Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah the most interesting part about that documentary is seeing all those war criminals talk freely about what they've done.

Growing up in the 90's I sort of vaguely recall the wars in Yugoslavia but I do remember the trials in The Hague so it was weird to see people like Karadzic, Mladic and Milosevic speak so freely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have 0 point of reference for anything about that. Can't wait to read up about it after this 5 hour behemoth.

On that note, what are the more notable animal documentaries? Just the ones BBC does (planet earth, africa etc?)

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Does anyone here speak the languages? Some comments are saying the translations are wrong, but i'm not sure if it's the usual youtube idiocy or a problem with the the video. Seems like getting the unaltered words of the people involved would be very important here.

Edit: Huh, so this was actually used in the trials and this was pointed out. I guess it can't have been too misleading considering the doc is so highly regarded.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 7, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Back To 99 posted:

Does anyone here speak the languages? Some comments are saying the translations are wrong, but i'm not sure if it's the usual youtube idiocy or a problem with the the video. Seems like getting the unaltered words of the people involved would be very important here.

Edit: Huh, so this was actually used in the trials and this was pointed out. I guess it can't have been too misleading considering the doc is so highly regarded.
Interesting, can you elaborate?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interesting, can you elaborate?

Wikipedia cites an example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Yugoslavia

It's definitely a shame because it's an absolutely extraordinary piece of work otherwise. And if you like the style, well worth checking out Norma Percy's other documentaries. Seen the Iraq, Iran and Russia ones and they're all very solid (although the Yugoslavia one is still the best).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Her Camp David doc is very good. I always feel like if someone could do justice to Rwanda's 90's crisis, it would be her.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I watched American: The Bill Hicks Story last night and enjoyed that quite a bit. I'd never heard of it before. Any other good documentaries about stand up comedians? I saw the one on Richard Pryor.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched American: The Bill Hicks Story last night and enjoyed that quite a bit. I'd never heard of it before. Any other good documentaries about stand up comedians? I saw the one on Richard Pryor.

Comedian is the best comedy documentary.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Comedian is the best comedy documentary.

You're talking about teh Seinfeld one, right? I saw that one and, yes, it was good. I liked the Bill Hicks one because you got to the know the man a little bit and I appreciated the clever way the graphics department wove old polaroids and poo poo into the narrative.

I'd be interested to see movies that take a similiar approach, especially to comedians with a dark side (most of them). Like a documentary on Lenny Bruce, Sam Kinison or Mitch Hedberg would pretty awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's a documentary on iTunes called The Bitter Buddha about Eddie Pepitone. He's a terrific comedian. Watch it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What could you do? The simplest thing you could say is that it benefits an awful lot of people to maintain instability and weak states in Central Africa, and it's complex because a lot of the weak actors in that region see it that way, as well.

I mean if you believe in capitalism as a mechanism for social change you can just not buy anything with diamonds, gold, platinum, miniaturized electronics, bauxite, stainless steel...well, actually just don't buy things.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Since "Annie" is back in the news, I'm gonna re-plug one of my favorite documentaries, "Life After Tomorrow".

It's all about the girls who were in the original Broadway and touring productions of the show, now all grown up and reflecting. They had the most extraordinary experience a kid could imagine, they lived the dream for a year or two—and then all of a sudden they were too old (or the show simply closed) and they were regular kids again.

Ever wonder what it's like to be twenty, thirty, forty and scared you peaked at ten?

This is one of the finest portraits you'll ever see of life in the arts—the whiplash between the big highs and the crashing lows, the pain that sets in when a good thing is over and the little scratchy feeling that some of us get that tells us we're not cut out for normal lives. (Plus, there's a lot of crazy stories from the road.) And because the film is directed by a former "Annie" orphan herself, the interviews are candid and heartfelt—you feel like you're getting the inside scoop.

You don't have to be a fan of "Annie" (I'm not) to enjoy it. It's not really about the show, anyway. It's about how something extraordinary can come into your life, shape it and then go away—well, to quote one of my favorite books, Darin Strauss's "Half a Life", "Things don't go away. They become you."

It's everything from cute to funny to heartbreaking. Oh, and it's free to watch on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/174634

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I wrapped up watching The Sorrow and the Pity yesterday, which was pretty excellent. On an informational level it was fairly overwhelming because my frame of reference for the Western side of things in WWII was limited (I had never heard of the attack on Mers-el-Kébir before, :psyduck:), but I never really felt completely in the dark. Despite plenty of challenges to the historiography of Occupied France, I think it's to the film's great advantage that it never becomes truly didactic. This aim becomes crystal-clear towards the end when Anthony Eden strongly contends that anybody who wasn't there can't pass judgment. At the same time, for all the moral gray areas of existing under occupation, France is pretty goddamn lucky that history didn't take a spotlight to their complicity in Jewish persecution.

Cinematically, I'm always captivated by early(ish) direct cinema technique, and it's especially enrapturing when it's mostly an oral history of WWII. It makes a world of difference to see a person interviewed within their own environment, like a farmhouse or a ritzy foyer, as opposed to some stale studio with a monotone backdrop. It's also fascinating when contrasted against found footage of German/French propaganda of the time. The clashing of myth and reality somehow results in some potent emotional affect.

So yeah, good stuff.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Icon-Cat posted:

Since "Annie" is back in the news, I'm gonna re-plug one of my favorite documentaries, "Life After Tomorrow".

You don't have to be a fan of "Annie" (I'm not) to enjoy it. It's not really about the show, anyway. It's about how something extraordinary can come into your life, shape it and then go away—well, to quote one of my favorite books, Darin Strauss's "Half a Life", "Things don't go away. They become you."

It's everything from cute to funny to heartbreaking. Oh, and it's free to watch on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/174634
This was fun. Thanks!

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

That was great. Ended up finding this one too, Milosevic on Trial. Pretty much self explanatory, it's composed of court footage from the trial. Easily available online.

Does anyone have any more interesting depressing documentaries about the breakup/fallout of Yugoslavia?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nofeed posted:

That was great. Ended up finding this one too, Milosevic on Trial. Pretty much self explanatory, it's composed of court footage from the trial. Easily available online.

Does anyone have any more interesting depressing documentaries about the breakup/fallout of Yugoslavia?

Indirectly, there's an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary called Once Brothers about Serbian Vlade Divac and Croatian Drazen Petrovic. They played together on the Yugoslavian national basketball team, which was one of the best in the world and the 1988 silver medalists. They entered the NBA together as friends and had a falling out during the wars in Yugoslavia, for obvious reasons. It's a very emotional doc, and one of my favorite 30 for 30s. A much more intimate look at the cost of the war when it comes to old friendships. On Netflix.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Charlie Brooker with a Adam Curtis segment, pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EoNsGHZD0

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
People talking about Quantitative Easing like it's some kind of mysterious dark art is really annoying.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
Finally found both parts to one of my favorite documentaries. It's called One Year In a Life of Crime. It follows three career criminals in Newark durring the late 80's and early 90's.

Part one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLIz4Ga3SQM

Part two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU1oONLlDVg

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I loved Conan O' Brien Can't Stop. It's less about Conan and more about the compulsion to perform.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
A documentary about the Canadian accent vs the American one. Warning: it's full of generalizations, both on the Canadian and U.S. sides, so it's to be taken with a grain of salt. Stay away if you're autistic or OCD or something. :v: Interesting nonetheless, there are real bits to be learned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoTpkM5N64

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eh?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Watched - or tried to watch - Leviathan, the recent acclaimed documentary about the sea.

It's incredibly numbing. Five minutes filming a murky indistinct sea in the dark, no idea what was happening. Then we stick a camera in a tank of dying fish and let them wash backwards and forth across the lens. Oh look, that fish is alive. Wait, not any more. Keep filming. Now lets focus on scraps of gutted fish rolling across the deck. Yup. Look at that dead fish. Yup.

I guess it succeeded in communicating the scope and alien nature of the sea, but it was just deadening. Has anyone watched this all the way through?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw Dinosaur 13 and thought it was really good. As someone who doesn't know much about Sue or the story surrounding it, it certainly had an impact. Pretty impressive how it made me feel bad for a creature that's been dead for 65-odd million years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

outlier posted:

Watched - or tried to watch - Leviathan, the recent acclaimed documentary about the sea.

It's incredibly numbing. Five minutes filming a murky indistinct sea in the dark, no idea what was happening. Then we stick a camera in a tank of dying fish and let them wash backwards and forth across the lens. Oh look, that fish is alive. Wait, not any more. Keep filming. Now lets focus on scraps of gutted fish rolling across the deck. Yup. Look at that dead fish. Yup.

I guess it succeeded in communicating the scope and alien nature of the sea, but it was just deadening. Has anyone watched this all the way through?

A few times. It's loving great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

Just saw Dinosaur 13 and thought it was really good. As someone who doesn't know much about Sue or the story surrounding it, it certainly had an impact. Pretty impressive how it made me feel bad for a creature that's been dead for 65-odd million years.

Oh snap, there's a doc about Sue? I loved seeing her at the Children's Museum as a kid in Indianapolis!

Definitely checking this doc out.

EDIT: Blah, Googling around shows what I saw as a kid was only a full-scale replica. Oh well, still definitely watching this doc.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, the real Sue is currently in Chicago. But I'd say the story of how she got there is well worth a watch.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

outlier posted:

I watched it a week or two ago and thought it was excellent, like the cinematic equivalent of a black metal album. As a whole it was really visceral yet beautiful, while the nighttime scenes are more thrilling than any thriller I've seen for ages -- the scene attached to one of the chains as it went off the back of the boat was absolutely loving terrifying because I didn't realise it had switched perspective away from one of the camera's attached to the guy's head.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Recently watched Private Violence, about a domestic violence advocate in North Carolina fighting to prosecute a guy who kidnapped and beat his wife for four days nearly to death but avoided any jail time.

Mostly explores how a society that's getting better at recognizing the issues of domestic violence still struggles with jurisprudence, and directly addresses issues of "why didn't she leave earlier?" etc.

While a lot of it is fairly straightforward and just interesting to know, the movie opens with a thrilling scene where a woman in a shelter is being stalked by her ex. That scene alone earned the next 30 minutes of the movie. But the no-narration, no title cards, camera guy trying to keep up as people walk around-thing is one of my favorite doc styles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cocoa Ninja posted:

While a lot of it is fairly straightforward and just interesting to know, the movie opens with a thrilling scene where a woman in a shelter is being stalked by her ex. That scene alone earned the next 30 minutes of the movie. But the no-narration, no title cards, camera guy trying to keep up as people walk around-thing is one of my favorite doc styles.

Seen Citizenfour?

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008

outlier posted:

I sometimes put it on as I go to sleep, I find the narrationless sounds of the sea soothing.

But I keep having these weird euphoric dreams where I'm a fish swimming to the bottom of the sea, I have this conversation with a murky silhouette of tentacles in an alien language and then I wake up covered in seaweed and ownerless body parts.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Seen Citizenfour?

No, although I loved the trailer. Anywhere online to watch it? I'm in LA but it's only playing in a couple theaters.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009
Someone I know mentioned that he wants to see a documentary about psychedelics, does that topic have any go-to movies? Preferably one that doesn't focus entirely on the hippie movement, though whatevs is fine, really.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

outlier posted:

I read the first line of this post shortly after watching the more recent movie of the same name and was really confused.

Nice Shirt posted:

Someone I know mentioned that he wants to see a documentary about psychedelics, does that topic have any go-to movies? Preferably one that doesn't focus entirely on the hippie movement, though whatevs is fine, really.

Enter the Void, effectively.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Nice Shirt posted:

DMT the Spirit Molecule is a fantastic one, (it's on Netflix) although it's only about DMT. There is a new one called Neurons to Nirvana, which is about all of the different psychedelics and their medical/psychiatric uses. I haven't watched this one yet. The only other one I have seen is Ayahuasca: Vine of the Soul, which follows some Americans doing ayahuasca in the jungle. It's very good.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.

appleskates posted:

There is a new one called Neurons to Nirvana, which is about all of the different psychedelics and their medical/psychiatric uses.

This seems like it might be exactly what he was looking for. Will check it out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cocoa Ninja posted:

No, although I loved the trailer. Anywhere online to watch it? I'm in LA but it's only playing in a couple theaters.

Go see it.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Any recommendations for docs on the Taiping Rebellion?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Waarg posted:

Any recommendations for docs on the Taiping Rebellion?

Odd, I was thinking about trying to look around the internet for that or more modern conflicts in Imperial era China. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SeanBeansShako posted:

Odd, I was thinking about trying to look around the internet for that or more modern conflicts in Imperial era China. Any suggestions?

http://vimeo.com/94828509