Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As someone who thought the touchscreen was dumb at first when I got a WiiU I realized how nice it was, especially when other people want to do stuff with the tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
People also don't realise it until they hold one, but the Wii U gamepad is super light. Even with the screen in there and everything I think it weighs about as much as an Xbox 360 controller.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's still a pretty cheap and trashy controller in any case. Eats battery faster than a Game Gear and its rumble feature might be one of the worst in controller history because it's too weak to disperse properly across that mammoth casing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't mind the gamepad, but I definitely prefer to use the pro controller. Bonus in that you can still use the gamepad for a screen.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the best general purpose controller would probably be a Gamecube/Dualshock 3 hybrid. Have the same general Gamecube face button layout, but with a better second stick and D-pad, and maybe replace Z with real bumper shoulder buttons. Gyroscope aiming would be nice too, but it doesn't seem to work right with traditional controllers. It seems to work much better on the Wii U gamepad for whatever reason.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

mabels big day posted:

the gamepad is cool. how is it a dealbreaker? it's just a controller with a touch screen.

I'm old and don't want to learn new things, also heard it has a garbage screen

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

You heard wrong.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Looking forward to Field Simulator II.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Somehow I never had Ocarina of Time for the N64 but now I have it on my 3DS. I don't know how I would have figured any of these puzzles out when I was 8 other than printing off all of GameFAQs. Maybe that's why I stuck to Mario 64, Star Fox and Banjo Kazooie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

African AIDS cum posted:

Of all he things the controller does right is that the screen is really, really nice. I'm not the biggest fan of it because of the lovely battery and the cheap feel of it (the buttons are mushy poo poo) but it's not really that bad.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Honestly, the Wii U Gamepad looks unwieldy but after about 5 minutes of using it, it just feels great. Its a very very well designed controller, especially for something so large.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'd love to buy this game if it wasn't attached to the anchor known as the Wii U.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gliding with the sailcloth looks rad and time slowing down when you take aim while jumping off your horse looks even more rad.

And while some of the textures look really rough (hopefully they're placeholders) I'm really impressed by the way the blades of grass look and move around.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 6, 2014

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oh man that looks great. I'm just hoping they actually populate that world with secrets and activities instead of wholesale ripping off Shadow of the Colossus (which they clearly did with Epona).

I'd like a better look at those moblin (bokoblin? who knows) redesigns too. Seems like they're keeping the cartoony vibe of Skyward Sword but they're not quite so hideous.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

African AIDS cum posted:

Did I just time travel to 2012 or something?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ColdPie posted:

I'd love to buy this game if it wasn't attached to the anchor known as the Wii U.

If the Wii U is an anchor then I guess it must be holding us in place in the Sea of Awesome Games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did I just time travel to 2012 or something?

ColdPie posted:

It sure sounds like it. :yikes:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ColdPie posted:

"I want to play all these Wii U games but I don't want to buy a Wii U because it has no games."

Also I dunno what problems everyone is running into concerning gamepad battery life. I've owned my Wii U since E3 and I only ever use the gamepad but in all of my gaming sessions I've never had my gamepad run out of power. Maybe I just have the god gamepad or maybe I'm just really good at doing the arduous task of putting my gamepad in the charging cradle when I'm don playing.

EDIT: ALSO IN REGARDS TO THE GAMEPAD it feels great to hold people really need to stop making assumptions about it being terrible. The most common complaint is "BUT GYRO AIMIIIIIIIIING" and, well, for starters gyro aiming is Actually Good like seriously. Secondly I'm positive there will be an option to turn it off.

you babies

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gyro aiming actually rules and is intuitive and easy to use.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All I could think of when I saw Link vaulting thirty feet into the air off Epona's back was Batman shooting out of the Batmobile to takedown a thug.

Looking forward to punching Ganondorf in the ballsack.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gyro aiming actually rules and is intuitive and easy to use.

the wii u being good is fact

gyro aiming being good is opinion. (a dumb one)

just let me play a loving zelda without motion controls nintendo!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gyro aiming is good, intuitive, and easy to use.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gyro aiming isn't motion controls. Have you played Ocarina of Time or Resident evil revelations?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Real hurthling! posted:

the wii u being good is fact

gyro aiming being good is opinion. (a dumb one)

just let me play a loving zelda without motion controls nintendo!

Did you play Wind Waker HD? Because the gyro aiming was amazing. Fact.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I really liked the gyro controls in OoT3D. I've never been able to aim my bow or slingshot that fast on the N64 version.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

"I want to play all these Wii U games but I don't want to buy a Wii U because it has no games."

Nah. I got sufficiently burned by the Wii that I will never again play a game with "motion controls," also known as "buttons that only sometimes work." Give me a real controller or go gently caress yourself.

Less "dealbreaker" points: I've already got three consoles hooked up to my TV that I regularly use and really don't want to add another. And I don't want to spend $300 on a console with an online system with less features than the Xbox one--er original or whatever.

All that said,

Suaimhneas posted:

If the Wii U is an anchor then I guess it must be holding us in place in the Sea of Awesome Games

Props for this awesome comeback.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That world looks terrible. Like it was designed by someone that doesn't know what a landscape looks like, like someone took an entire country and smooshed it into a couple square miles.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 6, 2014

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Dolphin posted:

That world looks terrible. Like it was designed by someone that doesn't know what a landscape looks like.

help what is fantasy

edit: didn't we only see it secondhand on a tv that took up a quarter of a frame anyway in a video that showed like 1/50th of a map in a game over a year away

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calico Heart posted:

uh oh what's fantasy
You're right, the genre excuses any and every problem that could exist in the design of the game.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Calico Heart posted:

edit: didn't we only see it secondhand on a tv that took up a quarter of a frame anyway in a video that showed like 1/50th of a map in a game over a year away

We sure did, but this is the internet and everything is poo poo.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Calico Heart posted:

help what is fantasy

ColdPie posted:

And I don't want to spend $300 on a console with an online system with less features than the Xbox one--er original or whatever.

Every single current console has loving poo poo online but at least the wii u's is free

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calico Heart posted:

You're right, they probably just showed the ugliest parts of the game map for the game's big reveal.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Dolphin posted:

You're right, they probably just showed the ugliest parts of the game map for the game's big reveal.

no sorry it's far more likely the tiny bit of footage on a TV we saw is indicative of a game with over a year of development left.

edit: no you're right no I'm right sorry you're right

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well, I'm excited for it. Might even get me to consider buying a Wii U.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

ColdPie posted:

Nah. I got sufficiently burned by the Wii that I will never again play a game with "motion controls," also known as "buttons that only sometimes work." Give me a real controller or go gently caress yourself.

If you are never again going to buy a nintendo console, why are you even bothering checking out the games for their consoles? I mean, if you just want to sit around and be upset about it then that's fine and everything but it just seems like a waste of effort. Perhaps you should just give it a try on Windwaker or something because the gyro controls for aiming are actually really intuitive and so so much faster than using a thumbstick.

But hey, if you are determined to hate the Wii U at all costs then I just think you are wasting your own time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But if you really hated the Wii so much, the Wii U should be exactly what you want because it's primarily not a motion controlled console! :confused:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Let's acknowledge the fact that playing on the WiiU gamepad means that we don't have to flail our arms around anymore to swing a sword. Glory be!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Jellymouth posted:

Footage looks great. Not gonna lie.

But... I hope they don't do that thing where they put a bunch of trees relatively closer together than usual and call it a forest. I'm probably the only person who cares about it, but I hate when open-world games do that poo poo. Some people care about realistic portrayals of women in games; I care about realistic portrayals of forests.

i am right there with you brother

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm a little late to gyroscope talk but it is seriously super intuitive and feels really good. I don't think I've ever completed the Gerudo horseback archery challenge before the 3DS version and even then it's only because gyroscopic aiming is so much more faster and precise than using the sticks. The only bad thing I can say about the big gamepad is that its vibration is rear end, but even then you can turn it off. It's really nice being able to swap items in WWHD without pausing the game and constantly having a big map open is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm just glad Link looks like he has actual motion captured movement animations. It looks rad as hell

• Locked thread