Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
1. Im the worlds worst testtaker, what hope do I have of passing A+ (or any of the CompTIA exams)?

2. A+ 220-801 seems slightly harder to remember than 220-802.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I'm an extremely lovely test taker too and I managed to pass 806/900 on the 801. You should be fine as long as you at least read over any material at least once. :)

Can't say anything on it being easier/harder than 802 though since I've yet to take mine. Someone else can probably say though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

The proctor/administrator gave me a sob story about how they don't get paid for handling PearsonVUE testing, even though they're forced to administer/proctor 80+ tech vendors and nobody shows up...

I missed the details, I was too pissed off from failing and not getting my transcript to hear very well.

That failed transcript is really needed to bone up and retake. You could of easily smashed the gently caress out of DNS services, but had a weak run with hyper-v.

644 is like 3 or 4 questions from 700, the passing grade. i've made it through once with like 700.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I think I'm going to pursue some wireless certs this winter just for the heck of it. CCNA Wireless and Aruba Wireless since that's what I use every day. Anybody take either of those and have personal experience to share?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm not asking for answers or a braindump, I just want to know if the A+ test is multiple choice or "choose as many as are correct" like the practice exams I've been doing. I'm using the CompTIA Complete Study Guide and their sample questions are kind of ridiculously in depth.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm not asking for answers or a braindump, I just want to know if the A+ test is multiple choice or "choose as many as are correct" like the practice exams I've been doing. I'm using the CompTIA Complete Study Guide and their sample questions are kind of ridiculously in depth.

Yeah, it is. I think there might be some matching, too? But at least 90% of it is all multiple choice/choose all that apply, etc., as best as I can remember.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, A+ questions are either multiple choice (including "choose all that apply"), or very simple simulators - find where something is in the fake Control Panel, run ping/ipconfig/something else simple from the fake Command Prompt, configure this fake wireless access point, configure this fake phone to receive email using settings provided, drag and drop (names of) components to this picture of a motherboard, match the end of the cable to its name, etc.. Scenario provided is minimal, the most you'll usually get is "You are the admin for Contoso, user reports [PROBLEM], how would you resolve this issue?". For most questions, you won't even get that. No in-depth explanation of who Contoso is or a complete overview of their environment, unlike MS exams.

Race Realists posted:

2. A+ 220-801 seems slightly harder to remember than 220-802.
IIRC, yeah. 801 has a lot of obscure trivia about hardware that you will likely never use in a real world environment - and even if you ever did need to know the pin count of a floppy disk drive connector, it's one of those things that is very easy to look up. I don't think there were many questions like that on my 801 though, so it's better to learn the more useful stuff if you struggle remembering pin counts.

Venusy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 9, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

where does lpic rate as far as linux certs?

I looked at the description for rhce and could get it with a bit of study/cbt nuggets and vmware.

I did SQA at a previous job and worked with linux a lot more then but it was 10 years ago and now I just use it on a secondary computer for basic tasks.

I'm trying to get back into a more tech focused job in the next 6 months to a year and am not quite sure what job titles to work towards.

Huge post from bfc career thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210&pagenumber=20#post438705193

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, gonna take ICND2 again on Monday morning. Studying the hell out of STP, OSPF, and EIGRP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
STP's a killer on ICND2.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Passed my security+ today. Pretty drat stoked.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vintimus Prime posted:

Congrats - I'm about to start on that once I take my 70-680. How long did you study? Any book recommendations?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I use the Darril Gibson book, his study guide. Along with the phone app and the premium content on his site. I studied for about 2 months.

I took the SY-301, that expires at the end of the year. Here's the link to the SY-401 study guide:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-401/dp/1939136024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418238277&sr=8-1&keywords=sy-401

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

madpanda posted:

where does lpic rate as far as linux certs?
There's zero reason to get it if you can get a RH*

madpanda posted:

I looked at the description for rhce and could get it with a bit of study/cbt nuggets and vmware.

I did SQA at a previous job and worked with linux a lot more then but it was 10 years ago and now I just use it on a secondary computer for basic tasks.
Judging from your work history and these statements, you could probably get a RHCSA with a bit of study. The RHCE would likely be a full week-long course, and even then, there's a lot of stuff you may be missing. It's a live, labbed exam, so this matters.

Get a job working with Linux full-time. Get your RHCSA. Go from there.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Alain Post posted:

STP's a killer on ICND2.

Gosh, yes, it is. I don't find it all that interesting, either. I think the layer 3 stuff is cooler, but that's just me.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Has anyone found a particularly useful book/study source for the Microsoft 70-680 and 70-685 (especially the 70-685), preferably something that helps prepare for the format and design of the exams themselves?

I just finished a class using the "Microsoft Official Academic Course" books for the two, but the 70-685 book was particularly badly written and looks like they didn't even give it a once-over for typos and errors. At this point I plan to continue to lab and work with all the tools introduced, and will be digging for more Professor Messer videos, but would like something that gives a more specific idea of the what the test is like. I'm a little worried that the cert exam will be full of shoddily written questions, like questions with one "correct" answer despite more than one of them being strictly true.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

Has anyone found a particularly useful book/study source for the Microsoft 70-680 and 70-685 (especially the 70-685), preferably something that helps prepare for the format and design of the exams themselves?

I just finished a class using the "Microsoft Official Academic Course" books for the two, but the 70-685 book was particularly badly written and looks like they didn't even give it a once-over for typos and errors. At this point I plan to continue to lab and work with all the tools introduced, and will be digging for more Professor Messer videos, but would like something that gives a more specific idea of the what the test is like. I'm a little worried that the cert exam will be full of shoddily written questions, like questions with one "correct" answer despite more than one of them being strictly true.

Agreed. For the 680, the sybex book was decent. For the 685 I just labbed like hell. It probably helped I'm on help desk and I was able to apply some of the stuff I was learning when dealing with incidents.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Remy Marathe posted:

Prefacing this by saying that I've yet to take the test, so take it with a grain of salt. This is all concerning the 70-680.

But I bought myself the Dan Poulton book, and my job bought me the William Panek book. Between the two of them I like the Poulton book best, though I've enjoyed having both of them.

I've been wondering how much additional studying will be required to pass the 685 exam when/if I get the 680 done with...

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

Sup got Security+ today buddy :hfive:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Sup got Security+ today buddy :hfive:

Hell yea!!

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Passed the ITIL exam. Woo-hoo

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
What is the SHSC consensus on MeasureUp tests? My job is trying to start purchasing some training material and asking me for recommendations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So it's been a while since Xendesk 7 hit. Is there still no decent actual book that I can read to prep for the exam, or am I just going to have to hope that the Xendesktop 7 Cookbook and an exam reference document are enough with day-to-day Xendesk support to get me through?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Will TestOut's LabSim and the Sybex book for Sec+ be enough for me to pass if I've never worked in InfoSec? I scraped by on my N+ using the LabSim solely, but since then I've read that Sec+ is much more in depth. I'm trying to tap every resource available to make sure I pass on my first attempt.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Will TestOut's LabSim and the Sybex book for Sec+ be enough for me to pass if I've never worked in InfoSec? I scraped by on my N+ using the LabSim solely, but since then I've read that Sec+ is much more in depth. I'm trying to tap every resource available to make sure I pass on my first attempt.

Seriously, just use the book in the op. I read the sybex book too and it's okay, but the one in the op is better. I didn't use the labsim stuff at all.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Seriously, just use the book in the op. I read the sybex book too and it's okay, but the one in the op is better. I didn't use the labsim stuff at all.

:sweatdrop: I should've asked before ordering the Sybex book probably. LabSim is supplied through WGU and sometimes the labs and quizzes help me I guess but they go on forever about mundane bullshit in the videos. Would you be willing to sell your copy of the book in the OP?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i am looking at both professor messer youtube videos and james conrads A+ cbt nuggets, and i STILL cant retain enough knowledge to say with any confidence ill pass the 801 and 802

i am literally dumber than poo poo :v:

does anyone even retain all of this once they pass both exams?

if so, can i borrow your brain?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I didn't retain poo poo. I barely passed the A+ and I'm deep in IT infrastructure now. Just keep trying, even when you're discouraged. Perseverance pays off in this industry.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

:sweatdrop: I should've asked before ordering the Sybex book probably. LabSim is supplied through WGU and sometimes the labs and quizzes help me I guess but they go on forever about mundane bullshit in the videos. Would you be willing to sell your copy of the book in the OP?

I've actually been using the wgu provided stuff less and less for the IT classes because yea the labsim guys go all over the place. I bought the book on my kindle so I can't sell it to you unfortunately. Are you planning on testing before January? If not you'll need the book for 401, although the wgu coursework includes both.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

I've actually been using the wgu provided stuff less and less for the IT classes because yea the labsim guys go all over the place. I bought the book on my kindle so I can't sell it to you unfortunately. Are you planning on testing before January? If not you'll need the book for 401, although the wgu coursework includes both.

No, I just started studying, so I was shooting for the end of January for my test date. I know they supply a digital copy of the Sybex but I seem to focus more and retain more knowledge when I study from an actual book. The temptation of opening another tab to browse the forums or Facebook or whatever always distracts me.

If I can skip the 20 hours of videos in LabSim and just do the simulations and quizzes that would be great and save me a ton of time, I might try that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Race Realists posted:

i am looking at both professor messer youtube videos and james conrads A+ cbt nuggets, and i STILL cant retain enough knowledge to say with any confidence ill pass the 801 and 802

Both of those test have you memorize a ton of random poo poo like how many pins are on a stick of whatever type of RAM. Just relax and take your time when you are taking the test. Might not hurt to just schedule it and see how you do. Split it up take the first one and get it out of the way and then you can focus on the next test.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
its weird because I can retain some Network+ knowledge just fine.

My plan is to use my student loans next year to take the 801, but from what I've heard comptia is retiring the 80x series fall of 2015 (the Network+ is retiring way earlier... gently caress :bang:)

I have to haul rear end basically :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 12, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Race Realists posted:

I feel like half the stuff they want you to study is material I will never see again in my life (RIMM? Daisy wheel printers? Come on man). I'm looking forward to finishing it and moving on to a more interesting cert as soon as possible!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I almost forgot about this thread, but I'm doing quite a bit of career exploration this weekend. This week I just passed 801, 802 averaging around ~825, and squeaked by network+ with a 780. Yay I'm not retarded :unsmith:

What should I expect to be doing (both immediately and in the far future on the field) if I want to a) dive into CCNA/P/etc. route to become a Cisco rock star or b) take up something with regards to Microsoft software? I'm kind of looking for general answers here, what positions in the field actually do and what their daily lives are like.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 12, 2014

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Vintimus Prime posted:

Agreed. For the 680, the sybex book was decent. For the 685 I just labbed like hell. It probably helped I'm on help desk and I was able to apply some of the stuff I was learning when dealing with incidents.
So are you able to describe the difference between the 70-685 compared to the 70-680? With the 70-680, there was so much "meat" in the microsoft academic course text, so many factoids and things I could see them testing me on I'm fairly confident I know how to study for it. But the only thing I know about the 70-685 is that it's "a lot harder" (per our teacher), that the MS text for it was vague about troubleshooting procedures and frequently inaccurate, and that they spent some time going over networking stuff in such a cursory and sloppy fashion that I'm not sure they're qualified to test people on it. The only concrete, testable thing they seemed to introduce was their rather forced categorization of security threats, also only discussed as a rough overview.

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard
Finished the Stanley VCP course and trying to get serious about studying for the test now. Any recommended paths?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Interpolator posted:

Finished the Stanley VCP course and trying to get serious about studying for the test now. Any recommended paths?

Get the Mastering VSphere book. Lab like a maniac.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How much longer is the VCP 5.1 test available, or is there even a 5.5 test? I've not kept up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How much longer is the VCP 5.1 test available, or is there even a 5.5 test? I've not kept up.

I asked the Stanly instructor and he didn't even know. He did say the 5.1 class is valid pre-req for the 5.5 test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

The Interpolator posted:

The exam really hits you hard on networking, storage, HA, FT, DRS, and troubleshooting. I wouldn't even bother with memorizing the minimums and maximums - I think I had one question on them out of 90. Focus on 5.5, download the objectives, and lab the gently caress out of it.