Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Mystikal is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
PS Im c\urrently at the Delta Lounge in LA sitting next to TI. P cool

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Speaking of Mystikal, I've always liked this song from when he got on YMCMB -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFy1cGEYM4o

Too bad he sounds like such a piece of poo poo (sexual assault, domestic problems, et al).

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

Too bad he sounds like such a piece of poo poo (sexual assault, domestic problems, et al).

Mystikal is scary in an amazing type of way.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

thathonkey posted:

He raped his hairdresser at gunpoint, seems normal

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This is the best Mystikal song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgn53ogEm98

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've never heard this, what a scumbag

http://youtu.be/tE56SMO3FQQ

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 7, 2014

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

:eyepop:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqRTmSppD8

I have been bashing on Tunchi lately but I heard this today and thought he was actually p decent.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Is that for real? :stare: dont gently caress w me on this cool buff man

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ayeeeeeeeee... I've been sleeping on Tech-N9ne. What are some of his outstanding/single tracks I should check out?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cool Buff Man posted:

that does it. i'll only steal whatever dope poo poo he manages before he dies

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Tech-N9ne.

:laugh: ayyyyyye, fonzie wants to known

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
That Mystikal SNL performance was so good.

this has always been my favorite track of his, tho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psaHLi7-DIs

and one of the greatest music videos too

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

obi_ant posted:

Ayeeeeeeeee... I've been sleeping on Tech-N9ne. What are some of his outstanding/single tracks I should check out?

Killer is his best album I'd start there. I'm too lazy/high/on my phone for links

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
how can you mention mystikal without "im on fire" whose bass line is probably responsible for multiple deaths

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Whatever happened to this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPwkXH1PUy0

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

Is that for real? :stare: dont gently caress w me on this cool buff man

Mystikal is a horrible person who makes great music

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I would love to hear more about Baby loving over Lil Wayne (and presumably other artists). I did not know that was an issue, I assumed Baby and Wayne were ok, given the large amount of references to such in Wayne's lyrics.

Was listening to Antwon for the first time in a grip and just remembered this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9saLEZlKEU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I would love to hear more about Baby loving over Lil Wayne (and presumably other artists).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz48tedhk6w

quote:

Wendy Day said in an interview with Nah Right that she helped broker Cash Money's legendary $30 million dollar deal with Universal Music, or whatever it was called at the time, and they wouldn't give her her cut.

She says Freddie Foxxx, who really does run around with two hot glocks and tie white people to chairs and poo poo, bumped into Birdman on the street somewhere, put a gun in his mouth and forced him to apologize over the phone.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

He got real into drugs and started positing paranoid rants on facebook. Also he basically had the ew good mixtapes and just fell off after that. I highly recommend Denzel Curry, who he helped bring up, though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
apparently Migos has another mixtape coming out in about 2 weeks. If it is as good as the other two they pretty much owned the mixtape circuit this year? Trying to think of anyone else who comes close.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BURR!

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

goodog posted:

So Nas is coming to my city to perform The Illmatic in full. Every instinct is telling me that it's a cynical way to gouge big money off backpackers and the entry-level crowd, but what are the odds that this is actually worth paying $100 for?

http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/nas-...01&minorcatid=3

Too bad you don't get to see this.

I will be attending the Sydney show. I heard Joey's set wasn't so good last time he came out with UA.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I would love to hear more about Baby loving over Lil Wayne (and presumably other artists). I did not know that was an issue, I assumed Baby and Wayne were ok, given the large amount of references to such in Wayne's lyrics.

Was listening to Antwon for the first time in a grip and just remembered this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9saLEZlKEU

I'm sure other posters can go into more detail but basically Cash Money Records hosed over everyone in the 90's. BG was on that dope so he didn't know what was going on, Wayne was still in his mid teens, Juvenile knew what was up but couldn't get out of his contract. Turk went to jail around the time it all started to fell apart. I think Juvenile left first, then BG. Wayne and Mannie Fresh were the only 2 people left on the label (Mannie would leave later, in 2005). Cash Money was left for dead with just Lil Wayne.

Lil Wayne comes out with the Carter, then the Carter II. Gudda Gudda (Squad Up) and a few of those other wack rear end rappers were with Wayne for a while and eventually got to making music because well Cash Money had to put some music out other than Wayne I guess (probably the label deal). Curren$y was on Cash Money (Young Money?) for a while before they really blew up.

Birdman and Slim (Brian Williams) are the two owners of Cash Money. Slim isn't really in videos or public much, but he's just as much in charge as Baby is. There have always been rumors about Baby. Supposedly Juvenile was the only one who wouldn't kiss him on the lips. Then theres the infamous Wayne/Baby mouth kiss photo and the disgusted bodyguard/posse member looking on. Not to mention Birdman is basically Wayne's adoptive father. If you hear the story of Wayne losing his virginity he basically describes being raped. He was 12 and Baby had him get his dick sucked (in front of him? Wayne was hosed up when telling this story) Also, the lyrics "gently caress her in the rear end while you beat up the pussy" referring to Wayne is loving weird if you ask me.

In short, like many men in the music industry, Baby is a cheating, lying, scumbag with preferences for young men and having power over them.

FINGERBLASTER69 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 8, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Starlito was also on Cash Money for a while and they basically refused to release his poo poo and he couldn't get off the label for a long time.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
So Baby is hip hops answer to Jimmy Saville?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is there an artist that's left CM that didn't say baby hosed them over. He paid BG in loving heroin

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thathonkey posted:

apparently Migos has another mixtape coming out in about 2 weeks. If it is as good as the other two they pretty much owned the mixtape circuit this year? Trying to think of anyone else who comes close.

gbe diss album inc

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

asap-salafi posted:

The whole industry is like that, Baby is just constantly rubbing his hands together in videos and getting ridiculous face tattoos and just being in public so people know more about it. Also BG straight up rapped about doing heroin a lot. People know how young Wayne was, but BG is only 2 years older than Wayne. Baby really hosed his life up getting him on that dope like that.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
How is not releasing stuff a viable business plan

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Insert Jay Electronica joke here

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Wezlar posted:

Insert Jay Electronica joke here

Married to the Money

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crumbletron posted:

How is not releasing stuff a viable business plan

I'm pretty sure he's got all the money he could ever want or need and cares more about asserting total control over his weird little empire than running a productive business.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

asap-salafi posted:

Britain seems to be franchising Yewtree to the US now. It's the new Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

doctor thodt posted:

I'm pretty sure he's got all the money he could ever want or need and cares more about asserting total control over his weird little empire than running a productive business.
This isn't it at all btw. It's not like Birdman's the first record exec to sit on an album.

In general if a label doesn't think an album has marketable material, they won't bother releasing it in an effort to get the artist to make stuff they do think is more marketable. A lot of record contracts are for # of releases, so if you "waste" one on something you don't think you're gonna make your money back from and/or not maximize your profit, you try to hold off. Also from a label's perspective it's often better to just write off whatever costs went into an album that they actually fronted as sunk than bother putting more money into promotion/production/etc from actually releasing an album they don't have faith in. Also you may not want to "ruin" an established brand by releasing something that underwhelms.

This can also lead to situations like Lupe Fiasco's "Lasers" where he pretty much gave up most of the creative control and just half-assed through poo poo to get something out, or Mos Def's "Tru Magic" where they didn't even bother making a CD jacket and just reused some art for the actual CD from Black on Both Sides. They tried to play it off as being "environmentally conscious" or some crap like that, but it was really them trying to cut production costs by not having a jacket and using some cut-rate jewel cases.

With how the record industry has been going in general, this has seen even "big" artists getting hit. 50 had to leave aftermath because they wouldn't release his poo poo and dude's sold boatloads of music. Supposedly Jay-Z has been sitting on Jay Electronica's album (although he's so random that it's hard telling how much of anything about him is true). I'm mostly surprised that Wayne's seeing trouble because they let him put out IANAHB1 and that album was raw garbage (although iirc he was locked up then so maybe they just wanted to keep his name buzzing, and that was like 5 or whatever years ago).

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if you dont think this new wayne album is going to be a huge stupid turd i dont know what to tell you, i dunno why everyone thinks birdman is some criminal mastermind for not wanting to release it. have you heard his singles? hes still stuck on his pussy-crazed drug fueled bullshit and the only way he could try harder to sound like thugger these days is if he started designing mens dresses for trukfit. if birdman manages (or whatever) real young thug why would he want to keep releasing music by dumb stupid bizarro young thug.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kind of unfair when nothing about young thug would exist without wayne

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Wicked track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Khagan posted:

Too bad you don't get to see this.

I will be attending the Sydney show. I heard Joey's set wasn't so good last time he came out with UA.

Yeah I'm jealous as hell about this. Thinking about it I'll give Nas a shot if I can afford it.

In other news, Denzel Curry just released a well-timed music video for "Zone 3", from last year's Nostalgic 64. It's such an interesting collider of 2010s rap video trends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBBLRCQV0w