Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Cantorsdust posted:

is Normal the name of the town, or was this guy just super loving average?

bucketmouse posted:

normal is not the word i'd use

and what exchange was that

Normal, IL hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

you've found it. the whitest place on earth

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

significantly less white than portland

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nintendo Kid posted:

significantly less white than portland

i hate to break it to you fishmech

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it depends. the census estimates say that normal is 85.1% "white alone" while portland is 85.0% white alone. but if you instead consider the "white alone, not hispanic or latino" number, it's 82.5% vs. 83.6%

that's assuming you're applying standard fishmech rules of portland being the minor city in maine. the city in oregon is 76.1% / 72.2% white alone, which is an amazing 12.5% less white than a random college town in central illinois

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i will say that i think the guy has potential as a writer. he's like 20, i think the odds are good that he'll grow out of this stuff especially given how it ended for him at buttcoin.

i mean he's not actually incompetent, he's just completely undisciplined. he doesn't do that lifeless oatmeal writing that people who have no ability with words put out, the problem is that he has no self-control. if he had reined himself in i think that he might actually have had a positive reception here.

ok now review mine

seriously

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

it depends. the census estimates say that normal is 85.1% "white alone" while portland is 85.0% white alone. but if you instead consider the "white alone, not hispanic or latino" number, it's 82.5% vs. 83.6%

that's assuming you're applying standard fishmech rules of portland being the minor city in maine. the city in oregon is 76.1% / 72.2% white alone, which is an amazing 12.5% less white than a random college town in central illinois

a new challenger has arrived!

round one... fishmech!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

rjmccall posted:

i'm applying the rule of "significantly" being greater than a difference of, at max, 1.1%

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i just want you to know that i hate you all

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

but infernal machines, nothing less than THE SACRED TRUTH is at stake!!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Muscle Tracer posted:

i'm applying the rule of "significantly" being greater than a difference of, at max, 1.1%

that's statistically significant

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

that means we've all made it as journalists

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

that's statistically significant

and yet neither important nor noteworthy

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

it's pagerank, lower numbers are better

Oh thanks, I was confused about that too, I thought FCKGW had hosed with the axes which is pretty much touching the poop.

I'd like to see Google trends info for "buttcoin", did it spike when the FTC said "buttcoin"?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i always like pratchett's response to that:

I liked the only atheist who got constantly zapped by lightning and stormed by locusts but he just claimed that "you can't make me believe in you just by existing!!!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

killhamster posted:

ok now review mine

seriously

It's like a whale wildly slapping a keyboard with it's tail.

A rather smart whale though, i mean, most whales probably can't even make words. Some would probably break the keyboard.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
nacho needs to stop with the self depreciation

calling himself a loving idiot for minor mistakes just makes me think of him as a loving idiot

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Powershift posted:

It's like a whale wildly slapping a keyboard with it's tail.

A rather smart whale though, i mean, most whales probably can't even make words. Some would probably break the keyboard.

A bear whale? I guess they can type okay otherwise they wouldn't be able to set up their sell walls.

Has anyone said bear whale = paid krill yet? :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2otd55/what_happened_to_rbitcoin_how_did_it_become/

quote:

What happened to r/bitcoin? How did it become overrun with trolls and negativism? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 7 hours ago by kiwikku

The subreddit kinda... died. You have 100K+ users but very few posts get over 200 upvotes. All the comments are straight-up trolling. What happened?

quote:

[–]BigMoneyGuy 26 points 6 hours ago

Other subs have mods that ban obvious trolls. Mods in /r/Bitcoin think trolling is free speech, when it's actually the opposite: It's a tool for disrupting free speech.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

clearly the market has spoken. the people want trolling and who the gently caress are you to deprive them of it by fiat?

moderators are just a bullshit artificial distortion of the comment market, put in place by those subreddit fatcats to hoard the upvotes.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

AlbieQuirky posted:

Well, yeah, if his writing was less lovely we'd like it more.

this is yospos, the only thing we like in these parts is how

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Tanith posted:

Spacecraft 2k-2.1k is awesome and so is your av

:hfive:

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

[–]BigMoneyGuy 26 points 6 hours ago

Other subs have mods that ban obvious trolls. Mods in /r/Bitcoin think trolling is free speech, when it's actually the opposite: It's a tool for disrupting free speech.

put this guy on the harvard debate team, he's ready

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death my right to ban you for trolling

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Cantorsdust posted:

is Normal the name of the town, or was this guy just super loving average?
the breaking news story was about a neurotypical found using bitcoin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

jony ive aces posted:

the breaking news story was about a neurotypical found using bitcoin

Hey guys I had an idea for going mainstream, pay someone named Average Joe to use bitcoin! (self.buttlord)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Best B#$*h - 77 year old BITCOIN Rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4cPHFBeiU

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/monty-hall-problem/

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Best B#$*h - 77 year old BITCOIN Rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4cPHFBeiU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

welcome to yospos!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

computer toucher posted:

I liked the only atheist who got constantly zapped by lightning and stormed by locusts but he just claimed that "you can't make me believe in you just by existing!!!"
he was the freethinking golem, right? the fact that the discworld's more prominent atheist had a lightning-proof baked clay body was extremely infuriating to the gods

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Quiet you fool!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bucketmouse posted:

those traffic numbers made me go look for comedy at bitcointalk

it's a complete wasteland now and not in the funny way, seems like all of the crazy has all shifted over to reddit

normal is not the word i'd use

and what exchange was that

normal is a city in illinois

e: whoops didn't see the last page

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

FMguru posted:

he was the freethinking golem, right? the fact that the discworld's more prominent atheist had a lightning-proof baked clay body was extremely infuriating to the gods

can't remember but prolly yes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

/rr bitcoin are a bunch of whiny babies. If someone wanders into /r/buttcoin and starts trolling as pro bitcoin we sticky the post until the commenters tire them out and they leave

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Mods in /r/Bitcoin think trolling is free speech, when it's actually the opposite: It's a tool for disrupting free speech. 

Wait, I thought being disruptive was a good thing?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

MGN001 posted:

Wait, I thought being disruptive was a good thing?

unless youre a paid shill

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

but even then thats the free market at work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

paid shills are the truest form of free speech: corporate speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

computer toucher posted:

can't remember but prolly yes.

multiple books also mention the "atheists in discworld often have the god's trash their place" bit

pratchett owns

• Locked thread