Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ok guys, I have an offer for you. Hit me with some Seeking Blasts and ramp up the damage on me this turn. In return, I hearby solemnly swear upon my beardy craft that I, Jibbles the Beardomancer, will not enact swift retribution upon your wizardy heads. The same cannot be said for those who don't blast me this turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
How can you fight what you cannot see...?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Kellsterik posted:

How can you fight what you cannot see...?

Consult ya spellbook ya silly robutt.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

how come Totally normal North American housecat doesn't have better health after predicting defense on me?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

how come Totally normal North American housecat doesn't have better health after predicting defense on me?

Fireball prevents negative damage (health gain, aka predict defense's effect)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mad Rancher posted:

Fireball prevents negative damage (health gain, aka predict defense's effect)

i see

well because your rules are very annoying, i have decided to give away my pro-strategy to break your game

gather, friends, a majority
one of you attacks,
the remaining stutter the minority,
they scream hacks,
you democratically decide the ranking of everyone in the game

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Ernie. posted:

i see

well because your rules are very annoying, i have decided to give away my pro-strategy to break your game

gather, friends, a majority
one of you attacks,
the remaining stutter the minority,
they scream hacks,
you democratically decide the ranking of everyone in the game

This is some Fantasia poo poo right here. Are we all just broomsticks to you?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mills posted:

Also I see now that my greatest failure was simply failing to cast fireball like everyone else. :)

Indeed. The rules strongly encourage everything to be on fire, all the time. A proper wizardly state of affairs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gabriel Pope posted:

Indeed. The rules strongly encourage everything to be on fire, all the time. A proper wizardly state of affairs.

The fact that this renders several spells moot (including Predict Defense, which counters Shield, the best counter to Fireball spam) might be misconstrued by myopic nonwizards to be a detriment to the game. A true wizard would be too busy casting Fireball to trifle with such petty details however.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Healing should be countered by fireballs. This is Wizard Battle, not some lame-brain Cleric Battle.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You can't heal yourself if you're burni- OH GOD I'M ON FIRE!

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 28, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Deadline is tonight, get those actions in!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also, for anyone wondering, you can just ask me the specific rulings between spells before you do them and find out it doesn't work the way you want.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Turn 2

Four shields, three ???s, and two fireballs, folks! What exciting and original play! Callahan, Jibbles, and Cogblight, the invisible crew, receive massive damage! What could have happened?! The world may never know. What the world does know, however, is that things are heating up as POPOPOLIS goes mad with firepower and Masseter flexes out some, too! MARIANUS's shield takes the form of the icy depths, immune to the heat! If you can't stand the cold, get out of the ocean!

Totally normal North American housecat (Epsilon Plus): 2
#1 Wizard Mills (Mills): 2
Mickey Louse (Ernie.): 0
Masseter the Myoidic (Somberbrero): 5
POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER (Gabriel Pope): 2
Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such (oldskool): 6
Jibbles the Beardomancer (Baron Fuzzlewhack): 6
Supreme Cogblight (Kellsterik): 6
MARIANUS, LORD OF THE DEEP (Bendigeidfran): 2

It is now Turn 3. Deadline is Monday, the 1st, at 11 PM EST

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm digging the game so far but I think it's clear there are some balance issues. To remedy this I have taken the liberty of drafting a suggested alternate spell list with a few tweaks:

Available actions posted:

Fireball: All other Wizards receive 1 damage. Negative damage is prevented this turn.
Not Fireball: All other Wizards point and laugh at you as every hair in your beard falls out, lacking the wizardliness to maintain your facial hair. You violently poo poo and piss your robes as even your excrement is ashamed to be part of you. Your wife leaves you for a younger and more talented sorcerer and your pet hellhound runs away. Alone, friendless, and facing eviction from your crumbling hovel of a wizard tower you rock back and forth in your darkened study, cradling a death wand in your arms and craving the sweet release that you know you are too cowardly to accept. Also you take 1 damage.

I know the proposed Not Fireball spell is unrealistically good but I feel some degree of verisimilitude must be sacrificed for the sake of balance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm digging the game so far but I think it's clear there are some balance issues. To remedy this I have taken the liberty of drafting a suggested alternate spell list with a few tweaks:

I know the proposed Not Fireball spell is unrealistically good but I feel some degree of verisimilitude must be sacrificed for the sake of balance.

If you buy the rule book, it includes optional rules on making your own spells. I feel like Not Fireball would be a great addition to the Wizard Battle arsenal. :supaburn:

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 30, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I am missing half the game's actions. I will extend the deadline by an additional 24 hours, to the 2nd at 11 PM EST. Please remember to get your actions in; future lateness will result in an automatic Fizzle.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Turn 3
It's the third turn of the Wizard Battle and things are going crazy! Micky Louse wants to join the cool kids in casting Fireball, but POPOPOLIS is having none of that and shuts him down with a Counter Spell while MARIANUS, Jibbles, and Cogblight jump on the mystical louse with a 2 damage seeking blast, a 4 damage Share Pain, and an 8 damage M.A.D. Wait, only 4 damage on the Share Pain?! It's because Masseter the Myoidic traveled back in time and changed his action from Fireball to Share Pain at Micky, but the past has already seen Micky putting up a Shield. Callahan, meanwhile, has a different target in the #1 Wizard Mills, but Mills correctly puts up his own Shield! Finally, a totally normal north american housecat dislikes the constant clicking of Cogblight, so it lets loose a devastating power meow. Things can only get crazier from here!

Totally normal North American housecat (Epsilon Plus): 2
Mickey Louse (Ernie.): 14
POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER (Gabriel Pope): 1
Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such (oldskool): 4
Jibbles the Beardomancer (Baron Fuzzlewhack): 4
Supreme Cogblight (Kellsterik): 6

It is now turn 4. Deadline is Thursday, the 4th, at 11 PM EST.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 2, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm not even going to pretend to understand what's going on anymore.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
All of us grossly overcompensated at once.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

oh that happened :(

the fact that it looks co-ordinated hurts :(

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

oh that happened :(

the fact that it looks co-ordinated hurts :(

If I had known that much pain was coming your way I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

If I had known that much pain was coming your way I wouldn't have wasted my time.

well i know you didn't co-ordinate anything, because your action resulted in 0 damage to me

it's everyone else that seems like they planned things out considering there was only a single counter-spell on me, and I'd expect people playing solo/rogue would more likely than not open me up for attack with the fireballs they expect everyone else to be doing

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mickey Louse? More like Mickey Lousy >:D

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That's what you get for being in first place, I guess. (I'm sort of sorry but not really.)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

If everyone shielded every turn Jon Joe would have made us all winners.

Peace is the answer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is the current deadline insufficient for both diplomacy and submitting an action? It's less than 6 hours until deadline and a lot of folks have yet to submit.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think the game just feels like it's losing momentum and I doubt there is much diplomacy going on if we're all fireballing/shielding.

Maybe go for a shorter deadline although I don't know if we could do better than 24 hours?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Shorter is better, yes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I usually don't spend very long thinking about my actions since it seems a little arbitrary, with so many players and so many available choices it's impossible to anticipate anything.

Yo Epsilon, wanna be MAD/ShieldHeal bros from here on out?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i anticipated my decimation, but i have a comeback plan :D

all i need you all to do is let me shield until you are all at 15 damage

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I usually don't spend very long thinking about my actions since it seems a little arbitrary, with so many players and so many available choices it's impossible to anticipate anything.

Yo Epsilon, wanna be MAD/ShieldHeal bros from here on out?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I will move to a 24 hour deadline after this turn. It cut downs on potential diplomacy, but should still be cool + fun.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I suspect part of the problem is that the most interesting feature (time travel) doesn't really kick in until later in the game.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Turn 4
Wow, now things are different! Masseter tries to stick to his standard Fireball, but Cogblight Stutters him into performing another Manipulate Time, which of course changes nothing! A housecat has a similar idea and Stutters MARIANUS from attempting to Lightning Bolt POPOPOLIS into launching another Seeking Blast at Micky, whose Shield is useless! POPOPOLIS is rewarded twice by the Stutter as he takes out his dagger and Stabs both Cogblight and a housecat. Jibble's attempt to Punish Offense POPOPOLOIS fails, and #1 Wizard Mills' Shield is pointless. Finally, Callahan goes back in time to the past turn to change his Share Pain target from Mills to Jibbles! Double-finally, Cogblight feels the after-effects of his M.A.D.

Totally normal North American housecat (Epsilon Plus): 4
Mickey Louse (Ernie.): 16
POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER (Gabriel Pope): 1
Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such (oldskool): 4
Jibbles the Beardomancer (Baron Fuzzlewhack): 8
Supreme Cogblight (Kellsterik): 10

It is now turn 5. Deadline is Friday, the 5th, at 11 PM EST.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 6, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I still have no idea what is happening. You need a diagram to interpret these actions.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I... I chose the wrong target.

Good thing there's time travel I guess?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ernie, buddy. You're boned.

Ahahaha.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

Ernie, buddy. You're boned.

Ahahaha.

i don't understand what is happening either, to be honest

i will just shield x5 and hope you all mutually destroy each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

I still have no idea what is happening. You need a diagram to interpret these actions.

Ernie. posted:

i don't understand what is happening either, to be honest

i will just shield x5 and hope you all mutually destroy each other

What do you two not understand, specifically?

• Locked thread