Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

i want to smoke crack with AS (aaron sorkin)

I would not because he would absolutely hog that poo poo and I would not get to enjoy that sweet cold sweats goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadpool posted:

On the other hand that episode was funny and I liked it, so it doesn't matter.

True, I think the writing was there enough to show that Josh was kind of losing his mind over it for no particularily good reason.

What happened to the guy who wrote that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Well in fairness internet message boards are terrible. The evidence speaks for itself.

Not as terrible as being such a giant baby that you use your TV show as a soapbox to get back at them. Honestly, I feel like they deserved each other.

smg77 posted:

I don't know if I can really fault him for going after them. TWoP was a horrible place.

Was? Does it no longer exist? Because whenever that was, it took way too long.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

raditts posted:

Was? Does it no longer exist? Because whenever that was, it took way too long.

They stopped generating new content in April of this year. NBCUniversal was going to shut the whole site down but ~fan outrage~ convinced them to keep it up as an archive. Good riddance.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NBC owned that cesspit?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

NBC owned that cesspit?

Technically Bravo bought the website (in 2008) but Bravo is owned by NBCUniversal (and it was NBCU execs who were making decisions about TWoP at the end).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sorkin's a douche, the writer is a god drat moron and her career is over.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

smg77 posted:

Was that episode of West Wing based on real life events? :laffo:

Which episode is that? As I have it watch it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sbaldrick posted:

Which episode is that? As I have it watch it.

"The U.S. Poet Laureate", season 3, episode 16.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Aphrodite posted:

Sorkin's a douche, the writer is a god drat moron and her career is over.

I doubt that. Sorkin has enough haters out there that someone will give her a job purely out of spite.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah they are, but airing it publicly is petty and really really stupid.
99% of people who know about Reddit don't know how they hosed with the Boston Marathon bombing investigation. Exposure via a TV show, however stupid, is just about the only way people might find out about it since they haven't through other means thus far.

raditts posted:

Not as terrible as being such a giant baby that you use your TV show as a soapbox to get back at them. Honestly, I feel like they deserved each other.
If a showrunner did the same thing about, say, Justin Bieber, I don't think people would be up in arms about it.

I'm not saying Aaron Sorkin isn't a deeply flawed person and, as The Newsroom is showing, a deeply flawed writer, but Twitter didn't exist back then, so if he wanted to include a B storyline in his show taking down a mob of juvenile morons, that's okay by me.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 10, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of which, Sorkin released a statement yesterday responding to the criticisms of the campus rape storyline, in which he explains who the real victim is here:

Poor Aaron. It must be horrible for him, having his trust and privacy violated like that.
From said writer's Twitter feed just now:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Josh Lyman posted:

99% of people who know about Reddit don't know how they hosed with the Boston Marathon bombing investigation. Exposure via a TV show, however stupid, is just about the only way people might find out about it since they haven't through other means thus far.

Is this the same incident as when they blamed the already dead indian kid for terrorism and harassed his family?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Josh Lyman posted:

CNN was the one loving with the Boston Bombing investigation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravane posted:

Is this the same incident as when they blamed the already dead indian kid for terrorism and harassed his family?
I think that's what I'm thinking of.

bobkatt013 posted:

CNN was the one loving with the Boston Bombing investigation.
And this is exactly why what Sorkin does, however silly, has some value.

Wikipedia posted:

The New York Post on its April 18 front page showed two men, and said they were being sought by the authorities. The two were not the ones being sought as suspects. They were a 17-year-old boy and his track coach. The boy, from Revere, Massachusetts, turned himself over to the police immediately and was cleared after a 20-minute interview in which they advised him to deactivate his Facebook account. New York Post editor Col Allan stated, "We stand by our story. The image was emailed to law enforcement agencies yesterday afternoon seeking information about these men, as our story reported. We did not identify them as suspects." The two were implied to be possible suspects via crowdsourcing on the websites Reddit and 4chan.

Several other people were mistakenly identified as suspects. Two of those wrongly identified as suspects on Reddit were a 17-year-old track star and Sunil Tripathi, a Brown University student missing since March. Tripathi was found dead on April 23 in the Providence River.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 10, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Was that the real Ken Burns on The Mindy Project? Because that was hilarious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Josh Lyman posted:

I think that's what I'm thinking of.

And this is exactly why what Sorkin does, however silly, has some value.

It sounds to me like the fault here lies with the goddamn joke of a news media that looks to loving Reddit for its information.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Guys, I'm worried. Someone came into our office just now who is the SPITTING image of the killer from Too Many Cooks. :ohdear:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Guys, I'm worried. Someone outside Starbucks is wearing a flannel shirt just like Freddy Kruger from Nightmare on Elm Street. :ohdear:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Guys, I'm worried. Someone is laughing uproariously just like Max Cady in Cape Fear. :ohdear:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Irish Joe posted:

Guys, I'm worried. Someone is laughing uproariously just like Max Cady in Cape Fear. :ohdear:

If you are in a movie theater, you need to get out now before he sees you

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

its rapey joe stalin come to claim his title as tviv's only joe

I'm putting money down on Irish to come out on top.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rapey Joe Stalin every time... low center of gravity, big russian dick.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

It sounds to me like the fault here lies with the goddamn joke of a news media that looks to loving Reddit for its information.

Journalism loves Twitter and Reddit because instead of doing actual investigation and paying people they can just post a bunch of tweets and pictures without having to pay anyone or ask permission because everything on the internet is free.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tell that to my usenet bill.

I just rewatched the new episode of Lost Girl, and lo and behold... 12 Monkeys teaser. Seymour Birkhoff !! is the main guy. I'm in on this ground floor, all in, balls deep.. etc etc.

Can't wait.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix has a bold plan.

quote:

Within five years Netflix would like to premiere a new original series or new season of an existing series every two-and-a-half weeks, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in New York on Monday.
To hit that cadence, Netflix will have to increase the number of original shows on its streaming video service. Right now Netflix has 9 original series, including the forthcoming "Marco Polo" and landmark "House of Cards," but it intends to ramp up to as many as 20, Mr. Sarandos said.
Netflix "will eventually be the largest producer of original content in the world," Mr. Sarandos said.

Good for them but since they've only had one unequivocally good show so far I'll guess we'll have to see.

Also it's looking like HBO is going to debut it's standalone service along with the new season of GoT in April.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

I just rewatched the new episode of Lost Girl, and lo and behold... 12 Monkeys teaser. Seymour Birkhoff !! is the main guy. I'm in on this ground floor, all in, balls deep.. etc etc.

Can't wait.

I was thinking of trying Lost Girl; I understand it's done early next year, so I guess I'll wait until it's finished and watch the lot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Good for them but since they've only had one unequivocally good show so far I'll guess we'll have to see.

I wouldn't consider Arrested Development season 4 unequivocally good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe what is a show that you think is unequivocally good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honeybooboo, Pickerpreppers, Seinfeld.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Also it's looking like HBO is going to debut it's standalone service along with the new season of GoT in April.

Using the MLB platform instead of going in-house. Anyone know how good/reliable the MLB experience is?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Irish Joe what is a show that you think is unequivocally good.

I'm still working on my top 10 for the other thread, but I'd say Louie, Fargo, Mom and 24 are all unequivocally good shows in addition to being the best shows from their respective genres. The problem with most of Netflix's output is that its reach exceeds its grasp. House of Cards is a competent show--it does everything right--but its not a good show. Orange is the New Black is a critically acclaimed show, but it isn't fun to watch. Bojack Horseman is a revolutionary cartoon that is visually ugly and leans too heavily on bad puns and Hollywood tropes. And so on and so forth. I'm looking forward to Kimmy Schmitt, but I haven't spent the last six months jacking it over the show so I can cum the moment its released. Hopefully its good, but if its not, I'm not going to hide my shame boner behind limp wristed defenses such as "we need more women-led comedies on television" (or whatever people will say about Kimmy Schmitt when they can't say "its good").

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress is Kimmy Schmitt?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

What the gently caress is Kimmy Schmitt?

Tiny Fey's Ellie Tempur comedy that was supposed to air on NBC, but was bought by Netflix.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

Well, the question is why would we set Netflix's bar higher than any current broadcast or cable network.

The real threat here is if Netflix's slate is that ambitious and not tied to a specific TV season, they may poach series that networks may have bid on before they are ready to bid on them. Once the traditional fall TV season starts breaking down (and to be honest, this has been happening on its own the past few years with stronger and stronger summer programming), the whole ratings and ad structure completely collapses.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Using the MLB platform instead of going in-house. Anyone know how good/reliable the MLB experience is?

MLB Advanced Media was significantly ahead of the curve in realizing that streaming was the future, and as a result their infrastructure is generally very, very good. WWE uses it for their Network backend, and so does ESPN for its streaming and CBS for its March Madness streaming.

It's a really solid platform.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Honeybooboo, Pickerpreppers, Seinfeld.

Honey Boo-Boo and Seinfeld had some of the greatest comedic endings in television history, the former unintentionally, but funny regardless. In Seinfeld, everyone was imprisoned because they were all just really lovely people who had no respect for society, which was a major theme; they were people who accomplished absolutely no character growth whatsoever throughout the series. And that's exactly what they were imprisoned for.

Not unlike Seinfeld, the characters of Honey Boo-Boo also did not mature in any manner. In fact, they actually got worse as the show went on (though I did learn quite a bit about Extreme Couponing). The ending was perfect as they reintroduced an old romantic interest for Big Mama, a man who was recently released from a 10 year prison sentence for molesting Muffintop (Honey Boo Boo's sister), thus fitting in with the major theme that they were all lovely people with no respect for themselves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think that actually happened on the show, but I don't watch it so I can't be sure.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
OITNB, while obviously not Irish Joe's cup of tea, is probably the closest thing Netflix has to being actually 'good' at the moment. I haven't had the chance to watch Bojack Horseman yet. House of Cards though felt way to sterile most of the time and got boring to watch as Kevin Spacey just bulldozed over the competition (for the lack of a better word) like nothing. He had, what, 2 setbacks in all of the first season? That gets boring to watch. Apparently he just goes full supervillain in S2 and the show is not self-aware enough to realize it or something?

Kimmy Schmidt I'm banking on Fey knowing what she is doing, so I'm none too worried about it. Hopefully. I say this as a big fan of 30 Rock and her time on SNL.

And Marco Polo looks like it's getting poo poo on by critics for being too by-the-numbers and too much an attempt to grab GoT viewers. Apparently Marco Polo might be more of a business-led show than a creative one, and at least the critics can see the bullshit coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aw I was looking forward to that, do you have any of the reviews?

• Locked thread