Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, but unless it's 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 at 60hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling it's marketing bullshit masquerading as 4K.

It is, you can only do 4:2:0 in HDMI 1.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh, poo poo, I had one like that. You had to scan at the right speed or you'd freak out the computer and get a blue screen. That was $99 not well spent.

They got better with time as the technology improved. Of course, now you can take a pretty drat good scan with just a decent cell phone camera.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Dick Trauma posted:

Hand scanners were horrible pieces of poo poo.

I got into advanced computer classes at school by demonstrating my control of a hand scanner. I scanned a mousepad then inserted the image into another obsolete product:

Creature has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Dec 6, 2014

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Dick Trauma posted:

Hand scanners were horrible pieces of poo poo.

My favorite old scanner: Thunderscan, the scanner in the form factor of an Apple ImageWriter ink ribbon cartridge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

cowtown posted:

My favorite old scanner: Thunderscan, the scanner in the form factor of an Apple ImageWriter ink ribbon cartridge.

Huh. That’s clever.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My mom had a printer with a scanning cartridge like that in the early 2000s. I want to say it was an Epson, but I don't really remember. It wasn't a retrofit and yet you couldn't have both ink and scan cartridges in the printer at the same time. An advertised feature of it was making copies. She used it in a business context for a couple of years where it had to serve as both a fax and a printer.

That was like the dumbest "money saving" purchase ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, but unless it's 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 at 60hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling it's marketing bullshit masquerading as 4K.

It's 3840x2160, 60Hz, 4:4:4, 8 bits per pixel.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's 3840x2160, 60Hz, 4:4:4, 8 bits per pixel.

8 bits per pixel would be pretty bad. :v:
It's 8 bits per color per pixel, as you probably wanted to write.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grim Up North posted:

8 bits per pixel would be pretty bad. :v:
It's 8 bits per color per pixel, as you probably wanted to write.

Bah, humbug!

256 colors 4 life, yo.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo. We're allowed to keep anything we can fix in-house (got a few free 40"+ LCD TVs this way) or anything that's just really weird or cool. I'll try to catalog and take some pictures of some of the weirder things we've had but pretty much everything in this thread, I've seen.

One of the oldest was the Wurlitzer Sideman (1950s), I think it was one of the first consumer drum machines available. Still in perfect working condition. Seen a few 1920s wooden radios, unfortunately in lovely shape, and some newer bakelite radios from just after WW2. I have a stereo setup at home, mostly comprised of recycled-and-cleaned-up components. Newest addition: sweet reel-to-reel complete with someone's country karaoke tape.

We've gotten old rear end Heathkit computers, an Apple II with hard drives that still work, a military dosimeter, a bunch of poo poo. I'll see what I can dig up Monday if anyone's interested.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo. We're allowed to keep anything we can fix in-house (got a few free 40"+ LCD TVs this way) or anything that's just really weird or cool. I'll try to catalog and take some pictures of some of the weirder things we've had but pretty much everything in this thread, I've seen.

One of the oldest was the Wurlitzer Sideman (1950s), I think it was one of the first consumer drum machines available. Still in perfect working condition. Seen a few 1920s wooden radios, unfortunately in lovely shape, and some newer bakelite radios from just after WW2. I have a stereo setup at home, mostly comprised of recycled-and-cleaned-up components. Newest addition: sweet reel-to-reel complete with someone's country karaoke tape.

We've gotten old rear end Heathkit computers, an Apple II with hard drives that still work, a military dosimeter, a bunch of poo poo. I'll see what I can dig up Monday if anyone's interested.

I feel like you are sitting on a lot of money...

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

My mom had a printer with a scanning cartridge like that in the early 2000s. I want to say it was an Epson, but I don't really remember. It wasn't a retrofit and yet you couldn't have both ink and scan cartridges in the printer at the same time. An advertised feature of it was making copies. She used it in a business context for a couple of years where it had to serve as both a fax and a printer.

That was like the dumbest "money saving" purchase ever.

My dad had this one. You had to pull out the ink cartridge and carefully set it aside so that the print head wouldn't come into contact with anything and leak ink everywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Genuine-CANON-Color-Image-Scanner-Cartridge-IS-22-for-BJC-4300-4650-4400/371111031333

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

R.L. Stine posted:

I won't lie. Your post got me breathing hard.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

R.L. Stine posted:

The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo.

Do you work at Weird Stuff? If anyone here is in the bay area, you should definitely go there at least once.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

I feel like you are sitting on a lot of money...

The first thing I do if I see something unique is check how much it's worth. A lot of the cooler stuff can be worth big bucks but only to the right person I suppose.

I understand people throwing out old z80 computers and vintage stereo amps and cameras because we live in the middle of nowhere and they aren't nerds, it's just garbage to them. What amazes me is we get people leaving new flatscreen TVs and Windows 8 computers because they'd rather buy a new one than have it repaired. I'd say about 85% of the flatscreen TVs and monitors we get in just have bad capacitors, you can repair them in minutes for a few cents in parts. Not that I'm complaining..

The vast majority of the poo poo we get are old CRT televisions that really absolutely nobody wants. Every now and then we'll get a studio or CCTV monitor that's a little fancier than a TV. I'm personally waiting for someone to drop off a studio VTR.

I'm gonna take pictures of the cooler tech stuff we've hung onto on Monday but I'll leave you with what I'd consider the weirdest drop-off. It's not REALLY technology related, although it depends on how far back you go I guess. I was going through a cardboard box (always the best. You never know what's gonna be inside) and along with the heaps of composite cables and headphones there was a smaller box labelled 'Dart Gun'. I opened it up and yup, it was a dart gun. I was hoping for a proper GUN like some James Bond poo poo but it was a collapsible blowgun, looked like some touristy thing you'd buy on the side of the road in Indonesia. Cool, but not really eligible for electronics recycling. Also, it's a prohibited weapon here. We don't have it anymore.

I work at a small computer/phone/electronics/whatever repair place.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

R.L. Stine posted:

The first thing I do if I see something unique is check how much it's worth. A lot of the cooler stuff can be worth big bucks but only to the right person I suppose.

I understand people throwing out old z80 computers and vintage stereo amps and cameras because we live in the middle of nowhere and they aren't nerds, it's just garbage to them. What amazes me is we get people leaving new flatscreen TVs and Windows 8 computers because they'd rather buy a new one than have it repaired. I'd say about 85% of the flatscreen TVs and monitors we get in just have bad capacitors, you can repair them in minutes for a few cents in parts. Not that I'm complaining..

The vast majority of the poo poo we get are old CRT televisions that really absolutely nobody wants. Every now and then we'll get a studio or CCTV monitor that's a little fancier than a TV. I'm personally waiting for someone to drop off a studio VTR.

I'm gonna take pictures of the cooler tech stuff we've hung onto on Monday but I'll leave you with what I'd consider the weirdest drop-off. It's not REALLY technology related, although it depends on how far back you go I guess. I was going through a cardboard box (always the best. You never know what's gonna be inside) and along with the heaps of composite cables and headphones there was a smaller box labelled 'Dart Gun'. I opened it up and yup, it was a dart gun. I was hoping for a proper GUN like some James Bond poo poo but it was a collapsible blowgun, looked like some touristy thing you'd buy on the side of the road in Indonesia. Cool, but not really eligible for electronics recycling. Also, it's a prohibited weapon here. We don't have it anymore.

I work at a small computer/phone/electronics/whatever repair place.

Still sounds like obsolete tech to me.

Also your job sounds pretty rad, all things considered.

ThanatosOfOne
Mar 24, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

Pioneer 707?? drat man, I have been looking for a cheap one of those for months now. Prefer a 909, but hey...

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

ThanatosOfOne posted:

Pioneer 707?? drat man, I have been looking for a cheap one of those for months now. Prefer a 909, but hey...

Mine is a 701 actually, I grabbed the wrong picture from google. I think it's a little less common but there's also less to it than the 707. The 701 can't auto reverse, there are probably more differences. Mine is filthy, a good cleaning is on my to do list.

Some old radio pictures from my phone:

This one is a shame. Maybe depression era? I can't really tell. Has 'Mel-O-Tone' nameplate on the front, not a lot of info on the internet. That round dial is a beaut though. No proper station numbers so I'm thinking it's old. Sadly it remained with the rest of the recycling to be stripped down into scrap.

Late 40s, spent a long time in a barn or shed. Currently in my house getting cleaned up.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

R.L. Stine posted:

Late 40s, spent a long time in a barn or shed. Currently in my house getting cleaned up.

Can it pick up... Radio goatman? :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Dec 7, 2014

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

wipeout posted:

:vince:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

wipeout posted:

:golfclap:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

Mine is a 701 actually, I grabbed the wrong picture from google. I think it's a little less common but there's also less to it than the 707. The 701 can't auto reverse, there are probably more differences. Mine is filthy, a good cleaning is on my to do list.

Some old radio pictures from my phone:

This one is a shame. Maybe depression era? I can't really tell. Has 'Mel-O-Tone' nameplate on the front, not a lot of info on the internet. That round dial is a beaut though. No proper station numbers so I'm thinking it's old. Sadly it remained with the rest of the recycling to be stripped down into scrap.

You know about the potential for a hot chassis on those old tube radios, right? It's possible to make them safer but basically never touch the inside while it's on.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
The discussion on scanners reminded me; one of the earlier computers that my brother owned came with a Compaq keyboard/scanner combo;

As you can see by how it's laid out, you could only use it with documents that were able to feed through it (i.e. you couldn't scan anything that wouldn't bend) and I believe you had to feed each page through one at at time. Not a very practical device when you look at the kind of scanners you typically see today, but at the time, this thing totally blew our minds at how cool it was.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My Father in law just got a mouse scanner and I groaned when he told me, remembering all the poo poo basically posted on this page, but it fuckin rocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4LpLOx0j4

Totally cool little device.

About 15 years ago, maybe less I had a car stereo that played CDs and Minidiscs, and the big thing with it was that they both used the same slot on the stereo head, basically the CD slot had a bigger opening at one end to put in a Minidisc, check it out:

http://www.minidisc.org/part_JVC_KD-MX2900R.html

I believe no other stereo did this and I remember people being amazed by it back then

Edit: User manual: http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/jvc/jvc_kdmx2900.pdf

You can see how it works in that

mystes
May 31, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

My Father in law just got a mouse scanner and I groaned when he told me, remembering all the poo poo basically posted on this page, but it fuckin rocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4LpLOx0j4

Totally cool little device.
We have the CPU power and software to do this sort of thing right now, but nobody cares because if you don't have a flatbed scanner you can just take out your cellphone and take a picture of stuff.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

You know about the potential for a hot chassis on those old tube radios, right? It's possible to make them safer but basically never touch the inside while it's on.

Yeah the chassis in the one I took home ended up back in the garbage. I took a long look at it and decided it wasn't worth the effort, it was seriously a mess. So now it's a "display item".

Another thing from my garbage collection:

It's a dosimeter, it measures radiation exposure. This one and the SOR/T are used by soldiers and folks working with radiation, primarily I think in NATO countries. This one seems to work in that it does detect ambient radiation but I don't know anything about its calibration, also when I was taking the pic I noticed that the battery is dead :(

It's not obsolete BUT it did make an older kind of dosimeter obsolete..

The QFD, Quartz Fibre Dosimeter. These things would get charged at a little station and carried around on your person. If you were exposed to ionizing radiation, the radiation would basically pass through and decrease the charge in the thing little by little and a quartz fibre inside would move. The new position of the fibre would indicate how much radiation you've been exposed to.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also, bring them up gradually on a VARIAC is possible and do it outside with the radio downwind of yourself if it has a selenium rectifier because nothing you'll encounter outside of a chemistry lab smells worse than one of those when they blow up and you will smell like it for days if you're nearby.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

R.L. Stine posted:

The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo.

I miss my job at a recycler. Anything that was worth more than scrap would get put on ebay, and we had some really expensive stuff from time to time. Most of it was consumer and office electronics but sometimes we would get enterprise level servers from 15 years in the past. The best was government science equipment. Oscilloscopes, spectrographs... there was a centrifuge the size of a small car. That was scary to stand near while it was on - it sounded like there was a helicopter trapped inside.

Unless it was top-of-the-line audiophile poo poo, most of the vintage radios/amps/speakers got junked. I took home a few of them and have a radioshack model with an 8-track slot for my kitchen stereo. Hooked up to some late 50s speakers. The sound isn't amazing but they just look so nice! I love the aesthetic on electronics from back then.

edit: and I can run an adapter in the phono jacks to a 3.5mm headphone jack so phone/mp3 player can hook up to it!

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Dec 10, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Plinkey posted:

gently caress yeah they were.

I used this thing for probably 3-4 years until the hard drive finally got so hosed up that it wouldn't spin anymore and I resigned myself to an Ipod which at the time I thought was inferior because I think RockBox was out by then.

I picked this is up in 2001 a bit after they came out. For some reason Circuit City was having a 50% off or so sale on them and I got my 17 year old rear end down to Circuit City as fast as I could that Sunday morning after I saw the ad in the paper.

Hey there Archos buddy! I was a die-hard fan of these. Upgraded mine to a 40GB HDD and got to using straight alkaline batteries for much better life than the stock NiCad batteries had. Rockbox was excellent but I needed something smaller...

...so I became a MiniDisc user! By then you could write data formatted audio which meant faster burn rate and more storage. A single AA battery lasted weeks in mine.

When all of this was over I bought an iPod 5.5 (video). I swear by them because they are the highest model presently supported by RockBox (it lives!). If I break it I can buy cheap ones on eBay and do the repairs myself. Love it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
The Nakamichi RX-202 autoreverse feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRSDp1JI5BQ

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
That company made some pretty outlandish stuff including the $8000 USD TX-1000 turntable which automatically centred records with slightly off centre spindle holes.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I love those cassettes with the little reel-to-reel style, uh, reels.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

...How did that make more sense than a 4-track head and reversing motors?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

eddiewalker posted:

It's amazing, that's how.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's amazing, that's how.

One cassette? ONE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgTuzDQokdk

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Horace posted:

I love those cassettes with the little reel-to-reel style, uh, reels.

As with many things, the Japanese took this way too far.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Hahah widdle reel to reel tapes :3:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ron Burgundy posted:

As with many things, the Japanese took this way too far.

I wish this technology had been better. As a child of the 80's and 90's, I had stacks and stacks of cassettes and hauled around a box of them with me all the time. Having to just carry the little reels would have been much easier, plus they look so loving rad.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

eddiewalker posted:

Patents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

19 o'clock posted:

Hey there Archos buddy! I was a die-hard fan of these. Upgraded mine to a 40GB HDD and got to using straight alkaline batteries for much better life than the stock NiCad batteries had. Rockbox was excellent but I needed something smaller...

...so I became a MiniDisc user! By then you could write data formatted audio which meant faster burn rate and more storage. A single AA battery lasted weeks in mine.

When all of this was over I bought an iPod 5.5 (video). I swear by them because they are the highest model presently supported by RockBox (it lives!). If I break it I can buy cheap ones on eBay and do the repairs myself. Love it.

I have rockbox on my 120GB Classic.

It seems to work well. I wasn't sure really what to do with it since I've transitioned to Google Play Music, so I put rockbox on it.