Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mikasa is very good and I will never tire of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I hope hange dying means sasha makes it out of this alive

She got shot in the shoulder, she'll be fine. The only way I could be less worried about her is if she fell off a cliff into a river and they didn't find a body.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think most people are more concerned about the whole crashing into a pillar going at 300km/h and then falling a couple dozen feet or so, rather than getting hooked in the shoulder.

e: I agree with you that she's probably fine, though. For a certain definition of the term, for sure, but alive at least.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 8, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I imagine she'll recover, but her swinging and fighting days are behind her for sure.

Edit:

Who is the guy on the far right of the top row? Looks like Boomhauer to me.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mike. The dude with the good nose who could smell titans. Was the first one to meet Curious George and was subsequently murdered.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Terper posted:

Mike. The dude with the good nose who could smell titans. Was the first one to meet Curious George and was subsequently murdered.

It's Moblit. Mike has a mustache.

e: Had, I mean. RIP.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

I think most people are more concerned about the whole crashing into a pillar going at 300km/h and then falling a couple dozen feet or so, rather than getting hooked in the shoulder.

e: I agree with you that she's probably fine, though. For a certain definition of the term, for sure, but alive at least.

I'm not talking about the severity of the injury itself. Getting shot in the shoulder in fiction is pretty much a guarantee that you'll pull through, whatever else happens. I'd have been more worried if she dodged the hook and then fell.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

El-Bonko posted:

She got shot in the shoulder, she'll be fine. The only way I could be less worried about her is if she fell off a cliff into a river and they didn't find a body.

She got shot in the shoulder and then slammed spine-first into a pillar at high speed, I think.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 8, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

El-Bonko posted:

The only way I could be less worried about her is if she fell off a cliff into a river and they didn't find a body.

I'm now actually expecting someone to die this way and the series ends without any closure for it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

She got shot in the shoulder and then slammed spine-first into a pillar at high speed, I think.

there were a lot of character reactions too; this is serious

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The official translation is out at http://www.crunchyroll.ca/comics_read/manga?volume_id=273&chapter_num=64.00 , but it's nearly identical. I still wish Kenny had a better name. Kenneth, Kenzo... Kyle.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

my dad posted:

"To you, 2000 years from now..."

I am thinking we are looking at a matrix style event here. And instead of thinking this event happened 100 years ago, it happened much longer than than. perhaps 2000 years... My guess is ever 100 years the mind erase power is passed down through that family. Then every 100 years they erase all memory of history except the past 100 years so that nobody else passes down memories by word of mouth. So the only person that remembers anything more than 100 years ago is the current holder of the power. I am betting "to you, 2000 years from now" might be a second family line that has somehow kept record of history. Even writing it down would work. And that is whats in the basement. The history of the world.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

If it's true that the Reiss's family power is something that can only be used by the chosen generational heir,then that leaves the question of what exactly is the Titan scream power that Eren WAS able to use, and why were R&B so freaked out that he specifically had it, to the point of thinking it was the worst thing that could have possibly happened, possibly for the entire world?

Historia's name means "History" and "Story", which is pretty synonymous to the Reiss's family power. Eren's last name means "Hunter", so maybe there's something in that. He certainly seemed to have the power to make titans hunt whatever titan target he specified.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Historia more specifically refers to the study of history as a field.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm gonna bet that Bedtime For Bonzo is the First Titan.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Since Reiss himself does not have any special power, it remains safe at this point to conclude that everything he has said is either a deliberate lie for an as-yet unknown end, or simply repetition of straight-up bullshit that he has no reason to disbelieve.

Honestly you guys. Trusting the overt narrative? In this series? :colbert:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm gonna bet that Bedtime For Bonzo is the First Titan.

But why would Dr. Zaius be attacking the walls if he built them?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rime posted:

Since Reiss himself does not have any special power, it remains safe at this point to conclude that everything he has said is either a deliberate lie for an as-yet unknown end, or simply repetition of straight-up bullshit that he has no reason to disbelieve.

Honestly you guys. Trusting the overt narrative? In this series? :colbert:

As the official page is out, I'm gonna not bother with spoiler tags.

As said last page, if the power was Reiss-only then Grisha wouldn't have stolen it and told Eren the key to salvation is in the basement. After all he knew where their hideout was and presumably their role in the walled world. He probably knew about that rule as well. The Titan-shifters wouldn't be frantically trying to steal it either. Reiss is lying, misinformed, or there is a way around it. My guess is it's a lie to keep people like Kenny from trying to steal it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 9, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

badjohny posted:

I am thinking we are looking at a matrix style event here. And instead of thinking this event happened 100 years ago, it happened much longer than than. perhaps 2000 years... My guess is ever 100 years the mind erase power is passed down through that family. Then every 100 years they erase all memory of history except the past 100 years so that nobody else passes down memories by word of mouth. So the only person that remembers anything more than 100 years ago is the current holder of the power. I am betting "to you, 2000 years from now" might be a second family line that has somehow kept record of history. Even writing it down would work. And that is whats in the basement. The history of the world.

The "To you, 2000 years from now..." could be not something that Eren or any of the present characters will say or write in time, but some kind of messsage-memory from the original Titan power-holder to the new successor/owner of the memories, and 2000 years the time it has passed truly, not 100 years. In other words, it was a tease about the moment where finally someone (Eren?) access to the memories and finds out all the backstory.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 9, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

But why would Dr. Zaius be attacking the walls if he built them?

Maybe someone used the forget mind control ability on King Kong?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wouldn't Mighty Joe Young be dead if he was King Titan?

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
What if Eren is part of the Reiss family and they were mind wiped of that fact? I thought they couldn't be, but Historia clearly was before, so if that's the case, then maybe she actually isn't a Reiss? My guess is either Freida is Eren's mom somehow, or Eren's mom that got ate was a Reiss, perhaps Freida made everyone forget so she could be with Grisha. She told him all about this junk, and he has that proof down in the basement, possibly with a written account of the past obtained from Freida or other means.

The whole thing about the royal family member with the power and knowledge not telling anyone seems unlikely given that they also can mind wipe people. They could tell someone, gauge their reaction, and then make them forget when they freak out about whatever the reality of the situation is.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Brightman posted:

What if Eren is part of the Reiss family and they were mind wiped of that fact? I thought they couldn't be, but Historia clearly was before, so if that's the case, then maybe she actually isn't a Reiss? My guess is either Freida is Eren's mom somehow, or Eren's mom that got ate was a Reiss, perhaps Freida made everyone forget so she could be with Grisha. She told him all about this junk, and he has that proof down in the basement, possibly with a written account of the past obtained from Freida or other means.

If that's the case then why did Grisha eat Freida, and why did she fight with him when he tried to eat her?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Eren and Historia do have similar eyes.

Where did that book that Freida left in the field wind up anyway?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Grisha spermjacked one of the royal family's used condoms.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Saagonsa posted:

If that's the case then why did Grisha eat Freida, and why did she fight with him when he tried to eat her?

Grisha disagreed with what they were doing and wanted to end all of this, and she fought him because gently caress getting eaten?

That makes it seem more likely that Eren's mom was her sister, maybe even unknown, or perhaps like a 3rd cousin or some poo poo.

Okay, I'll boil my thing down to two points that I think should be examined:

-Reisses can be mind-wiped, or at least Historia can be
-Eren looks like a Reiss and might be related somehow

If the second is true, then Grisha stealing the power and feeding himself to Eren who could use it, as has been discussed in the thread, makes sense. If the first part of the first one is true, then a lot of bets about the Reiss family and what they know are off the table. If the second part is the only part that's true, then Historia might not be a Reiss, and this current plan would be futile.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Bilirubin posted:

Maybe someone used the forget mind control ability on King Kong?

I'm guessing King Titan was from the same faction as Monkey Trouble, humanity was being wiped out, King felt bad about this, went against their own people, and made the walls to keep some humans alive. Perhaps Monkey Trouble was leaving them alone because some sort of stalemate was achieved, but with the status quo being screwed up (wall breach, King Titan power out of commission), he came in to do some recon.

Also, yeah, Reiss is full of it, but it looks like he can't use the power either, otherwise why doesn't he just eat Eren? Why manipulate Historia into it?

Flying Squirrel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 9, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Brightman posted:

What if Eren is part of the Reiss family and they were mind wiped of that fact?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iyrQbS6B4Uw/TpEqmG3_TcI/AAAAAAAAA0k/K3QKVzLEOz0/019.png?imgmax=3000 It's safe to say at this point that was Frieda. She knew the Yeager family for whatever reason and wiped Eren's mind of meeting her.

quote:

why doesn't he just eat Eren? Why manipulate Historia into it?

The titan's power probably burns you out. Constantly regenerating or assuming titan form has got to cut into your natural lifespan. Rod's younger brother had completely white hair and looked old. Why would Rod eat Eren and only live another 10 or so years when Historia could do it and live 30 or 40? Doesn't really make sense as to why Grisha did it though. Eren's mother is probably royalty.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 9, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iyrQbS6B4Uw/TpEqmG3_TcI/AAAAAAAAA0k/K3QKVzLEOz0/019.png?imgmax=3000 It's safe to say at this point that was Frieda. She knew the Yeager family for whatever reason and wiped Eren's mind of meeting her.

I'm not completely sold on that, but if true, erasing memories and having someone/some people who could be a back up Ultimate Titan-Powerer would be really good insurance against having someone wipe out all of your known family, thus screwing humanity out of the power forever. Plus, whoever ate the known Reiss family shifter would probably be able to read the memories and realize they hosed up real good, but they'd be able to feed themselves to whomever was the backup plan.

There's still a really huge mystery in how right after the supposed memory wipe, Eren seemed to have suppressed memories of *future* events, like the fact that 10-year-old Mikasa's hair was longer than he remembered. (And in the anime, seeing visions, one of which was the flowers he was standing on covered in blood, which would happen later that afternoon.)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
eren's a looper and his dream is his recollection of his prior incarnation

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can buy mass creation out of nothing, and memory manipulation, but time travelling is just too weird.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, I'm much more comfortable about Zackly's scat fetish now I know it's an officially-condoned pastime for the brave intelligence officers of the good ol' US of A. :patriot:

Also, no way Sasha's biting it in the next few chapters. Isayama still has to set up her romance with Connie, then kill them both off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, no way Sasha's biting it in the next few chapters. Isayama still has to set up her romance with Connie, then kill them both off.

So he really is the Krillin of this series

MoosinRound
Sep 5, 2011
When Grisha transformed he would have been a mindless titan? And he bested and ate the ultimate titan who seemed capable of using her abilities? Or was Grisha a shifter himself?.... so many questions!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
He was a shifter. He triggered his transformation by inflicting self-harm, rather than using an injection. He also exhibited signs of intelligence as a titan like a shifter would (he killed the Reiss family to kill them, he didn't eat them like a mindless titan would).

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Grisha was definitely a shifter judging by appearance alone.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

What does giant mindless creatures who eat humans have to do with a secret history for over 2000 years? The story's starting to veer off the established track.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sub Harrison posted:

What does giant mindless creatures who eat humans have to do with a secret history for over 2000 years? The story's starting to veer off the established track.

No idea, but if the priests are willing to sacrifice their lives to keep the secret, and every person who has inherited the memories from the Reiss family has decided to wipe people's memories instead of revealing the secret, it has to be a pretty big deal.

I think that the survey corps will learn the secret and end up facing a very tough decision themselves as to whether or not they should reveal everything to the rest of humanity.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, I'm much more comfortable about Zackly's scat fetish now I know it's an officially-condoned pastime for the brave intelligence officers of the good ol' US of A. :patriot:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who immediately thought of this manga when learning of the details of the CIA torture program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

It's interesting how most of the theories here seem to assume Grisha really is Eren's biological father. How do we know Eren's mum didn't sleep with someone in the Reiss family and get pregnant? Grisha could hve even encouraged this in order to have access to someone with royal family DNA who he had some degree of control over.

Frieda could have somehow known about the affair (she did know about Historia, after all) and that's why Eren saw her at the very beginning of the series.