Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait, no Levi? Is Shikishima taking his role or something? Seems like a weird choice since Levi is apparently super popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Wait why does Hanji have a rocket launcher, and is she standing in front of a ruined parking garage? :psyduck:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Most of the casting of the manga characters looks spot loving on (Hanji looks fantastic aside from the loving RPG :psyduck:), but I'm left wondering why the gently caress Armin isn't blonde.

I'm guessing the plot is going to have almost nothing to do with the original or vaguely adapt it, considering there are 7 random clearly Japanese characters when Mikasa being the last one was sort of plot important.

This poo poo's going to be a The Last Airbender tier trainwreck, can't wait to see how bad it gets :munch:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 20, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Weird random lens flare everywhere, including boob flare?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So Kubal's the antagonist, right? He's got "The Perfect Darkness" right below his name and all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
look real sets with neatly arranged medieval style buildings at the right height to reach a titan's neck aren't easy to make

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

My favorite part is that every single portrait had a "My 1st Photoshop" lens flare.

Eren, Mikasa and Zoe all look fine... the rest, not so much. And then we have seven new characters, six of which are likely to just be an excuse to have more "named character" titan casualties.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 20, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

LEGO Genetics posted:

First look at the live action SNK movie featuring character posters.
I thought you meant this live action SNK movie at first.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's with all the Japanese characters? Japanese actors playing German characters, sure, I can accept that. But then all the new characters have Japanese names. It's a little weird, especially since Mikasa is supposedly the only Asian person in the world.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

What's with all the Japanese characters? Japanese actors playing German characters, sure, I can accept that. But then all the new characters have Japanese names. It's a little weird, especially since Mikasa is supposedly the only Asian person in the world.

quote:

On the cast selection, producer Yoshihiro Sato said he did not pay as much attention to whether or not the cast members looked like the original characters. Instead, he had many discussions with Attack on Titan manga creator Hajime Isayama and went with actors who could act out the "characters' spirits."

I guess that's a plotline that they dropped.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
With the knowledge that the Reisses can manipulate memories en-masse revealed in like the preceding chapter, it should be considered that everything Reiss showed Erin was bullshit. The whole Scene with Grisha eating them was a narrative to Historia, so he's probs just lying out his rear end there too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Memory wipe, yes. Memory falsification, unlikely.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
Also, that power might be specific to an individual. It is probably part of the Command power, so Eren likely has it at the moment rather than Reiss.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The possibility of Reiss lying his rear end off to serve his own interests remains. Not unprecedented.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
At the very least, I assume he's lying about how he got away. We also know gently caress all about Grisa's motives, and I doubt Reiss is exactly presenting a fair and accurate account in that regard.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reiss is more than likely withholding key information from his daughter so she will eat her friend. He's a bad person.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Attn Assholders: Hold onto your asses.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/64/2621/3

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This battle was great, it was flowing really well and I loved the strategy the Survey Corps had.

RIP Hange.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
KENNY!?

:stare:

How the hell does Isayama manage to make us ask more questions than we got an answer to, despite revealing so much?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hmm, I'm not convinced Hange has bit it just yet. Crippled for life, possibly, but not quite dead yet, I think.

Also, drat, didn't expect that betrayal from Kenny. Wondering what he'll do now, steal the injection and become a Titan and try to become king anyway, or?

e: Oh yeah, almost forgot, good job killing a human being, Jean, I'm sure your mother is proud of you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am laughing so hard at Kenny's reaction, he looks like someone just shat in his cereal.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

here's hoping kenny shanks the king and gets eaten by historia

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It's like a nightmarish version of The Giver

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The magazine cover has a white haired person with a sword, what series is that?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jackard posted:

Google says "The Heroic Legend of Arslan"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Kenny continues to be the best character since his introduction :allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jackard posted:

Arslan.

Good series IMO

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Great chapter. Gonna be interesting to see it animated.

Welp there goes Eren's death flag. I'm starting to suspect he will be killed, just so Historia can live up to her namesake. I suspected having the titan's power burns you out though, as the younger brother looked very old. Makes sense that you'd put the titan's power in a bunch of youths. Ymir suggests it can be removed without killing the host though..

Something isn't right here though. Rod is lying about something or has inaccurate information. Grisha tried to murder all of the Reiss (and why would he doom humanity?) and says that there is a way to save humanity with the power Eren has now. I think the "Reiss-only" thing is a lie, or not the whole story. Or Reiss doesn't know something Grisha did. My guess is the rule is a lie to safeguard against people like Kenny.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 7, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nothing to object, it was a good chapter. The discourse made by the enemy in the first pages humanized them to make the fight more ambiguous, a good move by the author. The tactics used were interesting, they didn't simply barged in, and the action itself was impactful and acrobatic (if you think about it, they are almost Cirque du Soleil artists lol). Oh, and a little more backstory and cannibalism and teasing about the true secret of the world. And it finishes with a possible treason.

A complete chapter!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Eren, don't you dare let yourself get eaten, you wanker.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If not just anyone can use this new "instantly fix everything" power... that could explain why Grisha had Eren eat him. My bet is Grisha set it up such that Eren is of some special bloodline- if not the royal one, at least of a bloodline that could do something useful. It would explain why Grisha fed himself to Eren rather than doing whatever he wanted done himself.

The whole reveal that the possessor of the Original Titan's power could have, this whole time, destroy all the titans makes me uncomfortable. There must have been a really loving good reason for Titans to keep existing, and I'm skeptical that we're going to get a good enough one.

Though on the other hand, thinking it over, it's not like people in general were suffering all that much until the wall was broken by Bertholt and Reiner. It may be that things had gotten out of hand and they were about to destroy all the titans or whatever when Grisha burst in and ate them all. Once they'd lost their True King, they were really helpless.

Thinking about it further, this actually makes Annie, Berthold and Reiner's actions... almost morally justifiable! Wow! Consider- titans roam the world. You live outside the walls, and your life is hell. Inside the walls- all the way at the very center- is an individual who can erase all the titans from existence. Especially if there's a large population living outside the walls somehow, getting at that power would be worth it no matter what, because no matter how many people die along the way, ridding the whole world of titans is going to save more people in the long run. Pretty much all their actions make a lot more sense now.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 7, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

Eren, don't you dare let yourself get eaten, you wanker.

Doubt it. Calling it now. Kenny is gonna get mad, have a motive rant, then kill Rod in front of Historia and this act of betrayal will ultimately save Eren. And royally piss him off.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 7, 2014

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Rod is probably telling the truth but if they could have gotten rid of titans, then why not do it some time in the last 100 years? Why did Reiner and Bertolt's village want Eren's ability if they couldn't even use it? I think there's a loophole to the Reiss-only rule and Grisha knew about it; he deliberately killed each Reiss and then fed himself to his son, meaning Eren could probably do something with it that he couldn't and it probably involves the basement somehow.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Welp there goes Eren's death flag. I'm starting to suspect he will be killed, just so Historia can live up to her namesake.

Nah, I doubt it. He's involved in too many unsolved mysteries, particularly the ones involving Grisha. If the next chapter explains what was up with his dream in the beginning of the story then it would be more probable though. Anyway, Historia eating him and resolving the titan problem with magical Reiss powers means they no longer have a reason to go to the basement, so I just can't see it happening.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Ymir suggests it can be removed without killing the host though..
I don't remember this, which chapter?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Thinking about it further, this actually morally justifable etc etc

Not only that- but It's something of the god paradox as well. If god is the embodiment of mercy and compassion, a forest fire breaks out and a tree falls on a deer. It takes hours of agony but the deer finally- mercifully, dies. An omnipotent compassionate god would prevent that agony, or they are not omnipotent and they are not compassionate.

If there exists a person in the walls who could end all you and your family's genuine suffering. Today. Right now. It wouldn't be hard for the victim to consider them, and those who follow them truly evil. This explains why they wanted to kidnap Historia though. It wasn't to keep secrets, it was so they could leverage her importance at the wall's security against Rod. A bargaining chip.

quote:

I don't remember this, which chapter?

http://i.imgur.com/SDk5wDB.jpg Chapter 50's epilogue. It's a fan translation but I'm sure that part is accurate enough.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Eiba posted:

Thinking about it further, this actually makes Annie, Berthold and Reiner's actions... almost morally justifiable! Wow! Consider- titans roam the world. You live outside the walls, and your life is hell. Inside the walls- all the way at the very center- is an individual who can erase all the titans from existence. Especially if there's a large population living outside the walls somehow, getting at that power would be worth it no matter what, because no matter how many people die along the way, ridding the whole world of titans is going to save more people in the long run. Pretty much all their actions make a lot more sense now.

I really dig the theory that at one point in time there was a forth wall, and RBA's village was located within it. Then, the wall got breached, and, instead of sending the titans away or destroying them, the person with the Coordinate engineered a mass-memory wipe in the three remaining walls and left the people in the fourth wall to their fates (the theory goes that without Grisha's intervention, Freida would have done the same thing when Wall Maria was breached, which was why the entire Reiss family was gathered). This makes RBA's attacks on the Wall understandable: if their village was constantly in danger and they had essentially been screwed over by the Royalty, then they had no choice but to breach the walls and try to reclaim the Coordinate so that they could save their people.

I like this interpretation because I feel RBA's village needs to have some prior connection to the people in the walls so that they would reasonably know about the Coordinate ahead of time. If they were a completely distinct group, I feel like it would be contrived for them to have such intimate details about the monarchy and the secrets of the regime. The revelation that they were once apart of the wall people and were abandoned and betrayed goes a long way into explaining RBA's monstrous actions as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

yellowyams posted:

Rod is probably telling the truth but if they could have gotten rid of titans, then why not do it some time in the last 100 years? Why did Reiner and Bertolt's village want Eren's ability if they couldn't even use it? I think there's a loophole to the Reiss-only rule and Grisha knew about it; he deliberately killed each Reiss and then fed himself to his son, meaning Eren could probably do something with it that he couldn't and it probably involves the basement somehow.

I think Rod's knowledge is second-hand knowledge and therefore untustworthy or at least not complete. His is the "king" but from what we know now, the real power and the real knowledge went from his brother to his daughter, and from there to Eren. He never was a chosen one, he only knows what he was told about in the family. As you say, there is a hole in the logic of all this.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Turin Turambar posted:

I think Rod's knowledge is second-hand knowledge and therefore untustworthy or at least not complete. His is the "king" but from what we know now, the real power and the real knowledge went from his brother to his daughter, and from there to Eren. He never was a chosen one, he only knows what he was told about in the family. As you say, there is a hole in the logic of all this.

I like how we were led to believe he knew all the secrets of the titans, but he too knew jack poo poo about everything.

This whole thing reminds me of the cult episode of Gravity Falls.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

http://i.imgur.com/SDk5wDB.jpg Chapter 50's epilogue. It's a fan translation but I'm sure that part is accurate enough.

I remember reading this a while back but I was pretty sure it meant she was going to die and that's why she was crying (Reiner and Bertolt were telling her to run for it while she could too). In the chapter where Ymir tells them to stop and go back for Historia, she explicitly mentions she's going to be eaten by their warriors.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I like how we were led to believe he knew all the secrets of the titans, but he too knew jack poo poo about everything.

This whole thing reminds me of the cult episode of Gravity Falls.

The Reiss are idiots for only ever having one person at a time who knows anything about anything. They're running this cramped society and suppressing technological advancement while also killing people like Erwin's dad because...? Do they even know why or is it just tradition? Grisha most likely knew more than they did (other than Frida), the Reiss were too dumb to live.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 7, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I really dig the theory that at one point in time there was a forth wall, and RBA's village was located within it. Then, the wall got breached, and, instead of sending the titans away or destroying them, the person with the Coordinate engineered a mass-memory wipe in the three remaining walls and left the people in the fourth wall to their fates (the theory goes that without Grisha's intervention, Freida would have done the same thing when Wall Maria was breached, which was why the entire Reiss family was gathered). This makes RBA's attacks on the Wall understandable: if their village was constantly in danger and they had essentially been screwed over by the Royalty, then they had no choice but to breach the walls and try to reclaim the Coordinate so that they could save their people.

I like this interpretation because I feel RBA's village needs to have some prior connection to the people in the walls so that they would reasonably know about the Coordinate ahead of time. If they were a completely distinct group, I feel like it would be contrived for them to have such intimate details about the monarchy and the secrets of the regime. The revelation that they were once apart of the wall people and were abandoned and betrayed goes a long way into explaining RBA's monstrous actions as well.

/mind blown

I really like the theory!

A fourth wall, that way the titan village was a normal village that was lost, and the memory wipe 100 years ago was to make it appear as they always had only three walls! I can't imagine Grisha being ok with forgetting the third wall, but wanted to try to fight them or something, which started the conflict. I suppose there is a trick with the Coordinate ability, and the memory wipe is the "safe" option, while the trying to use it to control the Titans is riskier because reasons. It goes with the theme of the series, the dilemma of hiding safely behind walls but never getting anything done vs going out and risking your life for a sliver of hope of doing something that really improves humankind situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

yellowyams posted:

The Reiss are idiots for only ever having one person at a time who knows anything about anything. They're running this cramped society and suppressing technological advancement while also killing people like Erwin's dad because...? Do they even know why or is it just tradition? Grisha most likely knew more than they did (other than Frida), the Reiss were too dumb to live.

Well it's not like they can do much about it. The power and memories only pass to one person in a generation, said person has titan and mind wiping powers, so good luck forcing it out of them, and apparently the knowledge is such that all the previous bearers have chosen to not reveal it.