Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hijinks Ensue posted:

That was a nice mid-range episode. Way better than the last Esposito-centric one.

What was the last Esposito one anyways, the one with the kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
So are we never going to find out what happened to Castle?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's only been a few episodes. Sorry they aren't giving you answers right away.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I predict he'll get a big recovery from amnesia around the time of February sweeps.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

It's only been a few episodes. Sorry they aren't giving you answers right away.

Well they wrapped up Beckett's mom's murderer ("Senator, you're under arrest for killing my mommy!"), so they need something to tease out between PK6 episodes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Really good episode tonight, and finally taking Castle in a direction they should have several years ago. I hope they keep Castle, PI around for a while

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, I thought this was a pretty good episode too and I didn't see that ending coming at all. I have no idea where they're going with this, but I guess maybe they'll just start the next episode with "Never mind, we found the murderer and it was a totally unrelated guy. Come on back Castle."

I didn't see a preview. Is there an episode next week?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
No new episode til January, and apparently Castle will be a PI .

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
The mafia didn't keep its promise to stay inside the law. :(

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hijinks Ensue posted:

No new episode til January, and apparently Castle will be a PI .

Nice! That's a great way forward.

Maybe he'll even grow a moustache.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

The mafia didn't keep its promise to stay inside the law. :(

It was probably the other family for the attempted murder.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I really liked the fact that Gates sees the value in Castle and likes him (even if she pretends not to at times). She wasn't gleeful about pushing him out, like she would have been in S4. She genuinely was dismayed at what she had to do.

I'm very curious to see how all this plays out, especially if it's the show's last season. We've got Castle PI, the whole disappearance arc to revisit/wrap up, and I've heard that 3XK's creepy girlfriend is due to return.

Poor Castle, going from hanging out with his boyhood action movie idols to getting canned at the precinct. So much for a merry Christmas.

Also, can we replace the boring NYPD tech gal with the mob tech gal? She was fun.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Better idea- ditch the tech person. The show was better when they didn't go "*BEEP* *BOOP* Enhance! Here's a convenient piece of technology that I can do some wizardry on and show the culprit". It seems like lazier writing to me, not to mention the fact that the show used to make fun of that kind of stuff.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm very curious to see how all this plays out, especially if it's the show's last season. We've got Castle PI, the whole disappearance arc to revisit/wrap up, and I've heard that 3XK's creepy girlfriend is due to return.

I'd also bet that we're going to revisit the Esposito and Lanie stuff, which is the show's second Will They Won't They (see also: Dwight/Angela in The Office).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Lanie/Espo always felt like something the show threw in just to have some characters who were actually bonking, as Castle and Beckett were still in the throes of unresolved sexual tension.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Andorra posted:

Better idea- ditch the tech person. The show was better when they didn't go "*BEEP* *BOOP* Enhance! Here's a convenient piece of technology that I can do some wizardry on and show the culprit". It seems like lazier writing to me, not to mention the fact that the show used to make fun of that kind of stuff.

And if they need anything they can go to Cyber Rita in her fabulous living room HQ.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Lanie/Espo always felt like something the show threw in just to have some characters who were actually bonking, as Castle and Beckett were still in the throes of unresolved sexual tension.

And then they somehow stupidly completely dropped it when Castle and Beckett actually got together. What. the. gently caress. and then, they got back together OFF CAMERA in between seasons. WHAT THE gently caress.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Wait so the mob families are UNITED now and that's supposed to be a good thing!?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Haven't read it yet, but apparently 3XK isn't done yet...

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Looking forward to that! 3XK episodes are always good creepy fun.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Castle recording and listening to his own internal monologue is the most beautiful thing this show has ever done.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Mymla posted:

Castle recording and listening to his own internal monologue is the most beautiful thing this show has ever done.

He is my kind of eccentric. I love the occasional bits of cheeky narcissism.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I could not stop grinning the entire episode, Castle P.I is awesome so far.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That was absolutely awesome. It reminded me of that episode back in S2 when it was C&B vs. R&E to see who could solve a case first, and that's always been one of my favorite episodes.

Calling it now: 3XK and creepy girlfriend are back in the two-parter. Castle helps solve the case and arrest them, and Beckett and Gates use this to get him back into the precinct..

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Hijinks Ensue posted:

That was absolutely awesome. It reminded me of that episode back in S2 when it was C&B vs. R&E to see who could solve a case first, and that's always been one of my favorite episodes.

Calling it now: 3XK and creepy girlfriend are back in the two-parter. Castle helps solve the case and arrest them, and Beckett and Gates use this to get him back into the precinct..

I hope they keep the P.I aspect as it could open up more story lines for hijinks. They could get the department to officially hire Castle on retainer.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
And it would keep him open for a wider variety of cases. I like it!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I loved Permutter in this episode. He's always such a dick to everyone for no reason. Him chasing Castle around the morgue was gold.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely one of the better Castle episodes in a good long while. Hope he stays a PI forever. The scene were he gets maced was brilliant.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I will say it was one of the more fun episodes in a long time. I really enjoyed it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's like season 1 again. Caskett works better when they're at least partly antagonistic.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I loved Permutter in this episode. He's always such a dick to everyone for no reason. Him chasing Castle around the morgue was gold.

You just know there will be an episode where he is charged with murder and hires Castle to clear him.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

CeeJee posted:

You just know there will be an episode where he is charged with murder and hires Castle to clear him.

No, it should be Espo in this situation. He's been vaguely crabby to Castle for some time now, and I've no idea why (beyond writers' fatigue and Espo not being a very well-defined character to begin with).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He hasn't forgiven Castle for not inviting him to the wedding.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hijinks Ensue posted:

No, it should be Espo in this situation. He's been vaguely crabby to Castle for some time now, and I've no idea why (beyond writers' fatigue and Espo not being a very well-defined character to begin with).

He was really suspicious of Castle about his disappearance. I think there's some scenes on the cutting room floor that never made it in regarding his distrust. Or more likely, the writers haven't been too clear on his motivations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
As far as I'm concerned, this is a great way to reboot the series. I don't really want Castle to go back to the NYPD any time soon; the potential for fun and hijinks is too great and it feels like the show is young again.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

The little bit with the pencil killed me

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Tooter posted:

The little bit with the pencil killed me

"perfect timing"

The PI angle is really working for me this was another good episode.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wonder exactly how illegal it is for castle to impersonate Ryan like that.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Mymla posted:

I wonder exactly how illegal it is for castle to impersonate Ryan like that.

Castle would probably get a slap on the wrist, but I imagine anyone else would be in deep poo poo if they got caught doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hah! The bit where Castle is sharpening pencils while he's on the phone with Beckett is a hat-tip to the X-Files, which had Mulder doing that while on the phone with Scully for an entire episode while he pretends to be busy doing exciting things because he can't work the case with her. The last shot of the episode is her looking up at the ceiling and seeing all the pencils stuck in it.

• Locked thread