Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Besides the low cap-off time, it sounds very much like there's an air exchange issue in the feed of your Cross pen. This would definitely explain the sudden stop in ink flow after writing smoothly. It might be a good idea to pull the ink cartridge and give the feed and nib and good cleaning and see if that helps.

You can stick a little ball of sticky tack in the collar of your ink cartridge to prevent it from drying while you're cleaning your pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Zorblack posted:

I also greatly prefer the weight of the all metal Metro or Stratford. He clued me in on a fancy pen shop located nearby, and my penlust threatens to run rampant and strong.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the safari too light compared to the metro. Feels rather insubstantial in the hand.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Alder posted:

Italic nibs are nice but there's no need to pay much for it as many FP companies offer calligraphy sets too. Some examples would be Sheaffer No-nonense, Pilot Parallel, and Manuscript FPs. I suggest sets unless you have a nib preference and line variation is more noticeable in greater widths.

You can even install a italic nib if you switch the nib from a Pilot 78G to the Metro.

Doesn't the Plumix nib fit the Metro as well?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

NeurosisHead posted:

Doesn't the Plumix nib fit the Metro as well?

Yep.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
I recently bought a Jinhao x750, because although I've had troubles with Jinhaos in the past the possibility of swapping out the nib and having a nice writing, but dirt cheap pen was enticing. However, after swapping the medium Jinhao nib for a Noodler's fine no. 6, the pen only writes after forcing ink out with the converter, a laborious and messy process. Yet from how it writes when it wants to write, I'm still tempted to throw good money after bad.

Does anyone know if feeds are somewhat standardized as nibs are, so that a no. 6 feed can be swapped the same way that a no. 6 nib can be? Could I even put a whole Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy feed--nib assembly into the more substantial steel body of a Jinhao?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ok, so I mentioned earlier that I wanted to practice handwriting and fountain pen use.

That's going OK, but these cheap rear end disposable Pilot Varsity pens seriously bleed through anything thinner than watercolor paper.

Any suggestions on a cheapish pen, with a good tip for frequent use (not calligraphy) that preferably comes with ink that could reasonably be used on notepaper?

I use pretty nice Cambridge notebooks, so we're not talking translucent 99c notepads.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Annath posted:

Ok, so I mentioned earlier that I wanted to practice handwriting and fountain pen use.

That's going OK, but these cheap rear end disposable Pilot Varsity pens seriously bleed through anything thinner than watercolor paper.

Any suggestions on a cheapish pen, with a good tip for frequent use (not calligraphy) that preferably comes with ink that could reasonably be used on notepaper?

I use pretty nice Cambridge notebooks, so we're not talking translucent 99c notepads.

Pilot Metropolitan.

Seriously, it's in the thread title for a reason.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

Agreeing with the poster above on getting a pilot metropolitan. Alternatively, a Lamy Safari if you love plastic pens.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
If you're really worried about bleedthrough, the safari tends to write drier than the metro for the same nib sizes

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Annath posted:

Solumin posted:

Pilot Metropolitan.

Seriously, it's in the thread title for a reason.

Agreed. But first give one of those translucent 99c notepads. Well, maybe not literally, but the point is that the price of the paper is not always an indicator of how nice it will be for your pens. I've had luck with store-brand legal pads and paper I've stolen out of my printer when nicer paper feathered right out. You just don't know until you try.

Actually, try the cheap paper AND get a Metro. It's a nice pen. :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

khamul posted:

I recently bought a Jinhao x750, because although I've had troubles with Jinhaos in the past the possibility of swapping out the nib and having a nice writing, but dirt cheap pen was enticing. However, after swapping the medium Jinhao nib for a Noodler's fine no. 6, the pen only writes after forcing ink out with the converter, a laborious and messy process. Yet from how it writes when it wants to write, I'm still tempted to throw good money after bad.

Does anyone know if feeds are somewhat standardized as nibs are, so that a no. 6 feed can be swapped the same way that a no. 6 nib can be? Could I even put a whole Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy feed--nib assembly into the more substantial steel body of a Jinhao?

A) Did you clean the pen and feed first?

B) Did you try the original nib? I've personally found Jinhao nibs quite usable, and putting in a Noodler's non-flex isn't what I'd call an "upgrade".

C) If neither of those pan out it's likely the nib isn't laying flat on the feed.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

grack posted:

A) Did you clean the pen and feed first?

B) Did you try the original nib? I've personally found Jinhao nibs quite usable, and putting in a Noodler's non-flex isn't what I'd call an "upgrade".

C) If neither of those pan out it's likely the nib isn't laying flat on the feed.

I cleaned the whole thing several times, and the Noodler's F nib was a drastic improvement over the Jinhao M nib. The problem is that neither writes well. I only used water to clean the pen though, but I think I'll go back and try a drop of dish soap and clean out the feed, and use pliers to fit the "shank" of the nib more closely onto the feed. I don't think the feed is made out of the same material as Noodler's pens so it would probably not be profitable to try to heat set the plastic. I guess I'll tinker with the nib and use some diluted soap to make sure the feed is clean.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

khamul posted:

I cleaned the whole thing several times, and the Noodler's F nib was a drastic improvement over the Jinhao M nib. The problem is that neither writes well. I only used water to clean the pen though, but I think I'll go back and try a drop of dish soap and clean out the feed, and use pliers to fit the "shank" of the nib more closely onto the feed. I don't think the feed is made out of the same material as Noodler's pens so it would probably not be profitable to try to heat set the plastic. I guess I'll tinker with the nib and use some diluted soap to make sure the feed is clean.

Well, good luck. The feed is plastic and not ebonite so definitely don't try to heat set it. If you're going at the nib with pliers you should have a loupe or strong magnifying glass around to make sure you don't mess up the tine alignment.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just bought my first pens: TWSBU 580AL in orange and a Pilot Metropolitan in black, both fine nibs. Didn't buy any actual bottles of ink, but I signed up for Goulet's Ink Drop and bought a sampler pack of black inks, and between the two I'll have like 25 samples to go through before I have to commit to anything.

Looking forward to practicing my handwriting a lot over winter break.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Ok. About to go into a shop and choose (and probably buy) an FP for $150-200. Can you guys give me tips on makes to look for and to avoid re build quality/reliability? I don't want to choose a pen I like only for it to die on me. I'll be using it for drawing as well as writing. Obviously I will try a number of pens and will get something that feels good and that I like the look of (and something for the right price) but obviously reliability isn't something you can judge in shop.

BTW, is there a paper thread or do we do that here?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm a trainer for an insurance company, and two of my new agents showed up today with brand new Metropolitans and questions about inks. :getin:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Ok. About to go into a shop and choose (and probably buy) an FP for $150-200. Can you guys give me tips on makes to look for and to avoid re build quality/reliability? I don't want to choose a pen I like only for it to die on me. I'll be using it for drawing as well as writing. Obviously I will try a number of pens and will get something that feels good and that I like the look of (and something for the right price) but obviously reliability isn't something you can judge in shop.

I really don't think at that price point in a retail store you're going to find anything of truly questionable build quality or reliability. Keep in mind you'll probably be paying a slight premium for being in a brick & mortar store, but the advantage is that you get to try out a bunch of pens.

As far as paper, that ends up here, too, typically. Are you looking for recommendations for a notebook, loose leaf, notepad...?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Magnus Praeda posted:

I really don't think at that price point in a retail store you're going to find anything of truly questionable build quality or reliability. Keep in mind you'll probably be paying a slight premium for being in a brick & mortar store, but the advantage is that you get to try out a bunch of pens.

As far as paper, that ends up here, too, typically. Are you looking for recommendations for a notebook, loose leaf, notepad...?

Yes, I figured it would cost me a little extra but I like supporting actual shops. Also as I have no real idea of what I am after, I'll need to actually handle items. Glad that I'll be above "possibly cruddy" quality price point. Will report how it works out.

Hoooo... Paper, well, I'm an artist so I know a fair bit about paper for drawing. I usually use cotton or wood-cotton blend, Ingres paper by Hahnemuhle, Fabriano, Canson and other European makes. For writing I have used Gallo and Three Candlesticks. I'm primarily interested in tips about letter writing pads and envelopes, high end, pref. with some cotton content but not necessarily - watermarks particularly welcome. I had quite a nice pad of letter paper with a watermark made by...Woolworths. Yeah, that puzzled me too. Anyway, Woolworths went out of business in the UK so I doubt I'll ever see another pad like that.

So any letter-writing paper tips welcome!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's here! It's here! :woop:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm primarily interested in tips about letter writing pads and envelopes, high end, pref. with some cotton content but not necessarily - watermarks particularly welcome. I had quite a nice pad of letter paper with a watermark made by...Woolworths. Yeah, that puzzled me too. Anyway, Woolworths went out of business in the UK so I doubt I'll ever see another pad like that.

So any letter-writing paper tips welcome!

Clairfontaine and Rhodia have nice writing pads for sale. There's literally no limit to how much you can spend on HQ paper. Three Candles is fine for letters and I just use normal envelopes. For tips it's important to be sure you're writing the recipient's correct address on the front.

Also, umm try not to forget about your pen pals and write frequently if possible.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

404notfound posted:

I ordered mine 12/5 from JetPens and it's listed as "packaging" in my order status.

e: VVVV yeah, knowing that you ordered on the 4th makes me feel a bit better. I ordered right before I posted here about there being 14 bottles left in stock at JP. They probably just didn't get to processing the order until today.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I ordered on the 4th, but I also live about ten minutes away from JetPens. The last time I emailed about picking up an order in person, they were in Milpitas, but maybe I should check again now that they've moved to San Jose...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
When I ordered mine I think it estimated the arrival as the 15th which was fine by me because I'm out of town and would hate for it to sit in the mailbox until I got home.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I ordered a bottle after seeing the post in here and it arrived a day later, but I'm in Oakland so they just had to drive it across the bridge.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you are crossing the 100-dollar mark for the first time I think one of the best pens you can get is a Lamy 2000. Enormous capacity, classic design, very no-nonsense daily writer sort of pen.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

404notfound posted:

I ordered on the 4th, but I also live about ten minutes away from JetPens. The last time I emailed about picking up an order in person, they were in Milpitas, but maybe I should check again now that they've moved to San Jose...

I have asked this before, but their warehouse is somewhere other than here so you can't do local pickups for JetPens. The situation may have changed from mid-2013, but it depends on where they actually ship stuff out of - their office is just that around here and doesn't carry any local stock.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I haven't been to this thread in a while but my pen usage has shrunk down a lot, to one in fact. It's (big surprise) the pilot metro, with the original M nib. It's my favorite by far because it's the least fiddly, best working and best looking.

e: those new noodlers konrads look nice, but they're too expensive for a noodler's IMO, or for a pen in general. So metro keeps on winning and being used.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 9, 2014

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

Annath posted:

I recommend the Platinum Preppy. They have a fine nib and write wet, but not too wet for composition notebooks as I recall. I still use one on a semi-daily basis along with my more expensive pens. They're easy to refill with bottled ink if you can't find the cartridges.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

404notfound posted:

My bottle arrived over lunch today. Too bad all my pens are all full at the moment. A problem that will be solved by my solution to all my gripes with the resin Falcon (too light, tiny converter capacity): Metal Falcon :homebrew:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of Stormy Grey, it's back in stock over at Goulet Pens.

http://www.gouletpens.com/h150-09/p/H150-09

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

khamul posted:

I recommend the Platinum Preppy. They have a fine nib and write wet, but not too wet for composition notebooks as I recall. I still use one on a semi-daily basis along with my more expensive pens. They're easy to refill with bottled ink if you can't find the cartridges.

I have 2 and the plastic is way too fragile for any long term writing. Although still it's a good value, if you're not 100% certain of the FP hobby.

Remember you're here forever.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just got the email too. Hooray for someone other than me who hasn't ordered it already from somewhere else.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ordered along with a Lamy italic nib to use it with fuuuck yeah

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alder posted:

I have 2 and the plastic is way too fragile for any long term writing. Although still it's a good value, if you're not 100% certain of the FP hobby.

Remember you're here forever.

Wrap the top of the barrel and the bottom of the cap with a short strip of clear packing tape.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

My much beloved TWSBI mini has gone missing and I'm looking to try something new as a replacement. Is the Kaweco Sport comparable, or is there something else that is around the same size for less than $150? I am a lady with small hands, and the grip on the Sport looks like it might be too wide at first glance.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

NeurosisHead posted:

I just got the email too. Hooray for someone other than me who hasn't ordered it already from somewhere else.

Oh, I signed up for the e-mail just because. I don't have anyone currently in the states who'd be willing to bring it over and having it shipped all the way here is a blanket list of bad ideas (customs, taxes, literal import restrictions that may or may not apply to ink).

I'll get it eventually. Yes I will.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aergo posted:

My much beloved TWSBI mini has gone missing and I'm looking to try something new as a replacement. Is the Kaweco Sport comparable, or is there something else that is around the same size for less than $150? I am a lady with small hands, and the grip on the Sport looks like it might be too wide at first glance.

The Pilot E95s feels quite nice in my lady hands. It's around $130 in most of the US retailers I've seen but I got a Japan import for under $100 on Amazon. It's a really sharp looking pen as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aergo posted:

The Kaweco Sport isn't that wide and there are a whole range of different nib/color/material options in the line. If you want something compact you could also look at the Ohto Tasche or Kaweco Lilliput.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just got an e-mail from Massdrop saying the 2-pack of Pilot Metropolitans for 24 bucks is back on sale, if you missed out on that last time or just want more Metros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quick question! Grey ink: which one? Should I just go for Stormy Grey? If not, Kiri-same or Fuyo-syogun?