Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

not a registry editor from this distance your honor

(also you might be able to set this to 0 idk)

integer-valued mouse acceleration factor set to DBL_MIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

its a nightmare to figure out which config files are actually used and which were deprecated at some point. esp when they aren't actually created unless you need to change something. seems so stupid
and the documentation hasn't been updated along with the system, so you're told to edit a file that doesn't exist and never will because you live in the present

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

What would you prefer over a hierarchical key/value database for storing settings?

x resources are pretty good. hierarchical key/value database stored in flat files with wildcard support? hell yeah, no way that could ever go wrong

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Progressive JPEG posted:

the issue is that there's a need to drill into the internals to change anything in the first place

the internals are the only guaranteed way of configuration doing what it says.

the dwm developers were right

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

IPvSH6T posted:

the dwm developers were right

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah not really

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

fritz posted:

integer-valued mouse acceleration factor set to DBL_MIN

and the default value is outside the range

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That's a bug in dconf-editor misunderstanding the schema. It was fixed in July.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Mr Dog posted:

nah not really

dwm is simple enough to do anything, while gnome is complex enough to do nothing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Series DD Funding posted:

dwm is simple enough to do anything, while gnome is complex enough to do nothing

how do i connect to a wireless network

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
networkmanager. or wpa_supplicant if your autism is terminal

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
networkmanager is a system daemon, how do i interact with it if there's no shell integration, is there a standalone gui prog i could use?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
trayer and nm-applet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

networkmanager is a system daemon, how do i interact with it if there's no shell integration, is there a standalone gui prog i could use?

install the gnome apps for gui config stuff just don't install the full gnome DE

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

dbus-send

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

nm-connection-editor

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Series DD Funding posted:

networkmanager. or wpa_supplicant if your autism is terminal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

not any good ones. consider: any application that is gonna manage wireless connections has to configure and spawn a system daemon (the wpa supplicant). you're gonna have hella intricacy and privilege escalation however you slice it

your best bet is to find a client that talks to network manager, which is already plenty complicated and privilege-escalated. use nmcli or the kde/gnome gui applets. you can run them without a full gnome/kde shell

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr Dog posted:

how do i connect to a wireless network

why do you want your window manager to connect to a wireless network.

what do you think it is, emacsa network stack

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cool now there's a version of ubuntu that breaks away from apt-get and .deb files

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
GNOME provides a thing that lets me browse and connect to networks, a build-your-own-desktop thing with separate things like window managers doesn't, so I wanted to know what the equivalent of GNOME shell's nm integration was. standalone apps are fine if you're going that route, and actually it looks like nmcli has actually become useful since i last looked at it (you can actually scan for and connect to new wireless networks now, even though its output formatting is kinda gross)

Suspicious Dish you mentioned something about there being a lack of manpower working on Wayland at the moment, what's the story you were going to tell about that?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

cool now there's a version of ubuntu that breaks away from apt-get and .deb files

did they finally realize the correct way to install apps is to drag them into the applications folder?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
fedora 21 is finally out :confuoot:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

m'linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maximum Leader posted:

did they finally realize the correct way to install apps is to drag them into the applications folder?

what a snappy comeback

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Maximum Leader posted:

this is a clowns way to install applications and is for people too dumb to get their app into the App Store

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

installed the linux

tried to update my graphics driver on the linux

the linux would not start

help how do I get good at the linux?

hey I'm just quoting this from 9 months ago to ask how it went.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

hey I'm just quoting this from 9 months ago to ask how it went.

he's dead, killed by a linux

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

:rip:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

if people could die from linux graphic driver failing, we'd be much better off as a society

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahaha

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

lamo so i just spent the last couple hours trying random poo poo to get a custom xinput keymap applied for my weird mouse: reverse left/rightclick + switch up the thumb buttons a bit
but xinput settings are dropped on the floor whenever the machine is suspended, so you have to do some extra bullshit if you don't want your configs randomly changing on you:

- all the howtos from circa 2011 recommend putting it in a /etc/pm/sleep.d script that gets called on resume, but that doesn't work because xinput wants to be run from within the X11 session and not by some random script running as root. also it seems like the mouse device isn't even listed at this point where xinput is concerned
- then some newer poo poo says to use a gnome-settings-daemon 'hotplug script' (even the example script has bad indentation lol). the script runs successfully in the logs but the settings aren't actually sticking -- something is overriding it
- maybe it's xorg itself that's overriding it on resume?? try adding a config to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (not in /etc for reasons) for the mouse. but nope that's apparently not it either, mapping is still getting stomped
- then i find some people saying to turn off a mouse plugin in gnome-settings-daemon via a manual gconf command, which likewise doesn't seem to do anything but whatever
- THEN when browsing around in there i see a gnome-settings-daemon option to switch the mouse to left-handed directly, which is half of what i want. after switching that on, the left/rightclick are suddenly reversed, now the xinput keymap that's stomping on my custom keymap is suddenly a version that's left-handed

so in short something in gnome-settings-daemon is actively making GBS threads on any custom keymaps whenever the compute resumes from suspend, in such a way that even other customization methods within gnome-settings-daemon itself are themselves stomped on

that said this is bunters lts so who knows maybe it's something canonical did
noob

(use XAUTHORITY and DISPLAY variables to run x11 progs outside of an x11 session)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
sorry but your XAUTHORITY flag is gold fringed and I do not consent to berth

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
mods namechange to XFreeman On The Org

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yo why does font rendering on linux suck so much dick

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
also why do all the UIs feel like they were written in html

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
is.... linux poo poo????

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Kirk posted:

also why do all the UIs feel like they were written in html

that's because they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i like the dotted border that ~sometimes~ appears on highlighted elements as if its loving ie5

this has been happening since like kde 1 lol