mentioned, he has to take what he can get.

Yeah, my theory is that they will hide Anderson on SFs on defense but have him at PF on offense. Kinda like how he was used when OKC went small while the Pels went big the other night.

Regardless, he brings more to the team than Babbitt and Salmons, even if he plays out of position.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This means he's the best PG right???

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

hitze posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to be leading the league in three point percent to be the best PG.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Rose had the most jersey sales out of any PG last year, which means he was the consensus best PG last year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The end of the Wiz game last night rocked. It was just dunk after dunk, sprinkled with Kobe flailing like an idiot

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

hitze posted:

It's clearly Jameer Nelson since he starts at point for the best offense. (It's not Jameer Nelson.)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

It's clearly Jameer Nelson since he starts at point for the best offense. (It's not Jameer Nelson.)

How bad is Gal Mekel? It looks like New Orleans is thinking of signing him as a backup point.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

How bad is Gal Mekel? It looks like New Orleans is thinking of signing him as a backup point.

He could turn into a decent backup one day. Sometimes he shows flashes of being a decent player, other times it seems like the speed of the NBA is tough for him to deal with. His three point shot is ugly but his playmaking can be ok.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Kibner posted:

Hes definitely serviceable, not afraid to take big shots but not a good shooter, and is dreamy.

Looks to make plays when he can. You can definitely do worse as far as backups go

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks Mav fans. I remember nothing of his play last year. And since he wasn't retained or signed over the off-season, I had already tempered my expectations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only thing I've seen of Gal Mekel was summer league this year but he looked loving awful.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Kibner posted:

Thanks Mav fans. I remember nothing of his play last year. And since he wasn't retained or signed over the off-season, I had already tempered my expectations.

Numbers game. They signed like 500 guards in the offseason. Now what that says that he isnt worth keeping over Nelson, Harris, or Felton is a different argument.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I saw him in his very limited appearances for Dallas last year and he looked like he was not worth retaining. I'm not sure why anyone else would sign him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

The only thing I've seen of Gal Mekel was summer league this year but he looked loving awful.

Isn't Gal Mekel the name of one of the aliens in the Star Wars cantina scene?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yeah but so did Thomas Robinson. Summer league has a way of making good players look awful.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
And then you have guys like Kelvin Cato who will grab 20 boards and 10 blocks and he disappears when the season starts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Parlett316 posted:

And then you have guys like Kelvin Cato who will grab 20 boards and 10 blocks and he disappears when the season starts

~Nick Johnson~

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

No one has mentioned it in this thread but last night Cuban got a tech. It couldn't be assigned to him so it was assigned to an assistant coach who actually has vocal cord issues that prevent him from talking loud.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...e-rescinded.ece

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Stop using FG%!! It's a dumb stat that totally ignores the extra point you get from 3s and the points you get for FTs. Brandon Jennings is TS% 52% at 25% Usage. That makes him comparable to John Wall and Ty Lawson, and shooting way more 3s at a higher %. He's been playing pretty well, considering how bad Detroit has been.
I don't know that FG%!! was banned!! Sorry if we use it sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't always have to go to advanced statistics to show that a player is poo poo. Any player who gets regular minutes in the NBA and shoots less than 40% from the floor is actively hurting his team. He's wasting possessions, giving opponents extra possessions, and quite possibly stalling the offense with bad shots and bad decisions.

Okay fine True Shooting % - Brandon Jennings was third worst among guards who received regular minutes last year. He was worse than Ricky Rubio on an extra five shots per game. He was only 17th worst in 2012/13 (good job!), but he played more minutes than anyone in the bottom 20 except Monta Ellis. 2010/11: 8th worst TS% among guards. So far this season? He's not in the bottom 20 (yay!), but he's still 60th.

Yes Brandon Jennings has had a decentish start to the 2014/15 season, but you'll have to forgive us if we think he'll revert to his established form. John Wall is no great shakes shooting the ball, but he makes up for it by being one of the best passers in the league. Ty Lawson's shooting has dipped over the first quarter of the season, but he should revert to his norm, which is as a player who hits both 2's and 3's at a decent-to-good rate.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 5, 2014

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

~Nick Johnson~

He looks pretty okay to me. I mean he's not throwing down 360s in game which is bullshit but aside from that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

He looks pretty okay to me. I mean he's not throwing down 360s in game which is bullshit but aside from that.
I'm disappointed no team ever signed The Helicopter solely for the purpose of cherry picking in Garbage Time.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Spacebump posted:

No one has mentioned it in this thread but last night Cuban got a tech. It couldn't be assigned to him so it was assigned to an assistant coach who actually has vocal cord issues that prevent him from talking loud.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...e-rescinded.ece

That certainly doesn't make much sense.
I guess because there is two options to how to view Mark Cuban's role on the team. Either as a team owner he can be assumed to be an official part of the team's management, in which case the T should be called on him.
Or if he is not an official part of the team's management, then he shouldn't have a T called on him anymore than any other fan should have.

Although, as far as I recall, at least in the college game, T's can be called on the audience. I think that is also the case in the NBA, but it is almost never used.

Also, I wonder if Mark Cuban is the type of libertarian who believes that you can pay someone to go to prison for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Strawberry Panda posted:

After watching the Clippers vs. Magic last night for the 1st half all I have to day is wow Blake what the gently caress stop taking those loving jumpers dude. Are you scared to post up Kyle O'Quinn???
Hm yes nitpicking blake's game in a situation where he was the leading scorer on a good fg% and the Clippers won by like 25 pts

• Locked thread