Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I want to like this show more, but they need to either reveal to Henry's immortality to the female detective or just stop constantly hinting at it every. single. episode.

We get it, lol he makes jokes about being older then he looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

pentyne posted:

I want to like this show more, but they need to either reveal to Henry's immortality to the female detective or just stop constantly hinting at it every. single. episode.

We get it, lol he makes jokes about being older then he looks.

I expect it will happen in next weeks episode as the see you in the spring cliffhanger.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hope they do pick up the immortality. Have been enjoying the show for the most part. This past episode I didn't like Henry's deduction of the fight between the victim's future father in law. It was too much Sherlock Holmes to me. I don't mind it when he does it with the body since he is an M.E.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Hope they do pick up the immortality. Have been enjoying the show for the most part. This past episode I didn't like Henry's deduction of the fight between the victim's future father in law. It was too much Sherlock Holmes to me. I don't mind it when he does it with the body since he is an M.E.

I like how his feelings of superiority are holding him back TBH. He went full Sherlock there but didn't bother to do a full autopsy at all, so we got the reveal about the head wound later.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Do MEs generally have a huge fuckoff hunting knife as part of their kit? Also the Sherlock stuff is fine, and can be chalked up to 200 years of experiance. He has probably literally seen it all at this point.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Tonight is the fall finale for the show.

quote:

Skinny Dipper

As the anonymous caller tries to frame Henry for murder, Henry contemplates revealing the truth.

Also a spoiler I guess: they tell you who Adam is.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Sober posted:

Tonight is the fall finale for the show.

Also a spoiler I guess: they tell you who Adam is.

of course it's Burn Gorman! You know as soon as he shows up it'll be him, because when is he not a creepy gently caress? He's got the perfect face for it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I was suspicious of the therapist from the start, but what sold it for me was something I caught in the interview that Henry missed: when Henry said that he had his roommate Abe as a friend and confidante, the therapist said "yes, but don't you think you should have someone closer to your own age?" and how would he know how old Abe was?

I'm glad they didn't try and hide the identity for another half-season.

The interesting thing with Adam is that so far, he's basically only been HELPING Henry. He's been giving Henry tip-offs about other dangerous people who have killed and will kill again, and he actually saved Henry's cover from getting blown once. I'm not even sure that the body who was vivisected was his work and not the nuts (but I think Adam makes more sense).

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
He did kill the cabbie for sure though, in cold blood. I imagine the other guy too since it was done with such precision.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I think the big danger is when Adam gets bored of Henry. The only reason he seems to have any interest in Henry is because he's something new after all this time. So when the novelty of messing with Henry is done what will he do next?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I was suspicious of the therapist from the start, but what sold it for me was something I caught in the interview that Henry missed: when Henry said that he had his roommate Abe as a friend and confidante, the therapist said "yes, but don't you think you should have someone closer to your own age?" and how would he know how old Abe was?
I spotted that but couldn't tell if it was an intentional hint or just a mistake in the script.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm glad they didn't try and hide the identity for another half-season.
I'm still annoyed that he hasn't told Martinez that he's immortal. And the fact that he almost did in this episode just makes it worse.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frgildan posted:

I think the big danger is when Adam gets bored of Henry. The only reason he seems to have any interest in Henry is because he's something new after all this time. So when the novelty of messing with Henry is done what will he do next?

Adam claims to be 2000 years old right? And Henry is the first immortal he's ever met? I'm almost certain that Adam's endgame is to turn Henry to his way of thinking and finally have a friend to chat/hang out/won't die on him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

He did kill the cabbie for sure though, in cold blood. I imagine the other guy too since it was done with such precision.

That's what I thought until Adam said that the nut would "kill again", and since the nut had the sword which killed the cabdriver... it's a bit confusing, really.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
But the killer of the cabbie shot himself and his body wasnt recovered. I assume it took Henry awhile to drown so I'd think he would have noticed if the killer escaped or the body didn't disappear or whatever. I would assume that Adam disposed of the sword before kidnapping Henry and retrieved it later. Anything else and the whole thing doesn't make sense.

Adam was obviously grooming the guy so he probably gave him the sword to make a point to Henry and make it more likely Henry would kill the dude.

Edit: Henry was actually alone in the car for a bit before going into the water so it absolutely had to be Adam.

BIG CITY LAWYER fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2014

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Even though the latest episode pushed the main arc considerably forward (despite the convoluted plot and the story acrobatics that lead to the protagonist killing some random psycho) I can't help but wonder if this show aspires to be something unique and special.

Because so far it has zero or only few things going for it (I can only think of the relationship with his "son" and the occasionally reversed roles due to his... condition). The other stuff I have already seen before. I mean nothing stands out.

The secret that noone must know, because reasons. The multiple cop-outs until some people eventually find out (and probably one of them is the female interest). The killer of the week format with maybe a minor push of the main arc in the last 5 minutes. The main antagonist psychopath who remains hidden and slips away at the last moment (also revealing who he is so that the story progresses a few steps). The flashbacks whereby the immortal learns valuable life lessons or gets tortured (even dissected alive -elsewhere) etc.

If the creators have any (more) aces up their sleeves, perhaps they should play them quickly.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I dunno, I like this show. And I liked this episode. :shrug: Despite some plot holes, the show's entertaining, the premise is interesting and I think the lead actor is somewhat charismatic. It's not some cinematic masterpiece but it's also not Under the Dome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Even though the latest episode pushed the main arc considerably forward (despite the convoluted plot and the story acrobatics that lead to the protagonist killing some random psycho) I can't help but wonder if this show aspires to be something unique and special.

Because so far it has zero or only few things going for it (I can only think of the relationship with his "son" and the occasionally reversed roles due to his... condition). The other stuff I have already seen before. I mean nothing stands out.

The secret that noone must know, because reasons. The multiple cop-outs until some people eventually find out (and probably one of them is the female interest). The killer of the week format with maybe a minor push of the main arc in the last 5 minutes. The main antagonist psychopath who remains hidden and slips away at the last moment (also revealing who he is so that the story progresses a few steps). The flashbacks whereby the immortal learns valuable life lessons or gets tortured (even dissected alive -elsewhere) etc.

If the creators have any (more) aces up their sleeves, perhaps they should play them quickly.

There are a few ways the show could move forward.

1- Adam has created a cult of fanatic followers willing to do whatever he says because he's promised them immortality, causes problems for Henry
2- Henry outs himself to the female cop, she freaks out but they work it out and dying/coming back becomes his super power to help solve crimes
3- Another immortal shows up to fight Adam, tells Henry that only Adam knows how to kill immortals, and there are a handful of Immortals still alive trying to stop him and keep "new" immortals safe from his depredations

I don't get the feeling the show wants to go all in on the immortality aspect, rather it wants that to be a undercurrent to a casual police procedural and just have Henry as a magical Sherlock Holmes. The problem is there are tons of shows currently one with a know-it-all main character detective, including a show with an actual Sherlock Holmes character so without a major hook this show is lost in the crowd.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wait there isn't another episode for a month? gently caress me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
New episode this week!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
This show is really good. I like how in every episode he hints to the fact that he's really old. Dude just really likes his own jokes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Another episode where the premise is totally irrelevant. I'm beginning to think the writers are just loving with us. Either that or they just really wanted to make a generic cop show but needed the immortality gimmick to sell it, but never actually intended to use it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

For some reason 18 year old Abe has a totally different accent to older Abe, despite 10 year old Abe shown in previous episodes having an accent more consistent with current day Abe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tiggum posted:

Another episode where the premise is totally irrelevant. I'm beginning to think the writers are just loving with us. Either that or they just really wanted to make a generic cop show but needed the immortality gimmick to sell it, but never actually intended to use it.

I would have assumed that Abe's war buddies would have known Henry as Abe's "father" and that would have caused issues for him. But it seems he didn't invite them (or at least the one he still was talking with prior to this episode) over in the last 35 years.

By the way, watched Horatio Hornblower over the holidays. Man, it's really weird. He uses the exact same mannerisms and speech cadence/odd way of speaking, only looking 15 years younger.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Abe knows the whole time so I assumed he was just careful not to show pictures of his father to anyone.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I didn't think I was the liberal type, but the whole angle of the generic Wall Street stockphoto studio being cartoonishly evil that the heroic cop gets to be smug about and gleefully threaten with rape in jail was a bit much.

I don't want to get mad at my guilty pleasure shows, stop it :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

I didn't think I was the liberal type, but the whole angle of the generic Wall Street stockphoto studio being cartoonishly evil that the heroic cop gets to be smug about and gleefully threaten with rape in jail was a bit much.

I don't want to get mad at my guilty pleasure shows, stop it :(

"Cop casually mentions a suspect getting raped in jail as a tactic" is a fundamental part of TV cop shows and not likely to go anywhere for at least a generation.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure you can really say this when the entire eleventh episode is about nothing except the immortality stuff. That reveal at the end. :stonk:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Decius posted:

By the way, watched Horatio Hornblower over the holidays. Man, it's really weird. He uses the exact same mannerisms and speech cadence/odd way of speaking, only looking 15 years younger.

I did exactly the same thing, but I didn't know going into Hornblower that he was played by the same guy who played Henry.
So I spent the first fifteen minutes going "Dammit, I know I've seen those fabulous cheekbones before!" until he burst up from underwater with no shirt on and I recognised him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure you can really say this when the entire eleventh episode is about nothing except the immortality stuff. That reveal at the end. :stonk:

But it didn't have any effect on anything. One episode later and everything's the same as it was one episode before.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Tiggum posted:

But it didn't have any effect on anything. One episode later and everything's the same as it was one episode before.

I don't think you get network procedurals.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Decius posted:

I would have assumed that Abe's war buddies would have known Henry as Abe's "father" and that would have caused issues for him. But it seems he didn't invite them (or at least the one he still was talking with prior to this episode) over in the last 35 years.

Having just watched the episode, the dialogue came across to me as Henry never having met them. They were Abe's platoon in Vietnam or whatever, doesn't mean they ever met his 'father' after the war. And even if they know Abe's father is named Henry, he can just be 'yeah I named my kid after my dad, so what'

And while I get that this is a procedural, they don't need to take things as slow as they have been. Shows like Arrow are popular because they jettison most of the procedural filler stuff, while Forever feels like it's trying to fit the Castle mold of mostly filler with the occasional arc tidbit. I think that the whole Adam stalker bit in the 11th episode would have been a good place to bring Jo in, and they could have played the rest of the episode roughly the same (telling the LT he's just a crazy stalker, etc) but then you get to have Jo dealing with this crazy info and trying to come to terms with it. Hell, they're dancing around it about as closely as you can get already.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 13, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't think you get network procedurals.
I do. My point is that if it only comes up in one episode, then it's not relevant. If it's not coming up in the plot of most episodes then it's not really having any effect on the show.

WarLocke posted:

And while I get that this is a procedural, they don't need to take things as slow as they have been. Shows like Arrow are popular because they jettison most of the procedural filler stuff, while Forever feels like it's trying to fit the Castle mold of mostly filler with the occasional arc tidbit.
The key difference between Castle and Forever is that Castle isn't keeping his thing secret. The fact that he's a writer, not a cop, comes up all the time. Everyone knows about it, it influences the plot of the show fairly continuously. At least in the early seasons.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I tend to let shows linger in my Hulu queue, but despite it's flaws this is the show I watch as soon as it pops up every time. I love the "super-old immortal detective solving mundane crimes" concept even though it usually ends up in mediocre-to-bad shows and this show isn't really an exception but has been very fun to watch.

:lol: at Henry trying to sit quietly and being completely unable to do it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So what the hell is up with the three week break this show got?!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's back this week. Caught the Canada airing. Really good episode this week, probably one of the better ones, though for a first season most of them are pretty on-point IMO considering this is supposed to be a procedural.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I agree. Even without the immortality stuff this is a very good procedural - Good cast with strong chemistry, interesting characters, intelligent, engaging cases. Kinda like Bones before it died and its rotting corpse was condemned to an eternity of servitude.

The fantasy quirk is just icing on the cake, but I wish they'd hurry up and bring Jo into the circle of people who know about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I like that they've made Adam as less of a completely evil monster and more someone who just got so over excited over meeting another immortal that he went too far. It'd be nice if they use the character more as someone who pushes Henry to embrace all the benefits of his immortality and is more of a morally ambiguous rear end in a top hat then a mustache twirling villain.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.

He was found as a baby whilst liberating a concentration camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

He was found as a baby whilst liberating a concentration camp.

I know. That doesn't explain anything.

• Locked thread