Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does it take well to a rotating tape drive setup? They specifically mention being able to backup and then remove the drive but everything always seems short on details with them.

Our internet at work is pretty bad, I'd hate to have to restore *everything* from the cloud if it came to it. I'd like to get a couple external drives and rotate them offsite once a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

thought this was funny tonight

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I broke some things while screwing around with Icacls and Takeown. I was trying to clean out an old windows 7 system drive, but it was refusing to let me delete the system folders and files. I used takeown and icacls to recursively edit the permissions and managed to delete everything, but the some of the changes propagated through the old symlinks and affected random folders my C:\ProgramData directory. I keep running into errors where programs don't have the permissions to access necessary files and folders, and I have to locate the relevant folder and edit in the permissions manually.

Is there any way to:

1) View the permissions of a large number of files/folders simultaneously?
2) Edit the permissions of a large number of files/folders without accidentally recursing through symlinks and causing even more problems?
3) Safely get rid of protected symlinks in the future?

I've been setting the ProgramData subfolders to Administrators: Full Control, SYSTEM: Full Control, Users: Execute, List, Read. Am I missing anything?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Avulsion posted:

I've been setting the ProgramData subfolders to Administrators: Full Control, SYSTEM: Full Control, Users: Execute, List, Read. Am I missing anything?

This seems to match the overall ACLs on my ProgramData folder, so this should be, at least for the most part, correct.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Avulsion posted:

Am I missing anything?
Possibly the option of backing up the drive, formatting it and copying back the data you actually want to be there.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Flipperwaldt posted:

Possibly the option of backing up the drive, formatting it and copying back the data you actually want to be there.

I want to learn something new.

Icacls /reset /t /c /l fixed all of the permissions. The /l parameter is supposed to keep it from recursing through symbolic links, but I still noticed a lot of /Application Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application Data/Filename.exe spam when it was running.

There doesn't seem to be any way to reset file ownership without manually clicking on every affected file, is there any point to resetting file ownership or can I just leave everything under my username?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does anyone here use mouse/keyboard sharing? I'd heard of Synergy, but it's not free anymore. I'll pay if it's better than the competition, but I don't know how it stacks up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Toast Museum posted:

Does anyone here use mouse/keyboard sharing? I'd heard of Synergy, but it's not free anymore. I'll pay if it's better than the competition, but I don't know how it stacks up.

I've used Mouse Without Borders between windows machines. It's pretty good but intentionally basic:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

Most of my use is cross machine copy/paste but I've controlled up to 4 machines with one kb/mouse with it on occasion.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rexxed posted:

I've used Mouse Without Borders between windows machines. It's pretty good but intentionally basic:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

Most of my use is cross machine copy/paste but I've controlled up to 4 machines with one kb/mouse with it on occasion.

Just set this up and it seems to do what I want. Thanks!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Does anyone know of a light, cheap/free program that will give me more control over my sound? I use headphones on my computer almost 100% of the time, and even with the Windows and music player volumes up all the way, it's still not loud enough. Is this even a thing or is the answer just "get louder headphones"?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm new to the whole idea of streaming video and music to my Roku. I just installed Plex, and the wife merrily watching videos in the other room. I'm wondering if I should stick with it, or is there something that does the same thing, is pretty drop-dead easy to use, and that isn't tied to a service? I don't hate it, for the record, just want something better (and free) if it's out there.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

mutata posted:

Does anyone know of a light, cheap/free program that will give me more control over my sound? I use headphones on my computer almost 100% of the time, and even with the Windows and music player volumes up all the way, it's still not loud enough. Is this even a thing or is the answer just "get louder headphones"?

If everything is up in software, there is no way to go louder without more hardware.

You don't need other/better headphones, though. In fact, high-quality headphones often necessitate the use of a cheap amp device like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HJWWW8?pldnSite=1 I purchased this myself for an Audio-Technica ATH-M50 pair and was very satisfied.

Don't damage your hearing, though! Your hearing can be damaged by loudness way below the pain threshold, as you may know.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Toast Museum posted:

Just set this up and it seems to do what I want. Thanks!

I've used Synergy for a while, but now switched to Mouse Without Borders - Synergy is cross-platform, but Mouse Without Borders is more stable in my experience. The only downside to sharing a KB/Mouse seamlessly across multiple PCs is that you forget that you have separate machines, and it gets frustrating when you can't drag a window from one screen to another.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

If everything is up in software, there is no way to go louder without more hardware.

You don't need other/better headphones, though. In fact, high-quality headphones often necessitate the use of a cheap amp device like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HJWWW8?pldnSite=1 I purchased this myself for an Audio-Technica ATH-M50 pair and was very satisfied.

Don't damage your hearing, though! Your hearing can be damaged by loudness way below the pain threshold, as you may know.

Fair enough, thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I buy one of these OEM versions of 8.1 do I have to wait until they mail me the sticker to get the activation code? Last time I bought a Windows OS was Vista I think and as far as I remember it was this way but maybe things have changed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone know of a good audio recording software that will immediately write the data down to a hard drive as it's recording?

The idea's to record several hours of audio at once - in a lossless format - and crashes erasing the data would be disastrous.

I've got 500gb of spare hard drive space to throw at it, so that isn't a problem.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

I'm new to the whole idea of streaming video and music to my Roku. I just installed Plex, and the wife merrily watching videos in the other room. I'm wondering if I should stick with it, or is there something that does the same thing, is pretty drop-dead easy to use, and that isn't tied to a service? I don't hate it, for the record, just want something better (and free) if it's out there.
Plex is the only one I know of that can share media from a computer to your Roku box. It's actually really simple to use when you get everything setup. Plus it can stream to mobile devices if you install their app. Make sure you use their naming conventions when you're adding to the library, and it will handle all the metadata stuff for you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some rumours about Windows 10 monetization here.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Question that is windows update related, but I'm not sure this is the right place so I posted in here and the enterprise thread to cover both bases.

Saw a user's machine in my company do a 320 meg SSL upload to a windows update server, is this normal? I am trying to think of why his machine would be uploading to an MS update server but can not come up with a reason.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2014

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Question that is windows update related, but I'm not sure this is the right place so I posted in here and the enterprise thread to cover both bases.

Saw a user's machine in my company do a 320 meg SSL upload to a windows update server, is this normal? I am trying to think of why his machine would be uploading to an MS update server but can not come up with a reason.

My best guess is that it's a crash dump, though I don't know if the Windows Update server is where those are usually uploaded to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is there an app or a way for me to see which wall port connects to which switch port by plugging in a laptop?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have access to the switch? What kind of switch is it? It could be as simple as plugging the laptop in and seeing where that MAC shows up on the switch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have access to the switch? What kind of switch is it? It could be as simple as plugging the laptop in and seeing where that MAC shows up on the switch.

Yep, I have root access to the Cisco 4510-R switch. Good idea on MAC, what is that IOS command, show cdp neighbors?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of any Contact Management software (think Lotus Organizer) that can sync with Google Apps?

It doesn't need too many features, but our secretary's computer is literally still running Lotus Organizer 6 and it's loving embarassing how bad it is.

Edit: before anyone suggests it, Google's own contact manager is somehow even worse plus it only runs inside the browser plus it's not available offline.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 11, 2014

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I'm at my wits end with a 7 machine I'm working on. The machine was wiped because a rootkit got in and ruined everything's poo poo, and now we're trying to reinstall everything. Problem is, the system needs IE 9 because the site the workers use is outdated as all hell. We made sure Win7 has no IE updates in, aside from the IE 8 updates required, but the IE 9 software packages just refuse to install, either in 32 or 64. Does anyone have any ideas? This poo poo is driving us all nuts.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My wife is trying to create a dvd using both Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD maker. Everything runs smoothly except for when she tries to apply music to the generated video slideshow for the DVD menu. For some reason it won't playback.

A quick perusal of google found a series of answers but none of them were pertinent to what was going on. I have no other codecs installed on my computer nor do I have anything else that needs to be uninstalled.

I also tried converting the mp3 to a wma file, but that still didn't help.

I tried adding photos to the project for a custom slideshow, but when I try to proceed with the project it says "error synchronizing project".

I tried downloading some of the free dvd software out there but none if it is user friendly to a user like my wife, and I personally don't want to use them either.

So to quickly sum it up:

1. Does anyone know why I WDVDM refuses to play music files on top of video slideshows?
2. Why can I not add photos to make a custom slideshow?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I bought a copy of Windows 7 about three years ago from my college. When I installed the latest set of updates, the windows activation tool came up and started saying my installation wasn't genuine. I tried to verify that it was, but it just kept saying it wasn't and that I need to spend $109 for a new copy. It also says this can be caused by important files being moved or deleted. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

I bought a copy of Windows 7 about three years ago from my college. When I installed the latest set of updates, the windows activation tool came up and started saying my installation wasn't genuine. I tried to verify that it was, but it just kept saying it wasn't and that I need to spend $109 for a new copy. It also says this can be caused by important files being moved or deleted. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on?

There is a bug in one of the latest updates that pops up false "not genuine" alerts. Do a system restore, and try again.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jewel Repetition posted:

Windows just released some seriously messed up updates that they've since revoked.

Try undoing update KB3004394 if you can.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Would it be possible to just wait until they release another update to fix it? I don't know how to do a system restore and I don't want to restart my computer right now.

Edit: Also, thanks for answering so quickly. I was worried.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Would it be possible to just wait until they release another update to fix it? I don't know how to do a system restore and I don't want to restart my computer right now.

Edit: Also, thanks for answering so quickly. I was worried.

Simply type "system restore" at the start menu, and it'll be right there. Click it, choose the restore point before you installed (it'll have a description and name like this):

Then let it do its thing and you'll have things set back to before the faulty update. Your documents and such won't be affected.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Windows just released some seriously messed up updates that they've since revoked.

Try undoing update KB3004394 if you can.

Nice, I was building a couple Web servers this week and me and our wsus guy were trying to figure out why an iis update kept failing. I uninstalled this patch, and boom, windows update is working again.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Simply type "system restore" at the start menu, and it'll be right there. Click it, choose the restore point before you installed (it'll have a description and name like this):

Then let it do its thing and you'll have things set back to before the faulty update. Your documents and such won't be affected.

Do you have to restore or can you just install it from here:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you have to restore or can you just install it from here:

It's simpler to just do a system restore to yesterday, for people who aren't technically inclined.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also, just uninstalling it won't quite work - you hafta do the uninstall in safe mode and then do a sfc scan to make it work in at least some cases.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What is the go-to, free cpu benchmark software? This must be a repeat question and for that I apologize. Searching yields so much white noise that I go immediately cross eyed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...kb-3004394.html

"Microsoft releases 'Silver Bullet' patch KB 3024777 to eliminate KB 3004394"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Yep, I have root access to the Cisco 4510-R switch. Good idea on MAC, what is that IOS command, show cdp neighbors?

show mac address-table

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 13, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Duck_King posted:

I'm at my wits end with a 7 machine I'm working on. The machine was wiped because a rootkit got in and ruined everything's poo poo, and now we're trying to reinstall everything. Problem is, the system needs IE 9 because the site the workers use is outdated as all hell. We made sure Win7 has no IE updates in, aside from the IE 8 updates required, but the IE 9 software packages just refuse to install, either in 32 or 64. Does anyone have any ideas? This poo poo is driving us all nuts.

Is SP1 installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

spog posted:

Is SP1 installed?

Yeah, SP1 was installed. We ended up saying "gently caress it" and I basically convinced the boss to let me try it with IE10. One of the machines in the office was running IE9, but I noticed another system was on 10. When he built the machines, the company's site only allowed 9, and he wanted to just clone one of them, but I said "Look, we can already get 10 on it, and it might work. Let me take the machine over there, and have him log in with 10. If it works, great, we just saved a few hours, if not, we were going to do the clone anyway, so let's just try it and see." 10 worked, and I felt the weight of the world off my shoulders.