Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

meltie posted:

I'm about half-way through I think. It's good, but I wish they'd actually SAIL somewhere instead of dieselling all over the place when there's wind! Is there something a bit special about a liveaboard cat where you have to use the motor if the wind is above 5kts?

Yeah, that's the problem with them, not catamarans. They were super impatient and weren't very good at finding good wind.

Remember, they'd never done their classes and learned anything about sail trim or use of different headsails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with them, not catamarans. They were super impatient and weren't very good at finding good wind.

Remember, they'd never done their classes and learned anything about sail trim or use of different headsails.

It's not just that; they figured some of that stuff out along the way. You can chalk a lot of it up to them believing the fastest way between two points on the map is the route with the least miles regardless of how much faster they'd arrive at their destination if they'd just be willing to beat into the wind.

If I want to arrive at my destination as soon as I can should I take the 142mi road that takes 2h52m or the 160mi route that takes 2h42m?
Bumfuzzle: Take the 142mi route.

I can see why other cruisers would get so up in arms about their blog. A few hours on a Sunfish would have done them a lot of good methinks.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

lol those are Mercury Marine 502's

The guy above you got the boat anchor joke I was half assedly making :v:

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Here's the old boat my grandpa gave me:

Sorry for the crap quality. I have a million better pictures of it, just have to find them. Interestingly enough the Model K engine is a marine conversion of a Hercules QXD, the brother to the motor in Mooecows milk truck.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Goddamn, that is loving beautiful, and classy as gently caress.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those are my all time favorite boats ever, beautiful example.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Six hours in the pouring rain later, unable to feel my fingertips, I can now sort of sail a boat :woop:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Rime posted:

Six hours in the pouring rain later, unable to feel my fingertips, I can now sort of sail a boat :woop:

Awesome! Did you do a course?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
First day on the water. Classroom next week, two more water days, and then exam to get basic skipper / crew cert.

Everyone said I was crazy to sail in December. It was fun as hell. :black101:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rime posted:

First day on the water. Classroom next week, two more water days, and then exam to get basic skipper / crew cert.

Everyone said I was crazy to sail in December. It was fun as hell. :black101:

Best time to do it too, you get to learn to handle nasty weather. I had the second half of my ASA103 cert class November 16th last year.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
My grandfather bought it after selling his business. He had wanted one ever since he worked on Pelican Lake in Detroit Lakes MN as a server in a restaurant on the water in the late 40s to pay for school where he would watch the "speed boats" take people on rides. Occasionally when he had made good tips for a night he would pay the 5 CENTS(!) to go for a "speedboat ride". He told himself if he ever could afford his own speedboat he would get one. When I was growing up I was the only grandkid out of ten that had any interest in the boat (1937 Chris-Craft Custom Deluxe 19' Runabout (it is NOT A BARREL BACK... it is the predecessor to them and the much more rare "notch back" )). As he got older I slowly started taking over more of the maintenance and eventually he couldn't get in and out of it because of his hips. He still loved coming down to the water and watching me take it out, slowly started referring to it as "my (bigfuzzyjesus') boat".

After he passed I found out it had been left to me. They take an insane amount of maintenance and care, every time I take it out its at least an hour ordeal to get it in and out of the water and cleaned up and covered to protect it from the bat poo poo in the boat garage. I change the oil once a season, which is ~9qts of SAE 30 with no filter, it also still runs on 6v and has a golf cart battery, and a bakelite auto-lite distributor that is insanely hard to find parts for (NOS only).

Sorry for the wall of text but I haven't told many people that story, even the people I know that know I own the boat dont really "get it" and I would venture to guess at 23 I am one of the youngest people in the country with this vintage of CC. It was completely restored to concourse quality in 1987, and I have the pictures from the original restoration, still, it is getting long in the tooth, but until I finish school and get a real job some things will have to wait.

If any of you goons ever get to northern MN (Park Rapids area) you're welcome to come over and take it for a spin, I love letting as many people as I can drive it, as it doesn't ride or drive like any other boat Ive ever been in.

If anyone wants more /other pictures I can take them or see what I can dig up, I should try to get some video up too, sounds about is cool as Mooecows milk truck but underwater. And if you have random questions shoot!

Me driving

Super old and crappy, my apologies, but thats the money maker.

VIDEO:http://youtu.be/rUAH8wjHWNM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That thing is loving gorgeous.

I take it that your grandfather hated you and wanted to consign you to a life of being constantly broke to keep this thing looking/running like this. :)

Seriously though, great story, and I hope you are able to keep that in the family forever. Wish I lived anywhere near you so I could come drool on it.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

That boat is awesome - maintenance is key on any boat, but a wooden boat, whew! I'm intrigued by the shots of the boat out of the water - is that your/family place where it's kept, or some kind of marina with the snazzy trolley? What gets it up the hill on those rails?

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Ha thats pretty much my career plan, make enough money to keep and maintain my boat! If you ever get close enough come drool! The boat is on a shore tracker system made by DH docks. Its essentially some big rear end 3 phase leeson AC motors with reduction drives and a block and tackle with stainless line to pull/push the trolley into/out of the water. They are stored in our boat garage about 40 yards back from the water that my great grandfather built before you had to get permitted to build on the water as you could never build a set up like this today. My great grandfather also owned a fuel oil, coal, and ice company, so we have the only gas pump on the lake! The fuel reel is an old reel he sourced off of an aviation fuel truck, with a farm tank gravity feed.

I wish I had better pictures of the actual boat house, but here is my boat and my moms in the boat house:

Hers is a 1960 Thompson my grandpa bought the year my dad was born, he traded it on a mark twain in the 70s and it sat for sale for 2 years on a lot until all the varnish was peeling, he felt so bad he bought it back (for less than he got on trade) and refinished it and held onto it.

Here they are in the water but you can see more of the track:

Annnnd heres my old mans boat:

A 1971 21' Boston Whaler Outrage ribside, his uncle bought it new for fishing in Canada when he was a Boston Whaler dealer. When his business fell on hard times he sold it to my grandparents who kept it in Morson Canada for fishing on Lake of the Woods until 2 years ago when my dad brought it back stateside and had it gone through and refinished. We still take it to Canada fishing ~2 times a summer but we keep it at our cabin on a lift now.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Someone tell me more about these ASA certs though, are they difficult to get? whats the likelihood of me finding a class to start the process in Minnesota or Iowa? My brother and I have a sunfish we love to rip around on, and just sold our hobie 16 because of lack of time to use it. But when I was 15 we went to the BVI on a barefoot cruise with just our family on a Hatteras (36 I think) and I remember thinking about how some day, I would get the licenses and be able to rent one of those catamarans with my family and run over mooring buoys while every experienced seaman around me laughed while I yelled at my wife about how to use a gaff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Ha thats pretty much my career plan, make enough money to keep and maintain my boat! If you ever get close enough come drool! The boat is on a shore tracker system made by DH docks. Its essentially some big rear end 3 phase leeson AC motors with reduction drives and a block and tackle with stainless line to pull/push the trolley into/out of the water. They are stored in our boat garage about 40 yards back from the water that my great grandfather built before you had to get permitted to build on the water as you could never build a set up like this today.

That launch/recovery system and boat house are friggen awesome. Do you live there, or is it just the boathouse on the lake?

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Theres a house next to it, the boat house was originally supposed to have a "game room" on top of it with a pool table etc but it started caving in before they could even think about putting livable space on top (sandy earth). I lived there last summer, before that my grandparents lived there in the summer. I think my parents will retire up there, its where my mom is from.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Someone tell me more about these ASA certs though, are they difficult to get? whats the likelihood of me finding a class to start the process in Minnesota or Iowa? My brother and I have a sunfish we love to rip around on, and just sold our hobie 16 because of lack of time to use it. But when I was 15 we went to the BVI on a barefoot cruise with just our family on a Hatteras (36 I think) and I remember thinking about how some day, I would get the licenses and be able to rent one of those catamarans with my family and run over mooring buoys while every experienced seaman around me laughed while I yelled at my wife about how to use a gaff.
Not hard to get at all, especially if you've already got some on-the-water experience. There are exams at the end of each course for your certification, but as long as you can study a bit the exams aren't difficult.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bigfuzzyjesus, beautiful boat, absolutely stunning and it's lovely to hear the story behind it as well.

Would you ever consider changing to electronic ignition or adding a remote oil filter?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

Bigfuzzyjesus, beautiful boat, absolutely stunning and it's lovely to hear the story behind it as well.

Would you ever consider changing to electronic ignition or adding a remote oil filter?

These are both excellent suggestions. You may even be able to have the original distributor retrofitted with electronic guts, if looking original is a concern.

That boathouse is absolutely amazing, btw.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
There really isn't a way to run a remote on these motors, Chris craft offered a "partial flow" filter on these motors but since it was tapped off the galley to the mains it usually did more harm than good. Community consensus even today is just to run 30wt detergent free so there's no sludge build up in the sump and to change it every 50hrs or when it is winterized. I also thought about converting to electronic ign when I went through the distributor debacle, but in the 33 years my Grandpa owned it the only problem it had was the rotor cracking once (most likely because he installed the cap wrong). And even when that happened it was still cheaper to buy 3 nos rotors and a nos cap then convert it. The only other issue is having to clean up the points every spring. Also this community is insane about changing anything, I have caught crap before for using Phillips head brass screws to hold the floor boards in so I could take them out for the yearly hull cleaning in under an hour (never mind they're the same size as the originals in the same holes and I held onto all the originals). All the hardware is original and the screw slots all face the same direction, thing still has a generator for the same reason.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
If anyone has any questions about being a merchant sailor, or tug boats, or harbor assist tugs in the port of Los Angeles I'm your guy!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

crutt posted:

If anyone has any questions about being a merchant sailor, or tug boats, or harbor assist tugs in the port of Los Angeles I'm your guy!

I want to know everything and see hundreds of pictures.

Honestly, I love watching tugs pushing barges up and downriver here. Are you working on the same size tugs?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Awesome to see a lot of Chris Crafts. I grew up around one of the former CCABC presidents Wilson Wright (http://www.hagerty.com/marinehalloffame/ccabc.aspx). He even offered me my first job as a file clerk, and he's had all sorts of Chris-Crafts in the driveway since I've known him. I'll have to go to his house sometime and see what I can get pictures of; I swear there must be 30 years of "The Brass Bell" in their garage that I helped him get out of the old office when he finally stepped down.

As for me; Dammit BigFuzzyJesus, I wish I'd been able to buy that 16 off of you; I've longed for one ever since I outgrew my 14 Turbo (with me at 260lbs, it's a bit more sluggish than when I was a young boy). All the people with them want too much drat money or use them as yard ornaments. We also have a Sunfish and two of the Sailfishes (the flat-board skimmers that predated the Sunfish), so on a good day when the whole family is at the beach there will be four boats racing around in the waves. Like a few of you, I also hold the dream of getting a sailing cat and living out my middle age on the water. I'll have to figure out how to rig a hoist for a Hobie 16, because while I'm sure sailing a large boat is nice there's absolutely nothing like screaming along the shore on a beam reach, flying a hull out in the trapeze, pulling on the mast for all you're worth, with the tiller in one hand and the main-sheet in the other, all the while getting pounded by the 6 foot sea... Gawd :allears: Unfortunately none of my family does the photographer thing so we just have really fuzzy pictures of a dude on a sailboat.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the 14 with my two brothers and my grandfather rigging it up.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 8, 2014

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Safety Dance posted:

I want to know everything and see hundreds of pictures.

Honestly, I love watching tugs pushing barges up and downriver here. Are you working on the same size tugs?

I've worked on large ocean going tugs and smaller harbor assist tugs. I'll see if I can throw together an album.

Here's one of a crane on deep water construction vessel. (Heerema's Hermod)

crutt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool video. http://www.tu.no/tutv/industri/2014/12/17/se-maskinen-kutte-84-mm-kjetting-pa-1-sekund

It's an emergency chain cutter which eats through 84 mm (3.3") of chain in one second. I assume it has been developed in reponse to a capsizing during anchor handling a few years ago, which caused several fatalities. Pretty impressive!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Last weekend we were trying to sail in a knot of wind, this weekend we got 25 knots and driving rain while doing our practical exam.

That was the most fun I've had in ages. :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rime posted:

Last weekend we were trying to sail in a knot of wind, this weekend we got 25 knots and driving rain while doing our practical exam.

That was the most fun I've had in ages. :haw:

:hfive: Sailing in a storm is simultaneously the most exhilarating and most terrifying thing. Yeah you are absolutely hauling rear end and the reward is :rice: speed levels but poo poo can go to hell in a handbasket in a hurry and the penalty is very steep if it does.

I still haul rear end to the beach with the sail under my arm if I see a good blow coming without too much lightning. 30+ft aluminum mast miles from anything taller does not really enhance the chances of survival in such cases :v: Having been struck before it's not the kind of experience where you ask for seconds.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Beach bum our hobie would have just made you sad haha was more of a boat anchor when we got it, when we sold it it was seaworthy and sailable which it wasn't when we got it. But still very sad.
Also quit teasing us crutt more heavy boats please!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Sailing in storms sucks... When you're 15 days out on a passage, with 15 days to go to your destination, storms are no fun.... Especially when you have a crack in your hull and you're taking on 5+ gallons of water a day. You kinda just have to hold on and hunker down hoping it isn't gonna get any worse... You reach a point after a day or two where the storm stops getting worse and levels out, and you kinda relax because you know you're gonna be fine.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
My girlfriend works at a shop that does custom coverings and canvas for boats. Over the summer a guy brought in this thing for a sea tarp canopy:

Apparently he bought it for scrap for a song at a government auction. He wouldn't say how much, but whatever it was, he got a deal

Behold, the JMEC-01: http://www.antonnews.com/oysterbayenterprisepilot/2007/08/24/news/

The thing is insane. A 1,000hp jet boat that does 50kts and can operate in like two feet of water. He plans to use it guided excursions somewhere around here in AK.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I've heard that the best way to get experience (since club registration is march) is to show up at the docks and try to crew on Race day. However, I am greatly intimidated by the idea of loving up a race with my twenty hours of experience on a boat and poor grasp of technique. I am easily flustered under pressure in front of others.

Should I just suck it up? I don't want to get rusty before I can club it up in the spring.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

At least in the club near me they try to assign the beginners to people who don't really care about winning super much and are in it just for the love of sailing and have expressed an interest in helping teach people

Also there is a sport fishing boat a few slips along from me with 3, 300HP engines O_O

What would you even need 900HP for anyway? It's not even a charter boat

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They don't like having a nice pleasant cruise out to their fishing spot? I wouldn't mind having 900hp to speed my boat out to a wreck made from a ring of tanks thats ~16 miles off shore. Granted, that would probably take more gas than I can carry since the little 90 hp motor will take most of that just trying to get out there and back.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alctel posted:

Also there is a sport fishing boat a few slips along from me with 3, 300HP engines O_O

:colbert:

I've seen that boat on the water. It's crazynuts, but not even a one-off; You can order one, and they'll build it. Their four-engine boats are pretty common, too.

You need to come down to Fort Lauderdale for the boat show to see some really, truly ridiculous poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alctel posted:

At least in the club near me they try to assign the beginners to people who don't really care about winning super much and are in it just for the love of sailing and have expressed an interest in helping teach people

When I was a teenager I crewed for sailboat races with an acquaintance of my dad, and this was exactly the situation. He just loved to sail. I mean the boat was an O'Day 26 (or 29 - it's been a long time), which isn't exactly a racing boat, but we had a great time.

Alctel posted:

If he was really into tournament fishing, those guys want stupid fast boats in order to be the first one to the 'good' spots, and also to maximize the time at the fishing spots before blazing back to the dock right before the deadline. At least that's the excuse the guys with crazy engined fishing boats out here in the desert use.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Locator posted:

crazy engined fishing boats out here in the desert use.

Wait what?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Wait what?

Havasu or Powell I'm guessing.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rime posted:

So I've heard that the best way to get experience (since club registration is march) is to show up at the docks and try to crew on Race day.

If you truly know of no one going racing, yes, this is the best way to do it. Just be upfront about your experience and your desire to learn and someone will pick you up, or point you in the direction of someone that needs crew.

You're probably not going to go out on a big, fast boat your first time that way, but you will get experience. You never know though, on the Flying Tiger and the Soverel 33 I crew on, we've been desperate enough for crew when its really blowing to take a newbie on as rail meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Wait what?

Arizona - we have lakes on the Verde (Bartlett and Horseshoe) and Salt (Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, and Roosevelt), as well as Lake Pleasant on the Hassayampa. There are a stupid number of boats in the Phoenix area, and as noted above, it's not much of a drive to get to any of the Colorado river lakes.

Bass boats with multiple 2-300 HP engines are pretty common, or were when I was active in boating (which has been a while to be fair). I still see them on trailers pretty regular on the highway.