Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

chime_on posted:

It is. Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, it is a super-weird blend of horror and war/espionage based around the black comedy premise of sending an undead soldier on what would otherwise be suicide missions. The covers are by Darwyn Cooke, interior art is by Scott Hampton. It's a gem that I don't think anyone besides me is reading, so I'm sure cancellation is in the cards.

Palmiotti and Gray managed like a hundred issues of Jonah Hex and I think about 7 people read it. Plus Jimmy's also co-writing one of their biggest sellers, that might buy him some leeway for a pet project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Palmiotti and Gray managed like a hundred issues of Jonah Hex and I think about 7 people read it. Plus Jimmy's also co-writing one of their biggest sellers, that might buy him some leeway for a pet project.

Didn't they write a book about a junkie couple that found a golem, too?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Palmiotti and Gray managed like a hundred issues of Jonah Hex and I think about 7 people read it.

I liked how they "rewrote" the canonical ending to give Hex a happy one.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are the omnibus that Dark Horse published of Lone War and Cub traditional U.S. comics style, or are they published like manga?

They are small digest sized B&W comics but the art has been flipped so it reads left to right. Pretty good comics I have been picking them up for around $7 a pop. I have been giving the mangas a try lately. In addition to LWaC, I read the first book of Pluto. Not bad but I feel like I am missing a bunch of references. The North No. 2 chapters were pretty awesome. The translation is pretty good in this book but reading backwards is kinda challenging at times. I also picked up the first Gundam book. This one is really challenging because the translation is super stilted in addition to reading back to front.

Gaz-L posted:

I have been slowly collecting the trades. They seem to be out of print but can still be had pretty cheaply. Knowing my luck the omni will be announced as I buy the last one.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 5, 2014

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

10 Beers posted:

Thanks, guys! Guess I might as well ask, what's everyone reading from Marvel?

All-New Ghost Rider
Black Widow
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Ms. Marvel
Secret Avengers
Cyclops
She-Hulk

... I'm reading a few more than that, honestly, but those're the ones I'd recommend to other people. Shulkie is canceled and SA probably will be soon. I'm also reading Bucky Barnes, which had a shaky-rear end first issue but seems to have improved a lot on issue two, so I'm not sure whether or not I'd recommend it. Technically I'm also reading Hawkeye, though god knows when the gently caress more of that'll come out.

Not reading any DC at the moment, though I'm planning on grabbing the first Harley Quinn trade because I've liked what I've seen flipping through it and a few friends I trust seem to enjoy it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just started reading the FF Hickman v2 omnibus. Could someone give me a quick recap on what happened to the Inhumans and why the Kree are destroying poo poo and why Black Bolt isn't with the Inhumans?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I don't know why the Inhumans were destroying poo poo, but Black Bolt was presumed dead following War of Kings.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The Kree stuff is a flashback to when they were first doing the experiments that spawned the Inhumans. One of the priests or whatever told the Big Head Dude that one of the Inhumans was eventually going to gently caress him up real bad. So he decided to just destroy everything connected with the Inhumans to prevent that. He ended up missing a couple though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I heard just yesterday that at the time the Fantastic Four first came out DC was actually publishing all of Marvels comics.

1) How did that work?

2) When was Marvel able to start publishing on their own?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

If I remember right Timely/Atlas/Marvel signed a deal with National/DC in the fifties to distribute their books because the market was so far in the toilet. The deal ended in I want to say 1968 because of Marvel's popularity.

Remember, at the time proto Marvel was a tiny player in the market. And DC wasn't the media giant they are today. DC limited Marvel to 8 titles a month. That worked just fine for a company that published weird monster books and little else.

DC never published for Marvel as such.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

If I remember right Timely/Atlas/Marvel signed a deal with National/DC in the fifties to distribute their books because the market was so far in the toilet. The deal ended in I want to say 1968 because of Marvel's popularity.

Remember, at the time proto Marvel was a tiny player in the market. And DC wasn't the media giant they are today. DC limited Marvel to 8 titles a month. That worked just fine for a company that published weird monster books and little else.

I want to say that the book-number limit was why they had so many split books, like Strange Tales, featuring Nick Fury and Doctor Strange. (A natural pairing.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

I want to say that the book-number limit was why they had so many split books, like Strange Tales, featuring Nick Fury and Doctor Strange. (A natural pairing.)

Original Sin seemed to think so.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

Yep. And several of Marvel's big titles were bimonthly to stretch the printing schedule.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Speaking of series I still haven't gotten around to reading, is there a good source that shows you what trade paperbacks have been published, and what stories/issues they cover? I really need to switch from individual books (which I've fallen so far behind on that I can't find where I should be) to collected trades.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

prefect posted:

That's exactly why. (Well, it was Human Torch and Dr. Strange at first...)

Granted, Marvel used bimonthly (that is, once every two months) titles to have more than eight comics in publication as well, but they were still limited by the eight titles per month restriction.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

WickedHate posted:

That was Punisher and Dr. Strange.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That was Punisher and Dr. Strange.

Dr. Strange and a grizzled guy with guns, same thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i was not aware that Original Sin involved a team up between Dr. Strange and the Punisher and now I'm intrigued. was it any good? i haven't read an event book since Avengers Vs X-Men and what a mistake that was

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Dr. Strange and a grizzled guy with guns, same thing.

Maybe your confusion stemmed from this.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i was not aware that Original Sin involved a team up between Dr. Strange and the Punisher and now I'm intrigued. was it any good?

I thought it was really interesting for the first five issues and it absolutely shits the the bed in the last two issues with random non sequitur events piling on top of one another.

It was so close, but the event curse strikes again!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i was not aware that Original Sin involved a team up between Dr. Strange and the Punisher and now I'm intrigued. was it any good? i haven't read an event book since Avengers Vs X-Men and what a mistake that was

It's alright in the sense that with the exception of say the last page it's completely predictable. I don't care for Deodato's art but it is Aaron getting to do his love letter to OG Nick Fury using as many Morrison characters as he can (and The Orb).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Didn't DC/Warner consider buying out Marvel when they were going bankrupt in the 90's too?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

It's alright in the sense that with the exception of say the last page it's completely predictable. I don't care for Deodato's art but it is Aaron getting to do his love letter to OG Nick Fury using as many Morrison characters as he can (and The Orb).

Aaron's Marvel stuff has been very hit or miss considering how insanely dope his Ghost Rider run was.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aaron's Marvel stuff has been very hit or miss considering how insanely dope his Ghost Rider run was.

His stuff is either awesomely stupid or just plain stupid depending on the phase of the moon he gets the idea during.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I'm looking to sell comics. Mostly trades, nothing rare or special, unless you count kickstarters. Couple questions.

1) How do people ship books these days, and how much does it cost? I've read that media mail is not allowed for comics but may be allowed for trades and graphic novels.

2) Have people had good luck selling on the marketplace forum here?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just got a trade via Media Mail, so I guess it's technically okay. I mean, USPS isn't really ripping open packages to ensure there's no ads in them. I usually just sell stuff on Amazon. If you price your book around the same as the lowest, they usually sell pretty quickly.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

chime_on posted:

It depends on who you ask. People who read DC books think that there are some that are good. People who only read ABOUT the books on blogs and forums think that everything is terrible. I'm one of the former. Here's what I think is good:

New 52 Futures End
I mean this with no malice at all, but what do you like about Futures End? I think you are literally the first person I've seen saying they like it. I know I have an allergy to Snyder/Johns/a lot of the things people love here and elsewhere, and I've come to grips with that. But Futures End?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

lifg posted:

I'm looking to sell comics. Mostly trades, nothing rare or special, unless you count kickstarters. Couple questions.

1) How do people ship books these days, and how much does it cost? I've read that media mail is not allowed for comics but may be allowed for trades and graphic novels.

Media mail for TPBs is just fine. It's technically not okay for floppies, but I've used it from time to time with no problems.

I've sold some things in the market place when we had a buy/sell thread, but it depends solely on interest and there just not a huge amount of comic buys on the forum. Nothing wrong with putting up an ad and seeing if anyone bites.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I left Futures End once and came back for a few issues thanks to a strong LCBS stock-clearing sale, but by #22 I was gone for good. Comixology's not helping with their Futures End sale that only includes issues 0-4.

Anyway, some good recent DC comics include:
Lemire's Green Arrow
Azzarello's Wonder Woman
Much of Sensation Comics
Animal Man
Injustice
Flash Season Zero
Batgirl
Swamp Thing
Batman Zero Year
Batman '66
Williams III's Batwoman
Gotham Academy (kind of hit or miss for me, but reviewers are nuts for it)
Grayson (you can hate everything on this list but you gotta give it up for Grayson)
edit: Multiversity of course, duh

If anyone knows good DC titles that follow in that vein, please let me know (I can take this to the recommendation thread if it's a bother)

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean this with no malice at all, but what do you like about Futures End? I think you are literally the first person I've seen saying they like it. I know I have an allergy to Snyder/Johns/a lot of the things people love here and elsewhere, and I've come to grips with that. But Futures End?

I don't know, I just like it. It's funny. It throws a bunch of insane poo poo against the wall on a weekly basis. It heavily utilizes a cast of characters from canceled New 52 comics that I enjoy, like Frankenstein. It's got a lot of Jack Kirby creations in it. The multiverse is integral to the plot. I'm a big fan of all the writers involved (except Jurgens, who I don't hate or anything). Ryan Sook's covers are incredible. I don't know, I just like it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

lifg posted:

I sell on eBay. They take a flat 10% (including your shipping fees). I usually charge $4-5 for shipping (media mail) and include tracking.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

If anyone knows good DC titles that follow in that vein, please let me know (I can take this to the recommendation thread if it's a bother)

The vein of being good? Dial H!
Recently, Greg Paktion Comics, Johns Superman, Justice League United, new mob boss Catwoman, G.I Zombie is surprisingly good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 10, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just me or did classic Silver Age Marvel (and possibly DC too) just have substantially more text per issue and hell per panel then even today or was this just a Stan Lee thing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gfanikf posted:

Is it just me or did classic Silver Age Marvel (and possibly DC too) just have substantially more text per issue and hell per panel then even today or was this just a Stan Lee thing?

Comic books were much heavier on the expository dialogue back then; it wasn't just a Stan Lee thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm reading Walt Simonson's Thor run and it's the same thing.

Basically a couple of things happened; modern Marvel uses fewer heavy narration boxes in general which leads to less repetition and purple prose, and they stopped using thought bubbles, which in the day were mostly used to recap the plot/character powers.

For me it honestly makes comics of that era hard to read since so much of it is completely inconsequential or just endless instances of "When that box hit me in the head it turned me into the wondrous Kellogg! I'll use my incredible Special K powers to take care of this roustabout!".

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 16, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Old comics were expected to be done-in-one, and often with several stories per issue (since more stories = more value, back then), so there was less room to let the art speak for itself. Comics also came out of the pay-by-the-word pulps as well, and it took a long time for comics to outgrow that particular long-winded writing style even long after the reason for writing in that fashion faded away.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 16, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Old comics were expected to be done-in-one, and often with several stories per issue (since more stories = more value, back then), so there was less room to let the art speak for itself. Comics also came out of the pay-by-the-word pulps as well, and it took a long time for comics to outgrow that particular long-winded writing style even long after the reason for writing in that fashion faded away.

The initial appearance of Galactus is only half-a-book long. Nowadays something like that would take three full months minimum.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I am reading Simonson's Thor very slowly (like an issue a week) and it's all good, just that I don't have much stamina to power through the run as I could with modern comics.

My preference is done-in-one comic stories that don't have old-school exposition. Today I read an issue of Batgirl (Steph) and Supergirl beating Dracula clones and being BFFs but nooooo we gotta write for trade/build up events...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That's not quite accurate. The Galactus story is an "epic" of the time in that it spanned three issues, though the actual length of the story is more like two issues. In issue #48, they wrap up the Inhumans plot and then start the Galactus plot partway through the issue, which continues through to #50, in which it wraps up about halfway through the issue and then moves on to a Johnny-in-College plot. It says a lot regarding the faith Kirby & Lee had regarding the plot that they thought people would stick around for three whole issues to read it all!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's not quite accurate. The Galactus story is an "epic" of the time in that it spanned three issues, though the actual length of the story is more like two issues. In issue #48, they wrap up the Inhumans plot and then start the Galactus plot partway through the issue, which continues through to #50, in which it wraps up about halfway through the issue and then moves on to a Johnny-in-College plot. It says a lot regarding the faith Kirby & Lee had regarding the plot that they thought people would stick around for three whole issues to read it all!

Apologies. I could have sworn that Galactus himself didn't show up until the end, and that the first part of the storyline was just about the Surfer. :tipshat:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To be fair, as aforementioned in this thread, a number of early Marvel books would feature two characters, so a lot of early Marvel stories were crazy short. This, of course, wasn't that atypical of the time, a lot of the old monster / sci-fi tales that preceded (and influenced) Marvel superheroes in books like Tales to Astonish also stuffed two stories into a single comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've heard that one of Jim Shooter's rules when he was EIC at Marvel that any issue should be capable of being someone's first, so they had to have enough exposition to get new readers up to speed.