Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

Frank-Paul Nuuausala is off to Canberra. How was Ricky Stuart able to convince someone to play for him, and why did the Cunts let him go?

He's been a bit anonymous in recent seasons at Bondi with Cordner, Guerra, Hargreaves etc coming through, maybe he wants to be the big fish in a small pond?

Warriors signed Johnathon Wright :geno:, reasonable depth contract I suppose, also 1 year contract so if he bombs at least we're not making a Nielsen level mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Smorgasbord posted:

Warriors signed Johnathon Wright :geno:, reasonable depth contract I suppose, also 1 year contract so if he bombs at least we're not making a Nielsen level mistake.

With all the talk about Matai and Foran to then go and sign Bodene Thompson, Api Pewhairangi and Wright has been kind of underwhelming.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Red_Museum posted:

Api Pewhairangi

I had to Google this one.

Wright is good for bench depth. I have to say I'm pretty pleased that we managed to palm off Nielsen, Bukuya and Mateo, although the last one might come back to haunt us.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

One day I dream that the tigers will sign someone. Or anyone.

We are going to be hosed if we get injuries next year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

We are going to be hosed next year.

More likely.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

We are going to next year.

Don't count on it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Don't count on it.

I'm expecting the rebirth of the Magpies any day now, since Balmain are a bunch of non-functional imbeciles who can't do anything right.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

With all the talk about Matai and Foran to then go and sign Bodene Thompson, Api Pewhairangi and Wright has been kind of underwhelming.

Honestly I'm not familiar with any of the guys we've signed. Thompson had a good season right? No idea who Api Pewhairangi is and Wright was at the Sharks...anyone want to give me the rundown?

Also with the players we've let go surely we have a sizeable kitty to blow on someone who is actually qualified talent?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Honestly I'm not familiar with any of the guys we've signed. Thompson had a good season right? No idea who Api Pewhairangi is and Wright was at the Sharks...anyone want to give me the rundown?

Also with the players we've let go surely we have a sizeable kitty to blow on someone who is actually qualified talent?

Thompson had a really good season last year, impact 2nd rower. Pewhairangi is a young kiwi centre who also played a bit of 5/8, didn't make much of an impact in first grade at Parramatta, probably a cheap punt so no big deal. Basically same story with Matt Allwood, just young cheap centre depth that may pan out but no big loss if not. Johnathon Wright is a journeyman centre, has played 91 games of first grade without really sticking out as particularly good or bad. I imagine those 3 will be in NSW Cup vying for an Fisiahi/Laumape's first grade spots. Wright probably has inside running due to experience. Thompson will be in our top 17 week 1, likely as top bench 2nd rower behind Mannering, Hoffman, Henry vying with Ikahihifo for game time.

We also signed Ryan Hoffman but I guess you probably know who he is and just forgot we got him.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 4, 2014

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Hoffman and Mannering are no brainer 80 minute players. Hoffman ties up one of the back row spots, Mannering can shift between back row and lock. Ideally I would have Thompson, Henry and Ikahihifo making up the remaining time at lock and back row.

I was hoping that Allwood was going to be a useful player, but now I'm resigned to him being bench depth at best. Hearing that he quietly got sacked by Canberra for drinking, much like the centre we quietly got rid of, is a huge concern. With Allwood, Wright and Peyroux we have our depth centres sorted, but I would have liked to have seen someone better come in to put pressure on Laumape and Hurrell for the centre positions.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Reports are that Darius Boyd is out for 6 months to a year because of a snapped Achilles.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Poor guy, not what he needed after all his struggles last year.

Broncos have almost cleared the deck of ready replacements too with Barba and Hoffman off.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel bad for him

But I'm laughing at the Broncos

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Maybe Hodges can get in some high ball practice time before the next season.

And all the other stuff too

gently caress

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bowmore posted:

Reports are that Darius Boyd is out for 6 months to a year because of a snapped Achilles.

The Roar is saying 9 months. The Broncos can go loving die for all I care, but I'm disappointed for the Maroons.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I for one welcome our new cockroach overlords.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

The Roar is saying 9 months. The Broncos can go loving die for all I care, but I'm disappointed for the Maroons.

I still maintain Boyd is not that good. Better at origin level than NRL definitely, but he's hardly a superstar.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

I for one welcome our new cockroach overlords.

Don't worry, we will lose 3-0 next year, easily.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Boyd did the job in Origin, but he never seemed like anything special. Losing Tate might be a bigger deal for Queensland.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Because Tate plays with heart

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

As someone who snapped their Achilles there is no way Boyd will be back in six months. It's a terrible loving injury. I didn't get back playing football for well over a year. Admittedly I didn't have the medical care that will be avauilable to Boyd nor am I a professional athlete but I'd be very surprised if you see much of him at all next season if those reports are correct.

Also Hoffman is a great signing. Warriors are always better with an old Australian in the forwards (Luck, Pricey)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hoffman is arguably the best signing of 2015

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

bowmore posted:

Hoffman is arguably the best signing of 2015

George Rose

... ;)

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Jubilee Oval pies set to expand in 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Ewar Woowar posted:

As someone who snapped their Achilles there is no way Boyd will be back in six months. It's a terrible loving injury. I didn't get back playing football for well over a year. Admittedly I didn't have the medical care that will be avauilable to Boyd nor am I a professional athlete but I'd be very surprised if you see much of him at all next season if those reports are correct.
Hodges came back from his second achilles in ~7 months I believe, and he's older and far more injury prone than Boyd. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a return mid-season.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Either way he's gone for most of the season.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Round 1. Knights vs Warriors at Hunter stadium, bring it on!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Greg Bird celebrated his wedding by pissing on a cop car. I suppose it's better than glassing his missus.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes, but they haven't had the honeymoon yet.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
How happy do you reckon Robbie Rochow was when his sister brought her new bf round and saw Bird grinning at him.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

How happy do you reckon Robbie Rochow was when his sister brought her new bf round and saw Bird grinning at him.

Depends on how long it was since his last call to Gids I suppose.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Speaking of gently caress ups in the NRL, apparently former Warrior and current prisoner Russell Packer has signed with St. George-Illawara a few months ago and none of us apparently noticed?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure that's just a rumour at this stage. And more importantly, any contract he signs would be subject to NRL registration. I would expect them to stand him down for at least half a season.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tigers have released their 9s jerseys and they're singlets :wtc:

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014/12/09/wests_tigers_launch_.html

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Tigers have released their 9s jerseys and they're singlets :wtc:

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014/12/09/wests_tigers_launch_.html

Board couldn't agree on orange or black sleeves.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Board couldn't afford sleeves.

Fixed that for you.

And in Greg Bird is a loving moron news, he's claiming that he wasn't pissing on the cop car, but rather between his car and the cop car. Which makes it totally ok. I'm expecting the cop car to get fined any day now for obstructing an Origin Superstar's urine.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jono C posted:

Fixed that for you.

And in Greg Bird is a loving moron news, he's claiming that he wasn't pissing on the cop car, but rather between his car and the cop car. Which makes it totally ok. I'm expecting the cop car to get fined any day now for obstructing an Origin Superstar's urine.

Was a person in a maroon shirt arrested for being nearby a illegal thing happening?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
In an act of futility the Bears having a sniff of re-entry seem to be ramping up their activities.

Shame any expansion will be Perth and Brisbane II.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Was Will Hopoate adopted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Looks like Channel 9 will finally be showing the Sunday matches live.

• Locked thread