Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sirotan posted:

My company pushed out this survey to every employee. I've been nagged to complete it as tomorrow is the last day and I'm off to go and drink a shitload of beers at a Bell's.

Sign in to the page. Says it's confidential, then proceeds to ask me my age, gender, and business unit. Gee, a 30-34yo woman in IT, I wonder who that could be?? Then I'm asked to rate things on an agreement scale, like:

This organization treats employees with respect.
Senior management's actions support this organization's mission and values.
I am proud to tell people I work for this organization.
I would stay with this organization if offered a similar job elsewhere.
I would like to be working at this organization three years from now.

:lol:

Decided to be a rebel and answered 'disagree' to that first one. Too much of a chicken to do more than neutral on the rest though.

That's why you always answer as 25-35 yo white male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cojawfee posted:

That's why you always answer as 25-35 yo white male.

Yeah but see not only am I the only woman in IT right now, I'm the only one in IT right now. So uh. Yeah.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Always answer anonymous demographics information as the CEO.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lord Dudeguy posted:

A four year lease? Is anybody else :stare:ing at this?

Our leases expire every eight hours. That's kind of the point. If it's online, it'll renew just fine. If it's not online, it expires so there's room for the next thing to come online.

Yeah, I'm very confused by the plan and the complaint.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Varkk posted:

I think 7 days is the normal for Windows Server. Usually leave it at that unless you have a small range and a high number of devices joining/leaving the network and you have no addresses available because it is still holding some for a phone which passed by the office 3 days ago.
Anything you don't want to change you put on a reservation anyway.

8 days is default.

Also, with the no-refresh interval being half the lease time, the machines would actually be asking for a new lease in 2 years.

But this still makes absolutely no loving sense. These days even an 8 day lease is too long unless your network is mostly desktops that don't leave/rejoin the network - 8 hours is far better if you have any significant number of laptops (and this is completely excluding the wireless subnet which should probably be more like 2 hours, unless you have a shitload of clients and don't want all that DHCP traffic).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Well, you want to get a long lease to lock in the lower monthly rents for a long time.
Yeah I don't see a problem with this - if you go with the default 7 day lease, it's just going to cost more in the long run once you switch to day to day.

FOUR YEARS, ha ha, how do people get jobs

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

how do people get jobs

nepotism

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sirotan posted:

My company pushed out this survey to every employee. I've been nagged to complete it as tomorrow is the last day and I'm off to go and drink a shitload of beers at a Bell's.

Sign in to the page. Says it's confidential, then proceeds to ask me my age, gender, and business unit. Gee, a 30-34yo woman in IT, I wonder who that could be??

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Today it's me pissing me off. Having a text file of passwords on a network drive finally bit me in the rear end.

Who thinks this is acceptable?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sirotan posted:

Sign in to the page. Says it's confidential, then proceeds to ask me my age, gender, and business unit. Gee, a 30-34yo woman in IT, I wonder who that could be?? Then I'm asked to rate things on an agreement scale, like:

This organization treats employees with respect.
Senior management's actions support this organization's mission and values.
I am proud to tell people I work for this organization.
I would stay with this organization if offered a similar job elsewhere.
I would like to be working at this organization three years from now.

:lol:

Decided to be a rebel and answered 'disagree' to that first one. Too much of a chicken to do more than neutral on the rest though.

Good news! The neutral answers generally convey more dissatisfaction than the positive or negative ones. When I had to do them at my last job we were repeatedly drilled that "don't know means don't care" and that picking neutral options indicated that you were utterly disengaged and disinterested. And companies HATE that, especially when their results are being benchmarked against other companies in the field.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

theperminator posted:

Who thinks this is acceptable?

Sony, apparently: http://gizmodo.com/sony-kept-thousands-of-passwords-in-a-document-marked-1666772286

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

The basics are easy but there is plenty of stuff that just isn't that mainstream. For example, did you know that you if downloaded windows updates seperately and added them to the packages that your installation is going to fail? Its due to some windows updates that were made aren't offline installable. Sometimes these updates are documented, sometimes they aren't, and its basically trial and error to figure out which updates are going to blow up your installation. There are a ton of other things just like that have been bugged for years that they haven't gotten around to fix.

Don't use packages for updates. Use WSUS. Read deploymentresearch.com and deploymenybunny.com for advice from SCCM/MDT MVPs- both of them recommend not using packages for updates because of exactly what you've described.

What I've learned in my short time in IT is that if you are struggling with a relatively mainstream product, someone else has likely struggled before you and posted a workaround somewhere.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Where I work, I've heard that the executives get graded on how many people fill out the yearly "anonymous" survey. (Same thing with the annual charity campaign.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

monster on a stick posted:

Where I work, I've heard that the executives get graded on how many people fill out the yearly "anonymous" survey. (Same thing with the annual charity campaign.)

Does anyone ever actually do anything useful with these surveys?

Pretty much every one I've completed has ended up with 'there are a few areas where we need to work together to improve matters, but overall, we are satisfied with the results' email.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spog posted:

We took them all of the time in the military. Even when the results were dismal, all they did was hold "sensing sessions," which were effectively bitch-fests. And nothing ever got changed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

spog posted:

Pretty much every one I've completed has ended up with 'there are a few areas where we need to work together to improve matters, but overall, we are satisfied with the results' email.

I know of a case where a manager's poll results were so bad, he was kicked out (into another group at the company.) Before he left he burned everyone on their performance reviews. That... sent a message I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spog posted:

Basically that is the only response I have ever seen.

Years back there was a survey that was setup that HR put extra effort into being anonymous. After though there was quite a bit of effort put in to try to figure out who created particular feedback that an exec didn't like. I didn't work on it myself but I was privy to the email chain and the feedback wasn't unprofessional, it just didn't hold back anything and the exec took it personal.

I have always thought it was smarter to always assume that this anonymous survey wasn't really anonymous and act accordingly.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

My company acts on Gallup results. At the local level at least, not sure about what happens at higher levels. Sometimes the action doesn't produce anything of value but we all try.

I thought it was going to be a bullshit survey at first, but I was wrong. I still expect it to be bullshit at most places though.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

meanieface posted:

In other irritating news -- after updating Chrome, ALL sharepoint sites are now displaying fonts incorrectly. It's not comic sans, it's worse, it's some kind of blocky horrid 'cute' font. I ask my coworker if he ever found a way to fix his, nope. I ask the helpguy and he says he's gotten a lot of tickets on it and if I find a solution, let him know. So I ask the sharepoint guy--who says to use IE. :argh:

In case anyone else tumbles into this small hell, disabling direct write in chrome fixes it (for now).
chrome://flags/#disable-direct-write

When I told the helpdesk guy, he said he'd "remember this". I felt like I was getting a promise for a favor from the IT mob. (It was awesome.)

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

psydude posted:

We took them all of the time in the military. Even when the results were dismal, all they did was hold "sensing sessions," which were effectively bitch-fests. And nothing ever got changed.
Sensing session sounds like something you do at midnight with an Ouija Board.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

monster on a stick posted:

When I had direct reports (around 30) at a big company it was part of my metrics (surveys not charity).

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
So I start tearing into this HP system looking to troubleshoot a video card problem, and I'm looking at this machine thinking that they really over engineered this thing. I get and understand airflow and stuff, but drat this thing is heavy with all the plastic internals and poo poo. Hell, there are fans dedicated to certain parts of the case. What ever, unplug this, undo that, chuck the video card (which was huge and heavy for a quadro) into the box with the paper and static bags piled up in case I needed them, aaand I get to hear my boss squeal like a stuck pig. After he caught his breath and I stopped bug eyed staring at him he managed to croak out that I had tossed a $4k something card around.

OOPS.

It still worked, the main issue was resolved by re-seating the card itself as a replacement card had no issues working on the system. And here I thought all the stuff we had in here was sub bargain bin specials. Would have helped if I tried to understand what the system was actually for and how important it was, but all I could think about was fixing the problem and all the steps I would take to make sure the problem was resolved. bleh.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

fromoutofnowhere posted:

So I start tearing into this HP system looking to troubleshoot a video card problem, and I'm looking at this machine thinking that they really over engineered this thing. I get and understand airflow and stuff, but drat this thing is heavy with all the plastic internals and poo poo. Hell, there are fans dedicated to certain parts of the case. What ever, unplug this, undo that, chuck the video card (which was huge and heavy for a quadro) into the box with the paper and static bags piled up in case I needed them, aaand I get to hear my boss squeal like a stuck pig. After he caught his breath and I stopped bug eyed staring at him he managed to croak out that I had tossed a $4k something card around.

OOPS.

It still worked, the main issue was resolved by re-seating the card itself as a replacement card had no issues working on the system. And here I thought all the stuff we had in here was sub bargain bin specials. Would have helped if I tried to understand what the system was actually for and how important it was, but all I could think about was fixing the problem and all the steps I would take to make sure the problem was resolved. bleh.

Honestly, in my opinion, if someone handed me a desktop machine, I would assume at most it's worth 400-800 unless otherwise noted, I don't mean that I would beat it up and poo poo, but I wouldn't treat the machine like it was worth $4000+ unless explicitly told that it was $SUPERIMPORTANTEXPENSIVEHEAPOFSHIT$$$$$

Although I've never worked anywhere that has engineers/graphic artists/movie developers etc on staff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I still don't throw parts around unless I'm dumping them into the trash.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'll teach you guys the same lesson I'll teach my children. Is it yours? It's not? Then treat it with respect.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You haven't lived until you've supported a 70 pound, 2U, $70,000 piece of hardware with one hand while you tried to line up the pins to rack it with the other.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Not pissing me off: http://thedoomthatcametopuppet.tumblr.com/ Markov chains trained by H.P. Lovecraft and the Puppet Documentation.

“At times I feel uncomfortably sure that I was a sysadmin by trade”

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

“A provider’s main job is to read the abhorred Necronomicon”

Story of my life

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

fromoutofnowhere posted:

chuck the video card (which was huge and heavy for a quadro) into the box with the paper and static bags piled up in case I needed them

And here I thought all the stuff we had in here was sub bargain bin specials.

Good lord, does your company rain hardware like confetti?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

psydude posted:

You haven't lived until you've supported a 70 pound, 2U, $70,000 piece of hardware with one hand while you tried to line up the pins to rack it with the other.

Challenge mode: Do this, but with a heart condition, wearing a "life vest" that's basically a wearable AED, and a five-pound lifting restriction because nobody else is available to help.

So glad I'm not wearing that loving vest - Or manhandling hardware - anymore.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dick Trauma posted:

Spent part of the day contacting all my vendors to let them know that I've left the company and will be keeping them in mind when I find my next job. Done LinkedIn out the wazoo, sent out about 20 requests to my network for recommendations.

Don't forget the it jobs sticky thread here!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I don't know if this is more for Software Engineers, but updating your resume on LinkedIn makes the recruiters jump out of the woodwork.

This happens to me, but all recruiters are poo poo so I usually end up telling them some really high rate to see if they'll bite. Sorry cheap fucks I'm not looking to be your catchall admin for $12/hr.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sylink posted:

This happens to me, but all recruiters are poo poo so I usually end up telling them some really high rate to see if they'll bite. Sorry cheap fucks I'm not looking to be your catchall admin for $12/hr.

I put into my profile as the first line "if you want me to pay attention, use the word <uncommon code word> so that I know you're actually reading my profile. If you don't use this word, I'll just trash your spam."

It actually works. The recruiters who offer me interesting things relevant to my experience use the code word and I at least respond to thank them for that. The ones who send me spaghetti-at-the-wall garbage filter out nicely.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Pretty sure I just applied for the VP of IT job that made me quit. :laugh:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

A four year lease? Is anybody else :stare:ing at this?

Our leases expire every eight hours. That's kind of the point. If it's online, it'll renew just fine. If it's not online, it expires so there's room for the next thing to come online.

To clarify on this:

I don't know what the actual DHCP lease timeout or duration is, but what we're setting for 4 years is just something that says "This IP belongs to this MAC Address for up to the next 4 years". After that hold expires, the lease gets removed from the database entirely, causing the system to lose it's IP reservation.

I really don't know how the system works since:

A) I don't have access to the backend (I don't even know what the software is)
B) Half the UI is in Chinese anyways.

Apparently "we" (Our Network Engineer) chose this as the defacto method of tracking IP addresses within our network.

Best part? If someone configures a static IP address in the same range as the DHCP scope, the system doesn't know about it and will let you assign a DHCP address for the same IP to a different machine.

That's going to be fun when someone fucks it up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You should really read a networking book or something.

Does this program delete the IP assignment or just the lease? The former sounds retarded. When the dhcp lease expires, the computer asks the server for a new IP. The dhcp server just gives it the same IP again for the next big guess four years.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 6, 2014

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Pretty sure I just applied for the VP of IT job that made me quit. :laugh:

:getin:

As for the engagement survey stuff, it seems my company does it right. For one thing we always score consistently higher than other companies in everything. And right now on our intranet page is a big list of things from last years survey that didn't get scored as well as others, in a "You said..." "So we did..." format. I do really like working here.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Wicaeed posted:

Best part? If someone configures a static IP address in the same range as the DHCP scope, the system doesn't know about it and will let you assign a DHCP address for the same IP to a different machine.

This is static addressing in the worst way possible. How does a network engineer not know how to subnet?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

To clarify on this:

I don't know what the actual DHCP lease timeout or duration is, but what we're setting for 4 years is just something that says "This IP belongs to this MAC Address for up to the next 4 years". After that hold expires, the lease gets removed from the database entirely, causing the system to lose it's IP reservation.

I really don't know how the system works since:

A) I don't have access to the backend (I don't even know what the software is)
B) Half the UI is in Chinese anyways.

Apparently "we" (Our Network Engineer) chose this as the defacto method of tracking IP addresses within our network.

That's still not how DHCP works, and when "someone configures a static IP address" that shouldn't be done on the client; you should be using a DHCP reservation on the DHCP server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Someone doesn't know how DHCP works and I'm not entirely sure it's just the "network engineer".