Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I took the nib off and did it with a bit of paper and it does seem to have helped a bit. I'll keep working at it, thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
^ Yep, seems a lot better now. It's writing basically normally again. It feels slightly scratchier than before but that could be my imagine. Luckily my fine-nibbed Safari in black arrived today so when my black ink turns up I'll be able to compare them. Incidentally, really loving the Safari in charcoal, the matte finish is really nice.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Goulet Pens sell brass sheets, I think you get a couple of sheets for $4 or something. A while back I picked up a bundle he had with a loupe and some brass sheets and a couple other things (he's got a pen tuning package with more stuff in it now but it's like $40 which is a little steep IMO and way more than I paid). If you're getting some ink samples sometime you might toss the sheets in your cart, because they are fairly handy. While I'm sure it's the sort of thing you can buy at a hardware store for less, I wouldn't have a clue what thickness would be appropriate for pen-flossing and you'd probably end up having to buy way more than you'd ever need.

edit: this guy has them pretty cheap but uh I have no idea about that site :shrug:

Talking about brass sheets inspired me to get mine out and floss a bit on the 78G I picked up to be my dedicated BSB pen. I thought the B nib would be great, a big fat blue line when I'm signing stuff, but it has been annoyingly dry ever since I got it. The tines were so close they were scoring the brass so I spread them out a tiny bit bending them with my thumbnail and now it's nice and juicy like I wanted.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 4, 2014

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Everything Burrito posted:

I want some of that ink so bad but so does apparently everyone else. Has it ever come back in stock anywhere?

Back in stock on JetPens today (I grabbed a bottle).

http://www.jetpens.com/J.-Herbin-1670-Anniversary-Fountain-Pen-Ink-50-ml-Bottle-Stormy-Grey/pd/13152

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thanks for the heads up! Snagged me a bottle. Should look nice on the shelf next to Rouge Hematite and Bleu Ocean.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Thanks for that! All the UK stockists have no idea when they'll get more so I've nabbed a bottle from JetPens, shame it won't be here in time for use on my Christmas cards.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yay! Grabbed a bottle before it's all gone again.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ahhhhhh finally. Thought I'd never snag a bottle with how quickly everyone else has been selling out of their few and far between restocks. Only bummer is I'm out of the country until the 22nd, but at least I'll have something nice waiting for me when I get home. :unsmith:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Yayyy finally, thank you!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Maybe if I had some brass sheets I could make my Jinhao quit loving up the downstrokes on my Christmas cards. :argh:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

While I'm sure it's the sort of thing you can buy at a hardware store for less, I wouldn't have a clue what thickness would be appropriate for pen-flossing and you'd probably end up having to buy way more than you'd ever need.

edit: this guy has them pretty cheap but uh I have no idea about that site :shrug:

Hobby shops with a heavy train/RC/modeling component generally sell big sheets of the stuff. Keep in mind, though, that the sheets that most pen retailers sell are much thinner than those I've seen in brick and mortar shops.

I bought the thinnest sheet that hobby lobby sold and it's too wide to floss with, but it's great for gently widening the slit. It's actually really useful for processing new cheap Chinese pens. The newer Hero tubular nibs tend to be pressed together way too tight.

Speaking of cheap Chinese pens! I just got one of these in the mail. It's Hero's knockoff of a another company's P51 knockoff. It has the width/profile of a PFM with a hooded nib and really nice springy clip. It's honestly my favorite Chinese beater pen ever.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Sorry in advance for quoting from a few pages back...

Alder posted:

I really, really wanted a Hobonichi cover more than the actual planner but not sure if it's worth the high price tag. Perhaps, would you review it when it arrives? Thanks.

Yes, of course! I have the pink polka dot one from last year I can compare it to, and I will link to a picture review when my package comes.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there some advantage to the brass sheet for flossing over a razor blade?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Welsper posted:

Is there some advantage to the brass sheet for flossing over a razor blade?

Not really. I think it's just getting a smooth, polished material that won't wear away at the nib.

If you are using a gold nib a SS razor could cut into it a bit though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was my understanding; that the brass would be softer than the nib and not scratch it up, but wouldn't leave debris behind like a piece of paper or something would. I'd imagine you could use anything that fit those criteria and was the right thickness though.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

As long as you're using a metal softer than that your nib is made of you'll be fine.

Sailor used to sell a tool that had a little brass tip meant for flossing nibs, but I don't think they do it now - it only comes bundled with their super extra fine Naginata Togis or something.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, new Safari F seems quite scratchy. Is this just how they are?

e: Oh, maybe not. Seems to be improving a bit now. Still doesn't feel quite as smooth as the medium but I guess that's probably to be expected?

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 5, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
With less ink to lubricate it, smaller nibs will feel scratchier than their bigger counterparts. It's just the nature of the beast.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have no idea what I'm going to do with this stuff since my taste in daily use ink runs more towards bulletproof blacks (currently EL Lawrence is my ink of choice), but I have a bottle of the stuff headed my way.

Also, Jesus the capacity of the Con-50 is tiny. I feel like I have to refill my Falcon daily.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
So if I find the safari a little small to grip and on the light side, would an AlStar be a good alternative?

Nb. I already have (and love) a Metro.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Slimchandi posted:

So if I find the safari a little small to grip and on the light side, would an AlStar be a good alternative?

Nb. I already have (and love) a Metro.

Afaik the al star and safari are exactly the same size, so whatever you dislike about the safari you will probably still not like about the al star.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Only 14 left as of typing this, FYI.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

howe_sam posted:

Also, Jesus the capacity of the Con-50 is tiny. I feel like I have to refill my Falcon daily.

Only disappointing aspect of the pen. Been doing a lot of international travel lately and it's fully enlightened me to the limitations of the CON-50. Last trans-Atlantic flight I made I started out with a full fill and was bone dry halfway through the flight.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of flying I'll be taking a pen with me on a flight next week. I've flown with pens before but not one with a cartridge in it. Read up a little and my first instinct of taking the cartridge out was apparently incorrect -- well, taking it out and trying to transport said open cartridge. I'd be fine if I tossed it and just flew with an empty pen but I hate to waste it. I'll probably fly out with an empty pen but will gamble with leaving the cartridge installed and the pen upright on the way home so here's hoping I don't end up with a purse full of ink. I'll put my pen in a ziploc just in case anyway. Still seems like the cartridges will be more convenient and easier to deal with vs having to carry ink vials and refill a converter all the time because it barely holds anything.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I fly semi-regularly for work. My month-old Prera (with converter) has flown on nearly ten flights so far, and I've had no problems with it. I keep it in a small plastic bag and don't use it while on the plane just to be safe, but I've had zero leaks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Speaking of flying I'll be taking a pen with me on a flight next week. I've flown with pens before but not one with a cartridge in it. Read up a little and my first instinct of taking the cartridge out was apparently incorrect -- well, taking it out and trying to transport said open cartridge. I'd be fine if I tossed it and just flew with an empty pen but I hate to waste it. I'll probably fly out with an empty pen but will gamble with leaving the cartridge installed and the pen upright on the way home so here's hoping I don't end up with a purse full of ink. I'll put my pen in a ziploc just in case anyway. Still seems like the cartridges will be more convenient and easier to deal with vs having to carry ink vials and refill a converter all the time because it barely holds anything.

Just clean off the pen between each flight. Usually, only a small amount of ink comes out in flight, and the cap will generally hold all of it until you can wipe it off.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I've had virtually zero problems with leakage during flights. I always put my pens in a plastic baggie just in case, but so far so bueno. And for that matter, I've used several different pens during flights and also not had a problem. Didn't even matter if they were full or not before going up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sounds good. I wasn't planning on using it mid-flight but good to know it shouldn't be much of an issue if I had to.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I put my pens in an empty water bottle with the lid on tight so they have a separate atmosphere. Pretty sure I learned that trick from somebody in this thread.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Tulip posted:

I put my pens in an empty water bottle with the lid on tight so they have a separate atmosphere. Pretty sure I learned that trick from somebody in this thread.

That was in here a ways back, and it has saved me a lot of trouble as well.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Tulip posted:

Effectively the same as putting them in a Ziploc bag. Or any airtight container really.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Thelonious Monk posted:

Effectively the same as putting them in a Ziploc bag. Or any airtight container really.

Unless you're inflating your ziplocs before you pack them, it's not really the same

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Unless you're inflating your ziplocs before you pack them, it's not really the same
This probably makes me sound super ignorant, but why not? As long as you don't squeeze the air out of the bags before sealing it should be similar right?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Thelonious Monk posted:

This probably makes me sound super ignorant, but why not? As long as you don't squeeze the air out of the bags before sealing it should be similar right?

The reason a water/soda bottle works is that they're designed to be able to hold their contents at a higher pressure than the environment. If you put a pen into the bottle and cap it, when you go up, the air inside will stay at a relatively constant pressure so there shouldn't be any ink being pushed out due to the air in the cartridge/converter expanding. If you use a ziploc bag that isn't full of air, the air will still expand as the bag still has room left to inflate, but if you do inflate it, you waste a ton of space as well as risk the seal popping. Even if the seal doesn't fail, the plastic in the bag is more prone to stretching, so it'd be strictly less effective

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

The reason a water/soda bottle works is that they're designed to be able to hold their contents at a higher pressure than the environment. If you put a pen into the bottle and cap it, when you go up, the air inside will stay at a relatively constant pressure so there shouldn't be any ink being pushed out due to the air in the cartridge/converter expanding. If you use a ziploc bag that isn't full of air, the air will still expand as the bag still has room left to inflate, but if you do inflate it, you waste a ton of space as well as risk the seal popping. Even if the seal doesn't fail, the plastic in the bag is more prone to stretching, so it'd be strictly less effective

Thanks! Looks like I will be using a bottle the next time a fly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, somewhat related.

What's a good resource for learning to write with fountain pens?

I have a handful of cheap Pilot Varsity disposal fountain pens. They bleed through notebook paper, so I haven't used them in class.

However, I've decided that I want to improve my handwriting over winter break, and if I can learn to use a fountain pen, I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This site has been recommended in the thread: Paperpenalia Handwriting Tips

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Annath posted:

So, somewhat related.

What's a good resource for learning to write with fountain pens?

I have a handful of cheap Pilot Varsity disposal fountain pens. They bleed through notebook paper, so I haven't used them in class.

However, I've decided that I want to improve my handwriting over winter break, and if I can learn to use a fountain pen, I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

FPN/Fountain Pen Network has a writing forum for improving handwriting or calligraphy. I find it helpful there back when I was looking into italic.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a report now on the performance of the Cross Stratford now that I can compare to a known quality standard: The Pilot Metro. I have a fine nib Metro using the ink cartridge provided in the container. The Stratford has a medium nib and is loaded with one of the six original ink carts.

The Stratford certainly writes wetter right off the bat. Part of this is due to the medium nib, and certainly the ink must play a factor. Right out of the box, the Stratford was a silky smooth writer, but it has been consistently plagued by sudden stops in feeding. When writing in cursive, it does not stop mid word, but I frequently find myself needing to give it a gentle coaxing in order to start the next word. Also, if left uncapped for several minutes without writing, it will consistently experience a very slow start, and on one occasion, I had to dip the tip of the pen in a droplet of water to restart the capillary action.

In comparison, my pilot was rather scratchy for the first day, but when I started working with it on the second and following days, it has taken to laying ink down just as smoothly with none of the issues in consistency. I loaned my Stratford out to a friend with the caveat that it has this slow start issue just to see if he likes the general smoothness of fountain pens and to encourage him to go out and get one for himself.

I found out today that a good friend of mine has recently gotten interested in fountain pens as well. He let me try a Lamy Safari with a fine nib loaded with Noodler's black bulletproof that he bought just a few days ago (his second fountain pen so far). I found it to be very scratchy with an unpleasant configuration for my hand. I also greatly prefer the weight of the all metal Metro or Stratford. He clued me in on a fancy pen shop located nearby, and my penlust threatens to run rampant and strong.

With all that being said, the Metro has my vote for its continued supremacy as a first starter pen. Now I'm starting to get an itch for a nice italic nib pen for when I'm feeling extra fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Italic nibs are nice but there's no need to pay much for it as many FP companies offer calligraphy sets too. Some examples would be Sheaffer No-nonense, Pilot Parallel, and Manuscript FPs. I suggest sets unless you have a nib preference and line variation is more noticeable in greater widths.

You can even install a italic nib if you switch the nib from a Pilot 78G to the Metro.