Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

extreme_accordion posted:

That's at the carousel.
The explanation I heard from our council and vscda drivers was this: on it, and have to lift, you're hosed because the forces on the car will pull you out or spin you. 3rd gear and 30-50% throttle.

In the Golf I short shift into 4th before turning in, but that's a fwd car. It's a lot of fun in the wet because there's more than one line around there. Hope WRL gets a Road America date some time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Kind of a lame day at Auto Club Speedway. It was like 60 degrees on Monday, but 90 degrees today because Fontana. It was about 110 last month but I was 3 seconds faster. Couldn't get it together today, plus there was that piney trash smell wafting though the air because of the trash dump next door.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

drgitlin posted:

In the Golf I short shift into 4th before turning in, but that's a fwd car. It's a lot of fun in the wet because there's more than one line around there. Hope WRL gets a Road America date some time soon.

I'm sure we'd be there. The Double 7 was a great experience.
Communicating with the event staff was pretty nice.
Website... eh it's poo poo trying to get a car reg'd.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Well I've been living in awful Flint, Michigan for a while, but turns out there's a great little track nearby called Waterford Hills with lots of open days. Here's me tripoding my '82 911!

Later on that day something started to fail and I understeered hard out of that corner. Haven't had the time to get into it but the front wheels felt like they had about 10x as much play in the bearings as they should...

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Dave Inc. posted:

Well I've been living in awful Flint, Michigan for a while, but turns out there's a great little track nearby called Waterford Hills with lots of open days. Here's me tripoding my '82 911!

Love Waterford but It beats the hell out of me. We did a private day last year (~10 cars open track) and I was sore all over the next day. You should come to the 3Balls events next year. :) We usually do at least one Waterford event, a trip to mid-ohio, and a couple weekends at Grattan and Gingerman.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Possibly the dumbest or coolest thing I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDfXMDApLNM&t=14s

Nice to see him pass a radical like it wasnt even there, usualy those things are the quickest things on track.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

track day bro! posted:

Possibly the dumbest or coolest thing I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDfXMDApLNM&t=14s

Nice to see him pass a radical like it wasnt even there, usualy those things are the quickest things on track.
I honestly hate that noise. Its much too weedwacker-ish for me.
But yeah, making a joke of everything else on the track is amusing.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Attending my first track day tomorrow in two years with my Evo 8. That last time I went the car was stock, now it has suspension, rear-cage and about 70HP more.

It's a Time Attack event with 10min sessions (I think), but the weather is shaping up to be stupid hot with 41 Degrees C (106 F). Any advice for cooling the car down? It has an upgraded intercooler and the water spray is still operational. I was planning on basically dumping ice cold water into the spray reservoir at the start of each session, and only doing two hot laps and then a cool lap. I don't have one of those industrial fan things to blast the car afterwards, but I was going to bring a spray bottle if that'll help.

I'll be taking lots of water and coolant and basically taking it easy as it's been a while for me anyway.

(CMA is the business I work for.)

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'm sure you know this stuff but:
Remember not to set the handbrake after your session. Once you're stopped in the paddock let the car cool down before shutting the engine off, especially for a turbo. Popping the hood to help radiate the heat helps. 5-10 mins cooling down at stopped idle is what I do after track sessions in my cars.

Also that car looks dope.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Can the handbrake stick on with the heat?

Cheers, had the car for a few years now and it's slowly transforming in a race car.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Timage posted:

Can the handbrake stick on with the heat?

After 15-20 minutes of track driving the brake pads and rotors are super loving hot. Pulling the handbrake and leaving the car to sit is an easy way to damage or even fuse your brakes.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe this is why my track day sucked?

Dragging brake? The back of the pad look like melted, carbonized plastic. You can see the spot where I poked it and it flaked off.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I've seen the paint on the back side of a brake pad bubble like that on my brothers car. The brakes still worked though. That does look like an awful lot of pad transfer though. Maybe overheating your pads.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

sig11 posted:

Love Waterford but It beats the hell out of me. We did a private day last year (~10 cars open track) and I was sore all over the next day. You should come to the 3Balls events next year. :) We usually do at least one Waterford event, a trip to mid-ohio, and a couple weekends at Grattan and Gingerman.

The first time I went with the 911 it beat me up pretty well too; the bolstering on the seat is pretty soft and you slide around on the leather. By the end of the day I was wincing in pain every time I went through turn one from trying to keep my rear end in the seat. Still, fun little track!

I may end up moving somewhere else before the spring, but if I'm still around I'll check it out. What are the 3Balls anyway?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just don't do too many hotlaps in a row. With short time attack sessions you'll only be able to do like 3 anyway so I doubt you'll have issues. Do you have coolant and oil temp gauges? Stock turbo/what kind of power?

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

I may end up moving somewhere else before the spring, but if I'm still around I'll check it out. What are the 3Balls anyway?

3Balls is the best track day group in the area. Low car counts for lots of track time and really laid back group. We camp at the tracks most of the time and usually drink too much when the track goes cold. http://3ballsracing.com

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Tape off your headlights. They are $600/pop and if you sit behind someone with sticky tires, they are going to sandblast your front end with any road debris they pick up.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

jamal posted:

Just don't do too many hotlaps in a row. With short time attack sessions you'll only be able to do like 3 anyway so I doubt you'll have issues. Do you have coolant and oil temp gauges? Stock turbo/what kind of power?

Don't have aftermarket gauges yet. Car is making 330 wheel HP at 22psi on E85.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It'll probably stay pretty cool. E85 helps a lot.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Might be worth it to pull the hood vent drain pan for more ventilation.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

sig11 posted:

3Balls is the best track day group in the area. Low car counts for lots of track time and really laid back group. We camp at the tracks most of the time and usually drink too much when the track goes cold. http://3ballsracing.com

I did a track day with 3balls at Gratten a year ago and it was a great experience.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Speedventures put up their schedule for next year... no muffler day at Laguna Seca, night session at Willow Springs and wtf, a weekend at COTA.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Woo, NASA-MA has 3 weekends on the schedule for the new Dominion Raceway.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I also heard COTA was reconsidering their aloof stance on the prols taking to their sacred tarmac. Good to see some dates getting announced.

Looks like Laguna is getting even more accessible. ChumpCar has a full 3 day weekend next year (yeah 4th of July but still).

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

parid posted:

I also heard COTA was reconsidering their aloof stance on the prols taking to their sacred tarmac. Good to see some dates getting announced.

COTA has been available all along. There was some to-do in the first year as they tried to cancel amateur weekends, but they realized pretty quickly that you can't pay for a venue like that with just a handful of pro events per year.

The issue now is making the financials work for amateur events. COTA charges so much more than anyone else for track rental and that gets passed along as entry fees that are 2-3x anywhere else in the region. Everyone will pay the price once to say they've done it, but organizers aren’t yet sure how much repeat business they can draw at those prices.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Our tentative schedule for next season has been decided. No Chump races this year, all WRL since it favors our car.

BIR 5-2/3, MAM ???, Autobahn 8-29/30, Dominion 10-24/25. Our 'home' track, return to Autobahn then two new tracks. Should be a fun season, now I just need to start ordering parts to repair the car from my brain fart last race.

I need to look into some track days for next year in the South East region. Thinking Barber, VIR, Little Tally and Road Atlanta are all reasonable distance.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

parid posted:

Looks like Laguna is getting even more accessible. ChumpCar has a full 3 day weekend next year (yeah 4th of July but still).

Yeah but they'll waste days one and two with autocrossing and tractor racing and leave the actual endurance thing to the Monday. ;)

NitroSpazzz - see you at BIR!

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Do you guys who track your street cars do really short service intervals on things like oil and spark plugs?

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Do you guys who track your street cars do really short service intervals on things like oil and spark plugs?

I test my oil once a year and adjust accordingly... Usually change my oil roughly every 2 track weekends. Have never done spark plugs on my 2009 370Z.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Fluids yes; spark plugs, etc. inspect and replace as needed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Looking at the calendar for 2 clubs in the area. The ones with prices are one, no prices are the other. The asterisks are days with driver school for first timers (like me). Buddy say NCRC (prices) is a better group of people than trackmasters (without). I wouldn't be attending all of them, but any tracks I would particularly not want to miss? Buttonwillow is like 6 hours away, :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I love ncrc. So cheap. Not that novice friendly though if that applies.
I'd avoid buttonwillow and thill in the summer unless you have no choice and serious faith in your cooling system.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I think you should strongly consider a day explicitly for newbies. A lot goes on on the track and the officials and other drivers will be far more forgiving of slow and "bad" driving than at an open track day. The day should be set up better for new drivers, including providing an instructor.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

parid posted:

Skip Barber is leaving and they're ending up with lots of unsold 90.5db days.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Watkins Glen given $2.25M by the state to aid in the repaving and modernization of the track

http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2014/12/12112014.aspx

I heard about it getting repaved earlier, but any idea what's meant by modernization? Really hope to get on it for a real track day next year :downs:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Maybe it means bringing it up to modern safety standards? Pulling ARMCO away from the pavement, adding SAFER barriers/tire walls, and putting down more FIA rumble strips.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Maybe it means bringing it up to modern safety standards? Pulling ARMCO away from the pavement, adding SAFER barriers/tire walls, and putting down more FIA rumble strips.

I was going to say putting spikes on all of the concrete barriers to really up the stakes, but to each his own. :shobon:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Recaro is no longer certifying their Pole Position seats are FIA 8855-1999 compliant. poo poo. They say they're looking for a field upgrade solution to fix the issue, but no ETA.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/rm%2014-21%20final.pdf

It's not a huge deal for me because FIA seats aren't required at DE, but it's a pisser that the seats aren't as legit as they were promised. I'd be furious if I had bought these for a series where the FIA cert mattered.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

I love ncrc. So cheap. Not that novice friendly though if that applies.
I'd avoid buttonwillow and thill in the summer unless you have no choice and serious faith in your cooling system.

ColdPie posted:

I think you should strongly consider a day explicitly for newbies. A lot goes on on the track and the officials and other drivers will be far more forgiving of slow and "bad" driving than at an open track day. The day should be set up better for new drivers, including providing an instructor.

Oh, I'm definitely a newbie having never driven on a track before. My issue is while I wouldn't mind tracking my current vehicle I wouldn't trust it on a track without putting a decent amount of money into it (tires, brakes, shocks, all fluids and several of the filters at a bare minimum as its been neglected for a long time) and the new vehicle is still 4-6 months away and I would want to get comfy with it before taking it to a track anyways.

That said, any suggestions of newbie events I might want to attend? On that list I posted I would definitely be attending a drivers school grouping first rather than an open track group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Looking forward to trying out these R888Rs and 595 rsrrs next year lads.
I think my boss is gonna let me lap the ring in his xbow as well. :getin: