Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Can you repeat the question?

Also as for Talia... and focusing on something other than her clothes for a change. I did always enjoy her episode in Batman Beyond, besides, it gave us this wonderful moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Didn't Paul Dini do Elfquest?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Onmi posted:

Also as for Talia... and focusing on something other than her clothes for a change. I did always enjoy her episode in Batman Beyond, besides, it gave us this wonderful moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

And this one where Terry surprises batman by showing that can do the mental legwork when necessary.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kurieg posted:

And this one where Terry surprises batman by showing that can do the mental legwork when necessary.

Bruce and Barbara had a relationship :catstare: the fuuuuuuuuuuck

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Aces High posted:

In the Animated Series? yes. It ended because much like every other relationship with Bruce, he couldn't stop being Batman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

Here's the best video I could find of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_pvO7kx-eI

Has a bunch of other stuff mixed inbetween but yeah.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Maybe I should change the title to DCAU Depreciation Station :v:

So I've got a big section coming up which pretty much heralds the end of the game. You're sort of on rails once you do it, like going into the Visitation Center when the party starts in Arkham Asylum. My question is: I'm going to have a lot of gadgets and could do a lot of Riddling. Should I screw around, probably with someone else talking about Batman things, or should I just get the story done and then pick up things afterwards?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

So I've got a big section coming up which pretty much heralds the end of the game. You're sort of on rails once you do it, like going into the Visitation Center when the party starts in Arkham Asylum. My question is: I'm going to have a lot of gadgets and could do a lot of Riddling. Should I screw around, probably with someone else talking about Batman things, or should I just get the story done and then pick up things afterwards?

I think it's fine to screw around and talk batman things. Could be interesting, especially if you'll be wrapping up side quest chains, then you can talk about the villains it relates to.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

actually now that I think about it I forgot that when Barbara was introduced in TAS she mentioned she was finishing college, so Bruce sleeping with someone maybe 10 years younger than him isn't as creepy as if she were just entering high school

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I really liked the DCAU version of Bruce's career declining. It's not really talked about besides these few scenes, but as he gets older, it becomes clearer that he isn't really cleaning up Gotham, since the city is still plagued by crime and supervillains like no other. Bruce gets more obsessed with superheroing as a result, and this brings him into deep disagreements with people he's supposed to be allies with. Dick quits, Tim replaces him, then there's the fiasco with the Joker, and some time after that Barbara quits too. The events shown in Return of the Joker are (probably) what convinced him to stop taking sidekicks altogether.

But it's never really explained why Bruce quits the Justice League. In the first episode of Batman Beyond he's shown working alone, as usual, but the only mention of the League comes in a scant few episodes written specifically about them. Granted, Beyond was written before the Justice League had its own show, but even when they explore the future timelines, they never give us a solid answer. There are a lot of things it could be, but I like to imagine that it's what happens with Ace that finally makes him go solo again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Another thing that sucks is the Bat-Embargo due to Batman Begins and The Batman being out around that time prevented other Bat-Family characters from being used. Even most of Batman's villains couldn't really show up, aside from Joker and Harley. I remember Clayface joining some kind of Injustice League once and an alternate universe version of Arkham, but that was it.

What I'm getting at is that we never see precisely when Tim gets messed up in the head by the Joker. Is it after Justice League? During?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

John Liver posted:

I really liked the DCAU version of Bruce's career declining. It's not really talked about besides these few scenes, but as he gets older, it becomes clearer that he isn't really cleaning up Gotham, since the city is still plagued by crime and supervillains like no other. Bruce gets more obsessed with superheroing as a result, and this brings him into deep disagreements with people he's supposed to be allies with. Dick quits, Tim replaces him, then there's the fiasco with the Joker, and some time after that Barbara quits too. The events shown in Return of the Joker are (probably) what convinced him to stop taking sidekicks altogether.

But it's never really explained why Bruce quits the Justice League. In the first episode of Batman Beyond he's shown working alone, as usual, but the only mention of the League comes in a scant few episodes written specifically about them. Granted, Beyond was written before the Justice League had its own show, but even when they explore the future timelines, they never give us a solid answer. There are a lot of things it could be, but I like to imagine that it's what happens with Ace that finally makes him go solo again.

Being a little familiar with the justice league beyond comics (dcau comic spinoffs), maybe it had to do with Wonder Woman leaving Bruce for his FREAKING JUSTICE LORD COUNTERPART

Don't know bout you, but I would take that badly.

Also that could be used to retroactively justify the lack of a WW picture in his batfolder.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mauman posted:

Being a little familiar with the justice league beyond comics (dcau comic spinoffs), maybe it had to do with Wonder Woman leaving Bruce for his FREAKING JUSTICE LORD COUNTERPART

Don't know bout you, but I would take that badly.

Also that could be used to retroactively justify the lack of a WW picture in his batfolder.

It's very simple to point out that the DCAU comics are not in the shows canon, instead they're within the canon of the future DCU and... honestly most of the comics aren't that good. At least to start, because they were written by Adam Beechan.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

John Liver posted:

He never technically joined the Justice League in the first place. That's part of the batman "Don't get too close to people" thing. Though it's implied that the reason he broke off all ties completely was him having talk Ace into killing herself to save everyone else.

And by definition Return of the Joker takes place sometime after JLU ended, since Joker's still alive in at least a few episodes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

mauman posted:

Hahahahaha what

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Honestly it's kind of your call. Unlike in Asylum, a lot of the sidequests in this game have real endings to them, whereas really the only sidequest in Asylum was the Riddler trophies and the only conclusion was hearing him get taken down by the cops over the radio. I guess saving the grand finale for the end might make a nice coda, but there's really not that much of a need to when in the post-game you can still do the Hush story, Deadshot, Riddler, Mad Hatter, Zsasz, finding Nora Fries, Catwoman taking down Two-Face again, and all sorts of other Easter Eggs and goodies. Plus the DLC which takes place post-story will obviously be the end-point of the LP so in comparison to Asylum, it's not that important when you end City's main game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The death of Joker in BTAS was implied to be the end of the Bat-Family.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Onmi posted:

It's very simple to point out that the DCAU comics are not in the shows canon, instead they're within the canon of the future DCU and... honestly most of the comics aren't that good. At least to start, because they were written by Adam Beechan.

Yes of course. I agree, but they're all we have for any plot holes that DCAU has left over.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 6, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What I really liked about Batman Beyond is that, while it did have old Bat-villains show up in some capacities, it generally tried to establish its own Rogues gallery, to often great effect. Inque is a great villain, so is Blight and that nerdy kid who bulks up in prison. It helped Terry feel like a "real" Batman because he had his own unique villains to face to fit his era. I really would love a relaunch of the show to continue telling stories in that setting, or better yet, a comic line. Cyberpunk is a fertile ground that Batman comics rarely touch, save for that god-awful "Batman in the Internet" issue of Batman Inc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What I really liked about Batman Beyond is that, while it did have old Bat-villains show up in some capacities, it generally tried to establish its own Rogues gallery, to often great effect. Inque is a great villain, so is Blight and that nerdy kid who bulks up in prison. It helped Terry feel like a "real" Batman because he had his own unique villains to face to fit his era. I really would love a relaunch of the show to continue telling stories in that setting, or better yet, a comic line. Cyberpunk is a fertile ground that Batman comics rarely touch, save for that god-awful "Batman in the Internet" issue of Batman Inc.

And this is why the Comics they made recently were mostly bad, because they just reused old Batman villains or expies of them, the most damning moment was Terry trying to hit on a new 'Catwoman' because 'It's tradition and it's about time I got a Catwoman.'

Or Hush being a villain and old Terry villains getting killed, it's just... dumb.

To tie it all in, I would love a Beyond Rocksteady game though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Onmi posted:

And this is why the Comics they made recently were mostly bad, because they just reused old Batman villains or expies of them, the most damning moment was Terry trying to hit on a new 'Catwoman' because 'It's tradition and it's about time I got a Catwoman.'

Or Hush being a villain and old Terry villains getting killed, it's just... dumb.

To tie it all in, I would love a Beyond Rocksteady game though.

Well, all being said, I mostly agree with you about the beyond unlimited series. Hush beyond was weird and how they dealt with the GL/Huntress/Hawk Girl love triangle were two of the bigger problems I had with the series.

10,000 Jokers, on the other hand, was ok.

Now the 2.0 (both batman and justice league) series I rather adored, and they're both series I recommend and am willing to consider DCAU canon. Also Batman Beyond 2.0 avoided the trap of using the old rogue's gallery.

Also reports of Mad Stan's death at the hands of Hush were somewhat exaggerated, he was visiting his sick mother at the time. Hush also lied about Shriek, but they never bothered to explain that one.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hahahahaha what

It does make sense in context, and that particular arc was really good if you like DCAU Superman or DCAU Wonder Woman.

Also, yes to a Beyond Rocksteady game.

mauman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 6, 2014

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Maybe I have low standards or just didn't see all of the horror of Arkham Origins, but what exactly is the problem with that game?

In my experience it seems to be everything Arkham City was but better, with the caveat of having no earthshaking new gameplay ideas.

I hear it can apparently be a buggy mess and wasn't supported by the devs? I guess I missed the bugs, I thought it was pretty great, myself, but I'm not heavily into the comics from which all of this stuff originates.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Didn't Paul Dini do Elfquest?

No. Wendy and Richard Pini did.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Please do the side stuff first - especially try to destroy all the cameras beforehand :)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kazeite posted:

Please do the side stuff first - especially try to destroy all the cameras beforehand :)

Yeah, definitely destroy all of the cameras at least.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

See I kind of disagree with this. I didn't find any of the Beyond villains particularly interesting and the only ones I even remember the names of are Inque, Blight, and Curare. And I only remember Curare because it's a dumb loving name, I don't remember anything else about him. The Beyond villains just never made much of an impression on me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

And I only remember Curare because it's a dumb loving name, I don't remember anything else about him.

Curare was a woman.

And Terry had a number of rogues. Inque, Blight, Shriek, Spellbinder, Stalker, Curare, Mad Stan, Willie Watt, the Jokerz, the Royal Flush Gang, etc.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Well that sort of proves my point then.

And the Royal Flush Gang were Batman villains before they were Beyond villains. Terry just got a new version of the gang.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked Mad Stan. Wish he got his own show.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's 1:30PM and I'm hungover. Have some videos.

The Head Of The Demon/Polsy - Interview tape: Penguin 5

Character bios: Ra's Al Ghul

Arkham City Stories: Talia's Guard, Buried On A Sunday (2)

Combat Challenge: Hell's Gate/Polsy with Animated Series Nightwing

Ra's Al Ghul is a pretty fun boss fight but it's not the best one. In the meantime I think I'm going to just hit the story and then tackle postgame content, just because so much of the game happens after you finish the story.

DeLurk
Mar 31, 2014
I thought Batman quit the league after the files he kept on other league members were used in an attempt to kill them. I think was in an episode of JL or JLU, but it's been a while and I could be mistaken.

In the last segment of the fight I swear Ra's was channeling an old Nintendo commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_zXOG5DjN8

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't care what anyone says, Ra's al Ghul is the hypest fight in this game. :colbert:

I will admit that there is another boss that is better executed, though.

DeLurk posted:

I thought Batman quit the league after the files he kept on other league members were used in an attempt to kill them. I think was in an episode of JL or JLU, but it's been a while and I could be mistaken.

That was Justice League: Doom, an unrelated film that had a lot of the same voice actors.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

DeLurk posted:

In the last segment of the fight I swear Ra's was channeling an old Nintendo commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_zXOG5DjN8

That was from a DC animated movie unrelated to JLU, but there was the Justice lords two-parter episode, where Lord Batman made specific cages for his league counterparts

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Curare was a woman.

And Terry had a number of rogues. Inque, Blight, Shriek, Spellbinder, Stalker, Curare, Mad Stan, Willie Watt, the Jokerz, the Royal Flush Gang, etc.

Spellbinder was awesome, I loved Spellbinder. He's basically a future version of Scarecrow. They all sort of are. Stalker was cool too, although it was weird that they brought him back after his first appearance, he really seemed very clearly to die in a rather fitting fashion in the first episode he shows up in.

Curare was cool because I think she was evidence that the League of Assassins still existed in the future?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Spellbinder was awesome, I loved Spellbinder. He's basically a future version of Scarecrow. They all sort of are. Stalker was cool too, although it was weird that they brought him back after his first appearance, he really seemed very clearly to die in a rather fitting fashion in the first episode he shows up in.

Curare was cool because I think she was evidence that the League of Assassins still existed in the future?

Society. Completely different. Also most notably was that a lot of Terry's villains seemed a lot like Spiderman villains. According to some anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I could see that. Stalker pretty much was Kraven the Hunter, for instance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ra's feels a lot like a much more honest Batman.

Note I say this without a lot of context because I've only seen him here and in his incredibly forgettable appearance in the Nolan movies.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 7, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ra's al Ghul is a pretty fun villain when written well.

He alternates between attempting plans that will destroy most of the world and buying 25% of the world's oil and letting it sit in his basement just to drive up the prices and cause chaos.

I'm serious. He's actually done that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yo Rocksteady, where's Dick's mullet :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Actually, I would say that this boss fight is done well in this game, but a similar fight is done BETTER in Arkham Origins - but that's for the next LP, I guess. But this is not the best boss in the game.

Edit: At 8 mins in, when Ghul jumps down from the sky - there's a structure up there, it looks almost like a seperate level. Does anyone know what it is?

Edit Edit: Actually, thinking about the character design of Ghul as a whole - he is essential the ur-Fu Manchu, or rather, the uber Orientalist villain; he incorporates a lot of 'Orientalist' aesthetic - his name and physical appearance suggest a Near East origin; with the text on his sword and the fact that he is the head of an assassin's guild suggesting a specifically Islamic bent, but his use of ninjas, shurikens and the 'terracotta army' pose they form when protecting him suggest Japanese and Chinese influences as well. He doesn't seem to represent a 'Yellow' peril, but more a 'non-American/non-European' peril.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread