Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Robawesome posted:

workin in the FUD mines is tough

You load sixteen buts, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

like the honest american coal miner, i mine for laffs shirtless and sexily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

You load sixteen buts, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt

Satoshi, don't you call me 'cause I can't go,
I owe my soul to a banker offshore

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wait did that really happen

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah it turned out mlr was satoshi :rip:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://explainbitcoinlikeimfive.com/
they do not understand five year olds
also lol

quote:

Individual Websites can be hacked, HTTP cannot.
Individual email addresses can be hacked, SMTP cannot.
Individual Bitcoin wallets can be hacked, Bitcoin cannot.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://explainbitcoinlikeimfive.com/
they do not understand five year olds
also lol

i liked this one

quote:

Bitcoin is a scam in the sense that Google is a scam (they're both not). Some people speculated on Google stock in the early 90's and benefited greatly; This doesn't make Google a scam or a ponzi scheme.

People don't like being wrong, or having their beliefs challenged. The idea that Bitcoin can change the world scares people.

There are also people who heard of Bitcoin early, but didn't care or didn't acquire any. These people feel they "missed out" and hate that Bitcoin is gaining momentum.

That 12 year old who called you a hacker? There's no way in his mind that you're actually just better, so therefore you must be hacking.

That gym bro who says you take Steroids? There's no way in his mind that you actually worked hard for a long time, so therefore you must be on steroids.

That girl who tells people you're a slut? There's no way in her mind that people might actually like you better, therefore you're a slut.

Some people cannot accept the old system is broken, so in their minds bitcoin HAS to be a scam.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm a slut

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm a slut

quote:

Was looking to splurge on a high class hooker for my birthday, found one that accepts bitcoin! (NSFW) par _throw---away_

quote:

[–]stormsbrewing 0 point an hour ago
She spelled independent wrong...
perma-lienenregistrersignalerdonner du goldrépondre

[–]skreedle 1 point 21 minutes ago
Please, please. When nature configured this lovely lass, not a lot of development resource was spent on brain functions. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

that one hot bitch who take our play money she so loving dumb lol

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 8, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2olr8k/thanks_to_bitcoin_we_earned_10k_in_1_month_by/

quote:

[–]furiouscoiner 28 points 12 hours ago

I suspect you just poo poo in the boxes and cut out the middle manhorse
Disrupting Big poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's nothing, the entire bitcoin economy is a bull poop delivery service

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
yesssssssssss my alma mater is in the bitcoin bowl i do not know if i have ever been this happy

edit: unsurprisingly, my alma mater was p bad at football this year

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Greyhawk posted:

i liked this one

I'm the guy who speculated on Google stock in the early 90s.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

blugu64 posted:

buying goog stock when the founders were in grade school is exactly like bitcoin

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

blugu64 posted:

worth nothing, and when a meaningful version does finally come along, yours will still be worth nothing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i made a dumb bitcoin bowl tweet and some random dude sent me a bitcoin tip. i am now a bitcoin owner. ask me anything.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Endless Mike posted:

i made a dumb bitcoin bowl tweet and some random dude sent me a bitcoin tip. i am now a bitcoin owner. ask me anything.

rope or co2?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boxturret posted:

rope or co2?

uh

rope?

wait, no, co2 please

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

yesssssssssss my alma mater is in the bitcoin bowl i do not know if i have ever been this happy

edit: unsurprisingly, my alma mater was p bad at football this year

someone needs to go

can't be worse than battleground

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ayn rand hand job posted:

someone needs to go

can't be worse than battleground

i will make sure to watch facebook and report back to the thread, because my fb friends are probably going to be legit funny, lots of rednecks posting "what the hey is a bitcoin"

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Endless Mike posted:

so have you retipped it to mark karpeles?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TVarmy posted:

so have you retipped it to mark karpeles?

ok, this is definitely what needs to be done with all little worthless bitcoin tips from now on

Karpeles' existence is the funniest thing about coinz nowadays imo, they hate him so so much

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

...!

quote:

[–]KoKansei 6 points 4 hours ago

I know I'm going to get downvoted for asking this because some people will be offended (and the trolls will have a field day), but maybe it's a question that deserves to be asked so gently caress it: what if the essence of bitcoin is actually hopelessly beyond the comprehension of 99% of the general population due to high intelligence / education thresholds required to appreciate it to the point where one has an "ah-ha" moment of real understanding?

I guess the question could be rephrased as: "is the current inability of a substantial proportion of the population to comprehend bitcoin a function of intelligence, education or some other variable (ability to think outside established frameworks, etc.)?"

If the conclusion that follows from the answers to the above two questions is "98% of the population will never be able to comprehend bitcoin on a meaningful level" (by "comprehension at a meaningful level" I mean comprehension to the point that the person in question can provide a coherent real-time synopsis of the whitepaper, though not necessarily all the details), then how will adoption and growth of the bitcoin economy be affected?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'll do it but i don't even know how. i think i just need his twitter account?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
guys what if like 99% of the population are just too dumb to comprehend why butts are funny? :ohdear:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

only tip him if he does buttcoin articles.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/12/08/blockchain-info-security-disclosure/

quote:

Blockchain.info Security Disclosure
Alyson · December 8, 2014 · Leave a Reply

When making a scheduled software update overnight to our web-wallet, our development team inadvertently affected a part of our software that ensures private keys are generated in a strong and secure manner.

The issue was present for a brief period of time between the hours of 12:00am and 2:30am GMT on December the 8th 2014. The issue was detected quickly and immediately resolved. In total, this issue affected less than 0.0002% of our user base and was limited to a few hundred addresses.

We have sent an alert to all users who have potentially vulnerable addresses in their wallets, for which we have an email on file. We are committed to working with any affected users to assess and rectify any issues.

If you created a wallet, generated a new address via Blockchain.info’s web-wallet, or sent bitcoin from your wallet during this time period and have not provided us with your email address, please contact our support desk at support@blockchain.zendesk.com or simply create a new wallet.

Addresses, wallets and transactions created via the Blockchain.info iOS and Android apps, and the Chrome extension are not affected.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Blockchain.info Development Team

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2onl1y/at_least_hundreds_of_coins_were_stolen_from/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the best part, posted on bitcointalk
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.msg9774894#msg9774894

Re: Reused R values again
Today at 11:18:08 AM
Hello,

there were a large bunch of new broken addresses today (several 100s in one day). I took the liberty of saving some funds before they got swiped by others. If you can convince me that they belong to you (signing a message with the address is obviously not enough; the private key is already known), I will send the funds back.

Look into the file http://johoe.mooo.com/bitcoin/broken.txt, to see whether your address was broken.

also lol@ at the notes on the transactions

https://blockchain.info/address/1HuqM18GMVaLxTRGdmSgytzVYnhRzu7U68

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
$80k stolen at least lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

$80k stolen at least lol

BE YOUR OWN BANK!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i dont get how the coiners don't understand that bitcoin will never be successful as long as constant vigilance isn't needed to keep them safe

yes, Target had a large amount of data stolen because centralization - and the majority of the damage that can be done with your stolen data is relatively easy to reverse

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

i dont get how the coiners don't understand
a mixture of stupidity, naivety, and cognitive dissonance, hth

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

i dont get how the coiners don't understand that bitcoin will never be successful as long as constant vigilance isn't needed to keep them safe

I don't even know what sort of vigilance would even protect you in this case. It was literally "blockchain info changed their code suddenly and it was bad, sorry!". I can't even imagine a way a consumer could protect against that. Even if they personally read the source code to the site to check it was changed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

do i have to report my $0.25 bitcoin tip to the irs?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

other sources of income: that one tweet i made

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't even know what sort of vigilance would even protect you in this case. It was literally "blockchain info changed their code suddenly and it was bad, sorry!". I can't even imagine a way a consumer could protect against that. Even if they personally read the source code to the site to check it was changed.

how about : not being so dumb as to give money to a sketchy unregulated uninsured site which doesn't guarantee you a refund if you lose money as a result of a failure on their part

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

they protect themselves by not using the service in the first place.

everything about bitcoin "security" involves getting rid of anything resembling convenience.

offline cold wallet on paper, generated with a thoroughly checked address generator on a pc that's never been online using a live cd, stored in an offsite vault.

any time someone tries to introduce convenience to bitcoins e.g. online wallets and trading systems it ends up being a vector for theft. 100% of the time. because the system itself is not designed to be usable (at all), and relies on everyone being a lone wolf conspiracy sperg to protect their wallet

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

theflyingorc posted:

personally, and this might not be a popular opinion here in the 'pos, i like how this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

they protect themselves by not using the service in the first place.

everything about bitcoin "security" involves getting rid of anything resembling convenience.

offline cold wallet on paper, generated with a thoroughly checked address generator on a pc that's never been online using a live cd, stored in an offsite vault.

any time someone tries to introduce convenience to bitcoins e.g. online wallets and trading systems it ends up being a vector for theft. 100% of the time. because the system itself is not designed to be usable (at all), and relies on everyone being a lone wolf conspiracy sperg to protect their wallet

I don't even know what sort of degree a person would need to be able to reliably personally verify the security of their rnd generator.

• Locked thread