Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

theflyingexecutive posted:

we've dolphinately established that he's a poor writer, which makes me doubt his Harvard credentials immensely as well

to be fair the twinkletoes twins are harvard alum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/bitcoin-boy-erik-finman.html there are so many great (read: bad, horrible, terrible, disgusting) things in this article please read all of them thank you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he's not attending harvard, he's working there part time. my guess is in the custodial department

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anthonypants posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/bitcoin-boy-erik-finman.html there are so many great (read: bad, horrible, terrible, disgusting) things in this article please read all of them thank you
In pictures, Erik can look small and chipmunk-cheeked, a baby-faced nerd, but he is nearly six feet tall and lean, thanks most recently to the Paleo diet. His hair is thick and mussed (“I have a man crush on Andrew Garfield”) owing to his No Poo regimen (he hasn’t washed it in a year), which he learned about on Reddit. He wears a steel Pebble smartwatch. Far from being an awkward code jockey, he is wry and outgoing. He boasts about the “two-pack” he briefly had.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

@nicsho
Been working on a Coinbase article for 3 weeks now. Almost ready to publish.
11:48am - 5 Dec 14

ugh he is the poop

also he definitely had something about being a Harvard journalism phd candidate in progress

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Harvard Upstairs Journalism College

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
I'm going to start a series of for-profit schools named "Harverd", "Yalle", "Prinseton", etc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus4994 posted:

I'm going to start a series of for-profit schools named "Harverd", "Yalle", "Prinseton", etc.
"Ya'lle"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2oe2x5/my_ten_year_old_son_submitted_a_rough_draft_of_a/

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

the fact that redditors, the people that thought sexualizing 12 year old girls and stealing celebrities' nude pics as being "free speech", are calling him on his bullshit should be enough to drive this guy to suicide

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
idk what's going on anymore, i figured since i haven't had much time to devote to posting articles someone else coming in would be a nice break and welp i was pretty wrong

FCKGW please do the needful

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know more than a few yosposters offered to shoulder some of the buttcoin burden if that's what you're concerned about

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

killhamster posted:

idk what's going on anymore, i figured since i haven't had much time to devote to posting articles someone else coming in would be a nice break and welp i was pretty wrong

FCKGW please do the needful

you weren't wrong, you just happened to pick someone with the writing skills of a third grader

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
maybe brian boyko wants to write for buttcoin

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

theflyingexecutive posted:

@nicsho
Been working on a Coinbase article for 3 weeks now. Almost ready to publish.
11:48am - 5 Dec 14

ugh he is the poop

also he definitely had something about being a Harvard journalism phd candidate in progress

Harvard doesn't offer any degrees in journalism. Unless he means the Harvard School of Podiatry ("Green Acres" represent!)

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

except for one guy posted:

My grasp on reality is not the issue here, nor is the friendliness of OP. My point in suggesting to look at his profile is more about his 12,000+ comment points and the fact that he mods 3 subreddits. This is a type of internet credibility, certainly as compared with a throwaway account. Each person will make the decision to believe him or not, based on the evidence (fabricated or not) and their personal opinions.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

AlbieQuirky posted:

Harvard doesn't offer any degrees in journalism. Unless he means the Harvard School of Podiatry ("Green Acres" represent!)

lol you're actually right

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/degrees-programs/journalism

It's the extension school that gives journalism degrees, not actual "Harvard University in Cambridge, MA"

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > Buttcoin: This *is* a type of internet credibility

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Proteus4994 posted:

It's the extension school that gives journalism degrees, not actual "Harvard University in Cambridge, MA"

the extension school gives actual harvard degrees though, not harvard* degrees

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i for one think this whole thing is hilarious

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Proteus4994 posted:

this is exactly the thing some tech startup ceo got in trouble for, claiming he went to Harvard when it was actually the extension school

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://valleywag.gawker.com/how-to-apologize-like-a-silicon-valley-dirtbag-1633109513

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Lastly, this has been one of the most difficult times of my adult life, and has forced me to go through a painful amount of introspection. Through this process, there was one example of rule bending I wish I could take back. Before Amicus, I was enrolled in the bachelor’s degree program at the Extension School at Harvard University – a small program with a few hundred graduates a year. At the time, I considered it a good hack, as I was getting, as the New York Times put it “Harvard at a fraction of the cost.” I even played for the Harvard Chess Team, including traveling with them twice for competitions in China.

Eventually I dropped out to pursue the startup full time. Partly for convenience and partly to make for a good story, I would often say I dropped out of “Harvard University.” The fact that this was technically true allowed me to rationalize the statement to myself. But in saying it this way, I gave people the impression that I had dropped out of Harvard College (à la Zuckerberg and Gates), which was not the case.

At some point a friend called me out on this, so I started being more clear. It felt good to do so, and the press coverage of Amicus that mentioned I went to the Extension School wasn’t any less compelling for it. But the damage was done, and I often fell back into old habits. To cause people to think I didn’t get a degree from one school at Harvard when, in reality, I didn’t get a degree from a different school at Harvard is the height of absurdity. I’d sacrificed my credibility for little benefit other a sense of false prestige and a sexy line in a press story.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
i have no idea what this website is but :iia:

quote:

A prayer to St. Michael To remove a Anal Ghost:

† Oh great Angel St. Michael hear my prayer.

Please in your divine justice and wisdom remove this ghost that infest my bowels and anus.

Remove this foul ghost from me as you did the Devil from Heaven.

In your wisdom bless me and free me from this evil affliction now and forever.

† Amen

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

why did i take another look at this guy's twitter

for context: after his first tweets about that debate i sent him an email with the question "What on earth is making you touch this crap?" and he said "Yeah, I kinda had a feeling it was a bad idea. And I seriously didn't mean for it to go that way." i figured that he got the message and that was that but nope CLEARLY i was just telling him not to write an article about it but to go full retard on twitter??!

Is he going to backtrace someone through the internet :ohdear:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
please replace nicsho with the dude who wrote that fake essay

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Powershift posted:

Is he going to backtrace someone through the internet :ohdear:

when he looks at the screen, he sees blond, brunette, train-top foot chase

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

killhamster posted:

i hear magikarpeles has some free time these days

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

evilweasel posted:

the extension school gives actual harvard degrees though, not harvard* degrees

like, the degree might come from actual Harvard but if it says "Harvard Extension" anywhere on it, it might as well be toilet paper

If it doesn't, though, then I'll give the dude the benefit of the doubt

e: and come to think of it, even the degree wording wouldn't necessarily matter because, at least in my experience, most jobs want to see a transcript which gives it away immediately

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

jony ive aces posted:

i hear magikarpeles has some free time these days

i'm p sure a tibanne gimmick account that consists entirely of "meow bitcoins" would generate better articles than nischo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus4994 posted:

i'm p sure a tibanne gimmick account that consists entirely of "meow bitcoins" would generate better articles than nischo.
fckgw please do the needful

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

anthonypants posted:

everything about this is terrible

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Proteus4994 posted:

this is a good idea

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
as in "i might have some free time this weekend and will do it just to see"

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

having karples write a piece for the buttcoin foundation would anger so many

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Proteus4994 posted:

like, the degree might come from actual Harvard but if it says "Harvard Extension" anywhere on it, it might as well be toilet paper

If it doesn't, though, then I'll give the dude the benefit of the doubt

e: and come to think of it, even the degree wording wouldn't necessarily matter because, at least in my experience, most jobs want to see a transcript which gives it away immediately

it doesn't, a harvard extension school diploma is indistinguishable from an attended harvard normally diploma, it's pretty well known in cambridge and boston how this works but not elsewhere so if you want to run this scam be sure to apply outside of boston

that said yes anyone who thinks you went to the real thing is going to be mighty peeved and not really interested to hear how this wasn't actually lying you have the literal diploma you put on your resume you just got it a different way than everyone assumed :sun:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nicsho fits the bill of a genuine bitcoiner.

I would check the buttcoin foundation laughchain coldwallets to make sure all the comedy gold is still there.

Pocket posted:

an OJ style "IF I DID IT" piece. With foreword by tibbane thecat

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pocket posted:

:allears:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I'll start the kickstarter

Adbot