Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

alan i just wanted to thank you for recommending busdriver's new album because it's absolutely fantastic. he's a fantastic producer and even though sometimes he gets way too corny for his own good (upsweep is loving terrible) songs like motion lines are beautiful. hellfyre club had a great year with perfect hair, toothpaste suburb and dark comedy. great poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

alansmithee posted:

This isn't it at all btw. It's not like Birdman's the first record exec to sit on an album.

In general if a label doesn't think an album has marketable material, they won't bother releasing it in an effort to get the artist to make stuff they do think is more marketable. A lot of record contracts are for # of releases, so if you "waste" one on something you don't think you're gonna make your money back from and/or not maximize your profit, you try to hold off. Also from a label's perspective it's often better to just write off whatever costs went into an album that they actually fronted as sunk than bother putting more money into promotion/production/etc from actually releasing an album they don't have faith in. Also you may not want to "ruin" an established brand by releasing something that underwhelms.

This can also lead to situations like Lupe Fiasco's "Lasers" where he pretty much gave up most of the creative control and just half-assed through poo poo to get something out, or Mos Def's "Tru Magic" where they didn't even bother making a CD jacket and just reused some art for the actual CD from Black on Both Sides. They tried to play it off as being "environmentally conscious" or some crap like that, but it was really them trying to cut production costs by not having a jacket and using some cut-rate jewel cases.

With how the record industry has been going in general, this has seen even "big" artists getting hit. 50 had to leave aftermath because they wouldn't release his poo poo and dude's sold boatloads of music. Supposedly Jay-Z has been sitting on Jay Electronica's album (although he's so random that it's hard telling how much of anything about him is true). I'm mostly surprised that Wayne's seeing trouble because they let him put out IANAHB1 and that album was raw garbage (although iirc he was locked up then so maybe they just wanted to keep his name buzzing, and that was like 5 or whatever years ago).

This is true. An interesting thing about the recording industry is that even if they get released, about 9 out of 10 artist never recoup on their album. I'm not saying that they don't just make a profit- I'm saying they never even make enough money through sales to even recoup the cost of their album. The major labels count on that 1 artist who does to sell enough units to make up for the 9 that never make it. There's no other business in the world that can continue to operate at a 90% failure rate. There is so much pressure, and so much politics involved in pushing the right artists (in Cash Money's case, Nicki and Drake basically) to stay viable that if you don't play the politics, you end up in a Lupe Fiasco (or now Weezy) type situation. That's really what made "indie rock" in the 90s, (and later "indie rap" in the 2000s) so attractive in the first place.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
YMCMB is dead.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

new joey bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMnXxNdclg

Rrrreally looking forward to B4.DA.$$

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It definitely makes sense to wait on a hit before releasing Waynes album, it could be the difference between selling 500000 and 3 million. But at the same time when you can't keep your marquee artist who is also basically your son happy it looks like pretty bad management.

Also didn't Drake have to sue Young Money a couple years ago because they hadn't paid him a single royalty check in like 3 years with the company or something?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

These Mystikal tracks. I'm loving the beats.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Just popping in to say that I normally listen to either jam band stuff like Widespread Panic or esoteric electronic music like Squarepusher, but in all honesty, Run the Jewels 2 is the best album that came out this year. That is all.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Budget Prefuse posted:

alan i just wanted to thank you for recommending busdriver's new album because it's absolutely fantastic. he's a fantastic producer and even though sometimes he gets way too corny for his own good (upsweep is loving terrible) songs like motion lines are beautiful. hellfyre club had a great year with perfect hair, toothpaste suburb and dark comedy. great poo poo

Glad you enjoyed it. Busdriver's never gonna be a dude who gets tons of listens because he's definitely an acquired taste, but if you can get down with what he's doing it's usually rewarding. Also fwiw I liked Upsweep. I fully understand it's corny, but I don't even care because I can def cruise and yell out that hook like idgaf. Motion lines (among other things) shows he's not totally unable to make listenable stuff despite his reputation because as you say, it's really a nice track. I still gotta give Milo's album another listen (i wasn't impressed initially) but Dark Comedy is still my top album of the year. It's pretty much the perfect "grown man poo poo, non-street version" album.

Anyone who digged any of these albums should also check the Hellfyre club comp from the end of last year, it's really great.

Also as for the YMCMB stuff, even looking at Nicki you see her albums have a bunch of garbage that's blatantly trying to get radio/pop play, she's not been unaffected. And idc about Drake, dude got his rear end kicked by Puffy of all people so he can get the gasface (even though he's jocking my vodka).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Just popping in to say that I normally listen to either jam band stuff like Widespread Panic or esoteric electronic music like Squarepusher, but in all honesty, Run the Jewels 2 is the best album that came out this year. That is all.

https://twitter.com/HighYellowThght/status/533498884119486465

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

When are we doing end of the year top 10s? 2014 was pretty poo poo and I think it'll actually make for some pretty diverse lists this year. I'm hoping to see some good stuff I missed out on.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Touche.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Robert Analog posted:

RTJ2 is gonna be AOTY for the "I don't like rap, but" crowd so I'm already acting like I never thought it was any good.

boom

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Wezlar posted:

When are we doing end of the year top 10s? 2014 was pretty poo poo and I think it'll actually make for some pretty diverse lists this year. I'm hoping to see some good stuff I missed out on.

wasnt there some dude keeping track of "YO THIS IS AOTY" claims this year? id love to see the end result of that.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Every year has a "I don't usually listen to rap but I like this" crossover album. Be thankful that its an excellent album this time around and not another "The Heist".

I can't be hosed making a list but this is still my favourite song of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5doWnV00I

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It's also the actual rap album of the year

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In no particular order my 15 favorite from this year are

RTJ2
Gibbs - Cocaine Piñata
DJ Quik - The Midnight Life
100s - IVRY
Spitta - The Drive In Theatre
Deniro - Rebirth
Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
Glizzy - Young Jefe
Migos - Rich Nigga Timeline
Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
Black Portland
KRIT - Cadillactica
Travi$ Scott - Days Before Rodeo
King L - Tony
And take your pick of Gucci's tapes

Flesh it out to 20 and I could probably find room for Mastermind, either of Future's releases, Banco and a couple others. Every year people say it was a bad year for hip-hop and every year they're wrong. Maybe it was a bad year for major studio releases, but who cares? It's a different game altogether now.

I haven't had a chance to listen to E-40 or PRhyme's albums yet so idk if there's a place for either on there. Also still have new Kevin Gates next week.

edit: honorable mention to Low Pros for producing 2 of my favorite tracks of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBbkhFdbArI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcc6VDZ_aI4

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 9, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Exquire is hinting at something dropping New Year's Day :worship:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Who bought that 2014 Forest Hills Drive? Everyone I know in rl loves J Cole. I know a lot of dumb people.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

40 lbs to freedom posted:

wasnt there some dude keeping track of "YO THIS IS AOTY" claims this year? id love to see the end result of that.

That was me, people stopped making that claim and I stopped keeping up with it. It would've been interesting to see how well stuff aged over the year in people's minds.

I'd put my top list in relative order:

Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
Bones - Garbage
100s - Ivry
Future - Monster
Ab-Soul - These Days

In a lower tier:
Gibbs - Pinata
RTJ2
Bones - Teenwitch/Skinny/Rotten
Underachievers - Cellar Door
Sir Michael Rocks - Banco
Da Mafia 6ix - Hear Sum Evil
Future - Honest
Rick Ross - Mastermind

I'm probably missing something. Everything on the top got tons of plays throughout the year, everything below was stuff I liked but don't listen to as much. RTJ I haven't really listened to since it came out, same with Cellar Door but they're both good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Top 5 for hip-hop:

RTJ2
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Busdriver - Perfect Hair
Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary
Sadistik - Ultraviolet

Good lord that is such a giant sign flashing *WHITE TWENTYSOMETHING*. Not a very good year. Number two would actually be Flying Lotus' album if it counts.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Top 5:

1. YG - My Krazy Life
2. Goldlink - The God Complex
3. Clipping - CLPPNG
4. Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
5. RTJ - RTJ2/ Logic - Under Pressure

Runner Ups:
Busdriver - Perfect Hair
Ratking - So It Goes
Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]
Lil Herb - Welcome To Fazoland
Kevin Gates - By Any Means
DJ Mustard - 10 Summers
Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary
Chester Watson - Tin Wooki
Black Milk - If There's A Hell Below
Shy Glizzy - Law 3: Now Or Never

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Everyone's in such a hurry. Year's not even done yet!

Prelim list, I'll likely flesh it out more later but top 5 would be like:

Open Mike Eagle-Dark Comedy
The Stand4rd-The Stand4rd
Hurt Everybody-Hurt Everybody
Lucki Eck$-Body High
RTJ-RTJ2

honorable mentions
Busdriver-Perfect Hair
Migos-Rich Nigga Timeline
Pyramid Vritra-Palace/Indra
Yung Lean-Unknown Memory
Ratking-So It Goes
Chester Watson-Tin Wooki
DJ Quik-The Midnight Life

I still gotta give a more thorough listen to a few things though (HMM, Shy Glizzy, and a bunch of random stuff). Year started slow but there's been a lot of good releases. I think a lot of the bigger name stuff was kinda disappointing early, which made people think everything sucked. Also last year had a ton of good stuff so it was always gonna be hard to follow that up. Also like Noz said, if you think 2014 sucked for rap you should hear the music from 2014 that isn't rap because it's much worse.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Hurt Everybody s/t is so good

I still have to go through my downloads folder but out of plays in my library my AOTY is probably Cocaine Piñata

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

1. Rich Gang: Tha Tour Pt 1 - Rich Gang
2. Mastermind - Rick Ross
3. Monster - Future
4. Days Before Rodeo - Travi$ Scott
5. IVRY - 100s
6. RTJ2 - Run The Jewels
7. Seen It All - Jeezy
8. Beauty of Independence EP - G-Unit
9. Signed to The Streets 2 - Lil Durk
10. No Label 2 - Migos

Honorable mentions:
The God Complex - GoldLink
Trap God 3
Trap House 4
Return of Mr Perfect
Oddfather
Gucci vs Guwop
Etc
Piñata

And I don't think that every year is a bad, the last two years everyone was saying how great they were and they truly were. 2014 had long stretches where it felt like nothing good was coming out. Weird year and a quiet year. Was there a single highly regarded album released by a big name artist?

Bhris Brown's X is really good too but I don't want to edit order. Probably would go where RTJ2 is

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 9, 2014

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
screw new hiphop :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PdWZOHvoCI
classic Pac right here.. this is cool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Lucki Eck$-Body High
RTJ-RTJ2

honorable mentions
Busdriver-Perfect Hair
Yung Lean-Unknown Memory
Ratking-So It Goes
Chester Watson-Tin Wooki

I still gotta give a more thorough listen to a few things though (HMM, Shy Glizzy, and a bunch of random stuff). Year started slow but there's been a lot of good releases. I think a lot of the bigger name stuff was kinda disappointing early, which made people think everything sucked. Also last year had a ton of good stuff so it was always gonna be hard to follow that up. Also like Noz said, if you think 2014 sucked for rap you should hear the music from 2014 that isn't rap because it's much worse.

This reminds me, I'm seeing Danny Brown on Friday with Lucki Eck$. What should I expect from the latter, having never listened to him.

Also there was a bunch of good music that wasn't rap in 2014. My favorite hip-hop album of the year is like number 6 overall.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

Lucki Eck$-Body High
RTJ-RTJ2

honorable mentions
Busdriver-Perfect Hair
Yung Lean-Unknown Memory
Ratking-So It Goes
Chester Watson-Tin Wooki

I'm not going to post a top 5 or compare it to any one else's cause no one is going to even remotely agree with it, but I'm with you 100% on the final sentiment. Even looking at the variety in everyones lists that were posted here it shows that 2014 had a whole lot of good music releases. There may not be any hip hop canon classics or anything like that from 2014 but the music was definitely solid for the year.

It just gets all drowned out by the honestly terrible other stuff (Iggy comes to the forefront of my mind of award winners).

On another note Prhyme is a really good album, and so is J Cole's.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 9, 2014

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Prhyme is out? Oh snap

e; Solid from start to finish Royce sounds way better on soul sample beats

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 9, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My top 5:

1. Clipping - CLPPNG
2. Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
3. Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste
4. Logic - Under Pressure
5. Future - Honest

Other favorites:

Freeway - Broken Ankles
Run the Jewels - RTJ2
Rich Gang - Tha Tour Pt. 1
ASAP Ferg - Ferg Forever
Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
Busdriver - Perfect Hair
Lil Herb - Welcome to Fazoland
Goldlink - The God Complex
Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
Ratking - So It Goes
Chester Watson - Tin Wooki
Yung Lean - Unknown Memory
100s - IVRY
Mick Jenkins - The Water(s)
Zelooperz - Help

I didn't think this was a bad year, but I feel like all the really good stuff got pushed to 2015. There was a lot of stuff I liked but only a few albums I loved.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm not sure I can put together a top 5 but a few releases this year that I really liked and have gotten heavy play by me:

The King of Everything Else - Slaine
Both AOTP albums
Codename: Ego Stripper - Ces Cru
Mursday - ¡Mayday! & Murs
The Monster & Mr. Arnell - V-Zilla & Lawrence Arnell
RTJ2

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yuzenn posted:

There may not be any hip hop canon classics or anything like that from 2014

I guess we'll find out over time but I dunno how Pinata doesn't slot right in to that category

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Drake got beaten up by Diddy hahahahaaha

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

No order, probably something like:

Lil Bibby - Free Crack 2
Lil Durk - Signed to the Streets 2
Lil Herb - Fazoland
Waka Flocka - I Can't Rap
Yung Lean - Unknown Memory
RHQ - I Promise I Will Never Stop Going In November 2013 but IDGAF

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

acksplode posted:

I guess we'll find out over time but I dunno how Pinata doesn't slot right in to that category

Because it was widely considered a disappointment?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

widely considered a disappointment???? I feel like I'm the only person I've talked to who wasn't into it. It got really good reviews even if no one was really talking about it being a classic.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i liked pinata a lot but if we're talking about "future classics" i think my krazy life has the best chance of being considered one for the west coast

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I remember this thread being really mixed about it when it came out and I haven't seen it on year-end lists nearly as much as other prominent releases from this year.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
it's my AOTY but like i said earlier i'd listen to dogs pooping if Freddie Gibbs rapped over it so i'm not the best judge

i've been listening to Ferg Forever for days now and if you take out the middle section (tracks 6-10) it's probably up there for me too

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Pinata was disappointing, the second half puts me to sleep. Itll still go on my list due to the stellar first half I expect.

RTJ2 will probably end up being my #1 which I didnt think would happen on first few listens. It really is great though.

Rich gang tha tour and Monster will be up there as well as the Vince Staples tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IVRY is the best complete project of the year because it doesn't contain a single wasted second. It's 26 lean minutes of wall-to-wall timeless perfection. You could make the same case for RTJ2 as well.