Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It made me irrationally angry when people in Low Effort were all "But you're posting, pretty suspicious eh?" and the same thing is true in reverse here. It's just flavor, ya goons.

Puntification posted:

Some of the concepts, the characters and the physical effects are very cool but as a whole it doesn't work. Also as the franchise goes on it makes it clear rather than being extra-dimensional entities who transcend the understanding and morality of human existence they are simply demons who are kinky makes it conceptually disappointing as well as cinematically disappointing. I have many and strong opinions about bad movies.

I think Horror is an exceptionally difficult genre to do well, and Hellblazer is a tribute to that. There are so many interesting ideas, but ultimately it just isn't up to the execution. The writing misses on so many levels.

King Burgundy posted:

I have a million open tabs, so let me start putting together my thoughts on my top 3 scum. I think we are pretty close to being able to wrap this up.

That seems pretty ambitious man. Did you have any thoughts on Exakt? He really did very little to help find scum yesterday despite being active. His reads were very soft and his voting was complacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

I was actually proud of my analysis of Epsilon and I'm sorry that I wasn't paying attention to the game in time to make that case earlier.

So I'm still really hesitant to give up on Allen as scum. While he's not playing well and a scum buddy should be coaching him to do better, I don't like "too scummy to be scum" as an excuse to dismiss him.

The PMom kill is interesting, since he would have been a town player who was going to receive a punishment if he wasn't killed. I'm not sure why scum would have killed him. I'd say it'd be a newbie move, but I think two newbie scum would take out a top poster. I could just see it being considerate scum wanting to keep the :justpost: vibe going, at which point I'd think it was one or more of MMM, KB, and Somber.

I'll give the game a look over again.

I realize this post doesn't say too much and I should probably delete it for not adding anything to the conversation but gently caress it :justpost:!

Your Epsilon analysis was really good, props to that. That said, I'm kind glad my vote for Allen didn't go through.

Allen has behavior that looks scummy, I agree with that. However, he also has behavior that doesn't make sense as either alignment. Some of it is just odd. That's why I think he's a false positive for scum. I'd like to see more content from him regardless.

I agree that killing Pmom fits my scum MO but I think you're inferring way too much from the nightkill. Rationalizing rarely works out well since town is working with imperfect information.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
You do realize that there are rewards for posting alot and it isnt just flavour?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

HiipFire posted:

You do realize that there are rewards for posting alot and it isnt just flavour?

Why would that be indicative of alignment? Town and scum should both want whatever reward there is.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So I think the scum team is either:

MMM/Exakt

OR

MMM/Hiipfire

Slightly different reasons for both, which I'll get into, but the common thread is MMM. I think he is trying to keep his post count up because of the special rules of the game, but doesn't want to actually have any strong opinions on record. He's spent this game making it seem like he is scumhunting, without actually ever making any strong reads or doing any real scumhunting. A few times he implies that he'll be having those forthcoming, but then he never follows up. His one vote was the end of day hammer on EP, a flipped town. Also, I've already mentioned that I think his weird thing about flavor claiming being no big deal in this game seemed really odd to me.

I can easily see both Hiipfire and Exakt as scum as well, but I doubt they'd let themselves be both of the lowest post counters in the thread given the thread rules. It seems like a really bad idea for them as a scum team. Having said that, I'll be shocked if one of them isn't scum. There is always a scum lurker. Going into today I was thinking it was going to be PinMom, but with PinMom gone it is one of these two. I've posted my thoughts on Hiipfire before, and I may go into more below but for Exakt I agree with Somber's recent case on him and I think he is acting like lurker scum.

Let's dive into some MMM posts:

MildManeredManikin posted:

AHEM ~ I've noticed a lot of people posting but nobody FINDING SCUM! How can you play this game without being a S C U M H U N T E R first and foremost. Hang on a bit I'll have the scum team in ~10 minutes or so.

Ok, here MMM is criticizing other people for not scumhunting. He has done none of his own at this point, but he assures us he'll have it licked in 10 minutes.

Lurking in this particular game is interesting since there have been mechanics specifically set in place to reward not lurking with in game actions. In theory this should mean that scum would have reason to make a bunch of posts, possibly even making useles filler posts to boost their post counts. We'll see if that comes to fruition, it's possible scum find the regular benefits of lurking more rewarding than the drawbacks gievn out.

Here is MMM giving his opinion on what the game mechanics will cause scum to do. I think he's right and he's describing himself and his scum buddy, so I'm mostly pointing this out because it is funny.

Exact are you scum? Send me a pm with a yes or a no and I promise I won't tell the thread.

Here is MMM's first attempt to maybe/possibly kind of point to someone at scum? It looks like extremely light bussing to me. Also, a really nice touch as scum is that he spelled his name wrong. This will let him have a pleasant interaction with exakt later that I won't bother quoting.

I didn't give myself quite enough time. I'm still working through it but maybe exact and asiina?

This is the result of MMM's scumhunting. No reasoning, just a couple of names tossed out lightly. Still lightly bussing exakt.

I would like to read asiina when somber's not pressing her though. That's like enough to make somebody set off a polygraph while saying their name.

He almost immediately backs off the Asiina thing though. Possibly because he actually knows she is town? Still nothing that could be called a strong read or case on anyone. He'll go back and forth on asiina a bit lightly in his next few posts, which we'll skip for brevity. But the important part is he'll then claim asiina is town with no explanation at about the two hour mark from when he said he'd have the scum team(when prompted he'll later give a bit). This leaves him with only his light bussing on exakt as the closest he gets to a case/fingering scum.

EXACT,

EXACT

You still haven't sent me that pm or even acknowledged that when asked to guess a scum team I put you in the guess.

More light bussing on Exakt.

So somber and Asiina are probably not the same alignment btw.

Here is a fun one. Since he has already come out and declared Asiina town, he is trying to say he thinks somber is scum here, but again a super light touch with nothing but fluff behind it.

I'll need to come back to this tonight because somber has certainly laid out enough info that I can figure this out.

He follows it up with the above. But he never returns to this. I even specifically ask him about it later and he ignores it. Although he does admit to being fine with voting Somber a short while later with nothing else really behind it.

Mostly, KingB has been pretty good but these 3 posts make me reluctant to list him as town just yet.

He mentions me a few times in here as well, ending with this pretty much. Still unwilling to take any real stances.

And you're not seeing EXAKT in any way?

He asks Asiina for help finding the scum and ends with some more light bussing by MMM on his scum buddy Exakt?

-------------

That is pretty much it. That is what MMM has done this game. To reiterate, what I'm seeing here is a lot of fake content to seem like he is actively hunting scum without ever having to dive into details or actually go on the record for anything real. I will say, the only thing I don't think fits neatly into this box is his vote on EP for hammer. Like why would he even bother? EP was definitely going home at that point. But still, I think this is my strongest scum read.

##vote MMM

I actually have more to post and tons of tabs still open, but I'm out of time. Expect a further post from me tonight or tomorrow to finish this out. To be clear, I'll be fine voting MMM, Exakt, or Hiipfire today. My preference is MMM.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I disagree.

Also the first quote was me making fun of somber and may shed some light on the rest of it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm surprised though King, I thought you were BETTER than that. You seem to SMART and GOOD to make such a case.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also the first quote was me making fun of somber and may shed some light on the rest of it.

Sure, but the rest of it seems pretty deceptively low-calorie.

Whereas I'm honestly bullshitting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The whole case is framed in the context of the first quote though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think the context sticks around pretty well even without the first one.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I disagree.

Setting this aside, I'm still comfortable with the rest. The less nuanced version of my case is not, oh MMM said he was a scumhunter(which you are saying is a joke) so his lack of scumhunting is scummy. My case is just, your lack of scumhunting is scummy. Your unwillingness to really stand behind/for anything is scummy.

I'm still happy with this.

In other news, when I got home last night, I had lost all my open tabs, so meh. Part 2 is probably not coming, especially given the seeming lack of interest in my previous stuff: :effort: But it would have just elaborated on what I said in my opening piece.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm interested in more. I cannot engage very strongly with the thread right now but I'm still reading along.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Why do you dismiss my opinions on Allen wren, Asiina and hiipfire as not strong?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I know flavour arguments are bad but I play by my own rules :slick:

I really though Asiina's flavour was somber, assumed she was town because somber posts a lot and now that somebody else flipped somber I have no clue what to think.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I know flavour arguments are bad but I play by my own rules :slick:

I really though Asiina's flavour was somber, assumed she was town because somber posts a lot and now that somebody else flipped somber I have no clue what to think.

This was in addition to my town read of her based on her posting btw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I never received a boon for posting a lot, at least not one I was aware of.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm interested in more. I cannot engage very strongly with the thread right now but I'm still reading along.

Hey KB, you continue to do all the work while I chill, ok?

;)

But fine, I'll at least address that next post.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Hey KB, you continue to do all the work while I chill, ok?

;)

But fine, I'll at least address that next post.

poo poo you discovered my strategy

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Why do you dismiss my opinions on Allen wren, Asiina and hiipfire as not strong?

Because none of them were strong?

You waffled back and forth on Asiina within a short period of time with seemingly little thought, first calling her scum, then not, and none of it backed by much in the way of evidence. When prompted you tossed out a little bone, but it still didn't really feel like you were standing behind it.

On Allen, your reason for thinking he's town is that he is a cool guy and because you are literally Somber. I know there is some joking in that, but still doesn't seem to be backed by anything real at all. It doesn't even feel like a particularly strong gut read to me.

Hiip does seem like your strongest town read to me of them all, but I think that may be because you are protecting a scum buddy and even on THAT you waffled a little bit here and there to allow later wiggle room. Here is an example of that:

My reasoning for not thinking he's scum has something to do with meta, I don't want to drag into a whole meta defence here, but basically hiipfire is 15 and loves turbos. He voted be explicitly because it would put me at -1 which is like exactly the thing I would guess that hiipfire would do. Admittedly I haven't read him a huge amount beyond that so I guess I should get on that.

This to me says: I don't think he's scum, but I haven't done much research yet, so don't hold me to that when he flips later.

On top of that, where are the scum reads? Your mild hinting puts you on the hook for no one.

Basically, the intent I'm seeing, the tone I'm seeing behind this, doesn't seem at all serious. Like you are floating through the thread with no cares because you already know who the scum and town are and are just putting little nibbles out there to prove useful later if you need to manufacture a narrative.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also I never received a boon for posting a lot, at least not one I was aware of.

Per Punt's post, it appears he is randomly deciding to either punish or reward at the end of a game day? He said the random choice was to punish lowest poster, but lowest poster got nk'd so nothing happened.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

On the plus side, thank you for at least trying to keep up with posting in this thread, unlike your potential scum buddies Hiip and Exakt who are mostly non entities in this thread.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Have you decided whether I'm bussing or protecting because it can't be both king

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Although in all fairness I haven't been explaining myself very much this game so I apologize for that.

Allen wren and Asiina were my strong reads btw I even gave them their own posts to say they were town. I know people only accept reasons for reads when presented in large posts with quotes and stuff so I guess I should do some of those.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Have you decided whether I'm bussing or protecting because it can't be both king

Nope. I'm not sure yet. I don't really know your meta at all, I'm not sure which is more likely. If anyone here does, maybe they can shed some light. I'm feeling confident you are scum. And I'm feeling confident that one of Hiip/Exakt are lurker scum. But I'm not sure which pairing is more likely given available evidence.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Although in all fairness I haven't been explaining myself very much this game so I apologize for that.

Allen wren and Asiina were my strong reads btw I even gave them their own posts to say they were town. I know people only accept reasons for reads when presented in large posts with quotes and stuff so I guess I should do some of those.

Good to know, but yes, that would be extremely helpful.

Also, especially if some of your strong reads with reasons were scum, that would be super useful.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I do think EXAKT is scum btw, I'm not sure why it's listed as mild bussing given that every time I have mentioned EXAKT I have said they were scum in the same post.

Honestly this is the hardest game I have played in long time. I can see reasons for everybody being scum and I'm having a lot of trouble distinguishing intent.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I actually have a lot to do at work today explaining why I don't suck at my job, but KB is right. I went back and looked at every time Manny mentions Hiipfire and he is snuggly soft in any push on Hiip. Not so much scummy by itself, but it is weird that Manny would say otherwise.

Yeah KB I'm with you. Manny and Exakt for scum.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Good to know, but yes, that would be extremely helpful.

Also, especially if some of your strong reads with reasons were scum, that would be super useful.

K let me get to a computer

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I do think EXAKT is scum btw, I'm not sure why it's listed as mild bussing given that every time I have mentioned EXAKT I have said they were scum in the same post.

A quick readthrough shows this to be a complete lie. Might be missing something.

Okay, closing out of this tab. Man, and no one ever posts during work normally :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I actually have a lot to do at work today explaining why I don't suck at my job, but KB is right. I went back and looked at every time Manny mentions Hiipfire and he is snuggly soft in any push on Hiip. Not so much scummy by itself, but it is weird that Manny would say otherwise.

Yeah KB I'm with you. Manny and Exakt for scum.

I denied being against the hiipfire vote?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Sorry for the lack of posting the past couple of days. I keep getting called into work. I was planning on being able to be around more today, but got called in again. Before I leave, though,I think that Hiipfire is scum. He's unfortunately had very little content, but what he does have is weird. He has a case on me that's basically just "EXAKT switched his vote from me to someone else he thought was scummy, and didn't explain why he stopped voting for me, ergo he is scum." This doesn't really hold up, as he quotes a post where I explain my rationale for switching to EP, someone whom he also thinks is scummy:

HiipFire posted:

I really didn't like his "I'm not gonna discuss anything until MMM is lynched", since his only real explanation for his post was that asking for flavourclaims is scummy.

Then you put him under pressure and he votes for you, piggybacking Asiina's argument and all he mentions about MMM is that he's being "less scummy" and that he can't explain it. Also he keeps making these posts about how he could put more effort into his cases but that he won't because he thinks you'll just ignore them.

I'm thinking he's either scum or a lazy town.
Leaning towards scum though.

A lot of the case he's making had already been made when he posted, but that's somewhat understandable, seeing as Hiip had a lot of content to catch up on. It's the last couple of sentences that particularly ping for me. It reads to me like he's hedging his vote on EP, as though he knows he'll flip town and wants to distance himself from a bad vote.

##vote Hiipfire

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Okay, deadline is tomorrow night and the next twenty-four hours are busy for me. I like KB's case but I'm also be willing to vote Exakt for stated reasons. I'm giving Manny the benefit of the doubt since it sounds like he has some poo poo goin' on.

##vote Exakt

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Good job idiots you no-lynched, I was out so didn't close the thread. Please submit you night actions now. I will start d3 some time sunday so be prompt!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
"Man I love creeppasta." said merk, while surfing the SCP Foundation website. "Wow here's one about an artifact that makes makes people who are eating while reading about it choke on their food..." merk looked down at their Pot Noodle (c) nervously (are Pot Noodles a brand in the US? If not, it's basically ramen with various flavourings in a plastic pot you add hot water to) "hahaha good thing this isn't rea-*cough cough*

Somberbrero, town cop choked to death on a perfectly normal low quality snack food in a situation that was in no way actually supernatural.

:angel: in memorandum :angel:

RIP Somberbrero, Merk, The Greatest Mafia Champion, it must be true it says so on your avatar and those don’t lie! Your incredible mafia skill and keen lawyer senses makes you a fearsome player capable of peering into the souls of your fellow mafia players, you are a Town Cop.

DAY 3 BEGINS

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

Not Voting (6): Allen Wren, Asiina, EXAKT Science, HiipFire, King Burgundy, MildManeredManikin

With 6 alive, it's 4 votes to lynch. The current deadline is December 09th, 2014 at 10:39 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 15 hours.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
##vote Exakt

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Well, that was lousy. Where was everyone yesterday?

Hiipfire, I don't know why you're voting me right now, especially with no case to accompany the vote. We're in MYLO right now, and with that being the case, your certainty that I'm scum doesn't feel good.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I didn't even realize deadline came up like that. I'm not sure what happened in this here game.

Maybe mafia really is dying. :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I didn't realize our deadline was a weekend one either and I was prepping for a show/performing the last two days so my availability was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Weekends are like mafia-kryptonite. Stop having lives and play my dumb game you jerks!

• Locked thread