Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

unemployedartist posted:

Could I get a recommendation for an online gallery like Deviant Art, but a little more professional? I know that there several people here that use Tumblr and such, and I was hoping to get some feedback about whatever services they use.

http://cghub.com/ has a pretty professional gathering. I mean, anyone can register just like anywhere, but the filtering and rating systems seem to do a better job at letting genuinely quality professionals percolate to the most visible places than sites like DeviantArt.

Most of my professional artist friends just use Tumblr as a blog and a place to interface with fans than an actual gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
Just to let you know: the link to the PSG Tutorial in the OP is down, but I found a mirror here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fiction D posted:

Are there any suggestions for finding royalty free old timey music? I need a piece for the background of my short film. Something that sounds like the music in Bioshock.

Perhaps the Internet Archive will have something you can use.

Swagulous
May 22, 2013

by Baldo di Gregorio
Music Production:
This user on youtube, WaxDat8800, has an incredibly useful set of tutorials for any MV8800 owners out there. Anything from sampling to layering to synth modeling!
Oh, and if you have an MPC... Get an MV Instead, they're better?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

unemployedartist posted:

Could I get a recommendation for an online gallery like Deviant Art, but a little more professional? I know that there several people here that use Tumblr and such, and I was hoping to get some feedback about whatever services they use.

What about Behance? It depends how much more professional you want I guess.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Is Gnomon worth a subscription for someone who wants to get into a career in concept art/Digital painting, or should I scrape around for free tutorials? Also would anyone wanna split the cost of one if it is?

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
UX-focussed, but this is one of the best overviews (by McCann Erickson's chief experience officer) on how a design portfolio should be constructed, and how it should be presented to a reviewer/interviewer: http://www.usabilitycounts.com/2012/06/22/lynn-teo-portfolios-matter-building-the-portfolio-to-win-the-job/. Can't recommend the structure she advocates highly enough.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
If you're obsessed with writing tools like I am, check out Editorially. It's quickly become my favorite web-based text editor. I don't really use the collaborative editing features, but I'm sure they're nice. Basically, it's a Markdown editor for your browser, and the UI reminds me a bit of Byword.

Most of my writing is blog posts of less than 2,000 words. A text document might get unwieldy at novel length, but I'm going to give Editorially a try for NaNoWriMo, anyway, just because I love the UI.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
WRITING- Specifically Screenwriting

http://writingmoviesforfunandprofit.com

I picked this book up on a whim. It's by Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant of Reno 911! / Night At The Museum fame
Not only is this book extremely informative it is actually readable and entertaining. If you've ever read a 'how to write for screen' type book you know exactly what I'm talking about.

It does a really good job of proving that becoming a professional screenwriter is possible, while not pulling punches in explaining what it means to be a screenwriter.

After picking this book up I went from outline to finished script in 3 months. I just started seeking representation this week and am working on a second two more spec scripts in the meantime.

The short and skinny is these guys tell you exactly what you need, and don't shill any bullshit. I wouldn't be at this point without this book. Worth the money and then some.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
ANIMATION/MOTION GRAPHICS http://www.actionscriptmoron.com/

A nice set of walkthroughs for weathering the choppy seas of ActionScript.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
If anyone uses ArtRage, I made a palette consisting of the 200 markers Prismacolor currently offers. (I figure it beats dropping bank on the physical ones for us beginners.) Just go to the Samples window, click the list icon, then "Add Samples → Load From Disk…"

Prismacolor Markers
Prismacolor Pastels

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 26, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know a good site for non-latin alphabets? Maybe where I can download them as a pdf? Or maybe there's a good book covering everything from chinese to hebrew to whatever.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know if you're asking about calligraphy or what, but omniglot.com has pretty much everything as far as writing system reference.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

neonnoodle posted:

I don't know if you're asking about calligraphy or what, but omniglot.com has pretty much everything as far as writing system reference.

I'm currently getting into graffiti, and thought that writing foreign letters makes for good practice. That site looks really great! Thanks a lot.

Wki
Dec 12, 2012

Emily's sassy lime.
Cigar? Toss it in a can. It is so tragic.
Pull up, Eva, we're here! Wave! Pull up!
I didn't see it on the front page, but http://www.creativelive.com is a great resource for free classes in photography, design, and buisness related activities. They currently have 5 online channels that run nonstop educational material 24/7. They have live classes which you can also watch for free. You can buy the class to watch at anytime and I guess they throw in a few extras as well.

Lywinis
Nov 5, 2007

I can bench more than you.
WRITING

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, and I'd like to bring it to the thread's attention. Hemingway is a lightweight editing tool designed to pick out long, unwieldy sentences. I like it, even though it tends to tear actual Hemingway apart.

It's basically a roided out version of Editminion, with a much simpler interface. I use it to point out problematic places in the manuscript itself. It helps me to pinpoint where sentences meander off into the distance and need to be reigned in. loving commas are going to be my crutch for life. :arghfist::saddowns:

That said, does anyone know of anything that boosts productivity? I remember reading about a limiter for webpages that tracks how long you've been on them and then denies access until you finish certain tasks, like a net nanny program. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's really hard to describe what the drat thing did. It restricted access to these sites, which you specified, and then to disable it you had to click through a bunch of passive aggressive pop ups. You could set it to run for certain periods a day, like from 9-12, and it would do that.

I really wish I could remember what it was called.

Edit: I actually found what I was looking for! Stayfocusd is the app I was referring to, and it works in chrome. You have an allotted amount of time on "time waster" websites, like SA, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook. After that, it slaps you into a blank page that admonishes you that you should be working.

I am going to try it out now!

Lywinis fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 2, 2014

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Silvyfox posted:

WRITING

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, and I'd like to bring it to the thread's attention. Hemingway is a lightweight editing tool designed to pick out long, unwieldy sentences. I like it, even though it tends to tear actual Hemingway apart.

It's basically a roided out version of Editminion, with a much simpler interface. I use it to point out problematic places in the manuscript itself. It helps me to pinpoint where sentences meander off into the distance and need to be reigned in. loving commas are going to be my crutch for life. :arghfist::saddowns:

Just used this and it's pretty handy. While you don't have to always trust its results, it's good for allowing you to make a conscious decision about whether you need to have that adjective there, or use passive voice here, or a long sentence there.

Also according to another TDer I shared it with on the Thunderdome IRC, it thinks "lilly" is an adjective, so it's not infallible! It is helpful though and I got some edits for this week's submission out of it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

WRITING (advice)

The Turkey City Lexicon: a list of bad writing habits from a famous sci-fi writing workshop of the late 70s. This list is the origin of the term "said-bookism".

The King's English, by the Fowler Brothers (1908). The book that revolutionised the English language, driving out all the flowery Victorian guff and replacing it with good, honest, straightforward writing. Some parts (Americanisms! :argh:) are outdated, but most is still quite relevant.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I hope I didn't just miss it somewhere, but is there any source that keeps track of writing contests by any chance? I feel like there has to be a better system than typing "writing contests" into google and wading through all the ones with closed submissions / "coming soon!" pages / no prizes or publication opportunities, etc., but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
Not sure if this is the best place for this kind of thing but didn't really see anywhere else that fits. If it's in the wrong thread let me know and I will move it accordingly.

Some friends and I are starting an experimental writing blog where we would post unfinished written works that people have abandoned. Called Non Finito Magazine (http://nonfinitomagazine.tumblr.com/) it would feature short written works people liked but just couldn't quite finish, little chunks of stories that never became anything solid, artistic works that couldn't quite come together, etc. The idea is that even if unfinished in the traditional "beginning-middle-end" sense, these ideas should be shared and enjoyed.

If this becomes decently popular as a concept, we may branch out into small printed editions or something similar, but for now we are just trying out the idea. If you would like to submit or know people who would, please pass the word along! Thanks!

Smam fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 8, 2019

The Moon
Jun 8, 2006
In Space
http://drawcrowd.com/ is a new website that might be worth checking out for inspiration and for artists trying to get their name out there. Developed by concept artist Feng Zhu.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CGHub has been suddenly shut down, and won't be coming back.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
The go-to place for references for cartooning, animation and character design!
http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
Been using this software for the past few days - FocusWriter.

It's a simple, 'distraction-free' text editor with multiple background themes. You can set writing goals on it, get word counts, and just customize the visual appearance of your writing. You can have multiple pieces of writing open in multiple tabs at once, and even better, it has typewriting sounds, so every key you press (minus the backspace key) has the sound of a key being pressed on a typewriter. It's a fun program to use and I've been using it exclusively for my fiction writing so far.

Just thought I'd suggest it :)

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

I came here to laugh at you.
Anyone here use Scrivener? It's slowly becoming the only program I use to plan and write stories.

Sazabi_Master fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 15, 2014

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Sazabi_Master posted:

Anyone here use Scrivener? It's slowly becoming the only program I use to plan and write stories.

I do, and love it. It's not always intuitive, but I've found it's a great program for organizing stories. I tend to like to write in small bits and scenes, so I love that I can easily rearrange them, make comments, and trash them without deleting them. For me, it was totally worth the price.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Echoing the above poster. It is absolutely worth the price. If you wait until November, they tend to offer discounts for the product, ranging from 20% - 50% depending on your participation in NanoWrimo.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I'm in the market for newer, better font management software.

Anyone have any suggestions, cautionary tales, etc.? Extensis Suitcase has burned me in the past and my experiences with Universal Type Client have been spotty at best.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ferrule posted:

I'm in the market for newer, better font management software.

Anyone have any suggestions, cautionary tales, etc.? Extensis Suitcase has burned me in the past and my experiences with Universal Type Client have been spotty at best.

I like FontExplorer X, but really wish you had the option to sync your library between computers (i.e. using Dropbox).

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

pipes! posted:

I like FontExplorer X, but really wish you had the option to sync your library between computers (i.e. using Dropbox).

I've tried multiple font managers and I agree with the above.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Ever since CGHub went all weird I've been using https://www.artstation.com/
It's still in beta right now but its good for a quick portfolio and it has nice inspiration board layout.

AceInkySlut
Mar 17, 2014
Misc.

These are some great tumblrs full of resources and are really organised. Super perfect for quick anatomy doodles or in-depth studies.

http://artist-refs.tumblr.com/
http://art-and-sterf.tumblr.com/

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Drawing/Digital

Recently, to promote his school-ism stuff, Bobby Chiu has been doing some daily drawing exercise demos, to help people sharpen up their drawing skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQLct6TJdI

He has a bunch of them! He also includes worksheets/templates so you can draw along too. That, and he has an hour long video so you can see how he works, and he talks through them.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
WRITING

This seems like the best place to post this. I made an add-on for Google Docs that converts formatting to forum BBcode tags so you can copy/paste from docs to forums without having to redo formatting by hand. Mostly I did it because it let me post Thunderdome crits more easily, but hopefully other people might find it useful when posting stories or parts for crit.

It got approved yesterday, and you can find it in the Chrome App store for some reason. You don't actually need Chrome to use it, it installs server-side in your Google account.

Any bugs/requests, do let me know

speng31b
May 8, 2010

e

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 1, 2022

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Can anybody vouch for Scrivener? I want to start writing outlines that are more sophisticated than a big word-tangle in a Microsoft Word document. It looks really enticing and I'd like to give it a try, but I'd feel better hearing about it from someone who's used it first. Is it as good as it looks?

Edit: :doh: I should read more carefully and not post pre-coffee any more.

yoyomama posted:

I do, and love it. It's not always intuitive, but I've found it's a great program for organizing stories. I tend to like to write in small bits and scenes, so I love that I can easily rearrange them, make comments, and trash them without deleting them. For me, it was totally worth the price.

Transmogrifier posted:

Echoing the above poster. It is absolutely worth the price. If you wait until November, they tend to offer discounts for the product, ranging from 20% - 50% depending on your participation in NanoWrimo.

Owl at Home fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 20, 2015

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Speaking of writing apps, I absolutely love Ulysses. I'm sure Scrivener is great and all, but I'm turned off by all the buttons and switches. I just want to write, but I need to be able to organize my writing better than I can in Word or Google Docs or a typical text editor like Byword.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Contribution: Writing Movies For Fun And Profit

This is far and away one of the most entertaining 'How To Be A Professional' books I have read, and while it jokes around about what it is that doesn't devalue the information within it. It is also brutally honest at points, and the sharp attitude helped me ditch the 'starving artist' mindset and realize that things aren't going to happen if I don't actually work and fail and improve. I think most importantly is it's written by Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant who are:
A. Active writers in Hollywood - They are currently doing the things they are showing you.
B. Funny and Informative - You don't get bored by the information - which there is a lot of.
C. Brutally Honest, and also Self Critical

The point is that if you want to work as a screenwriter you have to be willing to work for it.

"[s posted:

Fun And[/s]Profit"]
"Screenplays are like blueprints. A guy who's drawn up a lot of blueprints that have never actually been made into buildings is not an 'architecture guru,' he's an 'unemployed douchebag.' A guy who talks about screen-writing but who's never sold a screenplay is not a 'screenwriting guru,' he's a 'lecture circuit bullshit artist.' From now on, that's what we'll call them." - Thomas Lennon and/or Ben Garant

While the subject matter is screenwriting it doesn't dwell on the boring parts that you should know if you plan on being a working writer. All the standard things like margins/font/size/indents/etc vary by studio and you can look them up pretty much anywhere anywhere. It doesn't dwell on the basics, just runs a quick refresher course.

Fun and Profit is basically what you do after you come up with an idea/pitch/first draft. The goodreads page for it has a lot of reviews that sum it up better than I do.

quote:

What I learned from this book:

You have to live in LA. //To work as a screenwriter
You have to use Final Draft (finaldraft.com). //to screenwrite professionally
You have to write, write and write some more (universal for any type of writing).
You have to have an agent (and maybe a manager and an entertainment lawyer) so that you can write, write and write some more. //Not universal to writing
You have to outline (fun!). //Pretty damned important to writing in general
You have to be agreeable and not have a big and easily bruised ego (probably easier said than done). //universal to writing in general
Drinking probably helps (seriously, there's a chapter devoted to that). //universal to writing in general

And! The difference between "&" and "and", because there is one.

Chrome Store/Books has a pretty big chunk of it available online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDG4Z2vkd8

Meeple posted:

WRITING

This seems like the best place to post this. I made an add-on for Google Docs that converts formatting to forum BBcode tags so you can copy/paste from docs to forums without having to redo formatting by hand. Mostly I did it because it let me post Thunderdome crits more easily, but hopefully other people might find it useful when posting stories or parts for crit.

It got approved yesterday, and you can find it in the Chrome App store for some reason. You don't actually need Chrome to use it, it installs server-side in your Google account.

Any bugs/requests, do let me know

That is freaking awesome.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 4, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread I'm not seeing or are there any writers in here who have written about their own family members in relation to war (Vietnam specifically)? I am tentatively preparing to write my dad's experiences in Vietnam and was hoping someone could offer advice if they've done something similar. I've checked out interviews online and gotten a fairly solid idea of what I want to ask and how to structure it, but I'm sure there's things I haven't thought of that might be important or helpful.

(I wasn't sure if this would go in the questions thread or this one since I'm sort of looking for resources but also asking a question so if I'm wrong I'm sorry!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-art-project/akimgimeeoiognljlfchpbkpfbmeapkh?hl=en

I'm sure this is old news to everybody, but Google Art Project has a Chrome extension that makes new tabs pretty. It's been brightening my day :sun: