Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

I like them at least, they have a good drive. Pretty fun live too.

Twilight of the Gods.
It was actually released today, so here's an official video! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdxRHtNw940

It really could use some more hooks, but I still like it.
I get the sense that this is what Jon Schaffer was trying to write on the last few Iced Earth albums. It's got more of a Demons & Wizards vibe than I'm used to with BG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Trees and Squids posted:

The new song is good but holy gently caress they really went out of their way to drop the audio quality. Is this a mono mix?
I think it's just the video having poo poo audio. The sample/teaser in the album trailer sounds a lot more defined, at least to my ear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Fv0NDghgI

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just got back in from the Gwar show. Missed American Sharks because I had to drive after work, but got there just in time to catch Corrosion of Conformity. Really digging them as a three piece again, and I loved them trolling the audience by playing Hand of Doom up to half way through the first verse before slamming straight into something else.

Non-Brockie Gwar is different but still a damned good show. Blothar's a solid front man, and I'm glad he's kayfabed in as Beefcake's dad. Also cool to see him take over bass duties for two songs, gently caress yes. Vulvatron didn't get enough stage time for me to be totally sold on her, but I can see her working out. She and Beefcake trading off on Hate Love Songs was pretty cool at least.

Crowd was pretty loving nuts. Like during a lull some random dude looks at me kinda bewildered and says something "what the gently caress's going on?" Then he goes "I was at the Slayer show and it wasn't anything like this" so I had to let him know that Gwar shows bring out a lot of crazy people. I saw a dude get crowdsurfed to the front get thrown off the stage by the band and when he came back my way he had actual blood on his head, not sure where from. It got to the point where venue security was on stage with the band, and they were tossing anyone who made it on stage out the back door.

So yeah, Gwar's still fun as poo poo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Shakenbaker posted:

Just got back in from the Gwar show. Missed American Sharks because I had to drive after work, but got there just in time to catch Corrosion of Conformity. Really digging them as a three piece again, and I loved them trolling the audience by playing Hand of Doom up to half way through the first verse before slamming straight into something else.

Non-Brockie Gwar is different but still a damned good show. Blothar's a solid front man, and I'm glad he's kayfabed in as Beefcake's dad. Also cool to see him take over bass duties for two songs, gently caress yes. Vulvatron didn't get enough stage time for me to be totally sold on her, but I can see her working out. She and Beefcake trading off on Hate Love Songs was pretty cool at least.

Crowd was pretty loving nuts. Like during a lull some random dude looks at me kinda bewildered and says something "what the gently caress's going on?" Then he goes "I was at the Slayer show and it wasn't anything like this" so I had to let him know that Gwar shows bring out a lot of crazy people. I saw a dude get crowdsurfed to the front get thrown off the stage by the band and when he came back my way he had actual blood on his head, not sure where from. It got to the point where venue security was on stage with the band, and they were tossing anyone who made it on stage out the back door.

So yeah, Gwar's still fun as poo poo.

I've always wanted to go to a GWAR concert. They had one in Philly a week or two ago but I couldn't go. Did see Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, and Exodus two Wednesdays ago though. Kickass concert, great atmosphere, and I managed to get in the pit for the first time ever.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Welp, Krimh is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-1jufiyio

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I didn't fully appreciate Exodus' new album until I was in the pit during "Blood In, Blood Out". I've been meaning to buy it since then. Hopefully someone will surprise me with it for Christmas.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Apparently Massacre are no longer clients of Eric Greif, after guitarist Rick Rozz posted a facebook status trashing the Death To All tour, while they were on the tour.

That wasn't very smart of him.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hey, look what finally has a video instead of just a lyric video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx01fOYsc6E

oh and here's a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUsinr3PhYQ

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 8, 2014

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Obituary's new album is pretty kickass. Drums sound a bit off, but it's still a great album nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxHqUrikhE

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How can Show No Mercy be so good and the rest of Slayers albums be so decidedly meh?

A mystery for the ages.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They aren't. :ms:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

MrBling posted:

How can Show No Mercy be so good and the rest of Slayers albums be so decidedly meh?

A mystery for the ages.

b-but Hell Awaits.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

A mystery for the ages.

Because you are forever stuck in the early 80s, old man.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Says the guy with a Vic Rattlehead av.

MrBling posted:

A mystery for the ages.

The real mystery is why they tuned to D for Live Undead then up to Eb ever since.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 8, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

Says the guy with a Vic Rattlehead av.

The real mystery is why they tuned to D for Live Undead then up to Eb ever since.

Well it was standard on Show No Mercy so that may have been the real secret.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Cretin's new album "Stranger" is streaming on No Clean Singing and is officially out tomorrow. Absolutely ripping old school death metal/grindish stuff like Repulsion, Terrorizer, et al

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2014/12/01/an-ncs-premiere-cretins-stranger/

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MrBling posted:

A mystery for the ages.

One of my favorite things to do is parrot this exact sentiment (because it's true) on any status from Slayer's Facebook page and I am greeted with a plentiful cornucopia of delightfully misspelled death threats and how I am a worthless poser. I never get tired of it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kirkjames posted:

Cretin's new album "Stranger" is streaming on No Clean Singing and is officially out tomorrow. Absolutely ripping old school death metal/grindish stuff like Repulsion, Terrorizer, et al

I think I like this far better than their previous output.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought we agreed that Slayer suck?

I actually think all of their albums are crap.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I have an uncle who's really into Maiden, Priest and the like and insists that Slayer is death metal, and that that's what everyone called them back in the day. I was born in 86 so, confirm/deny? Other than him I've never heard anyone refer to them as anything but thrash.

Edit: Also Slayer is ok.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I have an uncle who's really into Maiden, Priest and the like and insists that Slayer is death metal, and that that's what everyone called them back in the day. I was born in 86 so, confirm/deny? Other than him I've never heard anyone refer to them as anything but thrash.

My parents call them death metal and they're the biggest posers I know

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

People (not metal fans) frequently call them death metal. They're just about the most extreme band to ever achieve their level of mainstream success.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I thought we agreed that Slayer suck?

I actually think all of their albums are crap.

This thread's title was a tribute to Jeff Hanneman for a while so uh...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
We need the 50-60 guys from every Slayer show who do nothing but yell SLAYYERRRRRRR during the opening band to weigh in ITT

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm not a big slayer fan but I saw them live once and it was Fully Sick and I would recommend it to anyone.

e: ^^^^ The best part was the band that played immediately before Slayer was Megadeth so Mustaine had to listen to a ton of nerds chant SLAYER over and over again between songs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

We need the 50-60 guys from every Slayer show who do nothing but yell SLAYYERRRRRRR during the opening band to weigh in ITT

Unfortunately they do a lot worse than that. Some bands get rocks and glass bottles thrown at them. I mean, I get it:You're here to see Slayer. But show some goddamn respect, y'know?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

ChickenArise posted:

I'm that guy. But at every show, regardless of genre. My friends don't come to shows with me anymore...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Unfortunately they do a lot worse than that. Some bands get rocks and glass bottles thrown at them. I mean, I get it:You're here to see Slayer. But show some goddamn respect, y'know?

Or just show up later.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Or just show up later.

Exactly. I've never understood the impulse to get to a show in time for an opener if you're gonna ignore them or be rude if you don't dig them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Exactly. I've never understood the impulse to get to a show in time for an opener if you're gonna ignore them or be rude if you don't dig them.
Good luck getting up front for the headliner at a packed show without camping out by the stage for two hours beforehand.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Dang I wish they had started throwing bottles at Dave Mustaine, tbh.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
IIRC one of the first shows Slayer booked after they blew up was some theatre with mostly sit down seating only. It got violently remodeled :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kirkjames posted:

This is really good and cool.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hulk Krogan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzWrgcACrPo&t=89s

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
They were known as thrash. I don't think death metal was a thing until the mid-late 90's.

And I don't think those who listened to Slayer in that time were exclusive, I certainly wasn't. I was also big on Testament, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, etc.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Death metal used to be applied to varying stuff back in the day because it and black metal weren't really very distinct at that time, not sure if Slayer would have been called that as well but it's possible.

NarkyBark posted:

They were known as thrash. I don't think death metal was a thing until the mid-late 90's.

Seven churches came out in 85 and by 1988 death metal is pretty well defined as its own thing. I mean you've got scream bloody gore in 1987 and that can't really be called anything but death metal.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 9, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I had a manager that insisted they were speed metal.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

When I went to Ozzfest 98 in San Antonio (a very metal-loving city, somehow), they haaaaaaaaaaated Primus. Just all heckling and flying bottles (and it had nothing to do with them having just released Antipop).

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My parents call them death metal and they're the biggest posers I know
hahahah almost spit my beer out

I like Slayer. I even love God Hates Us All and I don't think the albums after that are bad either. gently caress you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

When I went to Ozzfest 98 in San Antonio (a very metal-loving city, somehow), they haaaaaaaaaaated Primus. Just all heckling and flying bottles (and it had nothing to do with them having just released Antipop).

That's unfortunate because Primus are supposed to be quite fun as a live band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Varg posted:

hahahah almost spit my beer out

I like Slayer. I even love God Hates Us All and I don't think the albums after that are bad either. gently caress you.

High School me liked Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood, and then I realized they kinda blew and Slayer hasn't had a decent album since Seasons in the Abyss.

And plus there's way to much Metal out there to listen to slayer much.