Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

I think this case is a strange example of a miscarriage of justice that happened to get the right guy.

+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

African AIDS cum posted:

How would any of this pop culture ephemera be relevant to a case tried in 2000? Explain.

The point I was making was in the fifteen years since the conviction the culture of America has switched to be more prosecutorial than defensive

So when they're interviewed fifteen years later that's how the jurors come across as sure that he did it

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Blue Star Error posted:

I think this case is a strange example of a miscarriage of justice that happened to get the right guy.
If you give him the presumption of innocence, what piece of evidence makes you think Adnan was involved in the murder?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Toxxupation posted:

The point I was making was in the fifteen years since the conviction the culture of America has switched to be more prosecutorial than defensive

So when they're interviewed fifteen years later that's how the jurors come across as sure that he did it

Kind of a flimsy theory

cams
Mar 28, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Same here my friend

cams posted:

If you give him the presumption of innocence, what piece of evidence makes you think Adnan was involved in the murder?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Call it a mothers intuition

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

He's so innocent sounding I believe he has to be guilty. You are falling right into his sociopathic trap, I believe.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

boring

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Someone killed Hae Lee and if you can't see that it was Adnan well he's pulling the sheep (no pun intended) over youre eyes folks

cams
Mar 28, 2003

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Someone killed Hae Lee and if you can't see that it was Adnan well he's pulling the sheep (no pun intended) over youre eyes folks
it's super convenient that the guy they completely lucked into locking up based on zero evidence or actual motive ended up being the supervillian mastermind that had been fooling every single person in his life

thank god that known liar and psychopath came forward and told the police the truth

i love when the system works

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was me. I killed Hae Lee. But I only did it because she was actually a vampire.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

cams posted:

it's super convenient that the guy they completely lucked into locking up based on zero evidence or actual motive ended up being the supervillian mastermind that had been fooling every single person in his life

thank god that known liar and psychopath came forward and told the police the truth

i love when the system works

The lord works in mysterious ways sometimes things fall into your lap I don't know what to say

It's quite clear to anyone who has studied basic mental illnesses you can easily tell he is a psychopath, just as I have and continue to diagnose myself with various diseases

cams
Mar 28, 2003

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The lord works in mysterious ways sometimes things fall into your lap I don't know what to say

It's quite clear to anyone who has studied basic mental illnesses you can easily tell he is a psychopath, just as I have and continue to diagnose myself with various diseases
boooooring

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Adnan would kill again if he were released.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

But then he'd get insta-stabbed by the crowd of Internet sleuths following him around at every moment for the rest of his life so it'd all even out in the end

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

One thing the podcast does a bad job at is illustrating how different the late 90's were compared to now in regards to everyone being connected with cell phones and teens having far less independence now. To picture a current teenager pulling off a crime like this is a big ask because many of them don't even have drivers licenses and are just buried in their smart phones 24/7. It was a different time.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

To be fair, he does sound like he isn't doing too bad in prison this is disgusting

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

cams posted:

Based on the evidence presented in the podcast, if I was on the jury there is no way I would have found him guilty. But in my mind there is a difference between the amount of evidence I'd need to see to put a man into the American prison system for life, and the amount I'd need to say "I reckon he did it".

Unless you want to add in the ridiculous amount of complication neccessary to implicate a third party, there's only really two suspects, Adnan and Jay, and for it to be Jay, you have to suppose that he's a mastermind of criminal planning that committed a murder with bugger all motive, and he's clearly not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blue Star Error posted:

Based on the evidence presented in the podcast, if I was on the jury there is no way I would have found him guilty. But in my mind there is a difference between the amount of evidence I'd need to see to put a man into the American prison system for life, and the amount I'd need to say "I reckon he did it".

Unless you want to add in the ridiculous amount of complication neccessary to implicate a third party, there's only really two suspects, Adnan and Jay, and for it to be Jay, you have to suppose that he's a mastermind of criminal planning that committed a murder with bugger all motive, and he's clearly not.

Why does everyone keep saying Jay would have to be a mastermind to come up with "No, I didn't do it. Her ex-boyfriend did it!" when the cops came to talk to him? And then having a story that was more full of holes than swiss cheese? The first part is basically the most obvious thing possible to deflect attention, and the second is proof that he's a really, really terrible liar not a "criminal mastermind."

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Someone made a short documentary about that Witman case. Worth a watch. http://vimeo.com/66520133

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 5, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

TheJoker138 posted:

Why does everyone keep saying Jay would have to be a mastermind to come up with "No, I didn't do it. Her ex-boyfriend did it!" when the cops came to talk to him? And then having a story that was more full of holes than swiss cheese? The first part is basically the most obvious thing possible to deflect attention, and the second is proof that he's a really, really terrible liar not a "criminal mastermind."

This podcast throws a shitload of facts at you so I may have some of this wrong.

If Jay did it then he managed to find a time when he had Adnan's phone/car and Adnan had no alibi, committed an apparently motiveless murder, called up a girl he doesn't know and spoke for a few minutes, disposed of a body on his own, all without leaving physical evidence, and then most impressively of all, went to the police and persuaded them that it wasn't the poor black drug dealer what done it, it was the upstanding Pakistani fella.

He's either very smart of absurdly lucky.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Blue Star Error posted:

This podcast throws a shitload of facts at you so I may have some of this wrong.

If Jay did it then he managed to find a time when he had Adnan's phone/car and Adnan had no alibi, committed an apparently motiveless murder, called up a girl he doesn't know and spoke for a few minutes, disposed of a body on his own, all without leaving physical evidence, and then most impressively of all, went to the police and persuaded them that it wasn't the poor black drug dealer what done it, it was the upstanding Pakistani fella.

He's either very smart of absurdly lucky.
Not really because the timeline of events, including the DAY in which it happened, is all based on Jay's testimony. All we know is that on the day in question, Adnan was on the phone with this girl and Jay was there.

And people keep saying Jay had no motive, it was stated several times that he was (potentially, and just as plausible as Adnan going murder-crazy) jealous that Adnan spent time with Stephanie. There was even the bit about Adnan asking Stephanie if Jay got her anything, which was what lead Adnan to leaving his car with Jay to go buy her something in the first place.

To go any further I'd have to say things about the character and capabilities of Jay that I don't know about, so I won't. But the point is, I do not see ANY reason to believe that Adnan had any involvement in this murder. Everything is based on what Jay says backed up by cell phone logs that do not actually help his story.

EDIT: Jen and an anonymous call are all there is to back up ANYTHING Jay says, and even Jen's testimony talks poo poo on Jay.

cams fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 5, 2014

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The day it happened is the day she didn't pick up her relative from daycare or whatever, unless you believe she was kept alive by Jay for a few days for some reason? Glad the jury was able to put 2 and 2 together.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tormented posted:

Our legal system is one of the best in the world

loving lol. Best for who?

Ed: to contribute a little, the thing that keeps jumping out at me is how obvious it seems that rather than being any kind of mastermind, jay got preferential treatment and probably tons of (unrecorded) coaching from the cops.

Have listeners turned up anything besides the paid for lawyer and the amount of unrecorded time in police presence that would support that?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 6, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rabia Chaudry's latest blog entry (which correspond to each episode of the show) is up. As much as Sarah isn't a fan of Adnan's lawyer, Rabia is much, much more antagonistic about it.
http://www.splitthemoon.com/?p=339

Christina didn’t make a few mistakes, she made enough terrible decisions to break the record for complaints filed against an attorney in the state of Maryland.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 6, 2014

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Rabia Chaudry's latest blog entry ....
:words:

I hope if I'm ever in trouble, there's someone like Rabia on my side.

Thanks for posting about the Witman case, too. That's captured my attention, as well, and would make an excellent second season.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I actually hope they don't go in the direction of doing another crime story. Especially not one with a less problematic subject. This isn't The Thin Blue Line and I don't think it really tries to be.

This season is focused on one central question: "Does Sarah Koenig believe in America Adnan is guilty?" It remains interesting by walking past a lot of other provocative topics along the way, and by drawing the audience into a state where they ask (and often answer) the question for themselves.

A second season should stick with the same or similar formula -- take one topic, and one chief investigator/host, and have them examine it broadly and slowly.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm surprised more people aren't discussing the problems with Gutierrez. That part of the episode, supplemented by Rabia's follow-up post, was one of the more bizarre aspects of the case thus far. Her perplexing, ineffective court "strategies," her closed manner with the clients -- those are bad enough to verge on incompetent, but the massive amounts of money demanded for services never provided sounds downright corrupt. What the hell.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Crisco Kid posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't discussing the problems with Gutierrez. That part of the episode, supplemented by Rabia's follow-up post, was one of the more bizarre aspects of the case thus far. Her perplexing, ineffective court "strategies," her closed manner with the clients -- those are bad enough to verge on incompetent, but the massive amounts of money demanded for services never provided sounds downright corrupt. What the hell.

I think it's mostly because we're all too busy trying to solve this thing and not really giving a care about the trial, even though that's probably ultimately what the intended take away from all of this is going to be.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't think anyone has denied that the trial was a mess at this point, which is why no one's really focusing on that aspect except Sarah Koenig. She absolutely should be, it can never hurt to show how flawed the justice system can be, but by this point it's just throwing more evidence on that pile without touching the thing everyone else is busy trying to piece together: Did Adnan, Jay, Don, Mr. S, and/or the Mailkimp girl kill Hae?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Also Gutierrez is dead.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Also Gutierrez is dead.

Which is why I don't think you can make a season two focusing on another one of her cases. Since she's not around to give her version of events, the argument becomes a bit one sided.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Tormented posted:

This is overblowing it, this is not always true, no system is 100% effective. Our legal system is one of the best in the world but it does involved people and people make mistakes.

Don't drat an entire system because an innocence man might have been put in jail.

I don't wanna rag on you too much here and I know a couple people have replied to this already but I just want to say that the US justice system is MASSIVELY flawed and there is plenty of evidence besides this one trial showing that. The United States incarcerates almost 2.3 million people which is more than any country in the history of the world, not even Stalinist Russia or modern China (which has a population of over a billion) has ever put so many people in prison. This is mostly due to "tough on crime" politicians who have implemented laws that put in place incredibly long mandatory minimum sentences for trivial offences. Unless you have a badge, in which case you can literally get away with murder. Not to mention the problems with making judges (and even coroners in some jurisdictions) elected officials who do the same "tough on crime" pandering.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I can't believe we're allowed to elect judges. I'm totally ok with being able to impeach them, but judges should not be influenced by votes, that's a travesty.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's better to elect judges than to have them appointed by the governor tbqh

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Toxxupation posted:

It's better to elect judges than to have them appointed by the governor tbqh

I'm going to put the same amount of effort into my rebuttal that you put into your post. More, actually, since I'm actually bothering to use punctuation.

Nope.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
An apostrophe is punctuation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm going to put the same amount of effort into my rebuttal that you put into your post. More, actually, since I'm actually bothering to use punctuation.

Nope.

With voting at least you get the will of the people, even if it's something no one actually follows or cares about. When a governor appoints judges you have them appointing all their political buddies and end up with judges who don't think blacks are really people, or want women to never show their ankles whenever a republican gets the governorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah but when you vote you get people willing to pervert justice just to get elected

• Locked thread