Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Its a water cat. just use your tongs on him & take a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

KARMA! posted:

Its a water cat. just use your tongs on him & take a pic.

good thinking, next time he shows i'll do it

this is the deal with it. All the pits from last night are gone, there's no trace that it was ever even in the tank, except that the strata of different sand layers is distorted. So it seems like this thing is just roaming the sandbed and when it feels like it, it starts to suck down the sand like an antlion or something.

Leperflesh posted:

Alternative investigative procedure: try dropping something into the sarlacc pit. Like a piece of tuna fish or a glob of ice cream or a genuine sliver of the True Cross.

also solid idea i'll try this next time as well

snails & crab. You can also see one of the baby spag worms from when that one big one blew a load all over the tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That crab is cool as heck, I hope he survives.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The longer I look into the abyss, the scarier what's in there becomes. :allears: Love the crab.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

that crab is probably about as sane as a vietnam vet with the poo poo he's seen

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Put your hand in the tank :twisted:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

SniperWoreConverse posted:

good thinking, next time he shows i'll do it

this is the deal with it. All the pits from last night are gone, there's no trace that it was ever even in the tank, except that the strata of different sand layers is distorted. So it seems like this thing is just roaming the sandbed and when it feels like it, it starts to suck down the sand like an antlion or something.

Antlions do not suck down sand. They trace a pit, and then by jerking their head to one side "throw" grains out and the result is a pit with their body naturally located in the center. Also according to legend they throw sand at prey walking by the edge of their pit, but I have never seen this and think it is a colorful exaggeration.

You should know that like an antlion, this giant worm may be the larva of something even more terrible.

Stay safe, SniperWoreConverse!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You should know that like an antlion, this giant worm may be the larva of something even more terrible.

Except antlions grow up to be delicate lacewings? :confused:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
obviously this is the caterpillar of a beautiful sea butterfly

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
As it has been almost a week we all assume you were killed trying to care for your tank.

:rip:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm just imagining the slow-motion horrorshow of a snail falling into one of those little antlion-looking pits.

Ohhhhhh nooooooooo *moves .25mm down pit*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is the deal with the tank-- nothing weird happens. Ever. It's boring as gently caress so I don't update

except when poo poo goes down. ther's no ryme or reason to it, as far as I can tell. Right now a set of pits is forming. I suspect they're connected under the surface. there's no major upheavals and the sand creatures nearby don't seem disturbed in the least.

also to the left of this there's what looks like persistant ant colony style tunnels. looks like a legworm in there moving poo poo around but I don't know if it built the tunnels or is just hanging out there. looks like the walls of the tunnel are almost cemented shut with fine grains, not really something the other legworms do as far as I can see

in the space of time where I was typing this out the right side pits are getting pretty deep. this time they're not right up on the glass, so I doubt i'll be able to get a pic of --!!

The crab just came storming out and stomped all over the pits, now he's standing there waiting, try to get pics

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Finally! A reason to stay sober on a Tuesday night.

Waiting for that crab...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah he's blueballing, after a minute he went back under the rocks. Looks like there's not going to be a battle of the titans yet.

While he was standing over the pits they stopped getting deeper, and now they've resumed

crab came back out and now he's climbing thru alga branches upside down like some kind of tarzan son of a bitch. Couldn't get a legible pic out of it. Usually he's nowhere near this active, it's kind of interesting. One of the pom pom crabs also came out but is wedged into the undergrowth, so same deal. That's really weird because they never loving ever come out.

The pits stopped sucking and the sand is returning to normal. Same as before, hardly any trace anything happened.

Anyway I had these really long, high quality grillin tongs I was going to use to grab the "watercat" but I loving forgot them. I'll see if I can improvise, and if the pits start up again i'll try to tong it

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat
Have you sold the rights yet? This could be a netflix original

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You need to set up some kind of web cam. Darwin Saltwater Tank. We can just stream it all day and take screencaps whenever something interesting happens.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

You need to set up some kind of web cam. Darwin Saltwater Tank. We can just stream it all day and take screencaps whenever something interesting happens.

I'd watch this at work and tell my manager that it's a FaceTime with a client. I think she'd buy it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what'd be the best way to do that, wouldn't I need some kind of way to serve up the feed? My IT knowledge is basically mid 90s.

Put my hands in the tank to do a water change and was not attacked. I also saw new pits open up but after a few minutes berg would coincidentally come by and kick it closed with his 40 legs. just walking by, don't have nerd sandcastle + bully flashbacks.

Another update is the juggalos are getting more aggressive still and keep trying to eat some of the molly fry, even though the littlest ones are pretty goddamn big now. Those guys are looking like they're getting in their adult coloration, its a kind of bronze black look. They all have weird different fins from each other so it's cool to see how goldie's genes are being expressed.

I'm assuming her second litter had tyrone as the dad because of color and fancier fins. Her first one was prob dwight because they're all peach/ruddy/yellow shot with white and iridescent highlights. Dwight was a dalmation not full-on panther like tyrone, and he had less fancy fins. It seems like Dwight's black spots have been replaced with goldie's goldfish color, but all goldie's kids have very regular patterns to them.

All of wanda and bologna lips' kids are dalmation to pinto. black/white with some iridescent scales thrown in, especially around the eye and gills. Some are shaping up to be monsters and are gonna be huge. Fat bitch.

The blue guys are actually less territorial than before, but they're still got mean streaks and will bite anybody who looks at them wrong. They haven't tried laying eggs in a while, but whenever they did it was always on the suction cup for the thermometer and I've been finding it knocked down a few times

Gotta prune the gently caress outta these weeds, you can't hardly see poo poo in there. No real growth on the corals but they look alright I guess. Very sub optimal for them I should probably get a better filtering setup and maybe amp up the current in the tank. The red algae I put in there isn't dying but is not noticeably growing either. I wanna put a shitload of live rock in too, get some more hitchhikers.

I actually havent' seen an anemone in a while i'd be kind of disappointed if they all died, even though they were ugly pests. Actually some were kind of cool, when I had a red slime outbreak they turned from lovely brown to red/white banded.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
Buy a webcam from Amazon, hook it up to your computer, aim it at the fish tank, and then set up something like Livestream or Twitch. Not that I've done it before, but it seems like those're all the steps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what'd be the best way to do that, wouldn't I need some kind of way to serve up the feed? My IT knowledge is basically mid 90s.

It's super-easy. You get ahold of a web cam and plug it into a computer. You can get extension cords for it if you need to, it's probably just USB. You need the computer to be on, of course, and attached to the interwebs. Then you host your video feed somewhere. Ustream is probably the way to go, since Twitch is supposed to be for vidyagames.

Also, yeah your water seems cloudy from your photos but it's hard to tell if that's your camera, or gunk on the glass, or what. You should probably make sure you have the right sort of lighting for a saltwater aquarium, if you haven't done that already. I know they make lights that are good for plants and poo poo.

For the cam, you'd probably want to figure out a way to mount it so that the whole tank is in view, but there's no reflection off the glass. You might have to monkey with it for a while to get the right angle and stuff.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Leperflesh posted:

Also, yeah your water seems cloudy from your photos but it's hard to tell if that's your camera, or gunk on the glass, or what. You should probably make sure you have the right sort of lighting for a saltwater aquarium, if you haven't done that already. I know they make lights that are good for plants and poo poo.

Are you sure he wants the right sort of lighting for the plants? Seems like right now all he can do is to barely keep them in check. (Although for tank health I feel that more plants would always be more nutrient/chemically stable for any fauna.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I got one of those Finnex Hugestyle™ Natural Sun lights. I think it's pretty good, I picked natural sunlight style because I like the colors more, the other options might have been better for the plants or corals or whatever, but I don't really go for the blacklit look. Maybe a little would make the colors pop, but IMO it's too easy to make the poo poo look dayglo. An example is berg actually has different stripes and spots that don't show up in pics, but they'd be pretty sweet looking actinics or w/e. I think it's worth it to trade that off and in exchange the aquarium looks normal

but the finnex I think is a great light. only thing that I can say is negative is that sometimes it seems to flicker, but not everybody can notice it. So I probably have some kind of brain disease. At the same time we have notoriously poor electrical quality here and a huge amount of electronics running full bore at all times.

I agree with more plants = more better. The reason I gotta prune is because they're overgrowing so nobody can see poo poo and it looks like a loving abandoned lot. I'd love it if the plants could be grown up enough that they totally biologically filtered this thing, but realistically I think there is just not enough volume in the tank to make it work. i'm thinking of that gradeschool science class where they went over trophic levels where there has to be 10x the plant biomass vs animal mass

sometimes I still hear that weird clicking, dunno what the gently caress that's about. One day i'm gonna come back in and the piece of poo poo is shattered.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

I got one of those Finnex Hugestyle™ Natural Sun lights. I think it's pretty good, I picked natural sunlight style because I like the colors more, the other options might have been better for the plants or corals or whatever, but I don't really go for the blacklit look. Maybe a little would make the colors pop, but IMO it's too easy to make the poo poo look dayglo. An example is berg actually has different stripes and spots that don't show up in pics, but they'd be pretty sweet looking actinics or w/e. I think it's worth it to trade that off and in exchange the aquarium looks normal

but the finnex I think is a great light. only thing that I can say is negative is that sometimes it seems to flicker, but not everybody can notice it. So I probably have some kind of brain disease. At the same time we have notoriously poor electrical quality here and a huge amount of electronics running full bore at all times.

I agree with more plants = more better. The reason I gotta prune is because they're overgrowing so nobody can see poo poo and it looks like a loving abandoned lot. I'd love it if the plants could be grown up enough that they totally biologically filtered this thing, but realistically I think there is just not enough volume in the tank to make it work. i'm thinking of that gradeschool science class where they went over trophic levels where there has to be 10x the plant biomass vs animal mass

sometimes I still hear that weird clicking, dunno what the gently caress that's about. One day i'm gonna come back in and the piece of poo poo is shattered.

Clicking leading to tank explosion is probably only a problem if you accidentally got a mantis shrimp in there. And you would probably know that already.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
it's probably that awesome crab talkin poo poo to the worm

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"mutant dick lookin motherfucker! bitch I benchpress 14 ounces what now yeah eat that sand fuckin detritus" *worm ignores the gently caress outta him*

I have the suspicion that there are hidden cracks forming in the glass is all, the poo poo will be caved the gently caress in one day I know it

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hows the peeworm? Any sightings?

edit: I mean peepeeworm. I'm sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

karms fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 24, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
All I want for Christmas is for the crabs to beat the worms once and for all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
well I accidentally smashed the poo poo out of the heater I use to warm the water in my salt-mixin garbage can. Due to trifling bullshit I have to keep that part of the deal in the garage and it's like 40°. So I can't do water changes because the cold temp throws the saltometer way off.

I guess I could just eyeball it?? Add some salt, add some water, bam?

As far as the life forms, the baby fish are getting big as gently caress now. Goldie's kids are getting super insane ridiculous tails, i'll try to get a decent pick, they're all mutinoids.

Worm update: no worm sigtings. I have seen wormsine though. Another thing that's weird is sometimes there'll be "volcano" type situations where deeper strata gets extruded to the surface and it forms a cone. The sand is always black but within a day it turns normal colored and then the surface normalizes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnLvdZuURzo&t=5s

wormsign

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

please tell the worms happy new year, from pet island.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
This thread has taught me the names of some very disturbing sea monsters

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im not gonna lie, i thought op was tellin stories, and even tho the pix sucked, it became clear he wasnt. despite exile to PI, it was good. ty

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wheats posted:

please tell the worms happy new year, from pet island.

I did, but I don't belive they celebrate.

I'll continue to update as the situation on the ground changes. Also strongly considering in-tank aquacam uplink. In a few months I might have to :siren:Break Down the Tank:siren: for a move, should be loving fun

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Please capture it with the finest technology twenty dollars or thereabouts buys you please. Make this the best thread of 2015. :)

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I still don't know if this thread is a joke or not.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
The lack of photography is disappointing. I prefer the disappointment of the exhibited photographs.

Also, more crab!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
minor update: did a night time water change, usually I do it in the day, but there wwere a few spag worms climbing up the glass in an insane bid for freedom. Didn't work out, the wave motion knocked them free, but they were so light they started just floating around.

whenever I walk by the thing the mollies think I'm gonnia feed them so they came storming out, saw the floating worms, and tried to eat them. But as soon as they got bit, the worms would coil up over the fish faces, and that scared the poo poo out of them so they would just spit the worms out. This happened like 8 times in a row and then the worms floated out of view. tried to tape it but you know, piece of poo poo garbagebag phone

haven't seen the crab in a while, kind of getting worried about him

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Eagerly awaiting photos of your breaking down the tank for a move. I want to see what the monster looks like fully revealed.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I wish the mollies would just eat them.

I don't think any recreational aquarist wants a tank of worms. The worms have to go! More crabs, less worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

errant wit
Jul 21, 2008
Can't you just get a net and scoop the weird worm things out? Evict them?

• Locked thread