Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

paraquat posted:

what do you normally do for the "chili" part of your chili?
oh and use beef broth/bouillon maybe?

and I'm sorry..

I figured I would have to marinate the tofu and probably amp up the flavor to compensate for the lack of it. I also want to find a flavor profile that will work well, considering we havent done a dish like this before.

It's not even like a preference thing, either. My wife has been getting physically sick after eating beef. I think its because we've been buying lower quality meat from cheaper grocers because its been getting so expensive. I miss grilled steak so much. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I figured I would have to marinate the tofu and probably amp up the flavor to compensate for the lack of it. I also want to find a flavor profile that will work well, considering we havent done a dish like this before.

It's not even like a preference thing, either. My wife has been getting physically sick after eating beef. I think its because we've been buying lower quality meat from cheaper grocers because its been getting so expensive. I miss grilled steak so much. :smith:

Consider Mushrooms as well to add some "meatyness" to the chili? Get as much umami in there as possible. even so far as some liquid smoke to invoke a remembrance of beef. I'm thinking go a bit earthy with the chili's over straight up face melting spice.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
If cheap meat is getting your wife sick, it's a much bigger problem than just being lower quality. USDA Select is usually tasteless and tough, but it should certainly loving not be dirty. You might want to get her to a doctor.

Where are you that Choice beef is prohibitively expensive?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Use brown lentils rather than tofu. God, tofu in chili sounds vile. Use this kind. They'll have a texture similar to ground beef and they won't look like someone splooged dumped a container of cottage cheese into your chili.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bob Morales posted:

Make sweet potato chili, don't use stupid meat substitutes.

this is extremely true!
...but, they already have tofu marinating, so that has to be eaten now.

In general, if you're going the vegetarian route to save money, your best bet is to google vegetarian dishes instead of trying to make it "similar to a non-vegetarian dish", that will always turn out sub-par.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 10, 2014

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

She might be allergic to beef. It's not uncommon. Try some better quality beef and see how she responds to it, and if it's not good, then switch to bison.

I live in Alberta, so beef is easy to come by, but I stopped buying it at the grocery store. Try buying it from a farmers market, but eat smaller quantities of meat and flesh out your meal with veggies. While some people find it sacrilegious, I add black beans to my chili. If you added some mushrooms, you could get several meals out of one beef purchase. Add a loaf of bread and a salad. I also use a pound of stew meat for my stew, and gobs of celery, carrots, potatoes, and parsnips. My sister is weird and adds peas to her stew, too.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Echeveria posted:

I add black beans to my chili.

I love black beans in my chili...and corn, but I won't confess to the latter at gunpoint.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I love corn, but only as corn. If I find corn in salsa, stew or chili, it's all over for me. I'm not a picky eater, but I do have some food quirks.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I think the real quirk is wanting corn in chili, you're fine!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love corn in chili, and in rice, beef stew, and with lima beans and soybeans.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

I can't remember if it was in this thread or elsewhere but I saw a recommendation for cashews in meatless chili for some texture and protein, maybe try that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I really like TVP instead of meat in chili. It has a similar texture, and it'll absorb flavor like nothing else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I really like TVP instead of meat in chili. It has a similar texture, and it'll absorb flavor like nothing else.

It has to absorb flavor because it has none of its own.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

withak posted:

It has to absorb flavor because it has none of its own.

Correct. It is also really good at absorbing flavor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably it is better to make chili out of stuff that has flavor.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Well, it's a better option than tofu, as previously suggested. What would you say is a good meat substitute in chili?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Chicken

edit: This isn't the Spicy Vegetable Stew thread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'd rather have TVP chili than chicken chili, personally. Better texture, and they'll end up tasting similar.

E: lol, chili purism

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 11, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If this isn't the place for chili purism then I don't know what is.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Then what are you doing giving advice on meatless chili?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if it absolutely, positively had to be meatless, i would look at the morningstar farms ground beef substitute. I've made taco salad with it and while it is certainly not beef, it's not half bad. It's not exactly cheap either.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I managed to convince the wife to not go with tofu chili, on the grounds that the marinade hasn't soaked even a bit into the tofu, and that we don't have the proper ingredients. Instead, we're going to make some kind of tofu noodle stir fry type dish, which seems far more appropriate.

We'll probably make chili next week. I like the sound of cashews and mushrooms in chili, but haven't ever tried either.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I made ground turkey chili yesterday because I didn't want to eat 2 pounds of beef.

I also added beans, since purism is kind of out the window already

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jose posted:

I made chilli today and I'm really struggling to get it really hot due to how pathetic the fresh peppers I can get are. I had 5 red chillies which is what they're called in the supermarket, about the heat of a jalapeno and 5 scotch bonnets for fresh peppers. Then had 5 dried habaneros, 2 chipotle, 2 guajillo, 1 mulato, 1 ancho and about 4 de arbols since I was running out of dried peppers. 3 chipotles in adobo too. I don't really want to put my entire amount of dried habaneros in so any suggestions on getting it hotter? I'm looking for fresh habanero level heat.

I'm in the UK which is part of the problem with getting fresh peppers

(Older post, but)
Toss a healthy bit of bourbon in your chili near the end of your simmer. A ton of the flavors dissolve better in alcohol and you'll get more of them straight to your nose/integrated in to the whole thing.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

neogeo0823 posted:

I managed to convince the wife to not go with tofu chili, on the grounds that the marinade hasn't soaked even a bit into the tofu, and that we don't have the proper ingredients. Instead, we're going to make some kind of tofu noodle stir fry type dish, which seems far more appropriate.

We'll probably make chili next week. I like the sound of cashews and mushrooms in chili, but haven't ever tried either.

Our go-to veggie week chilli is a bean chilli. Sometimes we stick some sweet potato in there as well. It's good stuff!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey is there another steak that's a similar price to chuck that may or may not be better for chili? I've been using chuck steak recently but didn't know if there was a better alternative. Thank u all

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Basically any cheap beef will work. Like basically whatever you want. I like London broil.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are cooking it with a bunch of intense spices until it falls apart. You don't need to worry too much about exactly what cut goes in.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Stew beef is my go-to. I've tried pricier cuts and it makes no difference. Best part about stew meat besides the price is that it's already chopped up. Makes your life easier.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Hey is there another steak that's a similar price to chuck that may or may not be better for chili? I've been using chuck steak recently but didn't know if there was a better alternative. Thank u all

Shank, short ribs. You want the tough parts with lots of connective tissue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dis astranagant posted:

Shank, short ribs. You want the tough parts with lots of connective tissue.

Short ribs are like $8/lb here :eek:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Short ribs are like $8/lb here :eek:

They vary a lot depending on local demand. Some places drat near give them away.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone in this thread played around with making their own chili spice mixes from scratch? I got a mortar & pestle over Christmas and I'm excited to grind some poo poo up in it. I bought some dried ancho chiles and baked a couple of them with some garlic, then ground them all up and the powder is awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone in this thread played around with making their own chili spice mixes from scratch? I got a mortar & pestle over Christmas and I'm excited to grind some poo poo up in it. I bought some dried ancho chiles and baked a couple of them with some garlic, then ground them all up and the powder is awesome.

The Alton Brown recipe is mild but delicious. Spice it up with hotter peppers if you like but don't try charring habeneros.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

wormil posted:

don't try charring habeneros, in your house. Outside on the grill is fine.

Fixed the above, I char habaneros all the time outside, did jalapenos one time inside for some off reason, and it was like I set off some teargas.

niss fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 6, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

niss posted:

Fixed the above, I char habaneros all the time outside, did jalapenos one time inside for some off reason, and it was like I set off some teargas.

Good point. I will definitely be charring outdoors from now on. When I tried habeneros it was just like a pepper spray bottle exploded. 40 degrees out and all our windows and doors were open, with everyone huddled in the bedroom with towels around our faces.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I'm bored at work (slow day) and I'm putting together chili recipes. I'd like to add Worcestershire sauce, but I wasn't sure how much. I'm looking at a 5-6 pound chili, for reference. Moreover, when it comes to bourbon, are there other spirits/liquors that people would recommend adding to chili? I'm concerned my different recipes will all taste the same.

I used the chipotle chocolate chili recipe that Doom Rooster posted earlier. My friends were looking for more of a midwestern chili so I'm putting beans in the next chili I make. Reluctantly. Also, anyone have a good recipe for cornbread? Or should I go with the box of Jiffy mix like a chump?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Typically with corn bread, whatever mix or home recipe you end up using, we add some finely diced jalapenos and shred pepper jack into the mix and on top before baking. Adds some spice and really rounds out the flavor, but you have to make sure the peppers are dry, or else things take longer to cook.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I made some deer chili with leftover meat from my roommate's kill. It was pretty loving tasty if I do say so myself.

Recipe:
1.5lbs ground deer
2 onions, diced
4 jalapenos, diced
2 cloves garlic, smashed & diced/mushed
2 serranos, diced
2 habaneros, diced
2 anaheim/whatever peppers, diced
2 cans tomato paste
Now the part that everyone here seems to hate - I think tomatoes do a good job of cutting the gamey flavor:
2 large tomatoes, diced

1tsp oregano
1tsp cumin
1tsp cayenne
2tsp salt
2tsp black pepper
1/4cup brown sugar

Optional - beans, as much/few as you like. I use canned and add them before final simmer.

Brown meat & onions with garlic in pot. Drain, reserve 1 cup of juice (deer is pretty lean, so this isn't a lot of grease really).
Add peppers and cook for a bit before adding the tomato paste and tomatoes, rest of the spices and sugar, and reserved juice. Also add some canned beans now if you so desire.
Cover and cook for a while, stirring every 10-15 or so. I usually get impatient after an hour or so and dig in but it really gets good after about 2 hours of simmering. Make sure to take a sample at 30-40 minutes in and salt to taste. I think the longer you cook it the less spicy it seems, but that may be bullshit. This is pretty spicy chili.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

UnoriginalMind posted:

I'm bored at work (slow day) and I'm putting together chili recipes. I'd like to add Worcestershire sauce, but I wasn't sure how much. I'm looking at a 5-6 pound chili, for reference. Moreover, when it comes to bourbon, are there other spirits/liquors that people would recommend adding to chili? I'm concerned my different recipes will all taste the same.

I used the chipotle chocolate chili recipe that Doom Rooster posted earlier. My friends were looking for more of a midwestern chili so I'm putting beans in the next chili I make. Reluctantly. Also, anyone have a good recipe for cornbread? Or should I go with the box of Jiffy mix like a chump?

This is the best cornbread, provided you can get good stone ground cornmeal as there's no sugar or white flour to hide behind:

http://foodthinkers.com/skillet-cornbread/