Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I loved how the kid hit Mikage with the acorn and she beat the poo poo out of him and then they got married.

The best part is that the Mushi aren't the reason for most of the troubles during this episode, but we did get to see Ginko work some too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurking Haro posted:

If that's how she got out, the old man's now in limbo, never dying.

True, but he's lived a full life and went more or less aware. It seemed like when the shadow world came in contact with the real world whoever was in it could see the real world so he could feasibly watch over his kids and future descendants that way, plus would have a lifetime of memories to keep him company. I'm not saying it's a great way to spend eternity but if he was approaching it like penance it may be what he feels he deserves. Also just to pull some speculation out of thin air, there's no guarantee that the mushi holding him is immortal; if it dies maybe he is freed and/or dies with it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Ever since Cushion of Thorns I'm really worried about Ginko's left eye. Is it still a creepy black hole?

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
He had a glass eye (that he gave away) in an early episode, but I think other than that it's always been a black hole.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Although I do like the chill opening theme I like how these last two have started without it better. I hope they keep doing that since that means we get a little bit more content.

Yeah, seemed like the best way to break the cycle. Since somebody has to go in for Akane to come out, it was better for the old guy to take her place than some other kid who doesn't understand what's happening. Probably will be weird as hell for Akane since she won't remember anything + all the old folks remembering her as a childhood friend, but at least she will be welcome vs Mikage who was a total stranger at first.

The cycle will never be broken. At some point in the future someone, a kid, an adult, will step in the shadow by accident.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Did the girl with the blackened foot and old woman from the second season special appear in an older episode? They seem familiar

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Relin posted:

Did the girl with the blackened foot and old woman from the second season special appear in an older episode? They seem familiar

Yeah, they're in the archive episode.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Relin posted:

Season 1 episode 20 'A Sea of Writings'. Love the episode as it's one of Ginko's more permanent connections in the world

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
New episode. Remember how in the second episode, that girl sort of astrally projects to this primal mushi space, and she finds Ginko there? I think about that scene a lot. People often talk about the modern clothes he wears, but it's that scene that always made him seem particularly mysterious and formidable to me, more than what we know about his backstory to date could account for.

Anyway, I was reminded of that by the lore in this episode, about these channels that connect the minds of people. I have to wonder.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I liked this episode's setting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the setting was neat. The dilemma fell a little flat for me though. It also seemed like there were a whole lot more dead air scenes than usual.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Truly a terrifying mushi.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, the setting was neat. The dilemma fell a little flat for me though. It also seemed like there were a whole lot more dead air scenes than usual.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, at least we got one with a mostly nice ending. The past few episodes have been kinda :negative:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, at least we got one with a mostly nice ending. The past few episodes have been kinda :negative:

Was it? What if she sends out a signal and never comes back?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

A happier episode this week. :unsmith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I figured the mom was going to turn out to be dead. I guess the ending was supposed to imply as well that there was never anything reeeeally wrong with the kid, he just had a lot of energy and a bit too much of a chip on his shoulder.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, I figured the mom was going to turn out to be dead. I guess the ending was supposed to imply as well that there was never anything reeeeally wrong with the kid, he just had a lot of energy and a bit too much of a chip on his shoulder.

If you're referring to this latest episode, you may want to rewatch it. The mom wasn't dead, she was in a coma and woke up at the end.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Brutakas posted:

If you're referring to this latest episode, you may want to rewatch it. The mom wasn't dead, she was in a coma and woke up at the end.

That's exactly what he's saying. He *THOUGHT* the mom was going to turn up dead.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Whoa, didn't know there was a second season! I loved the first one (still have the original box set with the post cards) so I'm really excited to watch this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, how does any kid live long enough to reach adulthood in the Mushishi world. Everywhere they'd likely explore or play in is a trap/gateway to Moonside.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Man, how does any kid live long enough to reach adulthood in the Mushishi world. Everywhere they'd likely explore is a trap/gateway to Moonside.
Well, the obvious answer is that we're only seeing the "interesting" parts of kids growing up. The vast majority, like 99.999% of the kids in Mushi Japan don't have any ill-fated adventures with Mushi.

And of course, then there're the Mushi-shi which come to the rescue and are more numerous than we probably think. The show wouldn't be very interesting if we watched the normal kids growing up in normal non-Mushi-danger lives.

I keep wondering if Ginko will eventually find someone to become his disciple. He's finding all these kids with Mushi-shi abilities, but he just leaves them with their parents and moves on. You'd think he'd take on one or two as a disciple send them to Mushi-shi school or whatever.

What surprised me the most this episode was that the girl didn't have to climb out of the well. She fell in, but when she came back to normal space-time, she was in her front yard. I figured she'd have to go out the way she came in. Totally blew my suspension of disbelief.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Most people can't even see Mushi, let alone stumble into life-changing situations involving them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan7el posted:

What surprised me the most this episode was that the girl didn't have to climb out of the well. She fell in, but when she came back to normal space-time, she was in her front yard. I figured she'd have to go out the way she came in. Totally blew my suspension of disbelief.

I didn't see this as an issue since when Ginko came back he just reappeared wherever he was standing in "well-space" so the house and everything seemed to be in the same place in both worlds. She returned to normal space next to the bonfire with Ginko because that's where they were both standing in well space. The well was definitely some sort of link between the two spaces but other than when Ginko forced it with the smoke, didn't seem to be a two-way door.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
A show where I'm actually a little disappointed when the OP gets skipped and the opening credits just get overlaid over the first minute or two.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

In this episode of Mushishi, a young boy learns about the water cycle.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

StandardVC10 posted:

In this episode of Mushishi, a young boy learns about the water cycle.
It all turns into tears.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

In this episode of Mushishi, a young boy learns about becomes part of the water cycle.
Fixed that for you.

I rather thought this episode was fairly grim and horrifying. Ginko admits the whole affair is a pile of rare circumstances stacked one atop the other, but boy o' boy did he ever gently caress up that diagnosis/treatment plan.

Also, on the term "drowning". To me, to drown is a final thing. You drowned == you died in water. You don't have a conversation with someone who drowned and say, "So, when did you drown?" That's like saying, "When did you die?"

Maybe I'm being overly picky with semantics. I think "So, when did you almost drown?" is a better choice. Could be just the translation too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nah, it was drowned as in dying. The mushi brings you back from death.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I liked that horrifying episode, and I probably should have known it would be bad when things were so happy halfway through. Kinda wish they showed Ginko admitting that he hosed up, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

It all turns into tears.
Lost in time, like tears in rain.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
I got the impression that the boy 'left' despite Ginko's treatment plan, not because of it, and that in the end it turned out to be inevitable. That made the episode more bittersweet than anything, since because of the mushi the boy and his mother could at least spend several years together.

Certainly preferable to being infected with Watahiko... holy poo poo, that episode (S1E21)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cyberbug posted:

I got the impression that the boy 'left' despite Ginko's treatment plan, not because of it, and that in the end it turned out to be inevitable.
Yeah, earlier Ginko mentions that water-dwelling creatures like salamanders were more closely bound to the mushi and inevitably evaporated. The boy in the womb was basically a water-dweller when the mushi merged with him, and thus was fated to evaporate.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

cyberbug posted:

I got the impression that the boy 'left' despite Ginko's treatment plan, not because of it, and that in the end it turned out to be inevitable.

I thought the opposite at first, but then I realized that this is correct. The boy was either going to jump in the river at some point or evaporate following a severe flood, Ginko's treatment didn't make things any worse but instead just gave the boy a chance to live a normal life for a little while.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

:stonk: Jesus christ that was... especially dark.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
We had a run of bad dads, now it's time for a bad mom as well.

Ultimately, I think there are some relationships that aren't salvageable, and can only be ended in a certain way that is satisfactory for everyone.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Well, that was a downer episode, for one where nobody actually got hurt permanently. But it was an excellent episode. It makes sense that the mother didn't just yell out "Don't do it, I love you and want you to live!" or something because of that imminent lightning strike after all her many years of just not caring or not being able to convey any caring. I noticed that the first time he was hit by lightning, the poor kid was tied to the tree.

I felt bad for the kid, and obviously he was still upset, but he would have been so, so much better off being with some other relative, so it's good that he left.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That kid is loving cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Remember when we had episodes end with stuff like the victim waking up and falling in love with Ginko, and we all laughed since it was cute and funny. Haha, yeah. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Remember when we had episodes end with stuff like the victim waking up and falling in love with Ginko, and we all laughed since it was cute and funny. Haha, yeah. Good times.

Was that before or after the horticulturalist serial killers?

• Locked thread